report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Is SquareTrade warranty a scam ?

Please let me know what is your experience with them.

Waiting for:
Ipod Video 60GB - www.gadgetcity.com
250$ GC -

Old 10-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Always Right, Seldom Agreed With.

Re: Is SquareTrade warranty a scam ?

Avoid anything ST related.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi there! I'm replying here because as a buyer of items for which I'd considered getting ST coverage, myself, I was skeptical about SquareTrade. However, I did some research of my own and found this Better Business Bureau listing for ST:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-franc...cisco-ca-35878

Under "Additional company management personnel" you'll see the name "Kord Hamilton" as Customer Experience Manager. He seems to have done a lot of good work for eBayers. Check for his replies here: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Buy...10986?&start=0

Apparently ST used to rely on warranties through an outside source known only as "VAC" before late 2006, and their service was wretched. Now they've got better service and often seem to come through with warranties, particular when this manager, Kord Hamilton, steps in. I'd have to say they look good in my eyes, and I'll be buying extended warranties with them to see how things go.

HOWEVER! If you're buying something off of eBay, make sure the seller already offers AT LEAST a 60-day warranty already on an electronic item, or else that's just a bad seller to begin with, and ST probably won't help you out if there are problems before the 61st day, when their warranties actually start.

Hope this helped!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Dear Rafdez,

Like Yunie mentioned above, SquareTrade no longer uses VAC's services. We strive extremely hard to keep customer satisfaction at the core of our business. We are well known for our great service and are an award winning business. Besides the A+ rating from the BBB as mentioned by Yunie, SquareTrade has consistently received 5 star reviews for its services. You can have a look at our 5-star reviews here:

Google 4.9/5 : http://www.google.com/products/selle...quaretrade.com

Reseller Rating 9.94/10: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SquareTrade

Epinions 4.5/5: http://www1.epinions.com/pr-Online_S...quareTrade_Inc

You can also view what news organisations have to say about in the "In The News" section on our website: http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/about-us-overview

I hope this helps answer your questions. Should you have more question, please do email me at priyahelps(at)squaretrade.com and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks,
Priya Shah
SquareTrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafez View Post
Please let me know what is your experience with them.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I am new at Scam.com

No, but their choice of service/repair facility is a JOKE!

Unfortunately, for as much as SquareTrade states they care about addressing their customer's problems and preservation of their BBB A+ rating, they also choose as their repair & service facility vendor, a company called Encompass Service Solutions, who happens to have an F-rating under their Parts division for computer repairs.

I cannot see how VAC could have offered anything worse in the way of service than SquareTrade's current vendor, Encompass Service Solutions provides, or doesn't at all... as my experience has shown. I should have and could have repaired my laptop myself with far less frustration, delays and problems.

QUESTION: How can a company with a BBB rating of A+ go to an F?

Answer: Choose a vendor who lacks professionalism, proper work ethics and good customer service, happens to have an F-rating on BBB, and really doesn't care what anyone thinks of them -- even though they're supposed to be acting as an extension of SquareTrade as their service/repair provider/vendor.

Encompass appears unwilling to repair my Dell laptop properly, even after the appropriate part was identified in advance by me with Dell and provided to SquareTrade at least twice and Encompass three times verbally and another in writing on the Encompass Notebook Repair Instructions form.

I received by Dell laptop back quickly from Encompass, but all the technician did was probably find the worn out spring for my left touchpad button and put it back in, which Dell has already said is an ineffective repair, because the spring will just slip back out again... quickly. The only suitable repair is replacing Dell part #NW686, which was shared multiple times with everyone at both companies, SquareTrade and Encompass.

If my laptop comes back without the proper repair, outside the 5-day repair timeframe, I'll be asking SquareTrade for my $599 back for my laptop or complete refund of any and all warranties with SquareTrade. When I can purchase this part myself in A-grade for $39, and B-grade for $17-$29, replacement, Encompass has spent more than that having my laptop shipped back and forth a second time!

Come on guys, hire companies who actually know what they're doing, and who won't DAMAGE and DESTROY your (what should be) valuable reputation.

Shame on you, SquareTrade!

(I hope you read this, Kord!)

Last edited by Winblad : 02-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I've purchased at least a half dozen warranties with ST. I had to file my first claim a few weeks ago when my Blackberry smartphone camera/camcorder quit working. I followed their instructions and sent it to their repair center. I was contacted a few days later by a guy named 'Joe' from ST who informed me that my phone had sustained water damage and therefore was not covered under the ST warranty policy. I politely explained to him that my phone was in immaculate condition and had never been wet in any way, shape or form. He did not waver. I asked for proof and he stated that the repair site had taken a pic of my memory board that he would forward on to me. He offered to cancel my warranty and send me a refund. I asked him to cancel ALL my warranties and send me a refund. This has not happened, although he did cancel the warranty on my phone and sent me a refund through PayPal. During the course of the conversation with Joe, I asked him to send my Blackberry back to me and he assured me it would be done. This was 10 days ago but as of yet, no phone. When I looked at the pic that the service center sent verifying the water damage, it clearly showed corrosion on the memory module. The problem with this is that my phone was working perfectly (minus the camera/camcorder issue) when I mailed it off to them. I'm extremely curious as to whether it will work the same when it is returned to me. Personally, I'm convinced that the pic they sent me was not one of MY phone. The simple matter of getting my phone back and testing it will confirm this. I see a call to my local TV station troubleshooter in the horizon.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello GuitarRebel,

My name is Kord Hamilton (SquareTradeKord) and I am the Customer Experience Manager at SquareTrade.

I'm very sorry for any upset that this issue has caused you.

