report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Insurance Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: Did this information help you?
Yes 12 75.00%
No 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
baseball_fan baseball_fan is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
New look on American Income Life - This is NOT a scam!

This blog is to merely tell you about my experience, and to provide hope to all who believes that this is a scam. I will scan my paycheck to prove all this, but first I will tell you the whole story:

I received a call from a manager and told me that he got my application off of Career Builder. I went in for the interview and after the interview he advised me that out of the 70 people he saw that week, he hired 4. He advised me that I was the 5th and I was to drive 2 hours to my second interview.

Right now I felt skeptical, but in the interview he said that the average agent makes 60,000 per year. So I went up there to check it out. There was a group of 30 people in the room and there were 3 people who spoke about the company and who they were looking for. They gave us an overview of what we'd be doing, and the way that you would be paid IF they picked you for the job. We were then required to tell them in front of all the people why we thought we could do the job. I gave them why, and then I went home. I did not hear anything until Tuesday (I went on Friday the previous week), and he told me that he wanted to see me for the third interview. When I got there, he told me that he wanted me to put in my two week notice at work and then start training in two weeks. During that time he wanted me to get my insurance license, which requires 20 hours of online study, taking a practice exam and taking a state exam. This process costed roughly $200.

Before I go further, I want to explain someone here. If I were a company, and I told someone I would pay them to take a state exam, I would have to worry about them going to another company after completing the exam. That would be 200 dollars for every person that does this. I am saying this because a lot of blogs are saying that is ridiculous to pay for the exam, when in some states it's against the law for a company to pay for a state exam. Okay, moving along...

Although he wanted me to do this in two weeks, it took me four weeks due needing to get my insurance license and also working 40 hours a week. My current job let me work an additional two weeks, so I was fine with money. The manager at AIL advised me that I also had to remember an eight page script by orientation. This script was CRAZY!! It took me a long time to memorize it, but I am grateful he made me do that because I wouldn't be where I am today. After getting my license, I went to training. Training was in the same location as my second interview, so I had to drive 2 hours to get there. There I discovered that the reason I had to drive so far is because they only do the training in one location in the state. American Income has one Home Office per state so it is common to drive many miles to get there if you’re in another location. I went through the training (which was 4 days long) and they paid for my hotel room, but not for my food. Even though they didn't pay for my food, one of the managers did buy food for us because we were in training from 9am-7:30pm. Up to this point ALL the managers were very motivating and nice people. They stressed the importance of honesty, integrity, and respect. They were all very helpful.

I went out to the field to see how other people did the job next. I went out two days with another agent and watched him meet with the union members. It was surprising because you would have some people very mad because you came and others very thankful. I will talk about that next.

That was my hiring experience. Now I'm going to talk about what we do...

We give benefits to Union members to fill in the gaps in their current policies. Most people get 100k life insurance policies to pay for everything when they die, but most people don't know the cost of dying. That 100k went to the house, car notes, credit card debt, and other things. So the 100k is probably all used up at that point. Not to mention in my state most insurance is paid out 6 months after the person dies, and AIL pays within 1-2 weeks. Then you have funeral costs, which are usually 6000-12000 bucks. Most funeral homes require 50% of this upfront, and the other 50% after 30 days. That is just ONE benefit that AIL provides. I will list the rest below:

Hospital Benefit
$100 per emergency room visit (to pay for co-pays and deductibles)
$200 per overnight stay in the emergency room (for up to a year)
$400 per night in intensive care (for 14 days, then $200 for a year)

Cancer benefit
$50,000 per member of family to cover non-medical costs (things insurance doesn't pay for - like experimental drugs, co-pays, deductibles, income loss due to battling cancer, etc)

Paycheck Protection
(based on income, the following illustration is if the person made 17/hr)
2500/mo for 12 months to help the spouse breathe and find another way to find the needed income (do get job training, etc)

Child Life Insurance
$10,000 per child, with an upgrade option to $50,000 at the age of 21

Deposit Account Fund
Similar to a bank, only you receive 4% interest instead of 1/2-1%
(inflation is 3%, so normal savings accounts currently don't account for inflation)

These are the bulk of the benefits, and guess how much it costs.... An hours pay per week! If the member is making 17 dollars and hour, he pays 17 dollars per week.

