report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Hotel Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Dear Readers,

True to our commitment to Customer Care and in an attempt to resolve Ms. Christopher’s situation in good faith; we contacted her and offered a resolution.

Verbally, she had agreed to stop posting during our negotiations and accepted them without hesitation.

Needless to say, she has made it clear it is not in her interest to cooperate in resolving this matter at all as she continues to post compulsively. We cannot negotiate in this manner. We have principles and our integrity is being compromised.

We host thousands of satisfied guests every week and we measure the caliber of our quality through several mediums in an attempt to improve on a daily basis. In fact, the company employs and trains thousands of individuals that work hard day and night to satisfy each and every guest and her bogus accusations without support are unacceptable. We have received many certifications that prove her accusations are completely untruthful.

Therefore, as we had said before, we will not continue entertaining libel online and Ms. Christopher has our contact information if she would like to cooperate in the way we had offered to resolve this matter. We will no longer continue any communications with her if we are not contacted through the proper channels. Our email is grupomayanblog@grupovidanta.com and our telephone number is 1-800-292-9446, from the UK you can reach us at 0-800-096-9367.

Hopefully one day, she will understand that our intentions are honest and she will let us complete our negotiations.

Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter. We are truly sorry she is not letting us help her.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

Last edited by Grupo Mayan : 03-07-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Beware The Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace in Mexico!

We really wish we had googled Mayan Palace scam too before we went to Purto Vallata in Jan 2011. Same as everyone else, we were lured to Mayan Palace sales presentation by salesperson in the airport. It was supposed to be 90 min, but like many others mentioned, it turned out to be 6 hours and a $2999 purchase of something that was totally mis-presented.
Like everyone else, we were shown a lot of math and nice plans about paying a lump sum now and get 25% annual return going forward by renting out unused units. Fortunately we were told before that no one can promise the return in writing and the returns are not guaranteed. So we said “no” to all of these and we were led to another group of people, who claimed to be “developers”. After we said another “no” to one of the “developers”, we were then greeted by Carlos, another salesperson, who presented us another fantastic offer - $2999 for Grand Paradise Club membership. We decided to buy that membership ONLY because of the “Fast week” and Cruise Certificates he DESCRIBED to us.
However, what he presented to us in the presentation on both of them was deceiving!
First false information is about "Fast Week". Carlos showed us a sample hotel book with all 4-5 star hotels including Waldorf Astoria in NYC. He claimed that the sample book is where we can pick hotels from as "Fast Week". He said that as long as we book the hotels within 60 days of travel, we can get any hotels from this book or even more in the actual book for as low as $100 a week and for any check-in date we want. That is the definition of "Fast Week". However, what we received was only a "Fast Week" list (about 50 hotels or less, mainly in Vegas and Mexico) online or via phone, which specified check-in date and only for specifically identified hotels. We cannot pick hotels from the book he showed us because we didn't get any books. And we cannot get for any dates we like even if we call within 60 days. The contract says "member acknowledges that he has been shown a sample package including all program certificates and terms and conditions". However, we were shown false information on how "fast week" program works. We were not shown any real website that accurately explains how fast week works and how to book "fast week". We were only shown this hotel book that we never got and that listed all 4 to 5 star hotels that Carlos confirmed that they are the source of "Fast Week" booking, which is not true. On the spot, we specifically asked whether hotels like Manhattan Club in NYC can be selected as “Fast Week”. Carlos said “Yes”. He said he actually just came back from that hotel, and he stayed there for $350 a week! I also asked what would be the “as high as” price if the contract stated “as low as $100”. Carlos said it would be $125, or at most $300+, it’s definitely not going be $600 or $700. After we got the package, we realized that the lowest rate at that time was Vegas for $300 a week! Hotels in NYC are not in fast week list, but in hotel booking, we can get them for $300-$800 A NIGHT, so $2100-$5600 a WEEK!
Second is for Cruise certificate. The membership includes fixed price Cruise coupons, which are $399, 599 and 799. Carlos REPEATEDLY promised to us that the fixed price has included taxes, port fees and etc, which we knew is a big portion of cruise cost. So we will pay the $399, $599, $799 fixed price ONLY. Carlos showed us the sample certificate printout that says "fixed priced discount cruise ticket for two", and nowhere on the coupon mentioned that the port fee and taxes are extra. So Carlos led us to believe that's the whole inclusive price by all the promises. However, after we received the package and activated the cruise certificate for Alaska cruise, there is an $1200 extra cost for port fee, tax, upgrade fee (even though that’s the inner room without window) etc., so ended up costing $1952.2 for two, far over the highest fixed price category $799. When we wanted to use the free ocean view room upgrade certificate because Carlos told us that we could use it with the certificates, we were told by the club that we had to use it when we purchase the cruise tickets on our own.
We wrote to Mayan Palace to get refund through the email they left us, and they responded by ignoring our comments on everything that Carlos falsely presented to us verbally. They even made ridiculous comments on $799 inclusive fixed price, saying that the fixed price ARE inclusive, but inclusive of food and entertainment, which everyone knows comes with cruise for free. We wouldn’t be THAT stupid to confirm if the price is inclusive of food and entertainment.
We are sure the contract has been written in a way that they could deny anything they said in the presentation, but it will not change the fact that they promise everything untrue just to take your money. And all the prior posters have further affirmed what I have said here.
We just want to share our terrible experience with all the potential travelers and wish them STAY AWAY from it!! And we will try all means to get our money back!! Thank everyone who has provided ideas in the prior posts.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The issue was resolved to our satisfaction.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We purchased at the Mayan in Nuevo back around 2003, and paid WAY MORE than we should have. I could have put that money down as a down payment for a second house in California. Anyhow, it seemsed like a dream at first, until many of the "promises" where not true. We were told the same thing, "We will buy back the EXTRA week we are throwing in if you do not use it so we can rent it to others potential buyer.". Bahhh, what a load of crap. Never once has that happened. We were also told how "easy" it would be to rent out our first week if we were not going to use it. Well, unless you threw down the big bucks for the Holday's included in your purchase, forget it.

