report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Retail Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Email Order Scam Example, Tips, What to Look For

Hi, I did a search on google to find your reporting site. I thought I would add my recent experience with this. I knew pretty quickly that this was a scam, but many others might not. This is a typical Email from a possible prospective Customer. The Email was titled "Order". I get many emails like this one shown of people wanting to place an order. There are a lot of people just like me, in the very same situation and I know some are falling for this because I have heard stories of the people who have been victimized. The people who have been the victims, in my group of people are and can be categorized as, Handmade, Homemade or just plain Bath and Body Product Makers who sell online. Below are the emails back and forth.
------------------------------------
CLUES that should TIP you OFF that it is a SCAM ... A Scammer is probably involved
#1 They are in a Hurry. Sense of URGENCY, he needs the items shipped immediately to meet some deadline and possible offer to pay extra for quicker service.
#2 Poor syntax, grammar and spelling
#3 Use of all CAPITAL letters, odd spacing between words / sentences, lack of punctuation and run-on sentences, also no capitalization, Example: Doesn’t capitalize “ i ”.
#4 They are not from the US, usually a poor country that no way could afford this kind of purchase, nor could their possible customers.
#5 They dont use your name, like Hello Sally etc. And tend to use the salutation "Regards"
#6 They want to use a Credit Card
#7 They dont know you have a website or where to find it - no idea
#8 They cant find The wholesale pricing or any info they should be able to see very easily just by looking at your site.
#9 They ask for quite a high quantity of a product ,and it may or may not even be something you provide.
#10 Use of gmail, yahoo, hotmail for a business order.
#11 Insists that you use their 'shipper', might even include a link to a crappy made-last-month site for the 'shipping company'.
#12 Insists that you accept an overpayment in any form, check, money order or credit card and send the extra to the 'shipper'
#13 Long explanation of why he needs the product sent to somewhere other than where he is pretending to be located.
#14 Less interest in the product specifications and more interest in you sending the cash via Western Union or money gram.
#15 When you balk at his demands, he insists you send your personal cell phone number for further discussion or says you are wasting his time and to do what he says right now.
#16 Avoidance of your questions, ANSWERING VAGUELY, or telling you that your queries are unimportant, unnecessary, or unprofessional.
*** When in doubt, google the email address, sentences from the scripted email, person's name, and phone number.
Just my experience, thought I would share. this same guy is still trying ... Here are the recent emails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am Thompson Cole, an American but I live and work here in Thailand. I will like to place an order for some items from you, so i need to know if your products are available in stock for immediate order, so kindly reconfirm your website, so i can review again with the products interested in, and do let me know if there will be any special pricing i need to know about. Lastly regarding payment I will be sending you my credit card for the full payment charges for my order, do you accept Visa or Master? I hope to hear from you as soon as possible so we can proceed with the Order. Regards. Thompson Cole.

First Question I have is, what kind of order are you wanting to place ? Retail or Wholesale ? I only sell retail out side of the US. Retail orders are placed using my website. So, you would use your credit card online when you place your order. Products are made to order. That means they take us a little while to make and then we ship no matter what kind of order it is.

Hello, Can you please email me with the list and prices of the available items you have in stock at the moment for immediate ordering. Regards Cole.

I need to know if you are trying to order wholesale or retail ? I only sell over seas RETAIL. I only have soap bars available. How much are you wanting to get ? How many soap bars ? They are $5.00 each.

Hello, I need 300 assorted soap bars, so email me with the cost and let me know if there would be any discount on it, and also note that we are a retail store, so get back to me so i can proceed with the payment and let you know the shipping arrangements. Cole.

I am sorry, I can not help you. I told you I do not supply businesses over seas. I am not about to get caught in a scam. If you do not have enough brains to look at my website and find the pricing you so much desire, then I can tell you are a scammer. I do not have anything available for sale. I am not interested in discussing this any further. I do not wish to do business with you. DO NOT attempt to contact me again.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Email Order Scam Example, Tips, What to Look F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
@ALLSTATE SHIPPING: Glad to hear you found out it was a scam before losing money or product. You could simply tell the scammer that the product he is interested in is out of stock or discontinued and then block his email address.

