report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2006, 02:24 AM
Newbie Member

Is worldpay a scam or a reliable website for Internet Payments?

Hello, to make a complicated story short, and you might call me naive if it is a scam but i was on craigslist.com one day and saw an ad for a 2005 infinity g35 for 9000$, after contacting the owner who was named Manson Sula he explained to me indeed he was selling and that he was in albania for important business and that his car was at worldpay's warehouse, and that they would ship it to me , after getting contacted by worldpay this is what the 2 emails said:

Welcome:
Item: 2005 Infiniti : G35

WorldPay Transaction Case ID: 440520068

Spacer Spacer Spacer

Manson Sula

WorldPay Member Since 06-16-2004
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer Spacer Identity and/or Contact Information Verified. Spacer
Spacer
Spacer Continues to meet strict Seal Membership Criteria.
Spacer
Spacer Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.
Spacer
Spacer Item: 2005 Infiniti : G35 backed by WorldPay's Buyer Protection Policy - up to $10,000.00*.
Spacer
Spacer The WorldPay Seal, along with other factors, can substantially lower the risks of buying online.
Spacer Spacer Spacer

Spacer Spacer Spacer

Buyers and Sellers Know What to Expect: The buyer and seller view and agree to terms before the transaction begins.
Payments are Guaranteed: Instead of sending payment directly to the seller, the buyer sends payment to WorldPay Services where it is held in a trust.
Shipments are Safe: The seller may feel safe when shipping the merchandise to the buyer, knowing that the buyer's payment has been verified and is safely held by WorldPay
Inspect Before You Pay: If the buyer and seller agree to an inspection period, the buyer may examine the merchandise before payment is released to the seller (and if the buyer rejects the merchandise, the seller may inspect the merchandise upon return before payment is refunded to the buyer).

WorldPay uses industry standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal identifiable information, such as encryption and Secure Socket Layers. WorldPay has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, or alteration of any information under our control. However, "perfect security" does not exist on the Internet.

WorldPay repeatedly tries to encourage the other party to respond to a case, but we cannot guarantee participation, since the process is completely voluntary. If the respondent does not reply within one week from when the case was initially filed, it is unlikely that you will receive a response and we will close the case. If we hear from the other party after the case closes, we will reopen the case and notify you.

Currently, the seller has a $10,000.00* deposit in an WorldPay managed purchase protection account. Transactions with this seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. The insurer of this transaction is WorldPay Inc.
The account is managed by WorldPay center.
This transaction is supervised by Craigslist.com team.

For buyers or sellers safety, if the owner of this account wants to withdraw the
funds, he will have to wait at least 15 days from that day before the funds are
released and the purchase protection account is closed.

Should you need a refund for this transaction?

The insured amount of the transaction will be taken from the seller's purchase protection account and refunded to you. The refund is sent to your bank account, or by check or money order. The way you are refunded is at your discretion.You have 15 days from the above verification date to request the refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.

Buyer XXXXXXXX should feel confident purchasing from a WorldPay Seal Member. Seal Member Manson Sula has been verified by WorldPay Services and is committed to customer satisfaction and resolving disputes via mediation.

Our system confirm you that you are fully protected in the transaction with Manson Sula only in these cases:

#
Payment sent but merchandise not received.
#
No response to your messages.
#
Payment sent but merchandise not received as the seller described it.

The insurer of this transaction is WorldPay Inc.
The account is managed by WorldPay center.
This transaction is supervised by Craigslist.com team..

Your WorldPay Mediator will assume that information you disclose during the mediation can be shared with the other party unless you specify otherwise.

You have 15 days from the reception date to request the refund. Refund requests are processed within 3 days.

Thank you for using WorldPay.

and the second email instructed me to pay:

Welcome:

Item: 2005 Infiniti : G35

WorldPay Transaction Case ID: 440520064

Transaction Title Model Year VIN Number
Infiniti

G35
2005 JNKCV54E25M401355

Amount Down Payment Shipping Fee Total Price
9,000.00 USD

3,000.00 USD
000.00 USD 9,000.00 USD

Buyer Information

Name:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Street:

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Spacer

Seller Information
First Name: Manson
Last Name: Sula
Street: 125 Retris Karal

City:

Tirana
Zip code: -
Spacer

WorldPay Agent Information

Name:

Sabri Meni
Street: Sami Frasheri 30

City:

Tirana
Zip code: 251 / 2
Spacer

You are involved in a transaction Case ID 440520064 with WorldPay Customer . We require the payment to be done by Western Union money transfer to our legal WorldPay insured partner. We choose this payment method in order to speed up the transaction

We offer currency payment only using our offshore trust account.Our department require the payment to be done through Western Union money transfer service please visit: www.westernunion.com. You have to pay with cash at any Western Union Office.

