report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Western Union Scam!

I get this question about 100 times a day. If someone wants you pay them Western Union; DO NOT DO IT! Western is very popular by scammers. There is no way you can get your money back once it is picked up.

No personal links allowed please

Last edited by katiescorner : 09-09-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Re: Western Union Scam!

moneygram is popular with scammmers also.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

that will be my next article, that and T/T.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Ukraine Private Investigator

Scammers like not only Western union but any system which helps them to get money, even bank wire transfer. :)

When you go to Western union office to send money you'll be offered 2 ways how to send money:

Way # 1. Do not fill the form in full but fill only "secret word" like "password". This way to pick up your money scammer needs "secret word" and 10 digits western union control number. This way you simply send money to person and you even do not know real name, address, residence of this person.

2. Way # 2. Fill full name of receiver, his residential address, country. This way receiver will need to show his passport in bank with resdential address to pick up your money. In this case you get real information about the person who gets your money. Even if you are scammed you know who scammed you.

Scammers like way #1 and avoid way #2. They do not want to be discovered because scammed people will be complying and earlier or later the police can knock their door. If you use Western Union in a correct way you'll reduce scam risk.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Newbie Member

Western Union is “trackable”, but not for the situation you’re talking about. Besides, what exactly would Western Union do? Pay you back? The money is already in the thief’s hands. You want them to play police and track the guy down and ask for the money back? It don’t work that way.
The same thing would have happened if you sent cash. Even a check, once it’s cashed and cleared, cannot be retrieved by your bank.

Chalk it up to a life’s lesson – if it’s too good to be true, read the fine print and pay with a credit card.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by investigator-ukraine.com View Post
Scammers like not only Western union but any system which helps them to get money, even bank wire transfer. :)

When you go to Western union office to send money you'll be offered 2 ways how to send money:

Way # 1. Do not fill the form in full but fill only "secret word" like "password". This way to pick up your money scammer needs "secret word" and 10 digits western union control number. This way you simply send money to person and you even do not know real name, address, residence of this person.

2. Way # 2. Fill full name of receiver, his residential address, country. This way receiver will need to show his passport in bank with resdential address to pick up your money. In this case you get real information about the person who gets your money. Even if you are scammed you know who scammed you.

Scammers like way #1 and avoid way #2. They do not want to be discovered because scammed people will be complying and earlier or later the police can knock their door. If you use Western Union in a correct way you'll reduce scam risk.
scammers are infamous for using fake ID to pick up western union transfers, so many can and do use option number 2.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Quote:
As mumei101 mention, fake IDs are also popular with scammers and the fake ID does not need to be realistic, in some places any unrealistic photoshopped ID will work. Western Union is not always located in a bank, it could also be a free standing building or part of another shop. As with any business, you have good employees that will verify the information and crappy employees that don't care and will give out the money to anyone with any kind of vague ID.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Western Union own safety measures don't work

Facebook is full of them.

If you have an iPhone4, you know the advertised price in Apple only works for ATT customers, and if you keep 2 yrs of billing with them. Otherwise (phones you could re-sell) is not below $499 BLOCKED.
They advertise iPhone4 by $400 as if there was a factory selling them cheaper below the counter and Apple was just a high priced point of sale.

Anyway, they have offered me to send the phone just by me sending them a copy of the receipt showing the money sent to ANY name in the UK.
That means… that they can either use that info to impersonate me and change the receiver's name, or to get a fake ID and cash the money.

I wonder what would happen if I send the money myself, and sue western union for giving the money someone else.

Also, how do they bypass the password? (I offered one of them to use their real name (which we know is not) but setting up a password which I'd give once I (theorically) receive the phone, and they accepted!

Last edited by sergiozambrano : 11-10-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Re: Western Union own safety measures don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiozambrano View Post
Anyway, they have offered me to send the phone just by me sending them a copy of the receipt showing the money sent to ANY name in the UK.
That means… that they can either use that info to impersonate me and change the receiver's name, or to get a fake ID and cash the money.
No need to impersonate anyone or even bother with a fake ID as Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if I send the money myself, and sue western union for giving the money someone else.
As Western Union's policy says to never send money to someone you don't know personally and to never use their service to pay for goods, your lawsuit would not get very far.

Quote:
Also, how do they bypass the password? (I offered one of them to use their real name (which we know is not) but setting up a password which I'd give once I (theorically) receive the phone, and they accepted!
I don't know what you mean by "password", all anyone needs is the 10 digit MTCN# and question/answer. In fact, in some places all the scammer needs is the MTCN# as long as he pays the "fee" to the clerk for "forgetting" the question/answer. There is no "password" or security with Western Union or moneygram, they are just like putting cash in an envelope and mailing it to some stranger.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Scammers are not unknown by Western Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
s Western Union's policy says to never send money to someone you don't know personally and to never use their service to pay for goods, your lawsuit would not get very far.
What part of that policy considers myself as "somebody I don't know"?…*and what document did I sign stating it was for goods?

Quote:
There is no "password" or security with Western Union
Whatever you set and the receiver needs to answer. Password, passphrase, passsentence… excuse for my english, teacher.

