report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Charity Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Children International - Child Sponsorship?

I would like to donate $$ to sponsor a child. Does anyone know anything about Children International and whether or not it is a legit organization?

I don't want to give my credit card # out to anyone and find out it isn't even a real child I am helping.

Does anyone know about Christian Childrens Fund either? The one with the commercials on tv. I have heard that one is a scam but I have heard Children International is not.

Any feedback or info on other LEGIT organizations I can donate to to sponsor a child would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Jeff Dearman
Winchester, MA

PS-
but specifically info on Children International. There's a girl from Colombia I would like to sponsor, but want to make sure its real and legitimate.
thanks

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Children International - Child Sponsorship?

Children International looks pretty legit. Here's their BBB report: http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/n...s-city-mo-1815

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Children International is a legit charity with operations in 11 countries including United states of America. So is DialogueDirect, which raises money for Children International through face to face (street) fundrasing. Dialogue Direct Dialogue Direct !

Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearman77 View Post
I would like to donate $$ to sponsor a child. Does anyone know anything about Children International and whether or not it is a legit organization?

I don't want to give my credit card # out to anyone and find out it isn't even a real child I am helping.

Does anyone know about Christian Childrens Fund either? The one with the commercials on tv. I have heard that one is a scam but I have heard Children International is not.

Any feedback or info on other LEGIT organizations I can donate to to sponsor a child would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Jeff Dearman
Winchester, MA

PS-
but specifically info on Children International. There's a girl from Colombia I would like to sponsor, but want to make sure its real and legitimate.
thanks
God bless you!
It is people like you who make such a valuable difference in their lifetimes to the needy!
I applaud your efforts.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

I think The Smile Train is still in operation.
Go to thesmiletrain.org to donate to help children with cleft lip and palate.
I myself would donate $1,000 (the cost of 2 surgeries).

Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

wrong url sorry here it is
http://www.thesmiletrain.org

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

My husband was persuaded by his buddy to sponsor a child through Children's International. Reviews of charities believe that about $0.80 of every dollar donated actually go towards the children CI claims to support. I have my doubts, however. We recieve solicitations from CI on a monthly basis, asking my husband to send more money in addition to the monthly amount billed to his credit card. We are asked to subsidize Jose's new shoes, celebrate the holiday of the month, birthday, Easter, Christmas, back to school, etc. We also receive letters allegedy written by Jose, however the handwriting and language used is much more that of an adult than a 10 year old and someone else we know receives almost identical letters (actual sentences, handwriting) from their child Juan. Add to that that we live in Boston and once a week, I too am harrassed by fundraisers wearing CI bibs as I try to walk to South Station. They block your path, wave in your face and are downright nasty to the point of being threatening. All this factored together leads my to believe that something is rotten on the parts of Dialogue Direct (the hired gun fundraisers) AND Children's International. Sure, they've both been around

Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Newbie Member

I've been a sponsor for Children International for 14 years, and have had nothing but positive experiences with it. I am currently sponsoring 3 children in 3 different countries. I've never received a request for shoes or back-to-school needs. I do receive requests for Christmas, the child's birthday, and Easter for each child. (The children I sponsor are in predominantly Catholic countries, and these are major holidays.) However, CI provides gifts and support during those occasions whether I send extra money times or not. If I'm not feeling flush, I simply ignore the requests.

Why shouldn't a charity that only asks $22 per month per child ask for more? I'm sure lots of folks respond positively to their requests. If you don't want to, don't. I'm not sure, Kristen, why you doubt that 80 cents per dollar goes to the children because CI makes requests for more money. It seems to me that both things could be true.

If you're harrassed daily by aggressive fundraisers in Boston, why not complain to CI? I don't live in Boston, and have never seen a fundraiser downtown in the major metropolitan area where I live, so I can't speak to that.

Regarding the letters....I receive letters often and write to the children often. The younger children get help from adults or teens with their letters. There are actually teams of folks in each country that help the children write letters to their sponsors. I'm sure they are encouraged to say certain things, like they appreciate my sponsorship, and they hope my family is well. But I've never doubted the veracity of the letters. My children respond to things I say in my letters, and answer questions I've asked. They are clearly not form letters.

By the way, one of my female sponsorees wrote to say she had taken a job as a house cleaner at age 14, which is the norm in many of the CI countries (females generally drop out of school & begin work at that age). CI never asked me to intervene, but I called THEM and asked if I could pay her school tuition to keep her in school, if she and her family wanted her to do that. After about 6 weeks, I received a letter saying I could send $342 to keep her in school another year. I did that for 3 years, and she graduated from high school. I got a letter 3 weeks ago saying that she had just gotten a job in a bookstore. Children International facilitates many success stories, and I believe my sponsored child is one of them.

I just wanted to add my experience to the mix here, since Kristen has a very different take on the organization from mine.

I believe (and charity reviews agree) that the children receive a lot for the $22....medical checkups and treatment, dental care, school supplies and fees, nutrition and cooking information, etc., etc. I'm very pleased with the organization (and I'm picky!), and recommend it highly to anyone wanting to make a real difference in a child's life.

Best regards,
Margaret Brown

Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My worry isn't so much about the legitimacy of any particular organisation, this could easily be checked out, we have the internet,
Charities have overheads and running costs which can eat into your donation so that by the time it gets to the child it's very little. I would check with the prospective charity and get a firm commitment from them as to what their costs are and how much actually gets to the child. I've worked in call centres that raise money for various charities and when I saw how much we (200 people per shift) were paid plus bonuses for extra sales I wondered how much could be left for the actual charity.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Newbie Member

I have been with Children International a couple years now and believe they are on the up and up. I am sponsoring 2 children and receive letters (written by them) 3 or 4 times a year. I also get a new picture of them every year. I have not visited the kids yet, but can if I want to. I live in the US and one of the boys I sponsor lives in the Phillippins and the other one lives in Mexico. This make it kind of hard to visit, but I sure would like to someday.

