report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Religious Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Mike Murdock's False Gospel

Watching Christian television lately, I noticed three networks were running telethons at the same time. Dr. Mike Murdock was preaching at all three. At one time I noticed he was even somehow preaching at the exact same time on all three of the networks - the Trinity, Daystar, and Inspiration networks. But why does Mike Murdock always seem to be talking about money? If you ever noticed, he seems to rarely, if ever, talk about Jesus. Jesus Christ told us to go and preach the gospel to the whole world, and the gospel is Jesus Christ not money. "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." 1 Timothy 6:10.
Well then somebody will pipe up that it says the love of money is evil and not money. But it seems to me that if some of these preachers are talking about money continually that they have a love of money. I notice the word in the King James Bible "lucre" also means "money." On at least four occasions the Apostle Paul called it "filthy lucre." It would be like saying "filthy money" today. So he seemed to think not only the love of money but money itself was filthy and evil. "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." Colossians 3:2. I don't think there's any money in heaven, so we shouldn't be setting our affection on it.
Some might say that there were a few rich Christians found in the New Testament, notably Gaius, Zacchaeus, and Cornelius. One thing to be noted about all three of these gentlemen however is that they were all very generous in giving to the poor, and, in fact, that quality is required of those who are rich in this world. See 1 Timothy 6:17-19. "Charge them that are rich in this world" that they be "ready to distribute, willing to communicate." "That they be not highminded." That means that they are not to think that they're any better than the poor just because they happen to have some money, and they must be ready and willing and to part with that money to the poor when they're asked for it.
So is that the way Benny Hinn, Mike Murdock, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, T. D. Jakes, Billy Graham, Paula White, Joel Osteen, Kenneth Copeland, Robert Schuller, Pat Robertson and other modern Christian "leaders" are today? I don't think so. Most of these and other rich Christians today seem to think that they're better than the poor and rarely if ever help the poor and needy. Rod Parsley and James Robeson have changed their tune on this in recent years, but I don't think these modern rich Christians who are not willing to freely help the poor and needy when asked are really saved, and if they don't repent will end up in hell. See this link for a report on the lavish lifestyles of many modern ministers: http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele...ifestyles.html

Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
-- ---- --------, ---- ----.

Re: Mike Murdock's False Gospel

Isn't Mike Murdock really "Daredevil, The Man Withour Fear"?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbovee View Post
Most of these and other rich Christians today seem to think that they're better than the poor and rarely if ever help the poor and needy.
I don't diagree with much you have said, and I'm not a fan of many of the above (especially Murdock) but I notice for example on Meyer's website that her ministry gave over $32 million to support Missions and Outreach in 2008 including feeding programs in 27 countries, prison, inner city, disaster relief and medical missions. I think you will find this is more the norm than the exception.

I guess the cynic could say the missions work is just a facade for getting rich, but I'll bet the poor are thankful. How many of us have helped the poor in any similar degree? I don't know; just something to think about.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I don't want to judge anyone, but I understand that Joyce is living a pretty lavish lifestyle. See my link. Others I didn't mention are John Hagee, Richard Roberts, Morris Cerullo, Fred Price, and Billy Graham.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbovee View Post
I don't want to judge anyone, but I understand that Joyce is living a pretty lavish lifestyle. See my link. Others I didn't mention are John Hagee, Richard Roberts, Morris Cerullo, Fred Price, and Billy Graham.
"Everyone needs money..... that's why they call it MONEY !"

Heist (2201)--Mickey Bergman
(played by Danny DeVito)

-Tim Minchin

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I am new at Scam.com

It's not a scam. A few things need to be mentionef. First the Bible does mention teachings on seed giving, tithe - 10% of ones earnings, vow's, pledges... missions... you get the point. M testimony is never at the mercy of ones argument because I know what God's done in my life.

Many Christians are what I call "money scared". Most of us don't have enough of it nor have the knowledge of whay to do with it. Mike Murdoch , along with many other prosperity preachers are reminding is of the blessings God had for us in and with our finances if we follow God's principles and laws. God is a God of order and there is a certain mind set that one must have to understand this.

Well, my fingers are tired from my evo, but what I'm basically saying is simply pit this way. God does reveal to us the importance of sowing and tithe. Secondly the Bible talks about money, or increase of ones value by wage a lot. Third, being tjis is so a preacher giving one the opportunity to walk in biblical principle is not something to upset at. Fourth some of us Christians need toobtain $$$ because God has called us to some duties on earth that require $$$ to obtaon results for hid kingdom.

Remember this, God asks us to give,and to give cheerfully... the principle is what is important, not so much the details of a person... for we aLl fall short, however with the grace of our savior Jesus Christ, ER can obtain salvation and do some cool stuff God has planned for us here on earth regardless of the all mighty buck. Just remember, God doesn't require or nerd money, but people do to get hints done. And when $ is put in proper perspective, its not a get rich quick scam.

