report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Corporate Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Belangers Belangers is offline
Scammed Buyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 8
Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

No matter what you do, don't ever buy a green dot prepaid credit card. Use Netspend if you are smart, you'll save a lot of money and headaches. Green dot costs $10 for the card, and $4.95 to load it. The funds are never available for hours , sometimes days. And there customer service reps are from The Phillipines. They are the biggest liars. Their commercial says the card is good for purchases immediately, and worldwide. Well hear this. I put $100 on a new card, went to make a purchase from overseas, and declined, 3 times. Now, I called them and they told me for security purposes, the temp card doesn't work overseas. So I asked their CS rep where he's from, he said the US. I said "what?", then he said I am from Phillipines, and my company is from the US. I told him I can't make a purchase from overseas, but they could hire from there? Not too fair. Plus, it's false advertisement. Then I told him I want my $100 bucks back, and the load fee of $4.95, he said yes, 2-4 weeks you get check. An hour later my purchase is put through.

They sent me a permanent card in the mail. Like a dummy, I needed a card to use for my online business, and loaded $400 dollars on it. I added it for payment to my distributors account. First purchase declined. I tried to buy something online.. Declined. I log into my checking account, try to add funds, the bank account has a charge and then $25 overdraft. Then my site makes a sale through PayPal. No funds, denied, lost 12.95. I want them to pay all of it. My green dot account says $400 loaded, but $2.95 available. Ripped off. So much for immediate usage like they advertise. I think a nice law suit is in the house. Ladies and Gents, do not buy these piece of s#€t cards, they charge a monthly maintenance fee for non usage, plus a per purchase price too. My card loses like $4 per month If I don't load $1000.

It really sucks the big one of Abraham... Bad!


Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Green Dot Corporation Green Dot Corporation is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']We are truly sorry for any inconvenience. Green Dot is committed to offering our Customers the best value for their money. We never charge overdraft, penalty, per purchase or customer service fees. And customers don’t pay the monthly charge in any month they make at least 30 purchases or load $1000. Plus Direct Deposit reloads and cash withdrawals at thousands of participating ATMs are FREE! We have done our best to highlight our simple fee plan and card guidelines by clearly posting them on our card packaging and website. We have an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau, the leader in advancing marketplace trust. But, we do understand that this card may not be a perfect fit for everyone.[/font]

Please email us at custcareref@greendotcorp.com including your full name and a contact number if you are in need of further assist you.



Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Meri Widow's Avatar
Meri Widow Meri Widow is offline
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,252
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dot Corporation View Post
We never charge overdraft, penalty, per purchase or customer service fees. And customers don’t pay the monthly charge in any month they make at least 30 purchases or load $1000. Plus Direct Deposit reloads and cash withdrawals at thousands of participating ATMs are FREE!
Gee, thanks for restating what the OP already said, how precisely is that helpful or are you just posting an ad here?
__________________
Found a scam email or fake website? Post your info over at ScamWarners.com

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
brywilson2's Avatar
brywilson2 brywilson2 is offline
Hating everyone equally since 1966
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,586
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Personally, I use account now.

$9.95 activation fee, and 4.95/month fee, no per-use fees except for ATM, netspend charges $1.00 for a purchase, even a 79c candy bar!
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
BrianM BrianM is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 314
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywilson2 View Post
Personally, I use account now.

$9.95 activation fee, and 4.95/month fee, no per-use fees except for ATM, netspend charges $1.00 for a purchase, even a 79c candy bar!
Personally I use something called a bank... you know... debit? free purchases, unless its gas or some piece of junk 45 cent purchase fee at a gas station.

Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Electronic Advanced Electronic is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Personally I use something called a bank... you know... debit? free purchases, unless its gas or some piece of junk 45 cent purchase fee at a gas station.
Did you ever get your account wiped out from purchases online?

I did, that's why I spend a little extra on prepaid to protect my money. Load whatever you need to spend on the card, and thieves can't take anything because it is not there. But, when you use Green Dot, you pay ten bucks for the card, and $4.95 everytime you load it. You can only load it in preset increments, like$20, $50 $100, $200, $400 at a time. Netspend is designed for somebody like me. $10 to buy the card... Then $1 to load any custom amount you want... then a $1 fee when you buy something online...

With Green Dot, I needed to load $725 ... so do the math, and figure out what it cost me...cost me $20 to load it... and I have $25 I have to withdraw adding an atm fee of $2..
So they robbed me of $22 bucks, and the funds aren't even immediately available because the service sucks... Netspend is right there all the time. And If there is a problem, they have Americans on the line helping you, not Philipinos or Pakistanis

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
BrianM BrianM is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 314
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Electronic View Post
Did you ever get your account wiped out from purchases online?

I did, that's why I spend a little extra on prepaid to protect my money. Load whatever you need to spend on the card, and thieves can't take anything because it is not there. But, when you use Green Dot, you pay ten bucks for the card, and $4.95 everytime you load it. You can only load it in preset increments, like$20, $50 $100, $200, $400 at a time. Netspend is designed for somebody like me. $10 to buy the card... Then $1 to load any custom amount you want... then a $1 fee when you buy something online...

With Green Dot, I needed to load $725 ... so do the math, and figure out what it cost me...cost me $20 to load it... and I have $25 I have to withdraw adding an atm fee of $2..
So they robbed me of $22 bucks, and the funds aren't even immediately available because the service sucks... Netspend is right there all the time. And If there is a problem, they have Americans on the line helping you, not Philipinos or Pakistanis
My bank is free deposit, free debit, and free ATM... if its at the location which is just fine with me to be honest.

Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Curt D Curt D is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dot Corporation View Post
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']We have an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau, the leader in advancing marketplace trust.
If you look at these sites, people often wonder just WHY Green DOT has an A+ rating. Including ME! http://www.trustlink.org/Ask-The-Com...-A-rating-4598

http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Gre...tion-205924704

I purchased a Green Dot card to have my direct deposit. At that time, I lived at the YMCA here in Phoenix, AZ. I had no problems but, as soon as I move to a real apartment complex, they cancel my card and say, "I'm sharing my personal information and that at least 10 other people have Green dot cards at my apartment complex." Greendot obviously don't recognize individual apartments as ONE household! I am only the second person to ever occupy my apartment as they are kind of new. Well, they sent back my direct deposit and it took over three weeks for me to be reissued my money. However, I incurred $75 in late fees and, an eviction notice that goes against my credit rating. MAJOR damages! No, the BBB does not help! Green dot did however offer me $25 for my troubles (Cara Almon) called me and she offered that. Humm, $75 out of pocket late fees and a damaged credit. Do they really think that $25 will ** me off? NO! Green dot are thieves, scammers and they discriminate!
If any one wants a good card, get Bank Freedom! bankfreedom.com I've used them since Green Dot and, I have had no problems with them at all!

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Heaven70 Heaven70 is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Watch Out for Overdrafts: Green Dot Cards

I am so MAD! Green Dot is supposed to be a "Prepaid" credit card. I had my SSI and Disability direct deposited onto mine. Three weeks ago I log into my account and see that I was supposedly $298.00 OVERDRAWN!!! Now I ask you, how can you be overdrawn on a PREPAID account??? So I canceled my account. Now the SSA accidentally sent my direct deposit to my Green Dot account (which was CANCELLED three weeks ago. Yet Green Dot has NOT returned those funds to the treasury so that they cpuld send it to me. As a result I am at risk of losing the roof over my head and my power (and it is in the 20's here). I have reported them to the FDIC because the FDIC backs Synovus Bank (which is the bank the Green Dot Corporation uses!! Check your account closely if you still have a Green Dot card!!!
__________________
Heaven

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Heaven70 Heaven70 is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt D View Post
If you look at these sites, people often wonder just WHY Green DOT has an A+ rating. Including ME! http://www.trustlink.org/Ask-The-Com...-A-rating-4598

http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Gre...tion-205924704

I purchased a Green Dot card to have my direct deposit. At that time, I lived at the YMCA here in Phoenix, AZ. I had no problems but, as soon as I move to a real apartment complex, they cancel my card and say, "I'm sharing my personal information and that at least 10 other people have Green dot cards at my apartment complex." Greendot obviously don't recognize individual apartments as ONE household! I am only the second person to ever occupy my apartment as they are kind of new. Well, they sent back my direct deposit and it took over three weeks for me to be reissued my money. However, I incurred $75 in late fees and, an eviction notice that goes against my credit rating. MAJOR damages! No, the BBB does not help! Green dot did however offer me $25 for my troubles (Cara Almon) called me and she offered that. Humm, $75 out of pocket late fees and a damaged credit. Do they really think that $25 will ** me off? NO! Green dot are thieves, scammers and they discriminate!
If any one wants a good card, get Bank Freedom! bankfreedom.com I've used them since Green Dot and, I have had no problems with them at all!
yes! They tried to charge me $298.00 in an overdraft!!! HOW can you have an overdraft on a prepaid card? I reported them to the FDIC.
__________________
Heaven

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Boatdoctor Boatdoctor is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Re: Green Dot Prepaid Card Scam

I was scammed by emporiumcloseout.com out of a purchase for a new toolbox. I paid for the tool box with a GreenDot MoneyPak. After getting an email confirmation that my order was received and processing, a week went by. Then, it turns out this “company” has disappeared- website is offline, phone disconnected, emails are bouncing back.
So I contact GreenDot to dispute the transaction.

GreenDot Corp. stated they knew where the funds went. They have some person’s name, address, contact information and won’t release it without a subpoena. Since that card where my MoneyPak was loaded has no money in it, they (GreenDot) won’t refund me my money. GreenDot is protecting the guilty, and making it near impossible for the victim to resolve a loss.
Having done some browsing on the internet regarding GreenDot complaints, there are more bad than good.

I am hoping to get the attention of a class action lawyer, to take action against Green Dot Corporation.

Please visit my Facebook page and tell your story.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Dot-Scam/363956476967377?skip_nax_wizard=true


Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepaid Debit Card Scams Administrator Nigerian Scams 0 05-29-2012 12:36 PM
Anyone buy hydroxatone with prepaid card? flinrae23 Chat Here 5 04-15-2012 12:46 AM
green card jamaica Business Scams 2 07-09-2011 01:43 AM
Virtual Prepaid Visa Card syolie Internet Scams 11 12-26-2005 11:02 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. Scam.com does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the User’s own risk. Neither Scam.com nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom. Just because a business, person, or entity is listed on scam.com does not necessarily constitute they are scammers. This is a free open forum where people can debate the merits from the consumer's or business owner's perspective. Registration and participation is always FREE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.




Scam.com Is Proudly Hosted By Rackco and Protected By CloudFlare


Scams Message Board - Copyright 2004-2013 Scam.com , All Rights Reserved.