report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Please Help! - Refund from Western Union on scam

Hello,
I was the victim of what I now know is popular scam during flat rentals.

In short, I moved over to London from Canada and was in a hurry to get a flat. I was in contact with a "landlord" who said they needed a proof of payment from me i.e. receipt of a money transer from me to a "best friend" via Western Union. I made the transfer to my girlfriend and sent them a copy of the recipet to show my "proof of funds." By the time I realized what was really going on, the money had already been picked up by the thief.

Western Union gave me no warning about this scam (which, after investigating, I now know has been going on for months) and they essentially gave my money away to someone who was not the intended reciever. Yes, I did show my reciept to someone, but what if I had dropped my reciept? Does that mean anyone can just pick it up, go into a western union, and collect the money? I believe Western Union's security is seriously flawed. I have been getting more outraged as I continue to deal with the Western Union customer service. In short, they don't care - not their problem.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen to them? Anyone been successful in getting any sort of refund from WU?

ANY information to help me in my case against western union would be really appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

All the best,
Jeff

Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Please Help! - Refund from Western Union on sc

When you send money via WU, it is gone, that's why it's the scammers best friend. At least that's been everyone's experience so far. I have been following scams for years and know of no WU refunds.

You can file a complaint with WU and your local police but I doubt you will have any luck.

If you have any luck with WU, please post the details for others.

Last edited by dirty_bird : 12-11-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

Hi Jeff,

I don't know the technicalities of getting a refund from Western Union but I am very familiar with them being the main way of transferring money for 419 scams.

As I understand it, I'm afaid that's it for your money and/ or getting a refund. Once it's been picked up at the other end, that's it. In my opinion, WU are as guilty as the scammers themselves. They know full well what's going on but won't do anything (or very little) to warn people as that would stop a lot of money transfers and hence stop a lot of their profits.

Someone else on this board might have a better understanding of where you stand re. a refund, but I would also ask the question over at www.419eater.com. There are people there who know the ins and outs in great detail of how WU operates and should be able to let you know.

Again, for the benefit of all, never, ever, ever do any sort of business with someone who will only accept money transferred by WU.

Western Union is the hallmark of a scammer and the company and their services should be avoided at all times.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

I am afriad dirty_bird is right, WU are terrible, their security is awful and many of their customers are scammers.

WU wont do anthing and neither will the police. the only chance you would have is to contact your countries trading commissions company (i.e. FTC) and report WU for operating in a reckless manner.

eventually people will stop using Western Union. Their cavalier approach to security is giving them an awful name and more and more people are simply associating them with scams and wont do business with them at all.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you everybody for all of the advice and comments. Yes, the police have not been helpful at all and only chewed up a lot of my time. I have posted on 419eater as well and am still investigating this. Please let me know if you have any other information regarding this matter and I will do the same.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I was recently scammed by an advance fee loan scam. They are North Atlantic Capital Resources in Alexandria, Virginia. They used Western Union to collect their money. I live in Canada and was told to send money to people in Halifax, Nova Scotia and London, Ontario. After realising it was a scam, I approached Western Union and they said they could only give the pick up location to the police. No help at all. I read yesterday that Money Gram was sued for $18 million because their employees were part of these scams and the company did not take any steps to stop it. I guess they were making a lot of money from it.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

http://www.westernunion.com/info/fra...country=global

Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcole51 View Post
I was recently scammed by an advance fee loan scam. They are North Atlantic Capital Resources in Alexandria, Virginia. They used Western Union to collect their money. I live in Canada and was told to send money to people in Halifax, Nova Scotia and London, Ontario. After realising it was a scam, I approached Western Union and they said they could only give the pick up location to the police. No help at all. I read yesterday that Money Gram was sued for $18 million because their employees were part of these scams and the company did not take any steps to stop it. I guess they were making a lot of money from it.
Hi,

You can read a story about the MG settlement here as well as the FTC complaint.

http://patrickpretty.com/2009/10/20/...ational-fraud/

Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi there,

My friend and I have fell victims aswell... 600 pound each..
Has anyone ever recieved money back from western union and if so how did they go about it..

thanks.. need help badly!!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Sorry to hear that you lost money to a scammer but happy that you found scam dot com to post your experience.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of lost money, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

5 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
1) Job asks to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
5) Job asks you to pay visas, immigration, travel fees, expenses in cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you so much for all your advice... I have definately learnt my lesson- just pity it was such an expensive one!

