report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Chat Here
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
U.S.A. #1

258 miles oer gallon

Subject: $600 Dollar Car

And why not, beats a motorcycle. How about opening a dealership????

Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg -- It looks like Ford, Chrysler and GM missed the boat again!

China launches $600 car that will get 258 mpg

This $600 car is no toy and is ready to be released in China next year.

The single seater aero car totes VW (Volkswagen) branding.

Volkswagen did a lot of very highly protected testing of this car in Germany, but it was not announced until now where the car would make it's first appearance.

The car was introduced at the VW stockholders meeting as the most economical car in the world is presented.

The initial objective of the prototype was to prove that 1 liter of fuel could deliver 100 kilos of travel.

Spartan interior doesn't sacrifice safety

The aero design proved essential to getting the desired result. The body is 3.47 meters long and just 1.25 meters wide, and a little over a meter high. The prototype was made completely of carbon fiber and is not painted to save weight.

The power plant is a one cylinder diesel positioned ahead of the rear axle and combined with an automatic shift controlled by a knob in the interior.

Safety was not compromised as the impact and roll-over protection is comparable to the GT racing cars.

$600 car gets 258 mpg

The Most Economic Car in the World will be on sale next year:

Better than Electric Car - 258 milees/gallon: IPO 2010 in Shanghai

This is a single seated car

From conception to production: 3 years and the company is headquartered in Hamburg , Germany .

Will be selling for 4000 yuan, equivalent to US$ 600..

Gas tank capacity = 1.7 gallons

Speed = 62 - 74.6 Miles/hour

Fuel efficiency = 258 miles/gallon

Travel distance with a full tank = 404 miles

Volkswagen 258 mpg car on sale in 2010.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

Re: 258 miles oer gallon

http://www.caradvice.com.au/25172/vo...conomical-car/

Old 02-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31166_7-10408071-271.html

this one looks closer to production.

70 US mpg fuel economy

Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Diamond Member

Great, so where does your spouse sit? Strapped to the roof?

Cripes the first time you are hit by any truck, SUV or mini van, your ass would be toast. That thing is a death trap. If it even had an air bag, it would knock you out the back window. I wouldn't let any child of mine drive that pathetic excuse for a "car". Show me the US standard crash test results, since the Chinese are so reliable when it comes to safety and products that they export.

Can you even fit a weeks worth of groceries that sardine can? Nice view you have of the traffic ahead too.....er.....I mean other people's bumpers. 74 miles an hour? You'd be road kill on most freeways and interstates in this country. Can you imagine trying to drive that piece of shit in the slow lane wedged inbetween dozens of big rigs? How about trying to get up a mountain or even a steep hill? With the no weight factor issue alone, good luck driving it in pouring rain or in the snow. Golf carts have more room in them. lol

First there was the VW Bug, now we have the VW, Gnat!

BTW, the press release on this "car" from Volkeswagon, came out in April of 2002. Whatever happened to it being manufactured en masse and sold?

http://www.greatchange.org/footnotes-1-liter-car.html

Last edited by put it out there baby : 02-26-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Feisty Bird

It would be economical for local driving. I would never attempt getting onto a turnpike...thats an accident waiting to happen. It would be too confining and cramped for me to enjoy the drive. The gas savings would be tremedous but it would never meet standards in the usa. I owned a 66 volkswagen bug at one time...great little car. I would buy a new vokswagen bug before I would buy this little car.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:22 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
It would be economical for local driving. I would never attempt getting onto a turnpike...thats an accident waiting to happen. It would be too confining and cramped for me to enjoy the drive. The gas savings would be tremedous but it would never meet standards in the usa. I owned a 66 volkswagen bug at one time...great little car. I would buy a new vokswagen bug before I would buy this little car.
For large cities they would be great for getting around in.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
For large cities they would be great for getting around in.
Until you have a car accident. How safe is it not to be even able to view the traffic and road conditions ahead of you? Large cities have road work, other accidents ahead, stalled vehicles, traffic jams, emergency vehicles comming towards you, all sorts of hazzards and you are mostly stuck in bumper to bumper and heavy traffic. This car is so low to the ground, you can't see a damn thing except the license plate of the car infront of you!

I guess it would also mean no errands or trips to the Home Depot or Lowes in this "car" and always riding alone. If you look around at the kind of vehicles that many people drive, you will see a lot trucks, mini vans and suvs. Then there are buses and all types of big rigs and large delivery/cargo trucks. Again, the first time one of them should crash into you, you would be dead. Economical does not mean practical in this case or even safe. Even a crash that you were lucky enough to live through, would total this "car" and you would be injured. Think about that.

