report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Gold Member

The issue of Animal Rights

Should animals have rights? and if so, where do we draw the line? Cruelty to animals is one thing, but it appears that some societies like the SPCA, seem to employ people that enjoy a power trip over others and harass people about silly things when there is nothing out of the ordinary.

I am observing that these animal rights people are pushing a little too far and it appears they want animals to have more rights than humans.

I am looking for other opinions on this, and from a political perspective, there is something going on behind the scenes, if anyone is privy to such info.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:30 AM
"You will respect my authority!"

Re: The issue of Animal Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawb
Should animals have rights? and if so, where do we draw the line? Cruelty to animals is one thing, but it appears that some societies like the SPCA, seem to employ people that enjoy a power trip over others and harass people about silly things when there is nothing out of the ordinary.

I am observing that these animal rights people are pushing a little too far and it appears they want animals to have more rights than humans.

I am looking for other opinions on this, and from a political perspective, there is something going on behind the scenes, if anyone is privy to such info.
I have struggled with this myself to find out why these people have more respect for dogs and cats than people.
I’m not up on any of the peta/animal rights thing but I have my own insights into how and why this movement evolved, and why it became almost cult like.
It is a difficult case to state but I will do my best.
Somewhere around the middle of the Twentieth Century especially in the Sixties and beyond many of the traditional believes we had lived with, as Christians primarily, were re-examined and quantified in a more rational way than any other period of time in American History.
One concept that was called into question often was dominionism.

The dominionist interpretation sees adherents as heeding a command from God to all mankind to subject the world to the rule of the Word of God. The terminology of dominionism, and the broad concept of the trend described by critics, has been taken from the Bible's text in Genesis 1:26

“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

The ways that this was exhibited in man’s “dominion” over the beasts of earth fragmented into a kind of psychosis over the years. Especially when animals became a commodity in our society. The mindless cruelty that was used in slaughter and experimentation was medieval. But it was hidden from view. Freedom of Information Act and now the internet made knowledge of these abuses easier to obtain.
The problem that I see in the reaction to this is animal rights activists have become so extreme in an effort to turn this tide that they are developing a new form of psychosis.
Kind of a twist on the old fight fire with fire routine.

Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster : 06-25-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

I'm all for the humane treatment of animals -- I don't agree with some of the practices employed by KFC, for example. But in light of the AIDS epidemic in Africa, genocide in Darfur and the millions of poverty-stricken Sudanese, I find it curious as to what would move a person to dedicate his or her entire life to saving chickens.

The PETA episode of Southpark is an amusing, if exagerated, depiction of how absurd these groups can become at times.

Last edited by yossarian : 06-25-2006 at 05:36 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 AM

Take a look at this Penn and Teller video. Penn and Teller enjoy exposing scams, frauds, lies and the like.

http://media.putfile.com/petaBS/320

The only right an animal has is to taste good. ;)

With rights come responsibilities. So are you going to tell Mr Lion that eating Mr Zebra is violating the zebra's rights?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarClaws
Take a look at this Penn and Teller video. Penn and Teller enjoy exposing scams, frauds, lies and the like.

With rights come responsibilities. So are you going to tell Mr Lion that eating Mr Zebra is violating the zebra's rights?

Great video.

The part they show of Rodney Coronado teaching kids how to make Molotov Cocktails made me sick.

"I have been arrested thirteen times for random acts of kindness and compassion, following in the footsteps of of other routine radical lawbreakers like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mohandas Ghandi, Nelson Mandela and Jesus."

-Gary Yurovsky, PETA Spokesperson

...you have got to be kidding me.

Last edited by yossarian : 06-25-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Preying upon the weak and stupid.

heres how you give animals more rights than people:
instead of giving animals more rights, you give people less.
that means i can catch PEOPLE in baited cages and boil them instead of having them catch ME in baited cages and then boiling me.
really... Im just feeling lazy and dont want to catch my own food, and it ends up biting me in the @ss.
whats with that?
and that boiling water is NOT fun...

Old 06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Gold Member

Well I had an issue with an animal rights person where they were basically telling me that I had to have a certain length of chain yada yada. My first thought was that the longer the chain, the more they have to get wrapped around various objects and choke themselves to death if we weren't around at the time. It escalated to the point where I gave the dog away and I felt a strong urge to take this woman out with my 5 ton truck the next time I saw her sorry a$$ driving down the highway. I mean, to harass a person about their animal that wasn't starving, well fed, watered, taken care of and had room to roam is beyond me. Once a person has a complaint, it seems that you are never left alone. The complaint on me was the fact my dog got out of pen and was roaming around.

