report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 03:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

stopzilla for real or a scam?

without all the name calling,, is this company a scam or no??

,,here is my brief experience with this product.....yes it seems to remove things and they reappear. My computer was working better without the download (that I paid for). I have made 3 or 4 attempts to contact them but for some reason, they are out of the office. Now this was the company that won what for service. To be fair, before I pull the plug and stop payment on the credit card, I will give them till tuesday afternoon to help me out. It was this offer that caused me to pay,,,they claimed their tech was second to none....I`ll keep everyone updated

scott

Old 12-26-2010, 06:08 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: stopzilla for real or a scam?

It's garbage.

I am struggling with a nasty redirect problem, and stopzilla was recommended by several websites as a solution. It was less than useless. it took all night to scan my terabytes of data, and reported 4 infections. they were: the program executable for a hidden objects game purchased from the manufacturer 4 years ago, the executable for my legitimate copy of Rosetta Stone language system,a jpg file from my own camera 6 months ago, and an update file from microsoft. stopzilla randomly selects files to call viruses and infections so it can appear to be working, yet it didnt locate the source of my browser redirect. admittedly niether has any other program i have tried, but the others didnt fake results.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Hating everyone equally since 1966

They aren't a scam in the sense that you DO get a product for your $.

That said, AVG free, Malware bytes, panicware.net, etc all offer far superior FREE products.

http://www.filehippo.com

That site has all these and more.

Got an older OS?

http://www.oldversion.com

try that one

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I tried this also and ordered a cd would not take the code and emailed them with no reply. I have the same redirect problem and can't seem to find a resolution even reformated my computer. Did you find a resolution? Have spybot and norton. Did housecall with micro trend as advised by charter internet not their service.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Newbie Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention! I apologize for the late reply as Iíve just discovered this thread. My name is Ben Groshek and Iím the Online Communications Director for STOPzilla.

I can assure you that STOPzilla is not a scam, and we offer a legitimate program to our users.

I would like to provide our support information so that we can assist with any problems that are being encountered. Our support page for STOPzilla is http://www.stopzilla.com/support/stopzilla/home.do. We have live chat, email, and phone support available for any kind of STOPzilla related issue.

Please feel free to contact me directly as well via the information provided below. Iíll personally make sure everyone gets the help they need to correct the issues.

Thanks again,
Ben
Email: ben at stopzilla dot com
Phone: 1-877-877-9944 ext. 128#

Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I had a browser problem that every place I looked for a solution said would be MAJOR work to fix. I had to do so many thing to fix it I considered buying a new computer as mine is pretty old now and keeps blue screening on me. I was told it was due to malicious software yet my paid for AVG said there was nothing wrong on my computer. I knew this was wrong cause everytime I tried to open my IE it would go to safe mode and say I have a malicious program on my computer. Well I searched every trial out there of anti virus or whatever and none found it. When i came across stopzilla it found 3 infections so I decided to pay for the software for $10 to see if it removed the problem. Once I did and it removed these 3 infections my IE started working again! So My freind had a problem a seperate one which you couldn't get on IE at all. downloaded stopzill from a seperate browser (usually AOL's works for some reason when IE doesn't) and well now I am typing this from her computer in IE. I don't know how good it is for all the other apps but I know $10 saved 2 computers already. Oh yea and since using stopzilla on MY computer it hasn't blue screened yet and Even the geek squad at best buy couldn't fix that!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Stopzilla used to be a GREAT product, now it's an OK one. Their product still works well at removing stubborn items at a fair price, but their tech support REEKS. I've tried 3 times in the past 6 months and it goes like this. ...You have a problem - - maybe changed Hard Drives and need a reset. Stopzilla flashes a message to call their number to talk to a human. The human (3 for 3) has an Indian accent and you hear a very loud number of people talking in what sounds like a sales bull pen. They want you to log into a 3rd party site that allows them to take over your computer. They pull up your Event Viewer and cluck, they pull up your msconfig and groan, they look at your registry editor and gag. Then they ask if you are familiar with the Best Buy repair policy and say they can fix your machine for only $200!!! This has happened 3 times in a row - one time involved a supervisor (that I asked for) schooling me on proper preparation and reference 911 and planes crashing into buildings as a valid example. ...That stopped the conversation after 45 minutes of hard selling and no help! Always ends the same - they want you to pay MORE and aren't as interested in making their current product WORK. ...It's sad.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Newbie Member

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Iím extremely sorry to hear that our support was not helpful. That certainly is not the type of experience weíre trying to provide for our customers.

I would appreciate it if you would forward any additional information regarding your contact with support to me directly.

In addition, feel free to call me at toll free number listed below. I would love to take a closer look at the problem, and make certain you get proper support for STOPzilla.

Thanks again,
Ben

Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I am new at Scam.com

But the sad part is Stopzilla is a real anti-virus program. It's just the "free version that's the scam. Once people get scammed into downloading the free version they are the stuck with it. They have to buy the full version or reformat their computer like I had to in order to get rid of it.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Newbie Member

Hi wjack,

Thanks very much for your post. Iím sorry to hear that you had trouble removing STOPzilla.