That being said, the program is pretty good. Plus you are helping union members with the peace of mind that if someone dies, they will be covered.

Now for the pay:

When you start, you receive 40% commission. So if someone buys the program at 17wk, that's 73.661 per month (17*4.333), and 883.932 per year. The yearly figure is called ALP (Annualized Life Premium)

The company pays you 75% of that 40% up front, and the rest after one year. So 40% of 883.932 is 353.5728 and 75% of that is 265.1796. That is what you will see on your paycheck, for ONE sale. Now, this may be confusing but I will explain it anyways...

If you make $1000 ALP in the week, you will receive a $175 kicker. As you can see above ALP was $883 for one sale, and most agents make 4-6 sales during the week.

So take $883 times 4 and you get $3532. Well over the bonus requirement. Say this is what you did for the week. That's $1059.6 after taking out the commission. So add the kicker and its $1234.6 per week. Which equals $61,730 per year?

So, there's a brief overview of American Income. Later on I will attach a paycheck proving the pay structure, and additional comments as time goes on. Feel free to post any questions and I'll try to help the best I can. The important thing to do though is to ASK the manager QUESTIONS! Most scams are verbal; make sure you look at the paperwork! A scammer can't be sued unless they WRITE that they guaranteed $100,000 per year. Always ask them to put everything in writing and have them sign it saying that is the normal yearly earnings. I know people that said after starting their job they looked at the paperwork and it said that the company promised only 12k in the first YEAR (this wasn't AIL). I received a document that stated that average agents make 50,000 per year. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend!



Check the following websites to find out truths about American Income:


www.ambest.com/ - AM Best rated AIL an A+
Better Business Bureau - American's case file on the Better Business Bureau, which has a Satisfactory rating.

Hope this helps!


Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 09-29-2007, 01:42 AM
borisf96's Avatar
borisf96 borisf96 is offline
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,156
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT a scam!

Please move it to a spam thread.



Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 AM
wghholtrad wghholtrad is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 25
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT a scam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball_fan
T
Now for the pay:

When you start, you receive 40% commission. So if someone buys the program at 17wk, that's 73.661 per month (17*4.333), and 883.932 per year. The yearly figure is called ALP (Annualized Life Premium)

The company pays you 75% of that 40% up front, and the rest after one year. So 40% of 883.932 is 353.5728 and 75% of that is 265.1796. That is what you will see on your paycheck, for ONE sale. Now, this may be confusing but I will explain it anyways...

If you make $1000 ALP in the week, you will receive a $175 kicker. As you can see above ALP was $883 for one sale, and most agents make 4-6 sales during the week.

So take $883 times 4 and you get $3532. Well over the bonus requirement. Say this is what you did for the week. That's $1059.6 after taking out the commission. So add the kicker and its $1234.6 per week. Which equals $61,730 per year?

So, there's a brief overview of American Income. Later on I will attach a paycheck proving the pay structure, and additional comments as time goes on. Feel free to post any questions and I'll try to help the best I can. The important thing to do though is to ASK the manager QUESTIONS! Most scams are verbal; make sure you look at the paperwork! A scammer can't be sued unless they WRITE that they guaranteed $100,000 per year. Always ask them to put everything in writing and have them sign it saying that is the normal yearly earnings. I know people that said after starting their job they looked at the paperwork and it said that the company promised only 12k in the first YEAR (this wasn't AIL). I received a document that stated that average agents make 50,000 per year. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend!