I really believe some of these animal rights folks have undealt with childhood issues that in childhood, the animals were their "safe haven" in their otherwise crappy or abusive filled childhood years and so their goal in life is to keep that "safe haven" alive. But to go to extremes where the animals are to be treated like humans is getting a little ridiculous. Go get some mental help before someone decides you need to be put out of your misery. It's another case of people being encouraged to stick their noses in other peoples' business.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

I am a life-long member of P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals) and see no need to change that fact. :D

Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarClaws

I'd be the first to send out the animal rights activists to have a chat with Mr Lion....right around dinner time
;)

Old 06-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Weishaupt
I am a life-long member of P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals) and see no need to change that fact. :D
as long as they're extra tasty crispy :p

Old 06-25-2006, 04:29 PM
-- ---- --------, ---- ----.

My wife and I run a small horse rescue operation in Kentucky and from our perspective, on horses anyway, there are a lot of horse owners out there that need to be taken out and shot. We've seen horses that look more like skeletons and the state can be fairly light on the guilty parties.
We have a contact with PETA who helps us out by putting pressure on local government agencies when necessary... though I think PETA goes a bit overboard on other issues. KFC, for example, does not run the slaughter plants... they buy their chicken from area processors. Unless PETA thinks chicken shouldn't be fried?!?!? But, the last time I looked the chickens were dead when they're put in the fry-basket...

Anyway... Rawb, when the dog was tied up did you'all still show him attention, let him loose for periodic exercise/play, keep his area clean? I'm certain you did... but many people don't... that's why the longer chain.

If PETA serves any purpose at all it is to raise awareness. The attached photo is of a horse, in Kentucky, that was starved and abused (standing by the trailer). She was part of a small horse show/ride (you know... the Pony Ride you sometimes see at small fairs). She was still being worked! She was confiscated and taken to a rescue run by a friend of ours... she didn't make it and died within a short period. Her name was Lucy.

The other two photos are of Lucky... seriously neglected, he almost died... and would have if not for the efforts of a Missouri horse rescue. the collage is the most recent photo we have of him... well into recovery.

Support your local humane organizations.

Last edited by PaulM : 06-25-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:21 PM

Find a rescue in your area to help

http://www.equinerescue.com/staterescues.html

http://www.ilph.org/

http://www.netposse.com/index.html

Old 06-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM
My wife and I run a small horse rescue operation in Kentucky and from our perspective, on horses anyway, there are a lot of horse owners out there that need to be taken out and shot. We've seen horses that look more like skeletons and the state can be fairly light on the guilty parties.
We have a contact with PETA who helps us out by putting pressure on local government agencies when necessary... though I think PETA goes a bit overboard on other issues. KFC, for example, does not run the slaughter plants... they buy their chicken from area processors. Unless PETA thinks chicken shouldn't be fried?!?!? But, the last time I looked the chickens were dead when they're put in the fry-basket...

Anyway... Rawb, when the dog was tied up did you'all still show him attention, let him loose for periodic exercise/play, keep his area clean? I'm certain you did... but many people don't... that's why the longer chain.

If PETA serves any purpose at all it is to raise awareness. The attached photo is of a horse, in Kentucky, that was starved and abused (standing by the trailer). She was part of a small horse show/ride (you know... the Pony Ride you sometimes see at small fairs). She was still being worked! She was confiscated and taken to a rescue run by a friend of ours... she didn't make it and died within a short period. Her name was Lucy.

The other two photos are of Lucky... seriously neglected, he almost died... and would have if not for the efforts of a Missouri horse rescue. the collage is the most recent photo we have of him... well into recovery.

Support your local humane organizations.
That is horrible. I have seen some rescue operations for saving some horses before and they look just like the pics you posted. The owners went away and supposedly left a caretaker behind to make sure all of the animals were fed etc... apparently, he wasn't doing his job and a couple of the horses had to be put down once the rescue crew came on the scene, as they wouldn't have survived. Most were taken in and appeals for donations to help with the costs of reviving the herd consisting of 17 horses and half a dozen dogs were made public.