Now that you have received one scammer attempting to purchase from your company, you will receive more. Your company's address is out there in scammer-land and will be passed around.

Clues that a scammer is involved:
1) Poor syntex, grammer and spelling, especially from orders from businesses or highly educated people.
2) Use of all CAPITAL letters, odd spacing between words/sentences, lack of puncuation and run-on sentences.
3) Use of gmail, yahoo, hotmail for a business order.
4) Insistance that you use their 'shipper', might even include a link to a crappy made-last-month site for the 'shipping company'.
5) Insistance that you accept an overpayment in any form, check, money order or credit card and send the extra to the 'shipper'
6) Long explaination of why he needs the product sent to somewhere other than where he is pretending to be located.
7) Sense of urgency, he needs the items shipped immediately to meet some deadline and possible offer to pay extra for quicker service.
8) Less interest in the product specifications and more interest in you sending the cash via Western Union or moneygram.
9) When you balk at his demands, he insists you send your personal cell phone number for further discussion or says you are wasting his time and to do what he says right now.
10) Avoidance of your questions, answering vaguely, or telling you that your queries are unimportant, uneeded, or unprofessional.

When in doubt, google the email address, sentences from the scripted email, person's name and phone number. Check at this site, the 2 in my siggy line and any other scam-warning-fraud-watching sites you can find.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Next time please hit the quote button and then expound if you are using something already posted by another user.

Thanks!

Soapboxmom

Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Next time please hit the quote button and then expound if you are using something already posted by another user.

Thanks!

Soapboxmom
The original author of most of the above post was Meri Widow who posted it Here.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I found this thread through a google search and I just wanted to bump it because I just had someone like this email me yesterday. I immediately felt like it sounded fishy but I responded, and after receiving her next reply I started searching.

Thank you for posting this and helping people like us to avoid this!

Copying and pasting my exchange for all to see. It's amazing how similar it is to the original poster and this is 2 years later!

-----------------------------------

Hello,

I came across your contact from a search over the web, can you be so kind to let me know if there will be a special rates or discounts on your products, How long does it usually take to get the products ready, and has regards to payment what types of credit card do you accept Visa, Master or AMEX?

I will be glad if you can take your time and answer my questions. I look forward to your response, below here is my address for your record:

Cordially.
Jean Moon.

-------------------------------------
My Reply:
Hello,

We are not currently planning any specials.

We do accept any form of credit card. How long it takes depends on what you order. In general orders are created and shipped within 3 days.

Thank you for inquiring.
--------------------------------------
Hello ,
How are you doing? Thank you for the response. Can i go ahead and order by email?

Description

Herbal Critters
Quantity: 10

Herbal Rewind
Quantity: 50

Herbal Sugar Scrub
4 Fragrances
Quantity: 18

I will like you to get back to me with the total discounted cost and
the weight of the items.
I have a freight forwarder that will pick up the items from your place
of business.
Please note that i will be making the payment with my US issued and
billed credit card account information.
Kind Regards,

OMEGA Trading company
1F-02 Gaysorn
909 Ploenchit Road
Bangkok 10330
Thailand
Tel: 66 (0) 266 1239
E-mail: jeanmoone@sify.com
My next reply will simply be.

Thank you for inquiring but we do not do business with overseas companies.

-----------------------------------

Old 03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

100% scam, you are correct.

There is no buyer.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be "the freight forwarder" saying something like "here is the total cost, we only accept cash sent via Western Union or moneygram".

The next email after that will will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send the money via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "freight forwarder". When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

If you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "yahoo buyer's protection program scam", "fake paypal email scam", "ebay escrow fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.

Replying will only alert the scammers that your email address is "live", doubtful the scammer will even read your response and will simply send the next copy/paste email in his file.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you Meri Widow.

Now I'm mad I responded, but at least this wasn't to my main business email address.
If it does get bad I can delete this one and make another.

I appreciate the info.