HOW TO MAKE PAYMENT:
1. Locate the nearest Western Union Office
2. Make the payment with cash using the above WorldPay Agent Details
3. E-mail us the following details from the payment receipt:
- MTCN - 10 digits number from the payment receipt
- Sender Name and Address
- Receiver Name ( WorldPay Agent )
- Amount

Important The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances. Our customer chose this payment method in order to speed up the transaction. WorldPay Services security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally, drawing on both internal assessments and the support of government agencies. Our constant priority is for the safety of our people, our customers, and the general public. WorldPay Services always tries to fulfill its customers' needs

Once we receive the payment confirmation form, we will contact the seller and aprove to start the shipping. We will hold the payment until you send us your confirmation that you are satisfied with the product. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will release the payment to the seller.

WorldPay Services takes several steps to protect both the Buyer and Seller against fraud:

1) All payments by the Buyer are verified as "good funds" before the Seller is instructed to ship,

2) All shipments are tracked to ensure the Seller shipped and the Buyer received the merchandise,

3) If the merchandise is fraudulent, it gives the Buyer the chance to return the merchandise before payment is released to the Seller.

I haven't paid the down payment and have emailed him about the inspection method in which they ship the car to me and payment is made after 5-10 days.. but no reply yet 5-6 hours have passed, so i ask you guys for any assisstance that you guys can give

Last edited by sojustask : 08-22-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Is worldpay a scam or a reliable website for Internet Payments?

Short, and to the point. It's a 100% absolute, total scam. If you've sent so much as one red cent, it's gone forever.

Consider this for a minute: A 2005 Infinity G35 for $9K. Nine thousand US bank notes for a car worth, what, at least 3-4 times this amount, and a person in Albania happens to put it on Craigslist? This screams out "SCAM" so loud it should hurt the ears of everyone within a hundred miles.

So far as WorldPay, absolute scam also. If you doubt it, send the $3K downpayment and see what shows up in the next few weeks...

Jerry

Old 05-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Newbie Member

whats also funny is that the vin , if you look it up its being sold on ebay for 30,000.00 by a dealer and has the same specs that he described to me word for word, and i alerted this to him and he just made up some bs saying that he had boughten that car and that was the car he was selling . =/ sorry but i think its ascam too now..

Old 05-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Newbie Member

im still looking for mroe opinions on the matter.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Blad3d
what other opinion do you need. You want someone to tell you to give them your money.

A big red flag: send your cash by Western union. This scam has been going on for a while.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Newbie Member

The name alone is enough to prove it's a scam. Well, to me at least :D

Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is a scam for sure..

Think about it, why would worldpay (Royal Bank of Scotland) request you send money via Western Union?

nuff said.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

The name yea, lol.
The "world" pays the owner...

Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I don't think it's WorldPay thats a scam, it's the people they do business with. I received a similar invoice (just wanted to see how far these people would go) and I did contact WorldPay who confirmed the scam.
Here's a portion of my email from them for kicks. Funny that this girl, "Lisa Arcara" has been a member of WP since the same day as Manson Sula.

WorldPay Services SEAL #045734849631
Welcome: Vickie Rojas

Item: 2005 Mini Cooper

WorldPay Transaction Case ID: 440520052

Lisa Arcara
WorldPay Member Since 06-16-2004

Identity and/or Contact Information Verified.

Continues to meet strict Seal Membership Criteria.

Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.

Item: 2005 Mini Cooper is backed by WorldPay's Buyer Protection Policy - up to $20,000.00*.

