report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Empire Who's Who

I got a letter in the mail telling me that I had recently been appointed as a biographical candidate to represent my city in Empire Who's Who AmongExecutive and Professional......I just have to fill out a questionaire and mail it back to be included in their Professional Registry. Site is www.empirewhoswho.com. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Empire Who's Who

Is this a scam?
I receive one of those letters, today, from Cambridge Who's Who. The letter reads a follows:

Dear [...],

It is my pleasure to inform you that you are being considered for inclusion into the 2006/2007 Cambridge Who's Who Among Executive and Professional Women "Honors Edition" of the Registry.

The 2006/2007 edition of the Registry will include biographies of our country's most accomplished women. Recognition of this kind is an honor shared by thousands of executive and professional women throughout America each year. Inclusion is considered by many as the single highest mark of achievement.

Upon final confirmation, you will be listed among thousands of accomplished women in the Cambridge Who's Who Registry.

For accuracy and publication deadlines please return to us your application form within five business days from receipt of this letter. There is no cost to be included.

On behalf of the Managing Director, we wish you continued success.

Sincerely,

Jennifer A. Gonzalez
Editor in Chief

The company is merged/affiliated with Empire Who's Who and Manchester Who's Who. The name Cambridge, itself, is associated with prestige in education, high level success and British royalty, if i'm not mistaken.

At this point, they've only requested that I fill out a brief application and return it to them (postage paid); they haven't asked me for anything else at this point. The return postage/application is double sided and no envelope was provided so that the info that I provide would be kept private while being mailed.

The address is:

333 Earle Ovington Blvd., Suite 240
Uniondale, New York 11553
(P) 516-742-7907
(F) 516-742-7906

Their domains are:
-www.cambridgewhoswho.com
-www.manchesterwhoswho.com
-www.empirewhoswho.com

The last two domains mirror the www.cambridgewhoswho.com site, with the same layout, color scheme, content and branding. The site is well branded, organized and uses streaming video reel. However it lacks information about the company's background/history and the people involved both past and present.

The botton of the letter I received states "Cambridge Who's Who is proudly NOT associated with any other Who's Who Publication or Organization".

I was wondering if this meant that it doesn't hold as much value as being listed in Who's Who in Music, Among Americans, African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, American Entertainers, American High School Students, Educators, Athletes, American College Students, and so on... Other Who's Who publications (The one's that I'm most familar with) are decades old and list some of the most prominent, well known and ground breaking individuals in modern society.

There are dozens of Who's Whos and National Lists out there. Aside from this one, does anyone know if the others are all connected?

Scanning the membership directory it seems that members range from accomplished independent consultants for MLMs to educators, lawyers, and other service providers; some are also CEOs of their own companies.

On the main landing page of the web site well known celebrities Kobe Bryant, Johny Carson (whom I believe to be deceased) and Wesley Snipes are listed. I'm curious if these celebs are/were members and whether or not they (or their estate) are aware that this company is using their profiles on their site. I wonder the same about other profiles on the site.

I'm curious to know where they got my name. I've been in a few Who's Whos in the past (High School/College). They all wanted me to pay to purchase the actual publication, which was crazy expensive. However I didn' t have to pay in order to be listed in it. Gaining recognition usually earned one a free listing.

I'm also curious of whether or not this is a scam or simply a potentially expensive, yet lucrative networking opportunity. While my letter states that there is no cost, comments on other sites report that they end up asking people to pay $400 some odd dollars to be listed. Would one get their money's worth?

I'd like to know if the membership login feature really works being that the member search module on the index page does not. Aside from being able to search a comprehensive list of members, does having a membership make one more recognizable among the other members? I mean, are my chances of networking with them higher just because I'm on this list? Will I get more business; will people not even give this accolade credit; is the company in it's former and current name known as a big joke; Is it really THAT prestigious?

And why did they merge/change their names, and for how long has the parent/original company(s) been around. Who runs this entity; why aren't there any profiles of the company's core staff/founders on the website?