Thanks for reading, hope this helpss, I can provide scripture to back up the above if it helps.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 PM

You cannot show me ONE verse in the New testament that instructs us to tithe. Tithing was specifically for ancient Israel, period. These prosperity teachers rely on the Biblical ignorance of their followers. They scare you into sending $$$ while they ALL, without exception, live like kings on your hard earned dough. They are scammers, doing the work of the Lord deceitfully.

Obedience is better than any sacrifice. The best and godliest men of faith I know never ask for money. It is given to them through God's promise that He will supply all your need through His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:27 AM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye888 View Post
You cannot show me ONE verse in the New testament that instructs us to tithe. Tithing was specifically for ancient Israel, period. These prosperity teachers rely on the Biblical ignorance of their followers. They scare you into sending $$$ while they ALL, without exception, live like kings on your hard earned dough. They are scammers, doing the work of the Lord deceitfully.

Quote:
Obedience is better than any sacrifice.
The best and godliest men of faith I know never ask for money. It is given to them through God's promise that He will supply all your need through His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Obedience is one of the lowest levels of existence. Real Sacrifice is the giving up of something of value for the sake of someone else's welfare, without strings or attachments, which by any definition would make it a much higher level of living than obedience could ever be....the same as making oneself Sacred for a purpose.
Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Newbie Member

it's simple. Pastor's / Priest's / Preachers all get paid on a sliding scale based on 2 main factors. The number of members in their parishes and the number of donations made. They are salesmen who get paid a commission on how well they can sell the words they speak.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:

Obedience is better than any sacrifice. The best and godliest men of faith I know never ask for money. It is given to them through God's promise that He will supply all your need through His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

My friend I am not sure what version of the bible you are reading but if you will open with me to the book of Malachi chap3.vs8. It is exact that we are to pay our tithes, and to bring the first fruit of our labor before the Lord that the kingdom might grow. At any rate my friend you will find that right after Luke in the New Testemant. Hope I helped you and God Bless.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dalebradley3 View Post
My friend I am not sure what version of the bible you are reading but if you will open with me to the book of Malachi chap3.vs8. It is exact that we are to pay our tithes, and to bring the first fruit of our labor before the Lord that the kingdom might grow. At any rate my friend you will find that right after Luke in the New Testemant. Hope I helped you and God Bless.
We as believers are not commanded to pay tithes/bring first fruits based on Malachi. We are not "cursed with a curse" if we do not tithe. Jesus did not "pay tithes" or receive tithes. What we consider "tithing" today is WAYYYYYYYYY off from how the bible explains it.

First of all, Malachi isn't even talking to you, a NT believer. Malachi was talking to the physical nation of Israel, specifically to the Levite priests. If your bible has additional chapters besides the overused Malachi 3, look at Malachi 1:1, 1:6, and 2:1-2, which clearly points out the intended audience this oracle was written for.

I'm also sick of hearing (from TV preachers) how we need all this money to preach/spread the gospel or to grow the kingdom. If I walk 15 steps to my neighbor's house, knock on his door, and successfully lead him into surrendering his life for Christ, how much did that cost me financially?

Last edited by llonden : 10-09-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:

you make me laugh.... i pray that god can restore your heart back to the church.... i know you have been burnt obviously with money issues.... bet there are many references to tithing.... have you seent Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever???? that means if you believe that Gods word is full proof... then when God implemented the laws... they were not meant to be broken... but fulfilled with Jesus's sacrafice....

let me give you an example.... if i were to think like you i would say something along the lines of "im not under the law... im under grace" correct?... and if you believe that to be true that means i can go out and murder someone on the street and my answer would be the same? "im not under the law.... im under grace." NO NO NO now you think it is changed around?............ yes we live in a new grace PRAISE GOD... however God is the same today yesterday and forever....

i love you guys and pray a great revelation to come out of GODS word for all of you

Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

The people who preach the "Prosperity Theology" talk more about money than almost anythng else. God will bless YOU if YOU give THEM your money...lol

"God WANTS you do be rich and prosperous." Whatever, don't remember Jesus having much, his life was tough, he walked everywhere he went, and died an awful death. Why do we deserve any more material things from God than did God's own Son?

Why should these fancy talking crooks make make millions a year, and have fancy houses, cars, jets, clothes, while many who listen to them on Sunday are just barely making it hoping for something to change someday?

There is one of those based in Atlanta - Creflo Dollar and his wife Taffy aren't worth a plug nickel imho.

Preaching the gospel is all about saving souls, altar calls, invitations, I would put Billy Graham in this category, he is responsible for more souls saved than almost any other person who has ever lived, except for maybe the Apostle Paul.

Look at the "fruits" of the others - they tell you what you want to hear, not what the Bible teaches. Most of them would not recognize an altar call if they were invited to one.

The Bible says that we will have many false preachers, and we sure do in my opinion.

There is a Bible verse in Isaiah that tells us that false preachers, and those who intentionally mislead others in Gods name are in a heap of trouble someday - Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, Benny Hinny, Robert Tilton and others will face God someday, can't wait to hear what HE has to say about what they are doing....

