report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Investment Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wes State Lands

I received a postcard about a public oil lottery from this company. I sent in the postcard requesting the information and just received that. It states that public lands will be awarded in public auctions and lottery drawings open to all. You have to purchase these parcels, of course, from 1 parcel at $115, up to 8 parcels for $795. The clincher is probaby that there is not a guarantee that an oil company will want the parcel or parcels that you've purchased. Has anyone tried this and what did you experience?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Wes State Lands

I just received a post card from the same outfit. In the card they sent me they said "A one-time enrollment, of a couple of hundred dollars or so, is all you need in order to begin acquiring ........"
I bet ya that they also make a commission on the sale of each parcel of land.
Besides wanting to know if this outfit is on the level, I want to know if they tell you the location of the parcel you are bidding on, so you get a satellite view of the land & a surveyor's report on it.
My thing is, I buy a parcel w/the idea of selling it to an oil/gas company, but none of them are interested in it.
What do I do w/it then? What if the land is unsuitable for activities like hunting, fishing, camping, skying, or whatever? What if its on the side of a mountain or in the middle of a swamp/bog?
What if I have the land checked out by geologists & find out that there is no gas/oil to be found on the land?
I want to know what I am buying before I plunk down my $s.
Remember back several decades ago when unsavory realestate agents were selling alleged vacation property to people on site, unseen in other states by showing the customers pictures of what they claimed would become the customers new getaway place.
The eager new property owners went to their new getaway places w/great anticipation, only to find out that the property they bought was worthless land that was misrepresented by the realestate agents.
I would like to have a chance to travel out to the parcel to have a look see & check for my self if the property is in fact a potential gas/oil producer or not before I put out any $s on it.
If this is indeed a government program, then there has to be a way to contact the governmental agency that is in charge of gas/oil lease sales, & ask them directly for information about this.
I would rather deal w/Uncle Sam's people than a company nobody seems to have any info on.
I am on disability & have way too many questions & doubts about this to gamble $200+ on gas/oil lease rights that may turn out to be nothing but a great big FART!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garr View Post
I received a postcard about a public oil lottery from this company. I sent in the postcard requesting the information and just received that. It states that public lands will be awarded in public auctions and lottery drawings open to all. You have to purchase these parcels, of course, from 1 parcel at $115, up to 8 parcels for $795. The clincher is probaby that there is not a guarantee that an oil company will want the parcel or parcels that you've purchased. Has anyone tried this and what did you experience?
This sounds like a great idea! Drop $115 for a piece of land sight unseen that you aren't even sure exists based on a postcard? What better investment could you ask for?

I have an even better idea! Send me the $115 and I will GUARANTEE you that I will put one of my toenail clippings in an envelope and mail it to you. After I become astronomically famous and die you can either sell it to a private collector or maybe even the Smithsonian for a HUGE goober of money and your grandchildren will be set for life.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I did some research prior to subscribing and found they do indeed obtain parcels of land from both the state and federal land offices that are then made available. I was dissapointed that they offer no guarantees as to the saleability of the parcels and I've had the one I acquired through them for about 4 months. Otherwise the seem pretty up and up, provide regular updates on my land and are available by phone to answer any questions. I understand their home office is in Casper Wyoming. Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Warrington View Post
I did some research prior to subscribing and found they do indeed obtain parcels of land from both the state and federal land offices that are then made available. I was dissapointed that they offer no guarantees as to the saleability of the parcels and I've had the one I acquired through them for about 4 months. Otherwise the seem pretty up and up, provide regular updates on my land and are available by phone to answer any questions. I understand their home office is in Casper Wyoming. Hope this helps.
Sorry, but a company that's "on the up and up" is usually pretty anal about the marketing presentation and language on the front page of their website. Theirs' seems to have been written by someone's teenage nephew. I also find it curious that a company that has been "in business for 28 years" just discovered the magic of having a website less than two years ago.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
This sounds like a great idea! Drop $115 for a piece of land sight unseen that you aren't even sure exists based on a postcard? What better investment could you ask for?

I have an even better idea! Send me the $115 and I will GUARANTEE you that I will put one of my toenail clippings in an envelope and mail it to you. After I become astronomically famous and die you can either sell it to a private collector or maybe even the Smithsonian for a HUGE goober of money and your grandchildren will be set for life.
Okay, you're not buying land for property development; you're taking ownership of the land and selling oil companies the right to drill on it, and Wes State is 'the middle-man'---they keep in contact with you, updating you on the oil-companies they deal with in your stead.

That's what you're paying for. You're not even 'buying' the land; the government is giving it to you, and Wes State is tracking the paper-trail on it for you ... It's all grown-up stuff, and I appreciate that they handle it for me so that I don't have to grow-up and handle it myself.

(P.S. Do we rate the thread on a scale of 'whether it is about a company that is a scam at all, the scammier, the higher?' In this case, I rate it a '2'---not actually a scam, but likely to be seen as promising something it actually isn't.

(What they are actually promising is actually WORTH the fee, but not if you don't know what you're paying for---communication with the companies that will pay to use your land.)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The oil and gas business is risky by nature. You just don't know what's under that ground, so you are putting any money you participate with at risk.

Beyond that this company appears to be legitimate. A search of the state and federal land databases show they do acquire oil and gas rights from the government and the newsletters that they provide reveal the successes of many of their clients.

They have two websites that have been in place for several years (according to public info); wesstatelands.com (that appears to be a bit dated though) and wesstateupdates.com - fairly current and apparently used for providing updates to their customers on lease parcels in various parts of Wyoming.

I've verified a business location in Las Vegas and a "in good standing" status in Wyoming, where the company is involved in these oil and gas leases. I've also called the company (702-616-1910) and their phones are answered by a live person.

But spend your money knowing that there is the risk of loss and that no one can accurately predict the eventual outcome of anything like this.

Hope this helps.
wildcatman

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I am new at Scam.com

There are indeed no guarantees, but I've verified the company is in business and do indeed acquire oil and gas lease parcels from both the state and federal government in various counties throughout Wyoming. They have a phone that answers with a live person and they have a "in good standing" status with the State of Wyoming where the company is headquartered.