Last edited by miomia : 08-09-2006 at 02:49 AM. Reason: to add more text

Old 08-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Diamond Member

Its intresting that upto 90% of their "featured" members joined in 2005. Does it mean that company is relatively new?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Newbie Member

I'm thinking that once you've paid a fee to become a member, you then have access to an extended version of that list. It would make no sense for non-members, or those who have not purchased the actual publication, to have access to all listed.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

http://www.ripoffreport.com/results....&submit=Search

Blanche

Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Newbie Member

I did a google search on "Cambridge Who's Who"

I found bios/CV's of several professionals who listed Cambridge Who's Who as one of their Awards/Acknowledgements. A few of lawyers, authors, realtors, educators, musicans, a communist dissident.... supposedly listed in different editions of the Cambridge Who's Who: business leaders, professionals, international, women, musicians,etc...

Many were listed in edititions published in the 1990's; however, the most recent press release on www.cambridgewhoswho.com states that Cambridge Who's Who resulted only after the Manchester and Empire Who's Who merger this year, 2006.

I'm wondering if there is a Cambridge Who's Who that originated in England, and if so, is it affiliated with the one of topic?

-----
Google search for "Empire Who's Who"

Here, Diane Howard, PhD of the Department of Communication at
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor lists Empire Who's Who in her CV.

But I also saw a complaint for Empire Who's Who in the above google results (Page 1).

A noted faculty member at Herkimer College - April 2006

--------
Google search for "Manchester Who's Who"

This person received a letter from Manchester Who's Who on 12/29/2005

This woman is thrilled!

-------
I'm seeing both complaints and listing of these 'Awards' by professionals and scholars.

Are the complaints from people who can't afford to loose so much money without getting a lot of incentive from paying it?

Are some these webpages staged to show that the's awards are being acknowledged by important people?

I don't know, if something is extremely prestigous the membership/recipient list tends to be more exclusive. At least , that's what I'm used to. Prestige is being accepted to Cambridge University, getting the Nobel Peace Prize, being a Rhodes Scholar, shoot, getting an MTV Music Award. Those people are clearly notable.

Last edited by miomia : 08-09-2006 at 04:16 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Newbie Member

Here is a post on www.ripoffreport.com originally posted on 7/29/2006. A rebuttal from a former Empire/Manchester/Cambridge Who's Who employee was posted on 8/7/2006.

I stopped by the USPS and dropped off my application. I'm very curious as to what their approach will be.

Last edited by miomia : 08-10-2006 at 02:23 AM.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I am new at Scam.com

:confused: I too received the flattering letter via mail. I filled in the questionnaire (after reading that I would NOT be required to pay any money in order to be listed).. and sent my information in.

I just received a phone call from one of their account representatives. She asked me a few more questions and then pleasantly announced that I had been selected to be a member of this elite group.

I thanked her for the honor and she proceeded to tell me that my welcome kit and bio draft would be sent via mail. I was to edit the bio and then send in the correct version for print. Soon to follow, would be my CD member roster, online password, and hard copy registry. I would also have a link to my company on their website, receive an official letter of congratulations and a Cambridge logo for advertising/PR purposes.

I was feeling really good and my head was swelling with pride.

THEN - she asked which membership I wanted.. the $400+ yearly rate with an additional $150+? for something (by this point my mind was spinning)... OR did I want the lifetime membership for just $675+??? or something like that.

I told her that as a biz owner, I never made financial decisions over the phone, especially when I didn't have documentation of the offer and benefits. I asked if something could be mailed or if there was a link on the website.

She continued to explain that since this was an "Honor" and not bestowed on everyone solicited to fill in the questionnaire - that there was no documentation she had. She even said, "after all, if there was documentation - there would be no need for me - your personal representative".. .

OK - by now, I KNOW I'm not giving her money but was still curious to see what kind of "honor" they were bestowing to me as a "stupid" biz owner caught up in the "exclusive" offer.... I asked her to fax something.

.... again.. she relayed that there is no documentation to fax.. only a credit card authorization form.... I said -- hey that's fine! Does it have the "benefits" I'll receive with my payment?

She said... I'll try to get something together and fax... give me 10 minutes... well-- it has been an hour and no fax. I really don't expect one.. and if I receive it... looks like this "elite biz owner" from NC will have to decline the offer to be "honored" for the low price of $$$$$$???