One of the worst things is the constant lie about there being no Beach View rooms available. I am sooo sick and tired of this lie from the front desk. They keep the beach front rooms open for potential buyers and could not give a rats ass about a current owner. Potential suckers up front, all others to the back of the bus.

Last time at the Mayan, about three years ago, we were asked to come to a breakfast so we can hear about new services offered. Well I be kicked in the stomach. It was a Timeshare Presentation to a place we ALREADY own at! I was pissed off, but held my manners out of respect for my wife. They offered us some crappy get away and some other real stupid stuff. As soon as my 90 minutes were up, I said "Let’s go".

People, if you do it ask for $400.00 cash. The trips they give away blow.

The service as well is terribly slow. I am a pretty patient person, but ordering food or coffee took much longer than it should have. What a scam.

Avoid this timeshare people.

Last edited by Kingster : 04-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Newbie Member

WE ATTENDED WHAT WAS TO BE A "90 MINUTE NON-TIMESHARE RELATED PRESENTATION" AT MAYAN PALACE IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR. ON THE 7TH HOUR, HAVING 2 SMALL KIDS IN THE TOW, WE WERE COMPLETELY WORN OUT. AFTER REPEATEDLY SAYING "NO" TO 6 OR 7 PUSHY SALESPEOPLE WE WERE LEAVING THE RESORT BUT AT THE LAST MOMENT WERE INTERCEPTED BY ANOTHER AGENT, HELENA DANIELSON. SHE SOUNDED SO CONVINCING THAT WE BOUGHT "PARADISE WEEK" PACKAGE FROM HER FOR $3000. Every word she said turned out to be a lie. BEWARE OF THESE PEOPLE, THEY'LL SAY ANYTHING TO GET YOUR MONEY, BUT THEY ARE A COMPLETE FRAUD ! WE LOST THE ENTIRE DAY OUT OF OUR 6 DAY VACATION PLUS $3000.

During the presentation, the words "Grand Paradise Club" never came up. I had my iPad with me and could have Googled it on the spot to find out about this scam. But Helena led us believe that we were buying discounted weeks from "Advantage Services" (another shell company in this scam food chain). We were shown a booklet with numerous hotels and resorts that will be available for booking to us. A month later, our welcome package arrived in the mail. As we tried to use the booking system, however, we discovered that inventory available at the website is extremely limited and nowhere close to the one we were shown. For the discounted so called “fast weeks” price manipulation is used where an additional mandatory all-inclusive fee must be paid at check-in that brings total cost of reservation well above market price. Cruise certificate also turned our to be a worthless piece of paper, as other posters on this board indicated.

The website is a joke with many links that are totally inaccurate or broken and does not meet commercial website design guidelines. Only few reservations can be made online, other inventory has a “call” banner next to them. When we called for a reservation, we were told that these discounted weeks were not available. We realized that these weeks are no more than “bait and switch” to get customers to call so that Grand Paradise Club can push other stale inventory to them. Also, GPC charges additional reservation fee of for each reservation made – a fact never mentioned in our contract.

