report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Anyone Have a check delivered UPS?? is this a scam

Sent:Thu 4/08/10 6:29 AM
To:

Dear Terrance Jordan,

How are you and your family doing today?We want to inform you that payment will be deliver to you today via UPS. We want you to be available for the delivery of the package. I urge you to Acknowledge the receipt of the payment.

Amount sent: $2850.00(Cashier Check)

You are to cash the check at your bank,as this is company policy.I hope this is clear...once It is cashed,you deduct 10% as your stipend and send the balance of 90% to my regional accountant same day via money gram or western union money transfer.. You will be processing 3 payments weekly which gives you 30% on weekly basis for the three payment,so you will be making a lot from the job..The 2nd payment will be from $4000 to $7,000,okay..

Here is the western Union transfer details and I will be Expecting the transfer details as our Client who send the payment said that the payment is been Sent.

Below is the Western Union Transfer Information , Thats our California Branch.

Receivers Information you need:
Receiver Name.....Jesus Cruz
Address... 1948 Cheremoya Ave. Apt. 4,
City...Los Angeles,
State/Code...CA 90068
Country..USA

----------------------------------------------------
You are required to send the below information used for the transfer immediately its done.

Sender Name..
Sender Address..
Money Transfer Control Number..MTCN
Amount Sent....

I look forward to having a long time mutual working relationship with you and hope you will do your best in carrying out your duties.Thanks for the understanding,cooperation,sincerity and your adherence to instructions from me at all times.I await your urgent response immediately..

Kind regards
Regards,
Owen Smith

Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Re: Anyone Have a check delivered UPS?? is this a

don't cash the check. it is fake. you are responsible. the crook is trying to steal money for himself while you take the fall. the bank will close your account and try to have you arrested when they realize what you did.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Gold Member

As mumbles points out, this is a variation of the "advance fee" fraud:

Quote:
Fake checks

Fraudulent checks and money orders are key elements in many advance-fee scams, such as auction/classified listing overpayment, lottery scams, inheritance scams, etc, and can be used in almost any scam when a "payment" to the victim is required to gain, regain or further solidify the victims' trust and confidence in the validity of the scheme.

The use of checks in a scam hinges on a US law (and common practice in other countries) concerning checks: when an account holder presents a check for deposit or to cash, the bank must (or in other countries, usually) make the funds available to the account holder within 1-5 business days, regardless of how long it actually takes for the check to clear and funds to be transferred from the issuing bank.[28] The checks clearing process normally takes 7–10 days and can in fact take up to a month when dealing with foreign banks. The time between the funds appearing as available to the account holder and the check clearing is known as the "float", during which time the bank could technically be said to have floated a loan to the account holder to be covered with the funds from the bank clearing the check.

The check given to the victim is typically counterfeit but drawn on a real account with real funds in it. With a piece of software like QuickBooks and/or pre-printed blank check stock, using the correct banking information, the scammer can easily print a check that is absolutely genuine-looking, passes all counterfeit tests, and may even clear the paying account if the account information is accurate and the funds are available. However, whether it clears or not, it eventually becomes apparent either to the bank or the account holder that the check is a forgery. This can be as little as three days after the funds are available if the bank supposedly covering the check discovers the check information is invalid, or it could take months for a business or individual to notice the fraudulent draft on their account. It has been suggested that in some cases the check is genuine - however the fraudster has a friend (or bribes an official) at the paying bank to claim it is a fake weeks or even months later when the physical checks arrives back at the paying bank.

Regardless of the amount of time involved, once the cashing bank is alerted that the cheque is fraudulent, the transaction is reversed and the money removed from the victim's account. In many cases, this puts victims in debt to their banks as the victim has usually sent a large portion of the check by some non-reversible 'wire transfer' means (typically Western Union) to the scammer and, since more uncollected funds have been sent than funds otherwise present in the victim's account, an overdraft result
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ud#Fake_checks

Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

actually, "advance fee fraud" is when somebody says you can have a loan if you pay a fee in advance. this is just the "cash the fake check fraud".

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

yeh a lot of people get advanced fee fraud and check cashing scams mixed up. this is plain old unoriginal check cashing fraud. AAF scams dont send you checks, they just ask you to wire money through western union in order to get your "big payment" - sometimes a scammer will combine both scams into one which is why people get them mixed up - that and they both use WU and moneygram.

Terrance, what company did the scammer claim to be working for? Did they give you a website or any other identifiable information?

Last edited by mumei101 : 04-08-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Yes here is his name and email:

this is some of the information that came with it. The job is suppose to check the efficiency of the western union's and other money transfer providers.

How are you and your family doing today?We want to inform you that payment will be deliver to you today via UPS. We want you to be available for the delivery of the package. I urge you to Acknowledge the receipt of the payment.

Amount sent: $2850.00(Cashier Check)

You are to cash the check at your bank,as this is company policy.I hope this is clear...once It is cashed,you deduct 10% as your stipend and send the balance of 90% to my regional accountant same day via money gram or western union money transfer.. You will be processing 3 payments weekly which gives you 30% on weekly basis for the three payment,so you will be making a lot from the job..The 2nd payment will be from $4000 to $7,000,okay..

Here is the western Union transfer details and I will be Expecting the transfer details as our Client who send the payment said that the payment is been Sent.

Below is the Western Union Transfer Information , Thats our California Branch.

Receivers Information you need:
Receiver Name.....Jesus Cruz
Address... 1948 Cheremoya Ave. Apt. 4,
City...Los Angeles,
State/Code...CA 90068
Country..USA

----------------------------------------------------
You are required to send the below information used for the transfer immediately its done.

Sender Name..
Sender Address..
Money Transfer Control Number..MTCN
Amount Sent....

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

You know as much as this scam has been publicized in the news and online you would think the scammers would be out of business. They just keep plugging along.

I would really like to see the statistics on how many people actually send them the money and get burned.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

I agree with everyone else, 100% scam.

Any person, company or charity who mentions the words 'Western Union' or 'moneygram' is a scammer. Always. No exceptions. Ever.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Newbie Member

This definitely looks like a scam. The grammar is a dead give away. Just put the e-mail on spam. Looking back, I probably have gotten dozen of e-mail similar to that. An example of a UK lottery e-mail, that I had never applied for!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

UPS is NOT Uniter Parcel Service

It is a scam group operating out of Las Vegas, usually via phone.

They say they have a delivery for you, ask your address, then start asking for stuff the real UPS would never ask for.

The real UPS has a good database of customers.

Ask them, is this United Parcel Service --They'll fess up.

Scam for certain.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

That is a scam that has been around for awhile. UPS and FedEx have access to databases of addresses so have little reason to call someone. Usually they will only call a receiver if the address is missing the apartment number or company name for a large multi-suite building.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com