report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 AM
I am new at Scam.com

iFreelance - good or bad?

Paid for a subscription to this website ($108.00) yet to land any jobs, it's a bidding process, but after almost a year starting to notice some funny stuff regarding jobs posted and bids, I contacted another person who has been their awhile and they had a lot of interesting stuff to tell, thought this would be a good place to invite other "iFreelancers" to share any of their good or bad experiences. Based on the information I have culled so far, I won't be renewing my subscription when it comes due, and I am real interested in finding out as much as I can about this website (good, bad and ugly) before I finalize that decision...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Newbie Member

Re: iFreelance - good or bad?

Hello,
I have a buyer account there for years, but use it very rarely because I don't feel the site too safe. I mean you are almost alone there when you are trying to make a business with someone. You have to pay outside of the site, there is now escrow, etc.
I just had a very bad experience there recently which changed my view of the whole site.
In short I suspect there are a lots of fake providers/buyers there. They give each others good reviews, then they put low bids on projects and if they win the job, they ask an upfront payment via PayPal and then they disappear or just ignores you.
Especially if you are following their "instructions".
I choosed someone a month ago, because he had only good reviews and his bid ($200) was good for me.
He said he want $75 upfront and he promised me to finish my job in a week.
I paid the money. He wrote me a message on the site that he accepted the job and he asked me to use only email, because he lost a complete communication with a buyer because of the ifreelance site. That was odd, but I did not think anything bad and since I also prefer email, we "communicated" there. Of course he wanted me to do that to not to have any proof on the ifreelance site against him.
After a week he did not even send me a message, so I asked about his progress.
He told me he is almost ready.
Ok, I wait a few more days, nothing.
And that was for weeks. In the middle I asked him to upload his work in progress so I can see what he has done so far.
He promised it, but of course he did not do anything for days again.
I was thinking to close the whole job and gave him a negative feedback.
I went to the site and I noticed he did not even accept my award officially.
I thought he forgot, because he wrote me a message he accepted it.
Now I know that was his intention.
So he can easily decline my award anytime without any consequences when I started to ask him questions why my project is not ready after 4 weeks while he promised me one week.
And since I paid him a month ago, I can not even ask PayPal to refund my money, because they already completed the payment.
That happened to me yesterday and I'm really pissed, not because my $75, but because the one month I was waiting for my job to finished.
He managed to send messages to me what makes me think he is working on it almost constantly. There were some clues and warnings, but I was patient.
How many times he promised something and how many times he did not even answer my email.
I will be more careful next time that is for sure!
I learned the following lessons:
- never pay upfront if he did not accept the job on the site.
- use the site's messaging system only,
- don't be to patient. if you think he did not do anything, you are usually right!

After that I checked his profile and I found some very suspicious things. For example he has only perfect reviews. It is suspicious also his reviewer has similar names and all of the reviews were submitted in a short timeframe, they have very similar title "Need a..".
The provider was PAJ Art Studio.
His name was Peter A. Joseph.
His email was designer45@comcast.net
I'm sure it is a fake name.
He has 3 accounts here.
http://www.ifreelance.com/provider/d...oviderid=76451
http://www.ifreelance.com/provider/d...oviderid=83864
http://www.ifreelance.com/provider/d...oviderid=85036

Old 02-25-2010, 06:06 AM
Newbie Member

Update: I contacted PayPal about this provider, but unfortunately they can no do anything, because I "bought" a virtual item.
I can not believe people like that can steal freely without being catched.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: iFreelance - bad- designer45@comcast.n

I too got sacmmed by designer45@comcast.net on ifreelance. He used the same "techniques" with me. Wish I had seen your note first. I will stick with guru.dom where they protect their buyers. Ifrelance woudn't do a thing and niether would paypal. WORTHLESS, paypal, ifreelance and designer45@comcast.net--- not necessarily in that order.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Newbie Member

Re: iFreelance - bad- designer45@comcast.n

I'm sorry to hear that :-(

Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Bronze Member

I'm hoping that this freelancehomewriters.com is not associated with ifreelance. Does anyone know if both is associated? I paid 2.95 to start & their will be a monthly charge if 49.00. This is a e-book freelance and more....I write on behalf of the company whether it's e-book, press release, or the company's website & more...
Let me know so i can pull out earlie, just signed up yesterday.