I would say if you want to sponsor a child this is a good organization to look at.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Newbie Member

Then what you all think about this post ??

A must read

Is Children International a scam ? - Yahoo! Answers - click to read

Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Newbie Member

I post that above because i just requested last night info myself for 4 little ones needing help and the main one trying to get her exact as her mom passed away with cancer and they couldnt tell me info. Was more like just wanting you to join and excuses then a credit card. But said i would pay when i got the paperwork and seen what it was all about then become a sponc maybe.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Newbie Member

Everything tuliprose said is correct. Children International is a legitimate charity, they've been around longer than all of us have been alive and they are highly rated by both the better business bureau and charity navigator.

The letters, like tuliprose touched on, ARE real. Of course the children get assistance with writing them. In most of the countries where Children International works English is not spoken and a large portion of the population is illiterate (34% in India). What kind of letter are you expecting to get from an illiterate non-english speaking child? Cut them some slack.

As for the visits. Children International welcomes sponsors visiting their kids, so I dont understand the insinuations that the children arent really in the program or that the programs arent legit.

Regarding DialogueDirect. Dialogue Direct is also highly rated by the BBB. They are simply a fundraising company that works on behalf of non-profits. If you are bothered by their presence on the streets I would urge you to do some soul searching. Those face to face fundraisers (just like GreenPeace and Save the Children) are harmless, all they do is passionately work for the cause. Say hello, no thank you and go about your day..they dont bite. I've never been yelled at or harassed by a DialogueDirect fundraiser or any fundraiser for that matter.

Do your research. Dont believe everything you read on the internet, and in the end if you dont believe in the charity then dont donate to them, but dont trash them on the internet.

Last edited by Charitable1 : 06-11-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Yes I know, one of the Children International non-profit organization, It helps to fight poverty and needy children through child sponsorship. The motto of there workers is save the children's from worldwide. Address of Child Sponsorship is
Children International, 2000 East Red Bridge Road , P.O. Box 219055, Kansas City, MO 64121.

Last edited by samaste.march : 06-16-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Newbie Member

Did anybody read my posts above [ the one mainly with the link] and have any input in on it ??

Doesnt seem right nor good at all. And i have done my researching. Online and off.

Please as i would love some insight on that. Due to i haven't started sending anything yet due to that and want to begin with a legit good company and sponsoring a few children. But ones that actually need it as the ones i received from there info section didnt seem they really need it as much as a lot of others. So i want to help some kids that actually need it alot.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Newbie Member

I read both of your posts. In the first you refer to a post elsewhere on the net in which a man is complaining about letters his wife and mother got from CI sponsored children that didn't mention their previous visits and gifts.

I assume the children already said thank you when the wife and mother visited. 2 months later, the children wrote letters, and maybe the interpretor didn't know about the visits and the children (young?) didn't mention it?? Who knows. Many problems can occur with interpretors and communications between countries.

When I see a complaint like that from a family member who isn't directly involved with the sponsorship, I wonder about his motives in posting a complaint like that on scam.com. Again, who knows or cares?

Your second post vaguely referred to 4 children who'd lost their mother to cancer, or one of them did, or something like that, it was difficult for me to comprehend. And then you asked somebody about it, and didn't get info, and they wanted a credit card, an you said you'd look at the paper work when you got it. Then you might be a sponc....(sponsor?)

I have no idea if you were talking about CI. My experience with them is that they do not give specific info about children's histories until you sponsor them. They also don't usually advertise that 4 children need help at once. Quite frankly, I didn't understand the post. But I did read it.

You mention that you've done your research online and off. What research? Where? What did you find?

I've researched CI throught the BBB, and through Charity Navigator, an impartial charity assessor, and both give high marks to CI.

I have 3 friends/family members have sponsored children through CI for years and are very happy with them. That is my research online and off.

I also don't understand your most recent assertion that according to "there info" (again, are you referring to Children International?) these children don't need help as much as some. The families chosen for CI's program generally have $100 -$300 per month income for several family members. One of the children I sponsor uses the field next to her home for a latrine. Another has 8 family members sharing one large multi-use room for cooking, sleeping, living. I sent some extra money one month, and CI bought them their first chest of drawers. What "info" are you talking about?

Again, I have 14 years of positive experiences with CI, and recommend them highly.

Please don't argue against a legitimate charity with a vague paragraph or two that many people will read.

Thanks,
Margaret Brown

Last edited by tuliprose : 07-19-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I don't know about Children International, but I had an unpleasant encounter with a Dialogue Direct staffer in Seattle today. He blocked my path several times, told me "I haven't finished talking to you yet" and demanded that I continue listening to what he had to say. This is disgusting behavior and I almost called the police on him. The right to say whatever you want is protected by the First Amendment. The right to detain someone and force them to converse with you is not.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwprod View Post
I don't know about Children International, but I had an unpleasant encounter with a Dialogue Direct staffer in Seattle today. He blocked my path several times, told me "I haven't finished talking to you yet" and demanded that I continue listening to what he had to say. This is disgusting behavior and I almost called the police on him. The right to say whatever you want is protected by the First Amendment. The right to detain someone and force them to converse with you is not.
I'm very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with a DialogueDirect canvasser gwprod. In my experience most canvassers (in general) are pleasant, energetic, positive individuals who advocate passionately for their cause but do so with decorum. If you feel/felt that you were treated rudely you should contact the canvassing organization and make a complaint. I'm sure they do not want that kind of representation on the streets anymore than you do.