report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Prepaid Shipment payments via Western Union

Offer to purchase my used car was made via the internet, stating that the purchase price plus shipping cost has been made via Paypal, but asking that the shipping costs be sent via Western Union. After proof that the funds have been sent, then the funds would be deposited in my Paypal account. Verification was made with Paypal who indicated that they make no such arrangements, and that when payments are made to a seller's account, they immediately are shown there. A spokesperson with Paypal declared this a scam. Fortunately I was wary and checked with Paypal before proceeding.

Last edited by Petermat : 09-30-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Re: Prepaid Shipment payments via Western Union

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

A fake buyer will:
1) Insists you use their favorite never-heard-of-before shipping/courier company that will show up at your door without you doing anything and has a crappy 2 week old website made on a free template and hosted by a free or really cheap hosting site
2) Demands you cash the only check they can ever write in their entire life and send cash to the only shipping company in the entire world that only accepts cash and not credit cards, debit cards, paper checks, e-checks, bank transfer or paypal, is using a free email address and their website is "down for repairs/construction/remodeling".
3) Requires you use this ebay/yahoo/escrow buyer/seller protection program "for your protection" which uses a free email address and says you must send the MTCN# and question/answer immediately as this 'huge well known' company couldn't possibly accept a check, credit card, debit card, bank transfer or anything except cash sent via Western Union/moneygram while both the buyer and escrow agent use incorrect grammar, misspell common words and basically write like a poor primary grade school student

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow. Here's the lastest look alike scammer. I put my old car up for sale on a old car website classified. Within 2 hours I got this email:

-----------------------------------------
Just viewed your listing @ HEMMINGS and will like to purchase it.I will like you to tell me more about the car.

Sent from my iPhone

-----------------------------------------

I replied with info on the car as requested.

Got back this email:

---------------------------------------
ok no problem i will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment. If my mode of payment is accepted just send me your paypal email address,(Paypal ID) so i can pay in right away. Make sure you get back to me so that i can make the payment. I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made, so no shipping included. And if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap

you can reach me @ Phone Number: 206-888-3121

Sent from my iPhone

A reverse lookup shows the number but revealed nothing.

So, I sent this email:

-------------------------------------

Don't you want to see the car first?
Sorry, but I cannot give you my id nor can you pay me using my ID. Rather,
as you may know, I can request money from you via PayPal, but only in
$10,000 increments. So, I guess the only way to go about it is via 3
separate PayPal transactions of $xxxx $xxxxx, and finally one for $xxxxx.
or you can send me a certified / cashiers check or money order for the
full amount.

Let me know which works best for you.

Kind regards -

-----------------------------------------------------

Which elicited this reply:

-------------------------------------------------
k no probllem,so send me the money request and i am going to send the payment in 3 separate payment

Sent from my iPhone

I actually started to send the request when I learned that the fees were horrendous. So I replied as follows via email:

------------------------------------------

Karen -

Sorry - I am a little new to PayPal payment requests. If you pay me via
PayPal email requests, It will cost me too much money - like $xxx dollars.

I am more than willing to hold the car for you for a few days, but PayPal does not seem
to be a good option - for me at least due to the amount of the fees.

Please let me know if you want to send payment another way where such high
fees are not required.

Again - I apologize for any confusion..

Kind regards -

-----------------------------------------------

I know I was still naive at this point. I assume people are honest until I know otherwise. Feel stupid too... But now I smell a rat big time...

This email reply comes a few hours later:

------------------------------------------

Don't worry regarding the paypal fees,i will be responsible for it............ok

Oh,I need to inform you about this,just received an email from my pick agent...am most sure i did not include that in my previous email,he said he won't come for the pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time and my pick up agent Head Quarters is in the United Kingdom and all commission payment made for pick up from anywhere in the world is sent to their Head Quarters in the Uk and the only form of payment they accept is western union money transfer.

I have tried to pay online but i will need a credit card which i didn't bring aboard the ship,and there is no post office(there is usually a western union section in most post offices) or any western union agent on sea! so i have to ask you to help me with the pick up fees, i will include the $500 they charged to pick it up and take it my home(1st class treatment), to the payment i will send through PayPal, after i have made the payment.

I will need you to help me send the $500 to my pick up agent through western union money transfer, the western union money transfer can be made at a post office near to you,there is always a western union agent in most post offices or online at www.westernunion.com .I will be making the payment shortly and will email you as soon as it has been done.Get back to me before i get the money transfered.ok

Sent from my iPhone

----------------------------------------

I don't intend to correspond further with this individual. Still no concrete proof of dishonesty, but it smells bad!

Here are some details in case anyone else googles this:

the email used is karen_a_jackson@hotmail.com

This seems to fit the scam patterns i have read on this thread so far. Watch out!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Thanks for posting up that information on a scammer.

Quote:
Just viewed your listing @ HEMMINGS and will like to purchase it.I will like you to tell me more about the car.
As you had posted on a car website, it is logical that you would be selling a car but as the scammer didn't bother to read the ad, he has to ask for more information about your vehicle. That is one clue that you are reading an email from a scammer, as a real buyer is going to ask specific questions, not just say "tell me more".

Any emails you would have received from 'paypal' would be from the scammer himself using another of his fake names and email addresses, something like "paypal_payment@ gmail" or "person_paypal@ hotmail".

When he decided that you were not going to "play along" he chose to skip the step of sending the fake paypal emails and jump right to asking for the courier fees by Western Union.

Quote:
i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time and my pick up agent Head Quarters is in the United Kingdom and all commission payment made for pick up from anywhere in the world is sent to their Head Quarters in the Uk and the only form of payment they accept is western union money transfer.
Rather funny, actually. A company that only accepts cash payments picked up anonymously.

Paypal does not have any more protection than Western Union or moneygram as paypal can only get your money back if there is money left in the scammer's paypal-linked bank account. Scammers know this and will immediately withdrawal your money and disappear. No money in the scammer's bank account means absolutely no possibility of refund for you.

If you would like to read more about this type of scam, google "fake car buyer", "fake paypal protection program", "car buyer fraud with Western Union" or something similar.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com