Check the following websites to find out truths about American Income:


www.ambest.com/ - AM Best rated AIL an A+
Better Business Bureau - American's case file on the Better Business Bureau, which has a Satisfactory rating.

Hope this helps!
Your arithmetic is flawless however your projections are ridiculous. ALP only includes life premium, not the accident or health premiums that are in the represented package. The average life premium per sale at AIL is about $450 ALP, not the $883 ALP you projected. The average agent submits about $1200 ALP per week not the $3532 ALP you projected. Now $1200 ALP per week at 40% commission and a 75% advance is $360 per week advance. No kicker, no bonuses. From the $360 advance you have to pay expenses so generally you net $200 to $300 per week. That is why 98% of all contracted agents leave within 1 year.

Next, the FTC has stated that any verbal or written representations made by a recruiter must be factual or the recruiter may be held liable. Now. to confirm the facts that I have presented refer to the 2nd quarter financial results filed by Torchmark Corp, AIL parent, with the SEC. This states AIL had $23,000,000 net ALP for the 13 week quarter with 2403 agents, that calculates to $736 net ALP per agent per week. Finally, the 2403 agents they claim is static with the agent count at the end of the 1st quarter. What is not reflected is the approximately 600 new agents which they contracted with during the 2nd quarter, that means that 600 agents must have terminated their contracts and that substantiates the 98% turnover. These are company statistics reviewed by Torchmark's independent auditing firm and submitted to the SEC. Individual agents can do better or worse than these numbers but these numbers are what normally takes place, and it is easy to see that the GAP between what is represented during recruiting and reality according to AIL filings are completely different.


Last edited by wghholtrad : 09-29-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT a scam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball_fan
This blog is to merely tell you about my experience, and to provide hope to all who believes that this is a scam. I will scan my paycheck to prove all this, but first I will tell you the whole story:

I received a call from a manager and told me that he got my application off of Career Builder. I went in for the interview and after the interview he advised me that out of the 70 people he saw that week, he hired 4. He advised me that I was the 5th and I was to drive 2 hours to my second interview.

Right now I felt skeptical, but in the interview he said that the average agent makes 60,000 per year. So I went up there to check it out. There was a group of 30 people in the room and there were 3 people who spoke about the company and who they were looking for. They gave us an overview of what we'd be doing, and the way that you would be paid IF they picked you for the job. We were then required to tell them in front of all the people why we thought we could do the job. I gave them why, and then I went home. I did not hear anything until Tuesday (I went on Friday the previous week), and he told me that he wanted to see me for the third interview. When I got there, he told me that he wanted me to put in my two week notice at work and then start training in two weeks. During that time he wanted me to get my insurance license, which requires 20 hours of online study, taking a practice exam and taking a state exam. This process costed roughly $200.

Before I go further, I want to explain someone here. If I were a company, and I told someone I would pay them to take a state exam, I would have to worry about them going to another company after completing the exam. That would be 200 dollars for every person that does this. I am saying this because a lot of blogs are saying that is ridiculous to pay for the exam, when in some states it's against the law for a company to pay for a state exam. Okay, moving along...

Although he wanted me to do this in two weeks, it took me four weeks due needing to get my insurance license and also working 40 hours a week. My current job let me work an additional two weeks, so I was fine with money. The manager at AIL advised me that I also had to remember an eight page script by orientation. This script was CRAZY!! It took me a long time to memorize it, but I am grateful he made me do that because I wouldn't be where I am today. After getting my license, I went to training. Training was in the same location as my second interview, so I had to drive 2 hours to get there. There I discovered that the reason I had to drive so far is because they only do the training in one location in the state. American Income has one Home Office per state so it is common to drive many miles to get there if you’re in another location. I went through the training (which was 4 days long) and they paid for my hotel room, but not for my food. Even though they didn't pay for my food, one of the managers did buy food for us because we were in training from 9am-7:30pm. Up to this point ALL the managers were very motivating and nice people. They stressed the importance of honesty, integrity, and respect. They were all very helpful.