We have filed dispute with Mastercard - had anyone have any success with that ? I will post again once I get a response from the credit card company. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD SO THESE BUSTARDS ARE OUT OF BUSINESS ASAP ! I've seen a post on TripAdvisor.com about setting up a website for a class action - GRANDPARADISESCAM.COM and GRUPOMAYANSCAM.COM. I will let everyone know when they go life so people can join the CLASS ACTION lawsuit. It's a shame Mexican government tolerates this kind of scam going on for years in their prime tourist areas. No wonder Mexico has the reputation it does.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We just filed a dispute as well with Mastercard. We sadly fell prey to this last week while in Mexico. We were told they were a Elite Resort, location not only in Mexico but Hawaii and Las Vegas... This property would elevate our initial package to allow us free inclusive offerings at all inclusive resorts. Reduced travel, a cruise was thrown in... We are horrified to realize it was all lies...

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Dear Andover2011,

In order to recover your money, you have to go aggressively
against Grypo Mayan/Mayan Palace or else being dismissed ** them as a nuisance. Please read more information here : www.mescam.com. The idea is to cost them 10x the amount of your refund in future business to make it profitable to refund your money. While at the same time continuing to pursue credit card dispute - as even if it doesn't work, it serves its purpose as an additional pressure point. Beware of signing any "settlement" without making sure you have the money first - you will be scammed again ! They will be laughing loud at another naive gringo that night all while sipping Pina Coladas and Margaritas bought with your money !

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Please rescind my comments posted concerning the Grand Mayan, Grupo Mayan. They have resolved my issues to my satisfaction. Thank-you

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I've been shorted on incentives as well. At one time buyers had a 3 business day right to cancel their timeshare purchase.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ironically, the name Helena Danielsson is one we also know after experiencing exactly the same 'presentation'. We spent a number of hours listening to 'Ryan' trying to sell us a timeshare membership even though our family are already multiple week owners with RCI and The Registry Collection from several years back and have used their services on numerous times without any problems.

After finally getting the message that we were not interested in buying a timeshare at the Grand Mayan we were 'passed on' to Ms Danielsson who then went through her almost 'good cop, bad cop' sales pitch for the Grand Paradise Club scheme where we could buy 75 weeks to be taken over 25 years. She promised us that we would have access to RCI, Registry Collection, San Francisco Exchange, HSI and other resorts at a cost of 450USD per week for a 1 bedroom apartment, 550USD for a 2 bedroom apartment and so on up to a 4 bed apartment for around 850USD per week. We were also promised the opportunity to book 'fast weeks' which she outlined at length after discussing my wife's upcoming 40th birthday in Oct 2012.

She then showed us the RCI and HSI brochures that she had to hand confirming to us the thousands of resorts we would have our guaranteed prices (as above) and access to with our membership once we had joined. Sadly , in a moment of weakness and even though we had always said we would not commit to doing anything, we agreed to sign up to the 75 week deal and paid the money ** credit card.

A week or so later we arrived back in the UK and googled 'Grand Paradise Club' to see what would come up and we were horrified!! The feedback on Trip Advisor, here and on other forums/blogs made us very angry about what we had been promised and concerned about what we had signed up for so, I immediately called Ms Danielsson in Mexico to express my concerns to her first hand. I could not get hold of her when I called so left a message with a colleague. She called back soon after my call and reassured me that there had been some problems in the past but that everything was now sorted out and that the majority of those complaining on the TA site and others were basically serial complainers who have nothing better to do and would complain about anything anyway. I went away slightly less anxious than before after she had also said and I quote 'that 98%+ members of the Grand Paradise Club week scheme are very happy with the services and opportunities which the scheme provides them'.
A week later we received our password and membership email so registered our details on the website. When doing this we were again concerned that there seemed to be no option which fitted our membership as an owner of 'paradise weeks' so we had to select 'unknown'. We then went onto the linked site to request availability for July/August (11-12 months ahead) next year in Canary Islands (Of which there are literally hundreds quoted in the RCI and HSI brochures which Ms Danielsson showed us. This was of particular interest to us as our family has access to resorts there through their existing RCI timeshare).
We received an automated response from GPC to say we would be contacted within 24 hrs ** phone or email. This did not happen and after two or three days of checking emails, spam folders etc we feared the worst and contacted our credit card company on 1st September to make them aware of the situation and dispute the payment (6200 USD).
We have since had contact from GPC to say that they have no accommodation availability in the entire Canary Islands when we wanted. We find this incredible as through having family with membership of RCI/Registry Collection we know for a fact that availability is not a problem at our given time in the Canary Islands. As with many others on this and other sites, it appears as though we have been lied to ** Ms Danielsson when she was selling us this membership.
We have now contacted GPC again and are awaiting a reply to see if they have any availability over a six week period through numerous other regions in Europe.
I hope that someone from GPC will contact me about this post to resolve the issues we have and return our money before we have to take it any further. If GPC are genuinely concerned about their integrity then I am justified in my expectation of a very swift reply!
Mr Moore- United Kingdom.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Newbie Member