Thanxs

Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Coffee Marketer

If you are going to break out of the system to avoid fees - which maybe another reason the person wanted to chat elsewhere - You could ask a person to actually send you an invoice for a real product - you could ask that they send raw copies and the completed work with an outline of product on a CD and you send the upfront payment for that, you pay the rest when the product arrives on the CD -

A CD can be sent quite cheaply through the mail and cost pennies to make - they can't complain and you are giving them money so no reason they can't send you a CD with raw graphics/templates or concept typed out in a pdf or text doc. and put it on the CD.

Buying this CD is then reason to get your money back if they turn around and don't complete the work, which should be on the CD, as if your goods don't arrive - you can claim back.

There are of course nasty customers that will try and rip the merchant off - but the merchant can send PayPal proof of postage if it was recorded delivery/ signed for so if you are lying the creative is protected - which is win/win.

www.123contactform.com/contact-form-lemonpies

Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Is it really worth the money to pay for these freelance sites? There are a lot of decent sites for freelancers to use that don't cost anything or at least not as much.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Money Making Opportunities Reviewer

Give Constant Content or istockphoto a try. They are both freelance sites that cost you, the contributor, nothing. Instead of getting a freelance contract, you just post your material and other’s bid on the rights to use it. Or you could try a forum like Digital Point and make a post about your services. Once you have a reputation within a community, the job offers will fly in.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I won't pay for any freelance site since there are still a lot of good site that cost you none out there. anyway Good luck.
Merrell : GREAT...for now...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

I agree, do not pay to do freelance work, because the best places for this (some of which are mentioned above) are free and I assure you, you will get better results.

It's all about building your reputation and working steadily. Paying for a subscription will not guarantee you freelance jobs.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Coffee Marketer

I think it might be worth paying a fee for a service, once you have really looked into / researched the whole thing - there are bound to be freelance comparison websites out there - and not all of them will be biased to the compnay that gives the highest commission for referral.

I'm the kind of person that won't pay for anything if I can help it, but if I find a product or service that clicks all the boxes and offers value - or value I can personally build on further I will pay up.

I'd always try the free versions first, but if you are in a hurry and need an outsourced solution, it helps if you have a network of trusted business people to turn to, you can find serious business people on linkedin, Xing, Yasni, ecademy and a number of Ning networks if you look hard enough.

www.123contactform.com/contact-form-lemonpies

Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I called Paypal and this man is a scammer. They would not say much because of confidentiality....but they are on to him. If he does not repay me, I am alerting the FBI. This is FRAUD and they take it very seriously. He can give all the smiles he wants :), but the fact is that he is a scammer. His email address is designer45@comcast.net.

I suspect he uses other addresses as well. BEWARE....do not use www.Ifreelance.

You do have some recourse. Contact www. econsumer.gov and I am looking into other options. We cannot let him get away with these things.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Reporting Fraud like

To report fraud like designer45@comcast.net

http://www.econsumer.gov/

and
to the Internet Crime Complaint Center

www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I reported Peter A. Joseph.

But I also spoke with Paypal and they said that they are are that "Some people are scammers." They would not say much more, but I think they are investigating him. Please BE SURE to take the time to report your scam to them. If they get enough, they will prosecute.

I will continue to use www.guru.com. They hold the money until you are satisfied. Now I am going to call Ifreelance and see what they have to say.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm an artist and I had an account there,

I only got one request to draw something for someone and the lady was incredibly rude and only wanted to pay me $2.50 for FULL RIGHTS To the artwork I produced.

That seemed outrageous to me...I spend 25+ hours on some pieces and she only wanted to pay me 1/3rd the price of minimum wage for full rights to my artwork.

I don't think that website is legit, which saddens me because I need to find a way to earn money online....seeing as I can't get a job in real life due to not being able to drive and other issues :(

Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Velcon have you tried some of these places:

http://www.dragonpencil.com/employment.htm

This one has a paid section but you can try the free section first: http://www.artdeadlineslist.com/

http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=17

Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Haven't tried them yet, but I will look into them. Thank you for the links :3

Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Newbie Member

I just came back to this site.
Any news about designer45@comcast.net ? Did some succeed to get his money back?
Btw. I started to use odesk and I'm very satisfied with them.