Another issue that needs explaination, is that it's .99 liter, which is, obviously, 990cc, about 60c.i. Which is a large enough engine to make 258mpg sound highly unlikely, no matter how aerodynamic and lightweight it is, unless maybe it's 0-60 time is measured in hours rather than seconds, in a dead calm, no wind, downhill.

Plus, acccording to their website, it gets 33 city 41 highway, costs 11 to 20K and has obvious storage issues if you plan to bring home more than 3 bags of groceries. So what really is the truth here?

A Toyota Corolla gets 35mpg with a combo of city and highway driving, it costs 16 to 17K and has enough storage capacity for most needs. Same for the Honda Civic. Plus, it's not butt ugly.

Can anyone tell me what the actual advantages of this "car" are?

From what I have researched, the $600.00 price is also bogus. Way bogus. The car originally was devopped in 2001/2, then stopped, then re-developed first time the car presented in September 2007.
Built (not in Hamburg but) in VW's experimental factory close to test track facility in Ehra-Lessien (Lower Saxony)
The price of 35,000 Euros (if/when production starts in 2010*) is thought possible to be reduced to 5,000 Euros from 2012 onwards.

The frame is lightweight magnesium and the body is carbon fiber and each of those probably costs about $600 alone. A lot of postings talk about "gas" but they're really run on diesel. Diesel is realy hard to find as most gas gas stations no longer even have a diesel pump. I found this out recently when renting a large U-Haul truck to move my office and hangar to another airport. We must have gone to 20 gas stations trying to find diesel fuel.

A Ford Focus has great mileage, is cheap top buy, seats two and can actually carry a week's worth of groceries and many other items.

The only world the this car would be practical in is one where there is seldom if ever an open parking space, one never purchases anything larger than a small suitcase, have no friends, kids or spouse and always ride alone, is never asked to run an errand for work where they have to pick up some boxes, never pick up people from the airport, never pick up or drive your kids your kids before and after work to school, only meet people at their destination, never accumulate any miscellaneous stuff, even temporarily, in the car (we all do that, don't say you don't), don't ever go anywhere with a pet to take them to the vet, etc. IT'S IMPRACTICAL! I guess if you are over weight at all or handicapped, you aren't goin to be driving this "car" either. If you are 6 foot tall and over, would you even fit into this vehicle? I doubt it.

What has VW been doing with this great little concept car for the last 8 years?

How would you drive this car in any type of serious weather? Oh and forget fresh air because you CAN'T roll down the windows! The entire top of the car is one piece and lifts up to one side. Kinda of claustrophobic! Personally, I would hate riding around in a sealed coffin.

Last edited by put it out there baby : 02-27-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by put it out there baby View Post
Until you have a car accident. How safe is it not to be even able to view the traffic and road conditions ahead of you? Large cities have road work, other accidents ahead, stalled vehicles, traffic jams, emergency vehicles comming towards you, all sorts of hazzards and you are mostly stuck in bumper to bumper and heavy traffic. This car is so low to the ground, you can't see a damn thing except the license plate of the car infront of you!

I guess it would also mean no errands or trips to the Home Depot or Lowes in this "car" and always riding alone. If you look around at the kind of vehicles that many people drive, you will see a lot trucks, mini vans and suvs. Then there are buses and all types of big rigs and large delivery/cargo trucks. Again, the first time one of them should crash into you, you would be dead. Economical does not mean practical in this case or even safe. Even a a crash that you were lucky enough to live through, would total this "car" and you would be injured. Think about that.

Another issue that needs explaination, is that it's .99 liter, which is, obviously, 990cc, about 60c.i. Which is a large enough engine to make 258mpg sound highly unlikely, no matter how aerodynamic and lightweight it is, unless maybe it's 0-60 time is measured in hours rather than seconds, in a dead calm, no wind, downhill.

Plus, acccording to their website, it gets 33 city 41 highway, costs 11 to 20K and has obvious storage issues if you plan to bring home more than 3 bags of groceries. So what really is the truth here?

A Toyota Corolla gets 35mpg with a combo of city and highway driving, it costs 16 to 17K and has enough storage capacity for most needs. Same for the Honda Civic.

Plus, it's not butt ugly.
Can anyone tell me what the actual advantages of this "car" are?

From what I have researched, the $600.00 price is also bogus. Way bogus. The car originally was devopped in 2001/2, then stopped, then re-developed first time the car presented in September 2007.
Built (not in Hamburg but) in VW's experimental factory close to test track facility in Ehra-Lessien (Lower Saxony)
The price of 35,000 Euros (if/when production starts in 2010*) is thought possible to be reduced to 5,000 Euros from 2012 onwards.