I want you to know that we appreciate you as a customer and want you to feel confident that your claim has been managed with fairness and professionalism.

I'll be following up with you directly by telephone this afternoon to ensure I fully understand your concerns. Iím hopeful that together we can arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Regards,

Kord (SquareTradeKord)
Kordhelps@squaretrade.com

Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Followup: I spoke with with Kord from SQ and I also received my phone back. First off, Kord was about the best Customer Service agent I've ever dealt with.....in my life! We spent 15-20 minutes on the phone, as he made some recommendations and we discussed alternatives. He said his goal was my satisfaction and as cynical as I am, I believe him, especially when I received my cellphone back and it still worked just the way it did before I sent it. It turns out SQ was right after all. I owe them a apology. It was one of those fluke things that happens sometimes. In retrospect, the fact that SQ refunded my warranty and also had Kord following up meant, at least to me, that SQ is serious about their customer service. I will not only keep my current warranties with them, but I will purchase additional ones as needed.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winblad View Post
No, but their choice of service/repair facility is a JOKE!
Ok now this has me worried. I have bought over 10 ST warranties over the last 3 to 4 years. The last was on my Asus Gaming laptop. Now I have had claims for a couple of small items, routers, headphones, etc, and ST has always came through BUT the horror stories I'm hearing about their service companies destroying laptops is scaring me to the point I'm afraid to send my laptop in for service. (Its been GSOD lately and freezing.) The fact ST hasn't acknowledged your post about the the service company they use also worries me. This wasn't the first post I've seen like this. It seems everyone is happy with ST until you get into Laptops.

What is up? Is my laptop going to be safe if I send it in or was it best to go with Best Buy's warranties instead?

Last edited by Synergi : 06-05-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Newbie Member

It's not necessarly a scam but I do agree that a lot of severe complaints are present.But then again that's the same with most warranty companies wether they deal with Ebay or multibillion dollar corporations.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theconomist View Post
It's not necessarly a scam but I do agree that a lot of severe complaints are present.But then again that's the same with most warranty companies wether they deal with Ebay or multibillion dollar corporations.
This is true, but what worries me is the glaring issues seems to be with PC/Laptops. I take very good care of my laptop and I want it returned repaired. Because I had such great service with ST is what pushed me to not even research how they handle laptops so this really has me worried on what to do about my own laptop.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Giving this thread a bit of a bump for more replys. I phoned up squaretrade about 4 weeks ago and, in fairness, the employee on the end of the phone was very helpful and after some questions I was informed I'd be getting a refund onto my debit card once I sent my broken camera in.

This was great until I got an email a few days later telling me my item had passed inspection and I'd be refunded to my amazon account. This was strange since I hadn't sent my camera away and had asked for a refund onto my card!

I've emailed 3 times now, detailing to them exactly what had happened and asking whether I was safe to send my camera back with the claim reference number included in the envelope as my claim appeared to have been mixed up with someone elses. Received 1 reply telling me to phone in, despite the fact the question I was asking was described clearly and was also very easily answered by email.

I work 5 nightshifts in a row with 2 days off and then repeat so the last thing I was to do on my days off is piss about on a phone listening to an engaged tone for however long while waiting to talk to someone, but I will be doing that later today or tomorrow and then updating.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Yes, I believe they are a rip off because I cancel my warranty with them and been told by several representatives that I will be issued a refund in the form of a check- I closed my bank card. That was over a week ago, and I been calling to see why I haven't received my check as promised. Now, I'm getting the run around with this company about my money. They stole my money and now I want it back! I sent emails, and messages to Korad Hamilton about my refund and he haven't respond to any of my messages.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I was thinking of buying a SquareTrade warranty on a item but, if this is the way they do business I'll forget about it. You use a warranty when you have a problem. Using a warranty should not be a problem. Especially if you have to pay extra for it. These warranty s are basically an insurance policy. What would you do if your car or home insurance acted like this?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I am new at Scam.com

ST is a scam/fraud.

I do not have any experience with ST, and I was here to learn about them as I was planning to buy the warranty. I will not... not just because the comments here.

BUT

If you check the links in the above post from PriyaST (apparently a rep of ST) of sites about reviews on ST "customer" or "reseller" reviews, ALL the positive reviews are posted by new members who enroll on the day of the post and in the entire history/timeline post just the one review - about ST. I suppose the only hardworking employee at ST is the one who creates lots of user accounts on these sites and posts good reviews (you thought no one will catch this??) Even in this thread above someone claimed Kord satisfactorily reviewed his issues. Those posts too by a new member and just the posts here. Isn't this fraudulent practice?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Hmmm. Must depend on who handles the warranty claims. I bought a cell phone for my son on Ebay and purchased the Squretrade warranty with it. Within a couple weeks the phone died. I called ST and sent the phone in. After they received it they confirmed it was dead and that they couldn't replace it, being an ebay item, they refunded my purchase price.

Quick, simple and no hassles.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I would assure you that Square Trade is a scam of the highest level. Nowhere in their literature do they warn you that they can cancel a claim simply because something happened to the device in the 1st 60 days. Only after you've filed a claim will they do that. I anticipated the same response I had with T-Mobile where you filed the claim and got the phone without hassle. Then, I recalled that back in 2007, we tried to file a claim on another phone and they promptly cancelled the policy and refunded the policy money. They are GARBAGE because they dangle coverage in front of you only to cancel policy if you file a claim. Avoid them like the plaque. Blissfully, I can file on my home owners policy. I will spend the rest of night adding similar comments on any rating sites for Square Trade.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Of course, it is fraudulent, but so is cancelling a policy after someone files a claim to avoid paying on it.