The WorldPay Seal, along with other factors, can substantially lower the risks of buying online.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:53 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The official website of Wordplay is not a scam but MUJTABA KHANWAJA. Wordplay is a corporate company that deals with other business and companies. But do not with individual transactions. That email that you received is not actually from Wordplay but from a person that is using the name of Wordplay in order to obtain money. I know this because I was also searching to buy a car and the seller said she was from Albania. Then I received an email form Wordplay with the same payment instructions as you. So then I did research on line and obtained a customer service contact number (1-800-661-7079) form Wordplay and they told me that a Wordplay transaction case ID with my name does not exist and that they do not have me in their system. Therefore the emails we have received are scams. I thank GOD that I did not fall for the scam and I just hope that you do not fall for it either.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I am so glad you posted this.....same deal...a 2004 BMW X5 for $8900 on craigslist. Seller out of country due to divorce - so on and so forth....funny thing, when we googled "worldpay warehouse" this came up - and so did another for a jetski scam where the person received the same email verbatim that we did describing the situation of being out of the country busy, etc. AMAZING!!! Live and learn - fortunately the word is out - hopefully that will put a damper on scammers success.

The name we were given: Debbie James

Last edited by lbcrowley : 05-22-2007 at 03:40 AM.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz3d
im still looking for mroe opinions on the matter.
Totally legit your a lucky man

Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I too spotted a 2005 BMW X5 for $8900, on Craigslist. Like a kid in a candy store I sent off several emails. It took about 24 hours but I got a response. Same stuff, divorced, busy, out of the country. Then more followed asking for my name, address, ect. Was told in the last email that Worldpay would be in touch to make arrangements. So then I started doing some searching. Worldpay ia real but when I typed in Worldpay warehouse I was directed to this site. Futher research, googled the vin number, the same BMW showed up at a dealer in Kansas City only the price was $56K. I notified Craigslist, AOL and the dealership. Still waiting to hear from Worldpay! HA! The named used on the email address, Elisabeth Darcy. I guess the old adage is true "if it looks to good to be true..........." Hope this helps some one not to make a costly mistake.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Newbie Member

Okay so I took a big leap into the naive pool as well... I responded to a craigslist ad which was for a 2000 celica (21,000 miles) for only 2850.00 they claim the car is in a Worldpay warehouse... and the owner is in Scottland..sooooo I started googling and found this page. thank you...and we will not be sending them any money...phewwwww...;-)

Below is a copy of my ORIGINAL email..many more followed.. The next email gave details for payment etc... etc...

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm in Scotland right now and I have been very busy.Anyway,thank you for your interest in buying the car. The car is located in US right now and has US papers.Why is the price so low? I am going trough a divorce, and I had to move out of USA. I cannot register the car here, as it is made for USA, according to USA standards. So all that I want to do now is to sell the car at this price, because I need to sell it fast.The title is clean and you will have absolutely no problems to register the car in the States. I will tell you a few words about the car..
My 2000 Toyota Celica GTS with manual transmission it is in immaculate condition with 20,800 miles and have the VIN number:jtddy32t3y0022685, rust free , no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. The motor runs very well.The interior looks great.This car needs nothing,The title is clear ,it is not a salvage one.
I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time at my disposal. I already have tones of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. The car is like new, in perfect conditions,accident free, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever. a genuine road runner ready to be yours, but only if you shall understand and you won't make me loose time as it has already happened to me.
The price is $2,850 USD THIS IS MY LAST PRICE.I will not negociate the price.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car ,to be sure that I don't waist my time with endless discussions.This way,I shall be assured of the serious intentions.So if you are interested please email me back.

If you like to see additional images with the car please click here : http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ld_celica_gts/
Regards!

~Donald Gerek~

Last edited by bobbieguskos : 05-30-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow, you found the same thing I did. The guy that emailed you is Donald Gerek is he not :P and thats the same message I got.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Newbie Member

yeppppppppp...

usually when its too good to be true---it is.

if you go to the actual world pay site (which IS REAL) they offer several payment options... but the emails that I got supposedly from World Pay state western union ONLY... Of Course when I called world pay they have no record and NEVER REQUEST western union. as stated above already, the con artists are just using "world pays" name, but they are not really coming from world pay. they also confirmed they do not do individual transactions...

what's odd is that most of these posts are a year + old until the last few days.

Last edited by bobbieguskos : 05-30-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

its all just email. he could send you an email that says Jimmy Carter will hold your money till you are satisfied. then you would get an email from Jimmy confirming the deal. and its all just email. deal locally. go see a car, negotiate and buy it. there is nobody selling cars cheap while they are flying around to albania of whatever.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:25 PM
419 Fun

Very Simple!! If the only form of payment accepted is Western Union, it's a scam.