Cheers to you all! :D

Old 08-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Synergy in Action

^^ Good post. Pretty much clears this one up for me.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi. I rec'd the postcard and was immediately skeptical when it read I was nominated (by who??) for inclusion in their "list." Whatever. Out of curiousity, I filled out the card and sent it in.

3 wks later, after missing numerous phone calls from them at home, my hubby gave them my work # (he knows better :(

I am an RN in an extremely busy teaching hospital and when I took the call, some very pushy woman insisted on interviewing me right then and there after I politely told her (repeatedly) that I was too busy to talk to her at work, and offered to call her back. No, she needed to know right now if I would be interested in what she was offering (??) and if so, she needed $389 on a credit card RIGHT NOW. I knew then it was a scam and would have told her off if I wasn't surrounded by staff. I told her to give me her name/number and I'd consider it and call her. Not worth my time.

I know what a good job I do and don't need to pay anyone to "publish" me!
People, PLEASE be smart and don't let your ego mislead you..
noelle

Last edited by noelle007 : 09-06-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:44 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you all for clearing this up... I also recieved a phone call but I was told that thr $489 for the membership would cover me for 5 years not 1 year and that I would also receive 2 plane ticket vouchers.

Wow and to think I was actually excited when I got this letter... shows what a little flatery will do.

Are there any types of memberships out there that anyone knows of that will help network for web developers.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Unfortunately, it's my experience that Empire Who's Who is a SCAM. They tend not to fulfill their commitments without some kind of incentive. For example, they did not send me the items they told me about upon joining. I called, but to no avail. Then I was contacted about one of the calls I made, only to be provided an apology and some concern. However, within the same phone call she began to tell me about another promotion they were having. I refused to do any further business with until they corrected the problem and within a couple of weeks they fulfilled the obligation, except for one item which came about 8 weeks later after the call -- just like I was told. I gave them a second chance, but the same thing has happened. Therefore, , I do not recommend anyone joining this establishment -- Empire Whos' Who.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:52 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Empire Who's Who-Cambridge Who's Who

Just received my invite today-thanks to all of your postings, I will be using their dime to return the worthless postcard-with SCAM written across it in bold letters!!!
Thank-you everyone!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you all for the info.
After starting my own company, I too received the identical letter in the mail shortly after. Ego swelling, I sent it in. About 20 minutes ago, I got the identical phone call described earlier. After an interview process, I was delighted that I was actually accepted! After hearing about the prestigious benefits, the costs come: $689 for the platinum lifetime membership, which includes 2 airline vouchers to london, hawaii, etc. OR $489 for 5-year membership, plus an additional $199 for the cd-rom and directory. After asking for further details, I got the same response as NCWomanBizOwner. I told her I'd get back with her (it had to be by the end of the day, or my place would be taken), and I did a search and ended up here.
All I can say, real or not, anything that needs an immediate buying decision over the phone with NO documentation is fishy.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 AM
I am new at Scam.com

WOW, if misery loves company then you all are my friends! I got the letter in the mail and then the proceeding phone call as well. This was about 4 months ago. It started off with them wanting over 600.00, and I kept declining, the sales woman finally talked me into a 2 year membership for 189.00. I may as well have thrown that money out the window of my speeding car, as I have gotten ABSOLUTELY nothing from being a member. JUST yesterday, I received another phone call from EmpireWho'sWho, who is now CambridgeWho'swho. I was informed that the directory was going to print, and was asked if my billing addy was the same, as I was going to be billed 399.00 for this directory. I expressed my unhappiness with my purchase of this membership. I informed her that I was completely dissatisfied with the service, and she pretty much blamed me for not "doing the work myself". She then insisted I buy this directory. Apparently I could not live without it. I told her that I would not spend one more cent with the company, with whom I believe to be shady. She then dropped the price to 199.00, and still insisted that I could not live without this directory. I got a bit heated, as I now knew that it was all a scam. I asked if I could discontinue my membership, as it was not at all what I had been promised. "Absolutely not." Well, I learned my lesson the hard way. Yes as one of you stated, when I received the original letter, flattery got the best of me. Please, do not fall for this scam. IT IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY IT IS.