After about 5 months back-and-forth with the credit card company we got full credit ($3000) for the mistake we've made with Grand Paradise Club. I felt so stupid for believing even a tiny portion of their lies ! We supplied credit card with all the facts proving that Grand Paradise Club/Grupo Mayan is basically a fraudulent operation, including excerpts from this site. Their salespeople are exploiting the fact that Western business culture is based on trust. If you are not trustworthy, you don't stay in business for long. Well, apparently not so in Mexico, where they rely on constant influx of first-timers lured in their spiderweb ** free "gifts" offered at the airport. The gifts, ** the way, are not even worth the 6+ ours of vacation time a typical victim would waste on a supposedly "90 minute non-timeshare related presentation". That's why the first question they ask travel-fatigued people at the airport is - "Is it your first time in Mexico ?". First timers are their primary target. Half way through the process, GM found me and offered to "settle" provided I removed my posts from TripAdvisor, scam.com, redweek.com, mescam.com and other sites. I saw some people retracting their posts, but how could I be sure that I won't be scammed again ?! Just search for "Vera Christopher" on this forum - this lady from the UK has fought for 3 years with no result ! Grupo Mayan demanded that I execute all paperwork and remove my posts UPFRONT. So they ask to be trusted with MY MONEY having lied to me and thousands of other victims before but they's won't trust ME with anything ?! That's what defines crooks ! The "settlement" required that I sign a bunch of legal mambo-jumbo surrounding all the rights to ever make details of the settlement public. I ran it ** my lawyer and he stated that this so called contract is basically non-enforceable piece of s**t as a person can always hide under a different nick which is not traceable back to the individual. All it is designed for is to scare s**t out of honest law-abiding citizens. Nonetheless, there was always a chance that my signed settlement could be used in credit card dispute as a proof of my dropped claims, so I decided to press with the credit card first. I am glad I did. I guess other posters where less lucky in their credit card dispute process and had to succumb to Grupo Mayan demands. My gut feeling was that they won't part with the money easily, always trying to sell you something else, just as they do after an unsuccessful timeshare pitch at so called "exit interview". That's where I was belittled ** Helena Danielson for not having "faith in humanity". I do have Faith in Humanity, Helena, but YOU are NOT part of the humanity as I define it ! After we wasted whole day away from our 6 day vacation, my 2 small kids were sweaty from the heat and dehydrated, but they would not even allow kids to use swimming pool ! Imagine if you are treated like that BEFORE they grab your money what would it be AFTER you sign on the dotted line ! GM has a whole investigatory department stuffed with English speaking American and Canadian ex-pats who traded their integrity for a perpetual vacation mode lifestyle in Mexico. Their job is to cut losses and sweet talk internet posters into removing or retracting their posts. Their typical line is "Everyone has complains. Apple has complains. Honda has complains". Sure. As if dropping a name or two of great companies next to a scam operation would somehow cleanse them from their wrongdoing. Search Scam.com for Honda or Apple or Best Buy. I am sure the'll appreciate it if you let them know of any hits !

Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thanks again for your post, everything you covered sounds very familiar with our own experiences from early August 2011 (last month).
I still haven't had any reply from my mail to GPC yesterday even though they 'guarantee' a reply within 24hrs. The one thing I can assure anyone who cares to take any interest in my situation is that I will make life extremely uncomfortable for GPC if I do not feel we are being treated fairly and given the service which was guaranteed to us ** Ms Danielsson.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I have now had contact from Ventas Riviera Maya and would like to retract my statement on the basis that my complaint has now been successfully resolved.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I am going to make my point clear. Mayan Palace is a SCAM! I was in cancun in october and was lured into going to their 90min presentation for discount tickets
on excursions. To make things short, let me summarize the horrible experience I had and having with the Mayan group.
The things your representatives tell you are LIES!
They will use all of the information they know about you to come up with lies to suit your needs

Ex. 1
Laureen knew that I am a golfer. She guaranteed 50% off all golf courses all around the world with the HSI membership... We confirmed this many times over the 10hour period of being at the Mayan. She clearly said it over and over again that the discount applies to all courses local and international. She was intentionally lying to us.