I went out to the field to see how other people did the job next. I went out two days with another agent and watched him meet with the union members. It was surprising because you would have some people very mad because you came and others very thankful. I will talk about that next.

That was my hiring experience. Now I'm going to talk about what we do...

We give benefits to Union members to fill in the gaps in their current policies. Most people get 100k life insurance policies to pay for everything when they die, but most people don't know the cost of dying. That 100k went to the house, car notes, credit card debt, and other things. So the 100k is probably all used up at that point. Not to mention in my state most insurance is paid out 6 months after the person dies, and AIL pays within 1-2 weeks. Then you have funeral costs, which are usually 6000-12000 bucks. Most funeral homes require 50% of this upfront, and the other 50% after 30 days. That is just ONE benefit that AIL provides. I will list the rest below:

Hospital Benefit
$100 per emergency room visit (to pay for co-pays and deductibles)
$200 per overnight stay in the emergency room (for up to a year)
$400 per night in intensive care (for 14 days, then $200 for a year)

Cancer benefit
$50,000 per member of family to cover non-medical costs (things insurance doesn't pay for - like experimental drugs, co-pays, deductibles, income loss due to battling cancer, etc)

Paycheck Protection
(based on income, the following illustration is if the person made 17/hr)
2500/mo for 12 months to help the spouse breathe and find another way to find the needed income (do get job training, etc)

Child Life Insurance
$10,000 per child, with an upgrade option to $50,000 at the age of 21

Deposit Account Fund
Similar to a bank, only you receive 4% interest instead of 1/2-1%
(inflation is 3%, so normal savings accounts currently don't account for inflation)

These are the bulk of the benefits, and guess how much it costs.... An hours pay per week! If the member is making 17 dollars and hour, he pays 17 dollars per week.

That being said, the program is pretty good. Plus you are helping union members with the peace of mind that if someone dies, they will be covered.

Now for the pay:

When you start, you receive 40% commission. So if someone buys the program at 17wk, that's 73.661 per month (17*4.333), and 883.932 per year. The yearly figure is called ALP (Annualized Life Premium)

The company pays you 75% of that 40% up front, and the rest after one year. So 40% of 883.932 is 353.5728 and 75% of that is 265.1796. That is what you will see on your paycheck, for ONE sale. Now, this may be confusing but I will explain it anyways...

If you make $1000 ALP in the week, you will receive a $175 kicker. As you can see above ALP was $883 for one sale, and most agents make 4-6 sales during the week.

So take $883 times 4 and you get $3532. Well over the bonus requirement. Say this is what you did for the week. That's $1059.6 after taking out the commission. So add the kicker and its $1234.6 per week. Which equals $61,730 per year?

So, there's a brief overview of American Income. Later on I will attach a paycheck proving the pay structure, and additional comments as time goes on. Feel free to post any questions and I'll try to help the best I can. The important thing to do though is to ASK the manager QUESTIONS! Most scams are verbal; make sure you look at the paperwork! A scammer can't be sued unless they WRITE that they guaranteed $100,000 per year. Always ask them to put everything in writing and have them sign it saying that is the normal yearly earnings. I know people that said after starting their job they looked at the paperwork and it said that the company promised only 12k in the first YEAR (this wasn't AIL). I received a document that stated that average agents make 50,000 per year. Good luck everyone and have a great weekend!



Check the following websites to find out truths about American Income:


www.ambest.com/ - AM Best rated AIL an A+
Better Business Bureau - American's case file on the Better Business Bureau, which has a Satisfactory rating.

Hope this helps!
Crazy income projections! according to AIL's own website http://www.ailins.com/agency/spotlight/agent.asp
which shows the top 50 of the 2500 or so agents, the 50th agent is averaging slightly more than $2000 alp/week. That means that the other 2000 agents average far less! How you can possibly think that $3532 is a reaonable number! your innocence is laughable.