A disgruntled member of Empireswho'swho.

Victoria

Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Newbie Member

Yeah, the woman called me and left a message. Very snooty. Unfortunately, I never did get back to her since I've been busy. I don't think I'm missing out on much, however.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Watch out for these guys!!!! They'll promise you anything over the phone even to the point of lying just to get your money. Stay away!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I too received a post card and followed up with a call. Except I refused the initial offer. As the personal representative went through the interview and subsequently asked which membership I would like. I indicated the free one. They state that there is a basic listing. They transfer you to a recording that gives you the web address to have your name listed in the basic list.

They tried the free airline ticket with me too. No luck however.

Fortunately I did not lose anything financially.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I got offered a job from them today and something just FELT wrong, so I did an internet search for them and ended up here!

One of the same tactics on this side of it, too. I had to let him know TODAY if I accepted the position or not because training starts the day after tomorrow. I told him I wanted to think about it and call him back but he said I couldn't. I told him I'd call him back later today and he agreed to that. He was just offering me way too much money, considering I have no college degree and little office experience... and it just felt like things didn't add up. My gut feeling said something was wrong. Good thing I took the time to search around!

Thanks for the info, guys! Time for me to move on in my job hunt.

Last edited by RosaMaria : 10-15-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Cambridge Who's Who

I received their post card today. How thrilling for me....imagine, they want to list me in their 2006/2007 Cambridge Who's Who Among Firefighters, Officers and EMS Professionals! That's pretty good, considering I am none of the above! I'm the marketing contact for a company which MAKES products for the firefighter/EMS/Police market.....funny, huh? Gee, maybe I'll get an "opportunity" to be listed in a Police Officer edition as well....wouldn't that be special?

Thanks for the posts. Obviously, I knew this couldn't be a real award, but I'm always curious to see what others have to say about things like this.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I felt that I had been suckered into this today. I recieved the card and I filled it out. I talked to the person, they asked me all sorts of personnel questions and then immediatly "accepted" me into the directory.
I got them to offer a 1 year subscription for $100 (Which I thought, "hey, I'll put it on my resume, why not?) and I gave them my credit card.
Then, I immediatly started the google search and found this and other forum.
I called Cambridge back and got the voice mail. I decided that I felt decieved and called my credit card company. I put them on fraud alert, and then finally decided to just cancel my credit card before the charge even appeared.
I called cambridge and left another message letting them know.
About an hour later a person (not my "representative") called me back and was pretty courteous. He said "you did 15 minutes on online research, right?" Which, of course, was correct.
He canceled my account and I will not be billed. (He says).
So just a warning to anyone else who get's the buyers remorse 10 seconds after handing out your credit card number.
a) maybe these guys are useful for some people
b) maybe if you are polite and act quickly, you can get out of paying money, even though they claim "no refunds"
j

Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I was just listed in Who's Who Among America's Teachers 2005-2006, fairly legitimate although of course they try to sell you commerative items. And immediately received the application from Cambridge Who's Who. So I have to assume the first organization is selling their mailing lists..... Have not read anything good about Cambridge.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I receive my card in the mail, actually, two of them. I sent it back and this woman called and wanted to know my job duties. Everyone knows that when someone asks you these questions it's overwhelming if you hold several different roles within a small company. I tried to explain to her I have entirely too many "duties" she's requiring and asked her if she had a form I could just fill out. She said "No, I have to verify everything over the phone." I told her to call me back later.

She called me back today and walked me through all of the questions. I was purposely evasive because she seemed so pushy. I acted like I was lying, not sure what I did, not sure where I wanted to be in so many years, etc. If I couldn't think of an answer, she provided one FOR ME! No joke. "So it's safe to say that you..." They have a list of answers available for you if you need help embellishing your positions and goals. Lovely.

She got through the whole thing and said "I'm happy to announce that you are eligible to be listed..." I thought, "If someone can get listed with that little information, this isn't very reputable."