We do offer a free trial version of STOPzilla, and it is meant to be a demo of the program. This is not unusual for software vendors. In no way is it a scam.

Every version of STOPzilla has an uninstall option built in, and if a user decides against using STOPzilla, it can be run to remove the program. For reference, itís accessible by clicking Start > All Programs > STOPzilla > Uninstall STOPzilla. We do not force anyone to keep the program on their computer.

If any problems are encountered while trying to remove STOPzilla, I would suggest contacting our support page here: http://www.stopzilla.com/support/stopzilla/home.do. Free support is available for both trial and registered users of STOPzilla.

Again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions or comments.

Regards,
Ben Groshek

Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Originally I believed it was a scam -- but -- the man who has posted here from the company really will answer e-mails and make things right. I received an almost immediate response to my e-mail and a satisfactory resolution. Try contacting him - he will answer.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This software has hijacked our pc, and has rendered it useless.
I emailed this ben person, and I will post any help I may get. I have fixed numerous pc's in the past with the usual scam they all pull, "virus detected in you computer", and then their software totally screws up your pc, and it's a battle to remove all of their crap!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Bronze Member

You could try AVG - Free
MalwareBytes - Free
LavaSoft is good too - free

Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh338 View Post
They want you to log into a 3rd party site that allows them to take over your computer. Then he asks if you are familiar with the Best Buy repair policy and say they can fix your machine for only $200!!!
Exact same experience - I ran Stopzilla and all exe files no longer worked - tech service guy then clucked and said third part microsoft certified techies could fix it for 200 - guaranteed - so much better then Best Buy at 300 or 350. I declined the offer and said I would fix it myself

Took a while but found a web site which has file association fixes - downloaded the one for exe files and in literally 30 seconds saved myself 200 dollars.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Newbie Member

If StopZilla is not a scam, Why has it hijacked my browser after my computer got infected ? Why do I try to go to previously legitimate sites like Malwarebytes and AVG to try to fix this problem and IE8 redirects me right back to StopZilla ?? Why do I need to browse the web in FireFox for hours just to try to fix my IE8 from redirecting me to your bulls*t website ???

If itís not a scam, How come I canít find a solution to this problem. How come I canít stop my IE8 from redirecting me back to Stopzilla ?

StopZilla Is Malware ! StopZilla is a Scam ! I donít want it Ė I never loaded it Ė I didnít accept any agreement Ė and I canít get rid of it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOPzilla View Post
Hi Guys,

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention! I apologize for the late reply as Iíve just discovered this thread. My name is Ben Groshek and Iím the Online Communications Director for STOPzilla.

I can assure you that STOPzilla is not a scam, and we offer a legitimate program to our users.

I would like to provide our support information so that we can assist with any problems that are being encountered. Our support page for STOPzilla is http://www.stopzilla.com/support/stopzilla/home.do. We have live chat, email, and phone support available for any kind of STOPzilla related issue.

Please feel free to contact me directly as well via the information provided below. Iíll personally make sure everyone gets the help they need to correct the issues.

Thanks again,
Ben

Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Newbie Member

Nice guy Ben from StopZilla can answer all the e-mail messages he wants. But any program that hijacks your browser in order to sell you something is MALWARE. If you happen get a redirect to StopZilla, Just try to do a Google search for MalwareBytes (a legitimate company) and then click on Malwarebytes.org. Just watch it redirect you right back to StopZilla. That is Hijacking and should be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcool1 View Post
Originally I believed it was a scam -- but -- the man who has posted here from the company really will answer e-mails and make things right. I received an almost immediate response to my e-mail and a satisfactory resolution. Try contacting him - he will answer.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Newbie Member

Would you mind letting me know which program you used to get rid of StopZilla ?

Thanks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurdragon View Post
Exact same experience - I ran Stopzilla and all exe files no longer worked - tech service guy then clucked and said third part microsoft certified techies could fix it for 200 - guaranteed - so much better then Best Buy at 300 or 350. I declined the offer and said I would fix it myself

Took a while but found a web site which has file association fixes - downloaded the one for exe files and in literally 30 seconds saved myself 200 dollars.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello everyone I found this blog in search of what is going on with Stopzilla. I have used Stopzilla for a long time purchased a new computer and used the antivirus trial that was part of the deal,. It's about to run out and Tuesday night I called Stopzilla to help me add my account to this computer. The person I spoke with pretty much scared me and tried to get me to buy some additional features because I needed them. He told me I had many virus's and so on. Then I found this blog. I just got off the phone with Ben and he couldn't have been more helpful. He explained that they have had some trouble with some overzealous technical assistance people. He reported the incident to the person's manager so this person will not do it to anyone else. Ben explained that they have had to hire outside the company because they have had a huge growth spurt. They are working on this problem and I'm glad Ben was there to help. So FYI... Having trouble call Ben he did and will help.