It happened whilst we are travelling- so we are attempting to get our money back through travel insurance- fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantelle333 View Post
It happened whilst we are travelling- so we are attempting to get our money back through travel insurance- fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Do let us know how that goes, am curious how it will turn out. Keeping my fingers crossed and good luck.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello,
I have recently been scammed. I searched *****s List for a car. I came across a nice 04 Acura TL for $2900. The supposed seller, Chris Jones claimed to be in the army and said he was selling the acura which belonged to his soon to be ex wife. This guy did not leave a phone number only an email address. I made contact with him and he said that the car was mine after I completed the western union transfer that ebay would provide in another email to come. Sure enough an email came from an ebay address with a support invoce number and a transaction case id number. The ebay email also had the ebay logo and the vehicle purchase protection program information on it. It really looked authentic. The transfer was made and the car was supposed to be shipped in 3-4 business days and I would have 10 days to inspect the vehicle and then the money would be released to the seller. Needles to say, i checked with western union on thursday and the money was picked up on the next day after I sent it. I feel so stupid, upset and just pissed. Western Union, ebay, *****slist, the government, the fbi, and the police are all fully aware that innocent people are being scammed for millions of dollars and there's no protection for the innocent. It only takes three people for a class action suit. I would really like to sue western union and *****slist for several different charges. The police can only do so much because there's so much followup that has to be done with these type of cases.The scammer gave an email address of chrisjones-It-army@hotmail.com and the ebay email address is ebay@support-customers.com. I've learned not to trust anyone, and purchasing on the computer is out of the question. Hopefully I can help someone else. And hopefully karma or the fbi will be able to do something about some of these crooks!

From an angry person!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

hi there,

I completely understand your anger and frustration. I am in the same boat- no one wants to help. For the innocent, its so hard if not impossible to get your money back yet its so easy for the theifs to break the law and draw out our money... just doesnt make sense!!??

I want to take this matter further.. we need the power of numbers though-- the more people we can get to band together the better.

Anyone else in a similar position as us!? Let us know!!

Chantelle

Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

the same just happened to me....i thought i was protected by the ebay protection policy....but that wasn't even valid for my transaction...i thought i was buying an embroidery machine to expand my small sewing shop...instead i have lost $2500 which i took out a loan for and now will have to struggle to pay that back......i am all for joining any kind of lawsuit to stop this from happening to someone else....

Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello,

I as well! I was scammed over a year ago from Western Union and am still pissed off. Ive sent them numerous letters, and have tried numerous times to get them to at least take some PARTIAL responsibility. Bottom line - they dont care. And why not - they got their money. Its sickening that this is still happening to lots of people and WU has taken no action (at least any thats made a difference) in protecting its customers...

I am all for some sort of action against WU. With such a high number of people who are victims... this kind of class action suit could be a lawyers. Again, as stated, just need the numbers....

Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

I understand your frustration but I don't understand why you think WU should be held responsible? I have never seen where they promote the scammers activities and in fact on their website they have warnings about the scams.

Blaming them is like blaming your bank for the same scam... it's not their fault for giving you access to the money and in fact if the banks started putting a 4-5 week hold on all the checks we deposit we would be one furious nation. The banks give you access to the money because you have been a good customer... WU lets you transfer the money because you CHOOSE to do so...

There is no possible way they can keep a list of all scammers and protect you.. that is YOUR repsonsibility.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I have personally fallen for at least one scam and one scheme... In neither case was I willing to blame the magazine that published the ad.. or the website provider that allowed the scheme to be published...

In both cases it was simply my own lack of common sense that was to blame.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

You are completely wrong, and probably are a scammer for saying such a thing. Yes, Western Union should be responsible for certain frauds. For example, you need an ID to pick up money. The people checking IDs that work for WU need to be trained on how to check for fake ID's and there needs to be at least 2 forms of ID for proof. You must be stupid to not realize that WU can beef up their security in order to catch these scammers that are using their system to scam people. If I owned a company like this, I would NEVER sit back and let this happen. I wouldn't want my company to have a bad name either. Western Union will be known now to help scammers. Look at the other companies today, they update and improve, especially as technology improves. They need to get their *ss in gear to improve their system. It should be against the law to know if such a thing and continue it........