Then came the money request. For just $789 for a lifetime or $189 for a year, you get the book and disk to network with other Who's Who members. My guess is that this is just a quick way to get money out of people so unattached to their $$ that $789 or $189 are $2 to the average person and it's "no big deal."

I said, "I'm NOT interested" and hung up the phone on her, instead. :p

Seriously, a monkey could have gotten on this list. My view, don't waste your time and most certainly don't waste your money.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:32 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I've received similar offers, and all of them ended up the same as this one - they are all out for YOUR money.

Legitimate offers come from groups you recognize, such as professional organizations (American Society of Naval Engineers), academia (Phi Kappa Phi, school alumni associations) or verifiable civic organizations (chamber of commerce). They seldom require this sort of research to validate.

The fact that you did show up on their radar means your name is getting out there, although it may have more to do with your online or spending habits than anything else. :confused:

Regardless, you should feel good about this, but this should also indicate you are more susceptable to this sort of scam - so hold your head high, and keep your eyes open! :D

Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Bingo! Same thing just happened to me. Received intriguing post card followed with flattering phone call. When the woman asked me to describe my job duties (this was after reminding her that I sell real estate) I was like, duh! I was still glowing with pride when all of a sudden here came the sales pitch! ! ! :eek: She continued to ramble on about the different packages when I finally interrupted. Classic too good to be true feeling. Donít just walk away, run!

Buyer Beware!

J.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I believe this is a scam. I received a letter stating that I was "being considered for inclusion into the 2006/2007 Cambridge Who's Who Among Professional Women Pharmacists 'Honors Edition' of the Registry"...so here's why I think it's a scam right off the bat and I think everyone else should too, I'm 20 years old and I'm certainly not yet a pharmacist. I am, in fact, in pharmacy school but a legitimate organization should know better than to send a letter to a 4th year Doctor of Pharmacy student rather than an actual, licensed, pharmacist. Therefore, I leave you with the fact that in high school these letters are constantly sent out to students not intially asking for money, but asking for it later. They will actually put your name into some kind of bogus list, so if that's all you're looking for then I guess this isn't such a scam...but it is. Of course this is only my opinion but I hope this helps.

- Student Pharmacist -

Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Read This Everyone. I Worked For This Company For A Total Of 5 Days. Believe Me When I Tell You It Is A True Scam. They Hire You Telling You There Is No Selling. (lie) Then They Train You And Say There Is No Selling (lie) Then They Put You In What They Call The Pit To Call 15 Cards A Day And You Make These People Believe They Are Being Honored And Getting This Welcome Package In 10 Days Then Bam Here it Comes We Offer Our Members A Choice Of Plat Or Gold $789.00 Plus $199. For The Book Or $589.00 Plus $199. For The Book. Some of The Individuals Are I Guess Egotistical Enough To Buy This But Most Aren't Then You Just Go Down And Down In The Price Until You Hit The Last Amt. We All Were Promised To Make Atleast A $1000.00 Ck In Commissions A Week. Well I Made Nothing I Never Sold Anything. They Print The Welcome Package On A Regular Printer And The Book Is Sent Out To Be Bound And Most Never Even Receive There Welcome Package Let Alone The Book. They Also Have A Upsale Department Once You Buy They Want More Money For Something. Also Let Me Tell You The Office Itself The Trainer Is A Moron And The 2 Bombshells That Coach You In The Pit Are Nasty And Could Never Work At A Real Job. The Owner Surround Himself With Only Women. The Prettier The Better. The Pretty Ones Are Closest To His Office So He Can See Them And The Ugly Are Put All The Way In The Back So He Can't. The Turn Around In This Company Is Amazing Say There Are 10 In Training 2 Stay And That Is Also Short Lived I Spoke With About 40 Employees And No One Has Been Employed For This Company Longer Than 3 Months. Big Red Flag. My Advise To All Is Throw Away The Card. They Are A Scam

