report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

AVG Internet Security SCAM SCAM SCAM

I purchased the AVG Internet Security 2010 last year. In December (last month) I began receiving a notice that it was going to expire at the end of the year. (2011) On or about December 14th, I decided I better upgrade to the 2011 AVG security program. I went to their site fully prepared to pay and there was an offer for me to upgrade for free in lieu of the $34.99 if I take Netflix for the trial 30 day period. I never had Netflix before and had thought about getting it so I thought this was a good investment.... so I signed up. I immediately received an email telling me that I would receive a confirmation letter with my upgrade license number in 5 minutes. I waited and waited and waited and it never came. I went on the AVG site to see what went wrong and I was directed to an online chat customer service person. I was treated like an idiot...like I was stupid and this person was extremely rude to me. Thus began a month long fight with AVG which ended 14 minutes ago. I emailed daily and at one point, for about a week, they did not respond to any of my emails. Now, since 2 days ago, they are telling me once again that I never signed up yet I emailed them the email I got from them telling me I went through the trial pay. They now tell me since I never received the confirmation email, there is nothing they can do about it yet the confirmation email was suppose to come from them. I have all the names, all the emails, all the correspondence...I even saved the chat conversation with the rude customer service person.

What I have learned:
1. Find a new Internet Security provider. (they should be paying me for all the business I sent them)
2. If you think you can get something for nothing...think again.

I have enclosed the conversation:

Welcome to AVG Customer Services. Our Pre-Sales representative will be with you shortly. Estimated waiting time is 0 minutes and 48 seconds.
You are now chatting with 'Stanislav'. How may we help you?
J.C.: I am waiting for my confirmation for upgrade to AVG 2001 Premium
J.C.: Stan...are you there?
Stanislav: yes I am
J.C.: ok...just checking
Stanislav: what do you mean by confirmation for AVG 2001 Premium
J.C.: I went to upgrade my AVG...it had some offers..I completed an offer for a free upgrade and have not yet received it.
J.C.: 2011
J.C.: sorry
J.C.: typo
J.C.: hello?
Stanislav: where did you do that?
Stanislav: what was your current program?
J.C.: I did that through your website..here is the link I followed: http://www.trialpay.com/checkstatus/?c=ecee747&id=3648
Stanislav: This is a trialpay offer
Stanislav: I need to escalate your issue to our business department
Stanislav: they will contact you on your email address
J.C.: 9.0.872
J.C.: no..its not a trialpay offer for the AVG 2011 Premium...
J.C.: its a trialpay for Netflix
Stanislav: the link you provide me is for trialpay
Stanislav: correct
J.C.: The instructions said once I complete one of the offers..I will be able to download for free the AVG 2011 Premium...
Stanislav: ok
J.C.: I completed the offer
Stanislav: but do you have the license number?
J.C.: It said refresh the page to check your status and check my email for download instructions...the email never came
J.C.: I have the license number for the program I have installed,,yes
Stanislav: can you give it to me
J.C.: If I have to wait until the trialpay is over with Netflix I will not have protection..my current program will expire in 16 days
J.C.: 8USR-NJ720-NSWKK-YW8EA-69GU0-SESUM
Stanislav: This is not the license number for that offer
Stanislav: just wait and we will send it to you
J.C.: That license number I gave you is from my current protection with AVG.
J.C.: I am waiting for the new license number to upgrade for 2011
Stanislav: ok
J.C.: The offer said I would get it in 5 minutes
Stanislav: we will send it to your email address in a few days
J.C.: It said a few minutes...not days
Stanislav: the problem is not at our end
J.C.: I already called Netflix and they say it is
Stanislav: contact netflix then
Stanislav: we need more time to locate it
J.C.: They sent an email to you for me
J.C.: You have to give me the upgrade license
J.C.: thats where we are in this transaction
Stanislav: I do not have it
J.C.: Who does?
Stanislav: That is why
Stanislav: i transfered your issue
J.C.: Can you please give me the number to Customer Service so I can resolve this?
Stanislav: No
Stanislav: they do not ahve a phone number
Stanislav: and that is the best we can do about that
J.C.: Why are you in customer service? You are very rude.
Stanislav: I am not rude
Stanislav: I told you that this is what we can do for you
J.C.: You are to me and I am the one who counts..correct?
J.C.: Are you not responding again?
J.C.: Rest assured I have copied this entire conversation and intend to take it the company. Enjoy your day!!
Stanislav: that is not corect
Stanislav: Thank you for chatting. Have a nice day.
Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: AVG Internet Security SCAM SCAM SCAM

lol he was not rude at all, he was just telling you what he knew. lighten up a little.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

That's your opinion. We obviously don't share it.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

I think it is not a scam. Or if you still feel it is a scam then I would advise you to choose another antivirus program and use it. I would recommend that you choose Microsoft Essentials it is free and you will have regular updates.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

That is rather strange for a company like AVG to be partnering with a questionable affiliate program like that. My guess is that it was more of a problem with TrialPay.

I did a quick search for "AVG Trialpay" and it appears they still have that offer page up somewhere on their site, as it's showing up in Google's index. However it is on their "free.avg.com" subdomain. If I had to guess, they were probably running a joint offer through Trialpay, whereby Netflix was buying leads from AVG via TrialPay, with TrialPay as the middleman.

Netflix probably did the math and determined a cost per acquisition they were willing to pay to get a new customer in the door, with the assumption that the average customer will stick around for X amount of months, so it would still be profitable for them overall on average.

The reason your serial number didn't show up right away may have been because they needed to wait until the next day or two for your "conversion" to show up in their reporting, before they could send out the serial number to you. In other words, AVG may get a batch report of "conversions" from Netflix the following day, then AVG may send over a batch report to Trialpay to issue the serial number the day after that. Obviously they shouldn't have said you would get it within minutes if that was the case.

The TrialPay customer support people likely had no means of getting the serial from AVG right away until AVG had the conversion showing up in their reporting first. This is the BS you have to deal with when fooling around with third parties trying to get commissions from selling leads.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Like others have said, this is just your opinion and I definitely don't agree with it. I think that AVG is one of the most reliable and amazing virus protection softwares out there.