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT a scam!

If you look at the AIL website http://www.ailins.com/agency/spotlight/agent.asp
and apply your ridiculous calculations you will see in fact that of all the Agents at AIL (2500 or so) only Three, that's right THREE, would make an average of $3532 ALP/week so far this year.
The actual average per agent is about $1300 ALP/week according to the company filings (reported here by others) so you have been scammed already!

Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Amazing how when the facts are presented the silence on the subject from pro AILers is deafening.

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Yikes! still no response

Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

American Income uses crazy income projections during the hiring process, to scam people into joining. Once in the program, they use scripting, control techniques, and daily "coaching calls" to control the new agents.
This is done to make sure the agents are blindly following the program for the first few months while earning a pittance. After 6 months or so AIL no longer cares about what happens, and the majority of new agents quit.
AIL gets to keep the balance of comission on all the business written as well as any renewals generated. Only about 5% of new hires last a year.
This is what new hires are in for! Long hours, little pay, and a system that thrives on high turnover of agents!
Scam is almost too nice a word for this system

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
donl@nb.sympatico.ca donl@nb.sympatico.ca is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

I have also been recruited by AIL in Atlantic Canada. I have checked 4 BBB , and Dun & Bradstreet so far and NOT seeing any red Flags. The corporation has been a BBB member in Waco Texas since 1977 and has had 27 complaints ALL RESOLVED Checked BBB in NS, Toronto and Ottawa NO Complaints in any of these.
To address the 5% rule, I have been in sales of one sort or another for 35 years. THIS IS AN OVERALL AVERAGE SUCCESS RATE ! The fact that a contractor has to work long hours IS a concern but I wonder if they are just working hard rather than smart! I still have not decided to take their offer but would be very interested in any comments that a clean BBB and D&B record generates in this forum.
I see no evidence through the normal channels that AIL is a scam. I am sure, like in any large branch office or franchise type operation, there will be a few bad apples but on the whole looks pretty good to me.. Do I believe I am gonna retire in 10 years...Probably not ! Do I believe I am going to make thousands of dollars a day..not likely! Do I think I can make a living with this company..."ahhhhh", as stated by Shakespeare "Theres the rub!"


Last edited by donl@nb.sympatico.ca : 03-06-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by donl@nb.sympatico.ca View Post
I have also been recruited by AIL in Atlantic Canada. I have checked 4 BBB , and Dun & Bradstreet so far and NOT seeing any red Flags. The corporation has been a BBB member in Waco Texas since 1977 and has had 27 complaints ALL RESOLVED Checked BBB in NS, Toronto and Ottawa NO Complaints in any of these.
To address the 5% rule, I have been in sales of one sort or another for 35 years. THIS IS AN OVERALL AVERAGE SUCCESS RATE ! The fact that a contractor has to work long hours IS a concern but I wonder if they are just working hard rather than smart! I still have not decided to take their offer but would be very interested in any comments that a clean BBB and D&B record generates in this forum.
I see no evidence through the normal channels that AIL is a scam. I am sure, like in any large branch office or franchise type operation, there will be a few bad apples but on the whole looks pretty good to me.. Do I believe I am gonna retire in 10 years...Probably not ! Do I believe I am going to make thousands of dollars a day..not likely! Do I think I can make a living with this company..."ahhhhh", as stated by Shakespeare "Theres the rub!"
As has been stated on many posts, AIL is a profitable division of a publicly traded company (Torchmark) and as such will have clean D&B and BBB records for the most part. So did Enron, Worldcom, and Tyco! Those reports are of limited use when trying to find out what a company is like to work for.

