report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Medical Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Diamond Member

N-Acetylcarnosine eye drops

I've been researching this and the eye drop products sold for cataracts. I am at a dead end on trying to decide if this is a scam. I was interested in the results for animals.

You have Can-C eye drops, Brighter Eyes eye drops and Oclu-Vet eye drops as being said to be the best.

They have information on their web sites that make the product sound good but when reading forums and a couple of opinions form Veterinarians it doesn't sound like a product that would do what is advertised.

These products have been around for over five years and I am wondering why more isn't said about this being a scam if in fact it is. They charge a lot for the product and they advise you use a lot of it before you would see results.

I'm really confused about this one.

Hope some of you have experience with using one of these products or know something about this and will share.

It's difficult because if someone has a bad experience you wonder if it is an isolated case or if they used the medication in the wrong way etc.
Also all of the good testimonials are on their web sites and who knows if the information is true.

I haven't read anything about this harming the eye but I have read where people said it did no good ands felt this was a scam. Many more comments that were positive though.
The professionals who posted in blogs said there is no drop that will reverse cataracts.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Diamond Member

Re: N-Acetylcarnosine eye drops

My seven year old peek-a-poo, which is a Pekingnese Poodle mix developed a cataract. Finding an Ophthalmologist was difficult and a lengthy distance from our home and a regular vetenarian will not treat cataracts. I chose to try and treat this condition myself and bought CanC eyedrops in hopes it would take care of inflammation. I never really thought it would clear the cataract.

My dog had been seen by an ophthalmologist and had been taking a steroid eye drop but when I chose not to travel to see the doctor I quit using the steroid which is only given my prescription and purchased the CanC eye drops.

After five weeks of quitting the steroid eye drop and using the CanC my dog had lens luxation. This is a serious condition and I had to have emergency surgery done immediately. We got lucky and my dog still has vision but the surgery is quite expensive and the after care is intense.

Cataracts can and do develop into other serious conditions. Please take care when deciding to use a product like CanC eye drops and not choose to have your dog seen by an ophthalmologist and get the proper care. It can become extremely traumatic for yourself and your pet.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

I am skeptical of the claims.....
“The evidence for the effectiveness of N-acetyl carnosine eye drops is based on experience on a small number of cases carried out by a Russian researcher team. To date, the research has not been corroborated and the results replicated by others. The long-term effect is unknown. Unfortunately, the evidence to date does not support the 'promising potential' of this drug in cataract reversal. More robust data from well conducted clinical trials on adequate sample sizes will be required to support these claims of efficacy. Furthermore, we do not feel the evidence base for the safety is in any way sufficient to recommend its use in the short term. More research is needed”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcarnosine

Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Diamond Member

Yes

I feel this is a scam.

I was desperate and tried this product.

There are other products offering the same results.

I still have eighty dollars worth of the drops that were not used. I really don't care about the money wasted. Not having the proper medication for my dog caused a serious issue to happen.

This really is a shame because this product may cause people to have serious eye issues with their pet if the proper care is not given.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

Yes, I understand. I would do just about anything for my cat.

I am truly sorry about your dog eye problems.

But, I can tell he/she is loved and well cared for. That is the most important thing, and the thing your dog most appreciates.