I don't condone cruelty to animals in any way, and I don't believe in hunting animals either. If it wasn't for others doing the slaughtering, I wouldn't ever eat meat. I am pretty much vegan, as we never buy any meat for the house. Once in a blue moon, we'll buy eggs, and rarely some cheese. That's about it.

The thing I am observing is there are so many homeless people, and many people would rather try and save animals instead of another fellow human being. Noone appears to care for the homeless and then try and justify why they shouldn't be helped (ie. it's their own choosing etc...)
Hence my theory that childhood issues make it easier for a person to try and cling to that animal from their past that helped them through their childhood years. And animals are faithful and don't stab people in the back, which makes it all the easier to choose animals instead. I have heard many people say that they like animals better than people.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 AM

I can understand your position... I used to hunt (only when I knew I had someone who would use the meat), but not any more. My wife and I differ on the horse slaughter issue... she wants it banned altogether where I believe that if the horses are raised solely for their meat... like cattle... then I don't have a problem with it. Sport/pet horses should be retired and allowed to age gracefully, in a good home, until their death.
We do what we can for the homeless... donations to local soup-kitchens of food/clothing & regular donations to local charities... that kind of thing.
I think the key to helping both type of issue, human and animal, is to do what one can, when one can.

I don't know about animals not 'stabbing you in the back' *lol* One of our rescued horses had a cut at his left hock (rear leg... similar to our knee). It got to the point that when I'd try to put his medicine on it he'd back away. If I got him in a position where I could get to the leg then he'd try to kick me. He once thought I was going to get his dinner & tried to kick me... & I don't even like horse feed *lol* He's trusting me again now, but I like to keep one eye on him anyway :)

Old 06-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawb
Well I had an issue with an animal rights person where they were basically telling me that I had to have a certain length of chain yada yada. My first thought was that the longer the chain, the more they have to get wrapped around various objects and choke themselves to death if we weren't around at the time. It escalated to the point where I gave the dog away and I felt a strong urge to take this woman out with my 5 ton truck the next time I saw her sorry a$$ driving down the highway. I mean, to harass a person about their animal that wasn't starving, well fed, watered, taken care of and had room to roam is beyond me. Once a person has a complaint, it seems that you are never left alone. The complaint on me was the fact my dog got out of pen and was roaming around.

I really believe some of these animal rights folks have undealt with childhood issues that in childhood, the animals were their "safe haven" in their otherwise crappy or abusive filled childhood years and so their goal in life is to keep that "safe haven" alive. But to go to extremes where the animals are to be treated like humans is getting a little ridiculous. Go get some mental help before someone decides you need to be put out of your misery. It's another case of people being encouraged to stick their noses in other peoples' business.
It sounds like you just got an extra vigilent caseworker. I work with the humane society, can have people arrested and everything but we don't go to the kind of extremes that apparently one did in your area.

On the other hand, some people chain dogs too tightly around the neck, rarely water or feed and never pay any attention to them. This is especially true with Pit Bulls which if in the right family are extremely loving animals but definitely need to be trained. And I've witness a lot of Labs (bit.ches usually)in deplorable states after whelping. These idiot owners don't realize you do have to feed them extra or the pups will get all the nutrition. Puppy mills are a problem in this area. Don't ever purchase a puppy from a pet store. Most of them come from puppy mills and their mother's are usually pathetic little creatures living in wire cages like rabbit hutches.

Lady Mod

When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to
seek it elsewhere.
---= Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Old 06-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojustask
It sounds like you just got an extra vigilent caseworker. I work with the humane society, can have people arrested and everything but we don't go to the kind of extremes that apparently one did in your area.

On the other hand, some people chain dogs too tightly around the neck, rarely water or feed and never pay any attention to them. This is especially true with Pit Bulls which if in the right family are extremely loving animals but definitely need to be trained. And I've witness a lot of Labs (bit.ches usually)in deplorable states after whelping. These idiot owners don't realize you do have to feed them extra or the pups will get all the nutrition. Puppy mills are a problem in this area. Don't ever purchase a puppy from a pet store. Most of them come from puppy mills and their mother's are usually pathetic little creatures living in wire cages like rabbit hutches.

Lady Mod
Yeah, I've heard of puppy mills too. Not exactly humane conditions for the animals. Just people using the offspring for money only.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Diamond Member

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures..... right next to the mashed potatoes.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures..... right next to the mashed potatoes.
Bambi would taste good with mashed potatoes.