AIL is a scam in the way it uses a heavily scripted interview process with completely outrageous income projections to con new hires into commiting their whole lives to the company.
Should you join, be prepared to work a minimum of 6 days a week, evenings and weekends. You will be expected to go on a 10 day road trip each month where you will work 10-12 hour days for the whole trip. You will pay your own way, hotels,food, LD phone calls, and put thousands of KMs on your car each trip and barely break even.
This would be ok if you were able to make the income promised but the facts are the average AIL agent makes less than $30,000 a year before expenses, and even the top 5% average $60,000 gross or less. There are no benefits, pensions, stock options etc, just cash and the promise of renewal income. While it is true expenses are a write off, if your gross income is $30,000 and you expenses are $15,000 you still only have a net income of $15,000 regardless of what you wrote off!
In the last 3 years, while hiring many thousands of agents and having a total agent count of about 2600 now, AIL has had only about 720 or so agents and managers who have worked there for a year or more. that means even the so called "veterans' are leaving in droves.
I know this because I was at AIL for 3 years in multiple offices, and saw all I have described with my own eyes.
Don't take my word for it, however, just read a few posts here, and ask to speak to a few ex-agents at the office you are being recruited for.
Keep in touch whatever your choice!

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by donl@nb.sympatico.ca View Post
I have also been recruited by AIL in Atlantic Canada. I have checked 4 BBB , and Dun & Bradstreet so far and NOT seeing any red Flags. The corporation has been a BBB member in Waco Texas since 1977 and has had 27 complaints ALL RESOLVED Checked BBB in NS, Toronto and Ottawa NO Complaints in any of these.
To address the 5% rule, I have been in sales of one sort or another for 35 years. THIS IS AN OVERALL AVERAGE SUCCESS RATE ! The fact that a contractor has to work long hours IS a concern but I wonder if they are just working hard rather than smart! I still have not decided to take their offer but would be very interested in any comments that a clean BBB and D&B record generates in this forum.
I see no evidence through the normal channels that AIL is a scam. I am sure, like in any large branch office or franchise type operation, there will be a few bad apples but on the whole looks pretty good to me.. Do I believe I am gonna retire in 10 years...Probably not ! Do I believe I am going to make thousands of dollars a day..not likely! Do I think I can make a living with this company..."ahhhhh", as stated by Shakespeare "Theres the rub!"
Wondering if you are still around? Usually when there is no response it means the person has smartened up and moved on!

Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
kkla kkla is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Let me CONCLUDE this endless fight about whether AIL is a scam or not:

1. If you are looking to buy life insurance:
AIL is NOT A SCAM.


It is a legitimate company selling GOOD life insurance products. In fact, after some research, you will discover their Whole Life Products are one of the best and/or affordable ones in the market. And if someone dies, they DO pay out the claims. My uncle had their life insurance through his Union and when he died, his family did get the money. So no worries there.

But,

2. If you are looking for job opportunity:

AIL's recruiting process is a SCAM or at least misleading in nature.


Because this is a sales job, and does require a lot of door to door selling.
In many people's opinion, SALES is the worst job in the world no matter how much you make. So if AIL tell their job applicants upfront that they will be hired as INSURANCE SALESMEN, guess how many people will be interested? That is why they paint a pretty picture to applicants by using words like "unlimited income" etc. But that is only for people with good sales skills.

So unless you are a damn good salesman or believe you can be one, don't be lured by the fancy recruiting ads!

Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Misspunkdior Misspunkdior is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

OK folks- it's 2009 -what's the verdict on American Income Life? I am an out of work teacher and thinking of joinning. I know it a pyramid structure- but that's not against the law or a scam just because of it.

Does anyone have new info on this company?

Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Hendo Hendo is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspunkdior View Post
OK folks- it's 2009 -what's the verdict on American Income Life? I am an out of work teacher and thinking of joinning. I know it a pyramid structure- but that's not against the law or a scam just because of it.