Last edited by PatrickinGa : 11-12-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Destroyer of bad ideas. Smasher of canards.

False gospel, eh? Is there any other kind?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Money & Finance Minister

The first time tithe is mentioned in the Bible is Abraham's tithe of pagan spoils of war, and Abraham kept NOTHING for himself. This was NOT an act of worship. The goods that Abraham gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abraham:

Genesis 14:21 (NIV) - The king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the people and keep the goods for yourself.”

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abraham if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him and those he represented.

Genesis 14:22-24 (NIV) - 22But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, and have taken an oath 23that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the thong of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ 24I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshcol and Mamre. Let them have their share.”

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abraham also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom and those he represented.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abraham acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abraham, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abraham did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abraham's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abraham not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abraham did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him. That is NOT an example for Christians to follow today.

The next mention of a tithe is Jacob's VOW to tithe. Jacob set the conditions, not God. Nowhere in The Word does it tell us that Jacob actually tithed. Genesis 28:10-22

Next is The Lord's Tithe. God gave His definition as a tenth of crops and animals which came from God's hand, not man's income. God NEVER commanded anyone to tithe on anything that man made or earned. Leviticus 27:30-33.

The ordinances (instructions, or laws) for The Lord's Tithe are in Numbers 18. God gave strict orders to take His tithe to the Levites. God NEVER changed that command. Anyone who takes God's tithe to anyone other than the Levites is being disobedient to God's Word.

There are other tithes in the Bible such as the Festival Tithe and the Tithe for the Poor. It is The Lord's Tithe that churches pattern their teaching after.

Church leaders ignore God's definition of His tithe, and ignore God's ordinances for His tithe. They change the words to fit their pocketbook. This is nothing but manipulation of God's Word. They are false teachers.

The Bible CLEARLY SHOWS that the tithe ENDED at the cross in the Book of Hebrews. In the first nine verses of Hebrews 7 the words tenth or tithes appears SEVEN TIMES. The ONLY place in the Bible, after Calvary, that tithing appears is in Hebrews 7.

In Hebrews 7:5 we are told that Levi (the Levites) took the tithes under the law. In Hebrews 7:12 we are told that when the priesthood changes, the law will change. Hebrews 7:18 is telling us that Numbers 18 was disannulled. Numbers 18 established the Levitical priesthood, and part of that establishing included tithing. When the Levitical priesthood ended (at Calvary, or at least in the year 70AD when the temple was destroyed), all laws that established that priesthood were canceled. If Numbers 18 wasn't canceled, we would still be under the Levitical priesthood.

Those who argue they didn't have money or income then really need to study the scriptures. They had money and wages, even in Genesis. The farmers had income from barter exchanges, and they had markets to buy and sell as proven in Deuteronomy 14:24-26.

Those who argue Malachi 3:8, robbing God, need to start with verse 7. God is talking about His ordinances in Numbers 18 which we learned were disannulled according to Hebrews 7:18. Also, if you start with Malachi 1, you will see that God is speaking to the priests, not the people. The priests robbed God of the tithe (Nehemiah 13) and the priests robbed God of the offerings (Malachi 1).

In Nehemiah 10:37 we learn that the firstfruits were taken to the temple for the priests, and the tithes were taken to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities. Therefore, it has been established that firstfruits have nothing to do with the tithe.

OLD TESTAMENT - THE FIRST OF THE FRUITS SHOULD GO TO GOD
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT - THE WORKER SHOULD BE FIRST TO RECEIVE A SHARE OF THE FRUIT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

When was the last time you heard a pastor say that you should spend the FIRST part of your income on yourself and your family?

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

The New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Anyone who is truly born again will not hear a strangers voice. He or she will only hear the voice of Jesus the Christ. To truly hear and understand this wonderfull mystery requires the will of God.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

You're all full of shit. The bible, ya know...the book of myths written by MEN, is nothing more than a vehicle used to control a people.

Do you really think an all knowing, all powerful god requires your sacrifice, be it financial or other wise? Is his is ego that big it needs to be fed in such a manner?

Religion is a heavy suitcase, all you need to do is....put it down.
"I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:

First, question: Do you think Christians "should" tithe as a form of worship and obedience to God? Are you saying that Christians don't have to tithe?

Or are you arguing with the televangelists focus on money as the be all/end all of our faith?
I would agree with you on questioning the motivation of a televangelist asking for money.

I would not agree with you on a church asking for money. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matt 6:21 & Luke 12:34)

Tithing is actually mentioned in the NT, not just specifically...
(1 Cor 16:1-2, Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do.
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. or
2 Cor 9:7, Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” )

...but also as a way of living. Yes, the OT set up a legalistic system of tithing and the NT does not support such behavior. However, Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. Just as we are not saved by our works (yet faith without works is dead), we are not saved by our tithes (but if I won't let go of my money, where is my heart)?

How do you come down on that?
Bridge