Last edited by vipersrt1989 : 11-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:02 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just got off the phone with Cambridge Whos Who. Yes, I received the card in the mail, and yes, I returned it promptly. Reason is, that I am an RN-new to the profession-and was a 'non-traditional' student while attending a 4 year university (in my fifth decade of life). I have worked hard in the past two years-gaining every credential and certification offered to me short of a Master's degree. Heck yeah, I am proud of my accomplishments-blah, blah, blah. And thought I was legitimately being honored-or 'nominated' by one of my collegues. I even researched it over the internet and found nothing that would alert me to this scam. Then today, when I received the phone call (which I let the answering machine pick up-thank goodness!), I dug a little deeper and was actually reading the post above when she returned the call, and as she-an 'executive'-was rattling off the sales pitch. I flat told her that I didn't need to PAY for any recognition-I am getting it through hard work, studying, and simply through my committment shown in my day to day work ethic and standards.
I just want to say thank you for being there with VALID info re: scams that even the most educated of us may fall victim to.

Last edited by jmacschiernRN : 11-21-2006 at 10:05 PM.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I am cautious by nature, and I love investigating things. So, when the mail room delivered this wonderful intivation to me about 15 minutes ago I immediately opened up google which lead me to scam.com. My heart goes out to all of you who fell into this trap. Best thing you can do is contact your local News and make sure word gets out to everyone - the louder the voice, the more attentive people become. What I really want to know, is how the heck did this company get my information? I would love to see these pigs being forced to walked up to every door and hand deliver cash refunds to the people for which they stole from.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Just received my invitation to Cambridge Who's Who. Since I do fraud education I researched them and yep it's a scam. I will turn this over to our BBB rep who does a morning show each week on the "most recent" scam. :eek:

Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I got the same letter. I decided to check it out online before sending anything in, but my pride sure got a wake up call. So glad there are others who have spoken up about this fraudulant Co. and saved some of us from the loss.

Best!

Old 12-09-2006, 04:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Has anyone complained to the postal service about this scam. Sure sounds like mail fraud to me. By the way, I received my notice in the mail today. I will promptly disregard it.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWomanBizOwner
:confused:
I told her that as a biz owner, I never made financial decisions over the phone, especially when I didn't have documentation of the offer and benefits. I asked if something could be mailed or if there was a link on the website.
Good for you! That is exactly the same thing I told them.

They also told me they had to get payment now because of the deadline and didn't have time to mail anything out. I said I didn't care if I'm in your publication or not, you contacted me. I also told them I have a good network of people I could rely on and I've done well without being listed in your publication, what makes you think you're going to help me any....besides, if there are people in my line of business on your publication they're probably competeting against me, not out to help me.

They tried to entice me with airline tickes. I told them I get enough frequent flyer miles every year to go anywhere in the world. If they send me tickets, I probably won't use it. She finally ended the conversation by transferring me to a recording to go to their website (URL/basic) and follow the instruction for a free listing.

I spent 10+ years in sales and had tried telemarketing a couple of times years ago while still in college (they are all scams, all based on lies. I walked out on the first place after 2 days, and second after a day). These guys hit you hard, and constatly trying to close. I knew every trick they were trying to employ. They always end their pitch with an affirmative such as "o.k"., or "is that alright" to trick you to agree (people like to agree). I always resonded with a "not ok" or "not alright". That really threw the telemarketer off...it was funny.

Anyways, they didn't get my credit card. I didn't go on the URL for a free listing either. At this point, I don't want my name any way associated with this company. I don't want to be listed in their "who's who of suckers".

Old 12-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennayee
I got a letter in the mail telling me that I had recently been appointed as a biographical candidate to represent my city in Empire Who's Who AmongExecutive and Professional......I just have to fill out a questionaire and mail it back to be included in their Professional Registry. Site is www.empirewhoswho.com. Has anyone dealt with this before?
I had a similar letter few years ago. I sent my data (using their forms), later I received a "galley proof" of my biography with an offer to buy their books (pretty expensive). I never saw my biography there because you need to subcribe to Who is Who or buy their books to see it. Apparently, it is just a way of marketing playing with the ego of people. People with a will to see his/her biography in a book might pay for expensive books.