Quote:
as long as he pays the "fee" to the clerk for "forgetting" the question/answer
FUCK!! I wonder how much profit WU rised by adding that "hole"-cof, I mean waiver for FORGETTING THE QUESTION/ANSWER!!! ???? WHAAATTT!!

Is that disclaimer close to the sentence in which the question/answer tries to give you a sense of security?
Just w-o-w. With that news you just answered how much western union cares about your money.

Basically, scammers don't even need to get you sending money for goods. They just need to intercept the info between you and your relative overseas, at some point.

I understand now who manages the hundred of scammers on Facebook. All of them are paid by the same guy, filling up templates. I'm a webmaster and I found out they share a lot of similarities (font, hosting, free domains, methodology… etc.) and some greedy line workers just forgot to fill up the xxx@xxx.com template, showing so in the final ad.

Same way New York Time's fake newspaper subscription was pulling money from my credit card, using the same transaction number (electronic permit number gotten at a gas station known by leaking cc #s, for $1) recurrently every month, while the "shipping department" didn't even had the fake address in their system…
There is an internal organization, trying to make it look external, taking your money, through the holes themselves created.

Stop looking for the scammers overseas. Break into WU offices and find who's lobbing to keep holes in the policies open.

Last edited by sergiozambrano : 11-10-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Whatever you set and the receiver needs to answer. Password, passphrase, passsentence
That would be the "question/answer". A sender is suppose to supply a simple question and answer so the clerk can verify the receiver is the correct recipient. Something like "colour of sky?", "blue" or "dog's name?", "Fido". It is suppose to take the place of the ID check, in cases where the receiver has lost or doesn't have an ID card.

Quote:
Quote:
as long as he pays the "fee" to the clerk for "forgetting" the question/answer
FUCK!! I wonder how much profit WU rised by adding that "hole"-cof, I mean waiver for FORGETTING THE QUESTION/ANSWER!!! ???? WHAAATTT
Western Union didn't add that fee, what I was trying to say politely is that the clerk himself will charge a percentage of the money sent to overlook the fact that the receiver only has the MTCN#. As in this is a personal fee not a company fee.

Quote:
Basically, scammers don't even need to get you sending money for goods. They just need to intercept the info between you and your relative overseas, at some point
Yes, happens all too often.

Quote:
With that news you just answered how much western union cares about your money.
Western Union started out with a good idea, sending support money to relatives. Some relatives might need the money due to being robbed on vacation and now don't have cash or ID to get back home, others send the money to support family in another country. Unfortunately, it has become a scammer's lifeline, collecting cash completely anonymously and WU does little to even warn senders, and almost nothing to stop scammers from using their services. All rules, guidelines and safeguards are meaningless if the clerk disregards them and no one enforces them.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quick Question Guys?
If Your Buying Something And For Safty Reason You Change The Receiver Name And U Sent Them Your Mtcn Number Can They Still Steal The Money???????/

Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

yes, they will steal the money!

western union doesn't care what name you put on it. as soon as you tell the crook the transaction number and the amount, your money is gone.

hurry, try to cancel it!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey29 View Post
Quick Question Guys?
If Your Buying Something And For Safty Reason You Change The Receiver Name And U Sent Them Your Mtcn Number Can They Still Steal The Money???????/
Yes, the scammer CAN and WILL still steal you money. There is NO safety when sending cash via Western Union or moneygram. As pointed out earlier, in some places, only the MTCN# is needed, not the sender's name, not the receiver's name, not the test question/answer. Once you send that 10 digit money transfer control number, your money is GONE forever, picked up by someone somewhere.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i guess i have 2 questions here
1) so if i send money with a secret password the receiver can still get the money without it no troubles?
2) if i dont give the secret password to the receiver and save a chat of the reveiver accepting that i dont give him the password until i have the parcel so he cant get the money cant i show that to western union and say WTF!!!!!!!! give me my money back you %&$#'s ?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workspacetogo View Post
i guess i have 2 questions here
1) so if i send money with a secret password the receiver can still get the money without it no troubles?
YES, the receiver can just walk into any place with a Western Union counter and pick up the cash, no ID needed, no questions asked.

Quote:
2) if i dont give the secret password to the receiver and save a chat of the reveiver accepting that i dont give him the password until i have the parcel so he cant get the money cant i show that to western union and say WTF!!!!!!!! give me my money back you %&$#'s ?
In that scenerio, the scammer can STILL pick up the cash, he just gives his favorite clerk a "personal fee", the names on the form and the scammer is handed the cash. The clerk inputs into the computer that the scammer DID know the secret password. After all, the clerk KNOWS what the password is, once he looks up the transaction.

There is NO refund policy with Western Union or moneygram. Does not matter under if you have notarized proof, statements, emails, chat logs, recorded phone calls, court documents and the entire local law enforcement and court system behind you, you will NEVER, EVER get a refund from either company.

It took the combined justice departments of the United States AND Canada to even attempt to get Moneygram to even think about considering having victims jump through hoops, fill out paperwork in the hopes they might get 10 cents on the dollar back for certain transactions done at only certain counters during a very specific time period.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/moneygram.shtm