report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Door to Door BEEF Scam

Dear Friends:

Please read and REPOST this scam alert!!

Just a few minutes ago a middle aged woman came to the door with some boxes of frozen steaks (simlar to what you might get from a Schwan's truck). She said they were "Selling steaks without any of the junk in them". Padraic sad, "You should talk to my wife."

I came downstairs to fnd this woman opening boxes and laying frozen meat out on my counter. She began to tell me these steaks were "grass fed", "hormone free", "antibiotic free" etc. Great, I said 'do you have a brochure or something wth all of this in wrting?'

"Um, no, we're working on that, but do not have it..."

I then ask 'What's the name of your company?' She replied "Better Way Foods"....so I Googled them, there was no website to back up her claims...but she kept talking about the happy grass fed Cows, nursing with their Mothers etc.

I said 'You have no website or brochure how can I verify that what you are telling me is true? What Farm do you get your Meat from?'

Quickly she says "Angus Land Farms" ...I Google that (she is still talking)...Angus Land Farms was in Phoenix, but is no longer there, no new records of them, presuming they are out of business...wondering how old these steaks are!!

As she chatters away about how you can get 2 cases of her mystery meat for the price of one, I take a closer look at the box she is pulling the steak from...it doesn't say Organic, Certified Organic or anything like that, but it does say processed for "The Meat Man Inc, Phoenix AZ".

Soooo, I Google that and I tell her, well I'll just verify this with "Meat Man Inc" and if it's 'All grass fed, Hormone Free, Antibitic Free etc. I'm interested.'

Her story quickly began to change..."Well, they are not entirely Grass -Fed, they are Grass and Corn/Grain Fed "

'So they are 'grass finished'? I ask..."No, Grass started then grain" she explains "this is for marbling of the beef" blah, blah, blah...

'Why Grass first? That makes no sense, usualy a farmer will fatten up their calfs feeding them corn, then feed them grass before slaughter to rid their guts of 80% of the E-coli'.

She goes on, about how E-Coli is everywhere, and it can be 'cooked out of the meat'....this is when I told her, "Look, I have an Organic household and I am the founder of GreenCuisineList.com, I'm not going to buy this beef from you without proof that it is grass-fed or finished, and hormone and antibiotic free."

Meanwhile I have found "The Meat Man Inc" on line and have their number typed into my phone... she couldn't pack up and get out fast enough with a promise of getting back to us with more info on this yummy beef!

I called "The Meat Man" just for fun at (602) 455-8835 and said there is someone going door to door with your beef and saying it's grass-fed, is this true...the answer was "No, it's not grass-fed", 'OK, is it at least hormone and antibiotic free?' ...'No' says the "Meat Man" rep it's not either..."

So I say now via Facebook to the strange woman selling meat door to door in Clarkdale, Cottonwood and Sedona, be aware that you have knocked on the wrong door!!!

THE JIG IS UP, YOU ARE A CON ARTIST TRYING TO CAPITALIZE ON THE RAPIDLY EXPANDING ORGANIC MEAT MARKET BY LYING TO PEOPLE, SELLING THEM THE SAME MEAT PUMPED OUT OF FACTORY FARMS, FULL OF HORMONES, ANTIBIOTICS AND E-COLI!!!!

REPOST, REPOST, REPOST THIS!!!! If any of you have a similar experience let me know, as I will be notifying the Clarkdale Police Dept.

AVOID SCAMS BY ASKING FOR WRITTEN PROOF, USE THE INTERNET OR PHONE TO VERIFY ANYTHING A DOOR TO DOOR SALES PERSON TELLS YOU AND CHECK THE PACKAGING ON FOOD, THE STEAKS COULD HAVE BEEN SPOILED OR EXPIRED FOR ALL WE KNOW!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
-- ---- --------, ---- ----.

Re: Door to Door BEEF Scam

That is one alternative Wil...

The advice in the OP is sound... I'd just like to ad that, IMO at least, the door-to-door home sales rep is obsolete. He was killed by the internet.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Hating everyone equally since 1966

Re: Door to Door BEEF Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
That is one alternative Wil...

The advice in the OP is sound... I'd just like to ad that, IMO at least, the door-to-door home sales rep is obsolete. He was killed by the internet.

There's a guy who comes around my town every 3-4 months. Has a Ryder-style truck with a reefer box on it.

I've literally filled my freezer for $200, a big stand-up one in my storage room.

I'm talking steaks, chops,ribs, burger, sausage, hot-dogs, etc.

Works out to about $1.00/lb.

Good quality meat, individually shrunk wrapped, like you'd get from Schwans, or Omaha Steaks.

What I think the deal is here, that the big commercial butchers allow for say, 10% loss, when it's really 2% or so. In other words, it's most likely marked as lost.

Asked the guy at the small meat packing plant in my town about it last year when I took my deer in to be processed. He said the above, and told me that in all likelyhood, it's stolen. That's why it's so cheap, all the seller has into it is truck rental, and his time.

Sounds kinda like this, except my guy never claimed it was organic,etc. Never asked if it was stolen, you know, 'don't ask, don't tell'.

If you can get a good price, go for it. Burger is $2.59/lb right now, for cheap stuff.