Ex. 2
She exaggerated all the details about the program. She told us the essentials on how we can use the weeks we purchased but we come home to figure out that all the details have been much exaggerates to the point where nothing she said was applicable.
1. Using the weeks outside of Mayan for exchange program with any other hotel in the world would give us twice the stay (1 week at mayan = 2 weeks elsewhere)
2. A flat rate of $779/week applies to all hotels around the world. Since point 1, it would add up to $779/2 weeks. I tried making a reservation for a random hotel in New York City just to see if this was true through HSI and the est. came out as nearly 1000 for 3 nights stay.
3. Lowest price for flights and cruises guaranteed. Again, she specifically said 50% off all flights.
All the "benefits" are very limited, and from my experience none have been applicable.

Ex. 3
One of the most upsetting lie was about the cool down period. She specifically knew that we cannot contact mayan group to cancel our contract in the 5day period (actual cool down period) as we are on vacation and we do not have internet access. So when we asked her about the cool down period, she said 14 days to make us feel safe about purchasing. We come back home after our 7day vacation and that we can no longer cancel our contract despite finding out it was a scam.

Ex. 4
Guaranteed buybacks. I did not know what this was however she brought up this topic herself and explained to me that it is a program where we can decide to sell our timeshare. Mayan group guarantees buyback policy with original payment plus equity.

STAY away from Mayan Palace!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

This review is not about the actual resorts but the sales team for the Mayan group. These are beautiful properties and the grounds are world class. We spent a week in Neuvo Vallarta at the Grand Mayan. We had booked the Grand Bliss thru RCI but were bumped into the older resort, and given a room facing the parking garage, just because they can. We asked for an ocean view, but had to attend there time share session. I am a well educated and well travelled person but I still fell for their scam. IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, GET UP AND WALK AWAY, DO NOT THINK ABOUT IT, JUST DO IT ***BEWARE CANADIANS- The Mayan group has hired over 100 Canadian sales people to take your money. These guys can sell a freezer to an inuit. I live in the great white north and they sold me one. It was explained to me as "VIP" , but is actually Fastweeks Travel Pass, not worth the paper it is printed on.
You may feel it is a great deal but you will realize when you log on to the Advantage web site the selection is minimal, not the cost they verbally stated and sh** places.
DO NOT buy anything after you have gone thru the presentation and go to collect your so called gifts.
Juan Carlo and his schyster clan will play to the trusting Canadian and southern cousins of the US.
If you want to buy this time share, go online, there will be hundreds for sale by people already taken.
One of the outrageous technics the final unibrow schyster pulled on me was while he was verbally explaining the contract to me and I was reading along he would make a point and thump his two hands to his chest, diverting your attention away from the contract. I can not comprehend why I fell for this a**ho*** sales technics.
If you want to book some fastweeks which only look 60 days ahead , send me an email to fortmac@shaw.ca and I will send you a list of available units. I can not sell them but you will have to pay for my time which will be the same as the cost of the units.
I did buy at the Sheraton Buganvillias in Puerto Vallarta 3 years ago and have a lot of respect for this smaller family owned facility and how they conduct there business. The presentation stayed to the time promised.Thanks for reading.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

RETRACTION:
I have now had personal contact with the administration office for the Fast Week Travel Pass program and Ventas Riviera Maya. I would like to retract my negative statements made on this site dated 24/12/2011. My complaint has now been successfully resolved. Their timely response exceeded my expectations and I acknowledge that they have engaged in fair business practices.
Thanks for reading, Fortmac

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

1. I take back everything I have written about Mayan Palace as all of my issues have been resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Newbie Member

fortmac, lets fight,

Hopefully you have had sufficient guarantee from GM that your money will be refunded before posting retraction comments. I refused them and went credit card route instead because these people are absolute crooks and can not be trusted with even a broken mop. After all, after being taken by someone for a few thousand dollars, how would you feel about unconditionally trusting them again ? I've heard that some people who posted retractions are still waiting for their refunds to show up ...