report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Religious Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Re: Is the Holy Spirit Real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post
you seem to start alot of threads for the sole purpose of challenging/defeating anything YOU find irrational!?
I don't think it would be just me who would find a bunch of nutters, writhing around on the floor, and gibbering away, utterly irrational and nonsense. And if I challenge that irrationality, then, well, so what?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

I find it perfectly logical and appropriate. If you're going to talk to a make belief gawd...then using a make believe language seems like the ticket.
"I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
I find it perfectly logical and appropriate. If you're going to talk to a make belief gawd...then using a make believe language seems like the ticket.
Fair enough.

But even were I religous, and, I happened to go along, saw fellow Christians doing this, I could not help but to piss myself with laughter at it!

How do they keep a straight face?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 AM
I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

I thought speaking in tongues was proof that you were a witch and that you had to be burned at the stake?
I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
I thought speaking in tongues was proof that you were a witch and that you had to be burned at the stake?
Perhaps it was a mistranslation, and, if found guilty, the witches were served a burned steak..?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
Perhaps it was a mistranslation, and, if found guilty, the witches were served a burned steak..?

Ewwww. burned steak...

Course I think anything more than medium is burned...
I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think it would be just me who would find a bunch of nutters, writhing around on the floor, and gibbering away, utterly irrational and nonsense. And if I challenge that irrationality, then, well, so what?
for 1 thing it means an indicated END to possible discovery!? what if a good friend came and said i've discovered this great experience that's way better than drugs and bid you go along to see and as you are about to enter a church and you stop and start to doubt your friendship.... or not!?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

What's so funny about all this is that Paul himself, in 1 Corinthians 14:8-23, points out the utter uselessness of such nonsense in trying to teach anything of value.

"If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say ye are mad?"

Paul stresses that there is nothing to be learned for 'edifying". Suppose I come into a group of people doing this shit. I'm going to laugh my ass off.

Of course, if some nice young lady is writing on the floor with her dress over her head, I might drop to my knees and share her faith.

Anybody read Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash"?

He built up a pretty good sci fi story based on that idea.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doojie View Post
Of course, if some nice young lady is writing on the floor with her dress over her head, I might drop to my knees and share her faith. .
You'd be welcome.

I'd pass.

She would still be a mentalist.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You'd be welcome.

I'd pass.

She would still be a mentalist.
Who's looking at her mind?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Who's looking at her mind?
LOL.

Seriously though, I could understand it if these sort of practices were limited to under developed nations, where the education system was non existent, and critical thinking absent.

What I find more difficult to figure out is that this sort of garbage, and those head cases who think that going to splash around in some water in Lourdes is going really work for them.

They are clinically deluded.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL.

Seriously though, I could understand it if these sort of practices were limited to under developed nations, where the education system was non existent, and critical thinking absent.

What I find more difficult to figure out is that this sort of garbage, and those head cases who think that going to splash around in some water in Lourdes is going really work for them.

They are clinically deluded.
your not presenting an objective case but insisting on being a know it all!? or worse, seeing others as inferior to yourself, maybe even in a threatening way!? instead you might compare your own beliefs and see what the similaritys are!?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Okay then Lexx, do you feel that there is measurable merit and peer reviewed evidence to support the practice of talking in 'tongues'?

If so, can you please provide it.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post
your not presenting an objective case but insisting on being a know it all!? or worse, seeing others as inferior to yourself, maybe even in a threatening way!? instead you might compare your own beliefs and see what the similaritys are!?
Lexx, here's a fairly objective analysis from the guy who wrote the idea originally. 1 Corinthians 14:14: "For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful".

Did you see that video of those who parayed in tongues? If they used regular language, it showed their frontal lobes actually lighting up as if they used actual language. But when they prayed in tongues, no light, meaning even their own brain didn;t registere it as language. Therefore,
"For if I pray in an unknown tongue...my understanding is unfruitful". DUH.

Verse 19: "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

26: "When ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation. Let all things be done unto edifying".

IOW, if you talk to somebody, say something that's fucking understandable..

Nothing gained by gibberish.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
IOW, if you talk to somebody, say something that's fucking understandable.. Nothing gained by gibberish.
Correct.

And yet not correct.

It suits the self deluded to talk in gibberish, then say it isn't really gibberish, because, handily enough, god will translate it, and flip it back to them in Hebrew, or whatever they are at ease with.

You cannot reason with the unreasonable, just as you cannot do anything for the self deluded.

It could even be psycholigically cruel to do so, at least, do so too speedily.

In the field of psychiatric care, if a delusional has his fantasies torn away too sudden, it can have the opposite effect to what it trying to be gained.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Quote:
Fair enough.

But even were I religous, and, I happened to go along, saw fellow Christians doing this, I could not help but to piss myself with laughter at it!

How do they keep a straight face?
No kidding!...I would be making fun of them every chance I got!
"I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Correct.

And yet not correct.

It suits the self deluded to talk in gibberish, then say it isn't really gibberish, because, handily enough, god will translate it, and flip it back to them in Hebrew, or whatever they are at ease with.

You cannot reason with the unreasonable, just as you cannot do anything for the self deluded.

It could even be psycholigically cruel to do so, at least, do so too speedily.

In the field of psychiatric care, if a delusional has his fantasies torn away too sudden, it can have the opposite effect to what it trying to be gained.
I agree. The point I was making, however, is that their source material even disagreed with them. So, if the source of their ridiculous beliefs says they're doing wrong, either they go to hell for disobeying, or they're under some kind of mercy for doing the best their feeble minds will allow.

But that would leave them to accept tthat salvation is not based on truth, which of course it can't be. Unless the truth that saves them is this special language they speak which nobody can understand, and Paul tells them its a waste of time to get others "saved".

In effect, they're actually being selfish and causing others to not know whatever it is they're supposed to know. No edifying. As Paul says, useless.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I agree. The point I was making, however, is that their source material even disagreed with them. So, if the source of their ridiculous beliefs says they're doing wrong, either they go to hell for disobeying, or they're under some kind of mercy for doing the best their feeble minds will allow.

But that would leave them to accept that salvation is not based on truth, which of course it can't be. Unless the truth that saves them is this special language they speak which nobody can understand, and Paul tells them its a waste of time to get others "saved".

In effect, they're actually being selfish and causing others to not know whatever it is they're supposed to know. No edifying. As Paul says, useless.

What I don't understand is if this is supposed to be about the Holy Spirit..?

How many different Holy Spirits are there, anyway? Is it the Christians' Holy Spirit? or the Holy Spirit of the Universe. Is the speaking in tongues the manifestation, as some claim, to be the evidence for the "presence of the Holy Spirit" ?

If that is the "evidence" what about the fruits of the "Spirit" ..is that yet another Spirit or the same as the Thread suggest? And if so, is it by purpose of this site a Scam ?

If that first video is not enough to convince of a scam what about the following is that not part of "Joy in the Holy Spirit ( Ghost )?

And it is, as you state, nothing edifying. !?!?

Well, There are other gifts of the Holy Spirit , should they also be lumped in together with the "jibberish" ( speaking in tongues, laughter in the Holy Ghost ) because they are not "edifying" anyone else?

Last edited by MrSandman : 04-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.