Does anyone have new info on this company?
AIL is definitely not a scam. But I strongly recommend that you ask the right questions at your "interview." The Hiring Managers and MGAs give you minimal information and they make it seem like you are interviewing for a job as an employee. They don't tell you that you are interviewing to be in business for yourself as an independent contractor. Ask if this is a commision only job? Ask if you have to use your own cell phone to book appointments on booking nights? Ask if you are expected to drive to different states or provinces to write business? (road trips every 2 months) These are the questions I wish I asked when I was interviewed. The answer to all these questions is yes.
Once you are released to the field as an agent (after you memorize a 7 page script) be prepared to sharpen up on your penmanship because you are going to do a lot of writing. The way this company does business is very old school. There is so much paper involved with each family you enroll. Typically an enrollment consists of filling out an application, a HIPPA form, a summary sheet, and a "spit test." (this consists of taking a saliva sample from the union member) But God help you if someone in the family has a pre-existing condition or a habbit that is considered high risk. Then you have to fill out an addendum or a separate application for their condition or habbit. They have addendums for heart conditions, high blood pressure, drug/alcohol use, diabetes, etc, etc. There are so many addendums and questionnaires, that seeing all that paper alone was enough to discourage me. You can fill out every piece of paper that is required but if you forget to dot one "i" or cross one "t" then you will not get paid. Your business will be held until you go back to the home and do it right. By the way, if they tell you that you get paid every friday no matter what, it's not true. If you do not sell any policies, you do not get paid. PERIOD!

Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
perfundity perfundity is offline
Newbie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
AIL is definitely not a scam. But I strongly recommend that you ask the right questions at your "interview." The Hiring Managers and MGAs give you minimal information and they make it seem like you are interviewing for a job as an employee. They don't tell you that you are interviewing to be in business for yourself as an independent contractor. Ask if this is a commision only job? Ask if you have to use your own cell phone to book appointments on booking nights? Ask if you are expected to drive to different states or provinces to write business? (road trips every 2 months) These are the questions I wish I asked when I was interviewed. The answer to all these questions is yes.
Once you are released to the field as an agent (after you memorize a 7 page script) be prepared to sharpen up on your penmanship because you are going to do a lot of writing. The way this company does business is very old school. There is so much paper involved with each family you enroll. Typically an enrollment consists of filling out an application, a HIPPA form, a summary sheet, and a "spit test." (this consists of taking a saliva sample from the union member) But God help you if someone in the family has a pre-existing condition or a habbit that is considered high risk. Then you have to fill out an addendum or a separate application for their condition or habbit. They have addendums for heart conditions, high blood pressure, drug/alcohol use, diabetes, etc, etc. There are so many addendums and questionnaires, that seeing all that paper alone was enough to discourage me. You can fill out every piece of paper that is required but if you forget to dot one "i" or cross one "t" then you will not get paid. Your business will be held until you go back to the home and do it right. By the way, if they tell you that you get paid every friday no matter what, it's not true. If you do not sell any policies, you do not get paid. PERIOD!
The "Scam" is they way they con recruits into believing they will make a six figure income and be able to retire in 10 years!

Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Edmontongirl Edmontongirl is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

This is totally a scam, I dislike that people can take advantage of desperate people in times like this. Really makes me sick! I have heard the pitch and then been asked to pay money for admin fees and stuff, ya right... you don't have to pay to get a job.

Don't believe me, read these comments by another Canadian who had the same experience.

http://www.calgarytalk.com/bbs/view_...303&forum_id=2

Also do you notice when you type this company name into Google the number 2 searched result is scam. hmmm


Last edited by Edmontongirl : 02-06-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Maze510 Maze510 is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontongirl View Post
This is totally a scam, I dislike that people can take advantage of desperate people in times like this. Really makes me sick! I have heard the pitch and then been asked to pay money for admin fees and stuff, ya right... you don't have to pay to get a job.

Don't believe me, read these comments by another Canadian who had the same experience.

http://www.calgarytalk.com/bbs/view_...303&forum_id=2

Also do you notice when you type this company name into Google the number 2 searched result is scam. hmmm
I like how people like to go off impressions rather than facts. Let me discredit half of what you just said.

