report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Nigerian Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Anyone know what kinda scam this is??

Here's the email that I got. It is in responce to my selling a World of Warcraft account (no flaming) .

"Good day and how is your day ?I am very sorry for not getting back to
you as expected,it is just that i have been very sick and i have been
receiving treatment,with the hope that my Wife was going to give you
an update about the payment.
But i just received the confirmation from my Secretary that the payment
has been issued out and was mailed by the United Parcel Service.It will
be delivered to your address 2 days from now according to the courier,and
it was my secretary who posted the payment,but to my greatest surprise,
She included the moving fee with your payment,instead of the actual amount
of the purchase, she made out the money order for $1,866.This was due to
the accumulated unpaid transactions undertaken by the mover in the past
weeks and they said they can't come and pick this up if I do not pay them
all together.So once you have the Payment,i want you to cash it and deduct
the money for the purchase.The remaining funds should please be sent to my
mover via Western union the same day you do receive the payment so that my
mover can make the trip over for the pickup at once.You will also have to
deduct an additional $30 to offset the cost of your run around expenses.**I
will need your immediate response via email assuring me that i can trust you
to handle this with care and have the remaining funds returned appropriately.
I am hearing impaired and will hope that your intentions remains noble through
out the duration of this transaction

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Re: Anyone know what kinda scam this is??

Yes, it is the "cash the fake check" type scam.

The scammer has no idea what a WOW account is and doesn't care. He sends the exact same copy/paste emails to everyone selling anything that he can find.

100% scam.

There is no buyer.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The "shipper" here is just the scammer using another of his free email address and fake names. He wants you to cash the fake check and immediately send him your cash via Western Union or moneygram before the bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

As you know, whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Newbie Member

their is a few ways of telling if it is a scam.
1) what someone already posted
western union or money gram.
2) not asking many questions about the product they are buying.
3) bad english. not always scams but a clue- Ask them where they are from then you should know.
alot of these scams come from Nigeria .they use scrips and send them to lots of people.

I do have a qestion though if they said to you. I am from Nigeria I am a 30year old male and i am poor and need help. would you help them answer. Yes/No

Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thanks guys. He sent me the money order which cost him $24. lol...

And if I were asked for help by a poor Nigerian, would I respond. I don't know. Depends on a lot of things (bills and whatnot being prime).

Back at ya. Would you answer?

Edit:
Here's Scammy Mcgees info

watjam01@gmail.com
James Water

Last edited by itshorton7 : 01-10-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

Advance check scams like this are not new, but new to many people, so anytime you receive something for nothing, and then are asked to pay, beware, they are all scams, and I mean all.

Who would send a check for a reason you cannot recall or never knew about, then think who would send you more than what was owed to you, if at all owed, no one, forget about it, these are all scams.

A few years ago when these first started popping up, they were playing on the honesty trap, most people will let down their guard when someone sends them a check first, up front, and if you cash it as instructed, many, many people will send in the small attached fees after seeing the check supposedly clear their bank, but did it, NO, it is more likely the bank processes it, but due to very clever use of fed. reserve routing numbers on check, it will not bounce back for up to a week in many cases, and here in lies the scam, your bank will do a charge back and you won't know about it for over a week in most cases.

Do not fall for any advance payment scams like described here, and never pay anyone to be paid for anything is the best advice. I have even seen certified and money orders now being used to further this scams effectiveness, and given the computer ability to make these checks and money orders, it is amazing how real then look, so beware, the more difficult the economy becomes, the smarter the scammers are.

Success to all,

Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I am currently dealing with the exact same scammer. The only difference was the money he apparently sent. I put an add out for a washer/dryer set because we're moving. He answered asking if I still have it and then he said he'd like to see it asking our address. In our add we stated we only take cash.

I googled his email he sent me and it sent me to this site. Here's his email to me, and I knew by this time it was a scam.

Good day and how is your day ?I am very sorry for not getting back to
you as expected,it is just that i have been very sick and i have been
receiving treatment,with the hope that my Wife was going to give you
an update about the payment.
But i just received the confirmation from my Secretary that the payment
has been issued out and was mailed by the United Parcel Service.It will
be delivered to your address 2 days from now according to the courier,and
it was my secretary who posted the payment,but to my greatest surprise,
She included the moving fee with your payment,instead of the actual amount
of the purchase, she made out the pay check for $2,150.This was due to
the accumulated unpaid transactions undertaken by the mover in the past
weeks and they said they can't come and pick this up if I do not pay them
all together.So once you have the Payment,i want you to cash it and deduct
the money for the purchase.The remaining funds should please be sent to my
mover via Western union the same day you do receive the payment so that my
mover can make the trip over for the pickup at once.You will also have to
deduct an additional $30 to offset the cost of your run around expenses.**I
will need your immediate response via email assuring me that i can trust you
to handle this with care and have the remaining funds returned appropriately.
I am Deaf man and will hope that your intentions remains noble through
out the duration of this transaction.Thank you and bless you.

I received another email today from him:

Good day seller,did you receive my email as regards the mistake on the
Payment.please let me know at once if i can rely on you to handle this
for me with proper care,i am sure i had this problem with secretary
because of my disability ,cos my secretary misunderstood me.
Thank you once again and please do not disappoint me cos i am really
bothered about this.

I never got his name, where he was from or anything like that. I even emailed him again telling him we only accept cash. So what do I do now? I contacted the FTC. We moved from that location so he does not have our new address, but he has my number and email. Should I change any of those? If I do get the money order I will turn it into the police, but I've heard these guys never get caught. How this guy can live himself I do not know.

I wanted to get these emails out so anybody else can see it to save them the hassle as well. *****slist--never again. That was my first experience and it's pretty pathetic.