The frame is lightweight magnesium and the body is carbon fiber and each of those probably costs about $600 alone. A lot of postings talk about "gas" but they're really run on diesel. Diesel is realy hard to find as most gas gas stations no longer even have a diesel pump. I found this out recently when renting a large U-Haul truck to move my office and hangar to another airport. We must have gone to 20 gas stations tying to find diesel fuel.

A Ford Focus has great mileage, is cheap top buy, seats two and can actually carry a week's worth of groceries and many other items.

The only world the this car would be practical in is one where there is seldom if ever an open parking space, one never purchases anything larger than a small suitcase, have no friends, kids or spouse and always ride alone, is never asked to run an errand for work where they have to pick up some boxes, never pick up people from the airport, never pick up or drive your kids your kids before and after work to school, only meet people at their destination, never accumulate any miscellaneous stuff, even temporarily, in the car (we all do that, don't say you don't), don't ever go anywhere with a pet to take them to the vet, etc. IT'S IMPRACTICAL! I guess if you are over weight at all or handicapped, you aren't goin to be driving this "car" either. If you are 6 foot tall and above, would you even fit into this vehicle? I doubt it.

What has VW been doing with this great little concept car for the last 8 years?

How would you drive this car in any type of serious weather? Oh and forget fresh air because you CAN'T roll down the windows! The entire top of the car is one piece and lifts up to one side. Kinda of claustrophobic! Personally, I would hate riding around in a sealed coffin.
Hehehehehe Boy you sure got riled a bit my friend. The only thing this is good for would be for a collection or in a parade. When I saw this I thought it would be a bit mind provoking and it sure was. It was just to good to pass up. Can you just see me trying to put my 6'4" 284 lb. frame into that tin can.
Yoy would need a can opener to get me out of it.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
Hehehehehe Boy you sure got riled a bit my friend. The only thing this is good for would be for a collection or in a parade. When I saw this I thought it would be a bit mind provoking and it sure was. It was just to good to pass up. Can you just see me trying to put my 6'4" 284 lb. frame into that tin can.
Yoy would need a can opener to get me out of it.
I am not at all riled up about anything. I am just pointing out the fallacies and issues in the article about this vehicle and with the vehicle itself. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by put it out there baby : 02-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Yea I wouldn't want to be caught in that little death trap either. I have been in 13 auto accidents in my life (so far). Everyone of them occurred 5 miles or less from home.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipp View Post
Yea I wouldn't want to be caught in that little death trap either. I have been in 13 auto accidents in my life (so far). Everyone of them occurred 5 miles or less from home.
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "coffin corner" doesn't it? lol

Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Swingdickery!

What happens when it falls in a pot hole? I mean, here in the heart of the Midwest, we get pot holes that could swallow that thing whole!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
What happens when it falls in a pot hole? I mean, here in the heart of the Midwest, we get pot holes that could swallow that thing whole!

Well ya gotta fill those holes some how, right.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
All I can think of, looking at this is, "Where are the lifting rails on that casket?" If you drive this thing in Phoenix, your a better man than I am, Gunga Dinh!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
All I can think of, looking at this is, "Where are the lifting rails on that casket?" If you drive this thing in Phoenix, your a better man than I am, Gunga Dinh!
ROTFL! Can you imagine being in this thing sealed, (remember the windows don't open) and this machine trying to power your AC in the Summer there or any where in the west??? You'd die of heat stroke in 20 minutes. I've seen rides at Disneyland with bigger seats and more room than in driver's area of this "car". Hell, the head on my plane is bigger. lol I guess there's no driving up to any fast food joint window either.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
I am with you on this. I really don't think it would pass any safety test of any first world country. I didn't see a link to where this article came from. If a link is there I would like it.

Yes you are correct on the turnpikes that would be the last car you would want to be in.

Sure who does not want better fuel milage, though I'll take safety over
fuel milage any day.

Improvements in fuel economy will come with new engine designs and lighter materials used in building the frame and the body of the car that are cost effective.

That small of a car is just plain unsafe. Not only that but where the hell would one put their golf clubs.

Not that I play golf. Maybe some day I will.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by put it out there baby View Post
ROTFL! Can you imagine being in this thing sealed, (remember the windows don't open) and this machine trying to power your AC in the Summer there or any where in the west??? You'd die of heat stroke in 20 minutes. I've seen rides at Disneyland with bigger seats and more room than in driver's area of this "car". Hell, the head on my plane is bigger. lol I guess there's no driving up to any fast food joint window either.
"Hello, and welcome to Wendys. May I take your order? Oh dear....Quick! Get the manager! There is a roasted chicken driving this tiny crock-pot at my window!" Too funny!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
"Hello, and welcome to Wendys. May I take your order? Oh dear....Quick! Get the manager! There is a roasted chicken driving this tiny crock-pot at my window!" Too funny!!!

love it. LMAO