I don't think is a scam. I think is just a way to sell their books making people believe they are important.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

you want to know, ask me...I worked for cambridge who's who for a total of 10 days, and when I interviewed I said to my husband, this is to good to be true, but I needed to work so I gave it a shot. To my suprise, I was told by the man that inter. me this was not a sales job, and no cold calling involved. Totally the other way around, you are trained by a couple of idiots, information is introduced to you like if you were a 4 year old, and you are told you should be able to bring home about $60k to $100 K a year. They move you then to the stupid pit, listen to everything you are saying on the phone. Which by the way for every excuse the potential customer gives you, there is a come back, to pressure the person on the other side of the phone to buy and give money. (example: "I need to speak to my husband about this" ) Cambridge-( I would love to give you all the time in the world, but due to strict publishing dead lines I need to know today) and my personal favortie (if customer is not interested, "with all due respect you did send in this post card and that is why we are calling" "we are not telemarketers") its a bunch of B.S. I was only in the pit for about 4 days and by the 2nd day I had given up, it did not feel good to me, they treat you like they own you, watching every step you take, how long you are gone while using the restroom, you are not allowed to take a break unless you have sold a membership. The last 2 days I was there, I was let go, because I did not sell. Eventhough I was told there is no sales goal. "THANK GOD" because everytime I walked away for lunch or a break I did not want to go back. This is a scam folks and they do buy there information from professional listings. Nothing Honorable about it.

From a very happy x-employee:
Buyers beware!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Well they have not stopped yet. They are starting off the new year with their sneaky tactics. Unfortunately, I have been involved in a real estate scam this past year so my antennas are definitely up. Today I receivd a call and I was thrilled. But the minute they started asking for money.....I said I don't think so. My response was I do not give money to an organization I know nothing about. I have to do my research first. Plus as a business owner I have a financial budget I must maintain and at this point I do not see this in my budget. And then she offered me the $189 or whatever it is....I told her to call me back this will give me a chance to look over my financial budget especially with this being a new year and all. I immediately got on the internet and came to you all. Something just did not feel right. And my resolve for this year is to go with my first mind. I am glad I did. It is horrible being part of a scam. I am still dealing with the financial MESS of the first and only scam I have been in. I am just tired of it. So I am not quick to give any information or my hard earned money out anymore......they need to be reported to dateline , 20/20 or somebody so that this can stop at least under cambridge..... :cool:

Texas

Last edited by DISHRMT : 01-03-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is absolutely a scam...they use strong arm tatics to get you to sign; refuse to answer Better Business Complaint Bureau; will not refund money; etc....I got caught. DO NOT JOIN UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY TO THROUGH AWAY.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is absolutely a scam...they use strong arm tatics to get you to sign; refuse to answer Better Business Complaint Bureau; will not refund money; etc....I got caught. DO NOT JOIN UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY TO THROw AWAY.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Empire Who's Who Former Employee

It is definitely a scam. I "worked" there for a total of 2 days and they let me go because "i was wasting money spent on the leads" bc i didn't make enough money. They say no sales experience necessary when you apply and in training and then the scumbag owner said to me on my 2nd day of work, " did u ever have sales experience?????".

Don't ever work for this company or buy from them. I have morals thats why i'm not working for this company, they are a waste of time. You don't need any brain cells to read off of a script that they have. AND There are no publishing deadlines as they say, and there is no computer in front of the person processing your order. They just want your credit card# right there and then and if u call to cancel, the 1 person that is customer service will probably make it hard for you!!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I am new at Scam.com

It was so nice to read this thread and know i was not alone!!!

I am an ex-employee of cambridge/empire whos who... These people are unreal... I lost my voice in my first week on the phone but the 2 floor managers were next to me desk whenever i was on the phone pushing me to make a sale and screaming at me because i wasnt talking loud enough... i mean are they kidding me? anyway so they fired me after the first week and said "we can't justify keeping you here if you are not making the sales".

Anyway, i felt so awful about myself everytime i read the pitch off to some innocent soul! When the managers would listen to me be sympathetic with people they insisted that I wasn't being pushy enough and everyone has the money for it... Just like I have $800 to put my name on a website that i can probably do for free by publishing my own website... GET REAL.

Anyway, so I just wanted to say, it's a total scam and if you get the card in the mail, dont send it back, and if you get the phone call, tell them you know they are a scam. And if I personally called you I apologize!!!! please forgive me!