1. You talk about desperate people in these times. Many of those people benefit from a career, and these blogs aren't helping people either.

2. The pay is not just for admin fees. It is for your licensing, contract set-up, supplies and training material. The company does not receive one dime of it and any AIL manager can prove that to a new hire.

3. AIL does not want people that are looking for a JOB, they are looking for people that want a career. They are contractors and can hire and build their own business. How many businesses can you start for roughly $500? Anyone? A McDonalds franchise requires roughly one million.

4. I assure you that a company that makes up the bulk of revenues for a father company traded on the New York Stock Exchange(Torchmark/TMK)...is not a scam. I'm sure Forbes magazine, Yahoo HOTJOBS and AMBEST.com probably wouldn't highly rate a company either if they were really a scam.

You guys also need to understand, in this economy, with people losing their jobs and few opportunities out there....it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY not to slander and bad-mouth strong U.S. based companies that can actually help the economy. It does not help anyone.

I hope everyone keeps an open mind and doesn't go off just impressions.


Last edited by Maze510 : 02-23-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Maze510 Maze510 is offline
I am new at Scam.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Re: New look on American Income Life - This is NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
AIL is definitely not a scam. But I strongly recommend that you ask the right questions at your "interview." The Hiring Managers and MGAs give you minimal information and they make it seem like you are interviewing for a job as an employee. They don't tell you that you are interviewing to be in business for yourself as an independent contractor. Ask if this is a commision only job? Ask if you have to use your own cell phone to book appointments on booking nights? Ask if you are expected to drive to different states or provinces to write business? (road trips every 2 months) These are the questions I wish I asked when I was interviewed. The answer to all these questions is yes.
Once you are released to the field as an agent (after you memorize a 7 page script) be prepared to sharpen up on your penmanship because you are going to do a lot of writing. The way this company does business is very old school. There is so much paper involved with each family you enroll. Typically an enrollment consists of filling out an application, a HIPPA form, a summary sheet, and a "spit test." (this consists of taking a saliva sample from the union member) But God help you if someone in the family has a pre-existing condition or a habbit that is considered high risk. Then you have to fill out an addendum or a separate application for their condition or habbit. They have addendums for heart conditions, high blood pressure, drug/alcohol use, diabetes, etc, etc. There are so many addendums and questionnaires, that seeing all that paper alone was enough to discourage me. You can fill out every piece of paper that is required but if you forget to dot one "i" or cross one "t" then you will not get paid. Your business will be held until you go back to the home and do it right. By the way, if they tell you that you get paid every friday no matter what, it's not true. If you do not sell any policies, you do not get paid. PERIOD!
Hendo,

Wow, lol. Everything you say here is true, but do you have to make it all sound so negative? lol.

I have many friends that have been there for years and are very successful in life, and the paperwork is a breeze after a while. Just gotta know how to be organized and keep your binder in order. Not that hard.

It is not for everyone though. Have to have good people skills, good attitude in life, and good work-ethic.



Last edited by Maze510 : 02-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Income Insurance (AIL) Scam - Testimonial rzayshle Insurance Scams 31 11-20-2012 08:43 AM
American Income Life Little Rock/Maumelle, AR tyger Corporate Scams 1 09-28-2012 02:39 PM
Home Business – Income for All life Macius Work at Home Scams 4 06-29-2011 11:31 AM
Alliance Marketing, Income For Life skm Internet Scams 1 08-31-2007 02:39 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. Scam.com does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the User’s own risk. Neither Scam.com nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom. Just because a business, person, or entity is listed on scam.com does not necessarily constitute they are scammers. This is a free open forum where people can debate the merits from the consumer's or business owner's perspective. Registration and participation is always FREE.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.




Scam.com Is Proudly Hosted By Rackco and Protected By CloudFlare


Scams Message Board - Copyright 2004-2013 Scam.com , All Rights Reserved.