report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Shorttask.com SCAM

I signed up to this site as a seeker to do work for them and after completing $50 worth of jobs i tried to cash out my money.... up until this stage it looked legit except for the fact that the help desk never responded to any of my support question but i didnt think to much of it at the time as i could see new jobs being posted all the time ..but after looking into a bit i noticed that all the new jobs were being posted by the same guy and when i completed $50 job which took my 2 days to complete the money was transfered into my account on the site shorttask but i could not with draw that money ...There is a option to do it on the site which is meant to withdraw your funds you have earned into your paypal account- but after serveral attempts at doing it it never goes into my paypal ...... Its really hard to prove and the site do not answer or respond to me not once about my concerns ...........and after that i google their name shorttask.com and saw other people with similar problems appartently the guy running the site is a known SCAMMER....

Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Re: www.shorttask.com is SCAM dont work them!!

He really doesn't have a very good reputation. For these types of small jobs you are better off using sites like mechanical turks or cloudcrowd. Both have good reputations.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: www.shorttask.com is SCAM dont work them!!

I just discovered shorttask.com recently and didn't get a good impression of it because it was a total rip-off of Mechanical Turk in its design. That's not something a reputable company would do.

I hope your money eventually made its way into your PayPal account.

Thanks for the recommendation for Cloud Crowd. They don't have work right now, but they're new and I think it's going to be a real hot work site. I have high hopes for it. I read their blog post and was impressed by what it said.

I also do work for Demand Studios and have money deposited twice a week into my account, so they're fantastic to work for and I can recommend them.

If anyone else knows of any good instant-work-instant-pay sites, I'd love to hear about them. I'm not a fan of the bid-for-work sites. It seems like a waste of time to put all that effort into the bid and then not get the job.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Newbie Member

Shorttask.com SCAM

I did a task on the shorttask.com web site about a month ago, and the task was supposed to pay $13.00. They were supposed to transfer the money to my PayPal account, but after the supposed transfer, I saw that the money never appeared in my PayPal account, nor was it left in my account on shorttask. After a week of constant emailing, I received an email from them, stating that they were having technical issues with PayPal, and that they were logging all withdrawal requests to be completed once these issues were resolved. Here I sit, a month later, with no money from them still. I just sent them another email demanding my money, and telling them to either send me a check, or send it to my AlertPay account. I'm calling shenanigans on these guys , because there's no reason it should take this long, and for me to have to repeatedly email them and complain, for me to get my money. I think they're screwing people. I've also looked these guys up, after the fact, of course, and I haven't read anything good about them.

Laurie

Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Re: Shorttask.com SCAM

Quote:
The most popular type of work assigned on ShortTask is search engine optimization-related work.
well, sorry, that is not honest work.

thanx for reporting that they also are not paying as promised.

Last edited by mumbles : 11-25-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
well, sorry, that is not honest work.

thanx for reporting that they also are not paying as promised.
Actually, the task I did for them had nothing to do with SEO. It was some sort of a useless site sign up that cost me nothing but about 3.4 seconds of my time. It was one of the only tasks worth looking at, as the others all looked spammy, and/or were scams from affiliates trying to pay people to click their referral links.

Also, why do you say that SEO isn't honest work? Reputable companies like Leapfoece, Lionbridge, Butler Hill, and Workforce Logic all hire independent contractors to do search engine evaluation, and they actually pay their people.

I do general transcription from home, and I *do* get paid for it. Is that also considered "not honest work" in your opinion?

L

Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

before SEO, the ranking in the search engine could be trusted. it meant that many people used the site. many people using a site without there being any scam warnings meant it was safe for me to use the site, too.

SEO is about faking, so that a new and unused site rises above the old and trusted site.

if any site uses SEO, i don't trust them. they don't get my money, same as companies that use spam or telemarketing. they just don't get my money and they don't get any money from anybody that asks me first.

you want to go to a doctor that cheated his way thru school?

you want a lawyer that has no experience?

you will certainly have an interesting life and many sad stories to tell.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Newbie Member

I do see your point, and you are correct in that no one should do business with anyone, web site, or personally, that has not been "tried and true" by others successfully, and that some of what they call SEO moves unfounded web sites up to the top of the search engines so that they appear before other, much more reputable sites in the results. I also know that there are people who pay a lot of money to have their site listed first on Google, or whatever engine. I don't have anything to do with that. I don't mess with tasks where the objective is to fraudulently push up a site's rating by tricking people into clicking some link, or where the objective is to obtain clicks on an affiliate web site. It's not a fair way to do things, and the search engines (and affiliate sites) should have a means of differentiating this type of traffic from the legitimate kind.

When I do tasks on Amazon, it's either transcription, or participating in study groups. I don't like SEO, so I don't mess with it.

The companies I mentioned in my last post do Search Engine Analysis, where they evaluate search engine results to determine if the results given are relevant to the search queries presented. Because what is the point of using a search engine if most of the results are not relevant to what you were looking for?

Laurie

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Newbie Member

From now on just stick with Mturk. I hear a lot of good things about crowdsource, but never got the chance to look into it.

Work From Home Jobs

Get paid from surveys

Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

The only problem is that Mturk is for US citizens only this is what drives people to signup on other companies and end up being scammed.