report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

financial career agents

Hey I received the following email and wanted to know if it's legit. or if it's a scam. Has anyone else received this email relating to looking for a job:

I am writing to let you know that I recently reviewed your resume on Careerbuilder, and would like to compliment you on your successful background and past successes. I’m not sure of your specific career aspirations; however, I would like the opportunity to discuss with you a career opportunity that I am currently leading a search for that I believe you may find interesting. Please allow me to share some details with you.

Our clients have professional sales positions available within the financial services industry in the Manhattan area. These positions offer extensive training programs focused on helping you to develop your professional financial advisory practice. They are commission sales positions that offer unlimited income potential. The typical experience is that you will make $50k to $60k in commission the first year.

Additionally, you will have opportunities for accelerated advancement into management if that is a track that you desire. Finally, you will have access to outstanding benefits including medical, dental, vision, pension and 401-k plans. On top of all this, it is a career that can offer you independence and flexibility in your work style plus the ability to help others in a significant way.

To tell you a little about us – we work with the largest and most reputable financial services companies in the world including firms such as John Hancock Financial Services, New York Life, Prudential Financial, Northwestern Mutual Financial Network, MassMutual, and more. We use our connections and knowledge of the industry to successfully expose you to a career in personal financial services and advising. We work to provide you with in depth information about the financial services industry as a whole, the in’s and out’s of the various companies in the industry, and the tremendous opportunities that exist in a financial advisor career. Most importantly, we work to match you with the companies that promise to be the best potential fit for you. We are unlike other recruiting companies in that we have existing relationships with these industry leading firms and can move you to interviewing for their career opportunities very quickly. All of this is provided with no commitment from you, financial or otherwise, only that you have a curiosity to explore new opportunities. You can get more information at our website at [link removed by mod].

But enough about us. Obviously, I found a little bit of info about you online through your resume but I’d appreciate an opportunity to fill in the blanks. Please take a moment to respond to this email and let me know a time that would be convenient for you for a brief phone conversation. During this conversation it will allow me to better understand your career goals and aspirations as well as share additional information with you related to the opportunities that we have available and the recruiting processes we employ to help you in your career search. If after this discussion it sounds like an opportunity you would be interested in we can discuss future steps.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by No_Moron_Here : 03-20-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: remove link

Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: financial career agents

hey i got a similar email, i conacted them. They called me once and had a brief 10-15 minutes interview. Said i seemed like a strong canidate, ahvent contace me since then

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I got this too. I call bull**** sioce the type of work I do is not in any way remotely connected to the financial sector. I think the writer of said letter just trolls CareerBuilder.com.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

The guy is talking about a Job where you can make a bunch of commissions.

Commissions are payed after you make a sale, so under this circumstances, he can hire a few dozen people, for 0 costs. He just have costs when you made a sale, so it's profitable for him.

Ask if there are any min, wage plus commissions, and who covers expenses ? And who's covering the intensive courses ?

In my part of the world we have a huge problem with frauds in the job "industry".

They open a fake HR company, all leased, and get into the online registers searching for people with a special profile who are looking for a job.
Then they call you up or send a mail telling you that they have a great job for you, almost 100% guaranteed, They invite you for a interview.

At the interview they tell you that the job is yours IF

yes - IF - you get a course from them for a measly 4k. But as you "already" have the awesome job they offered you, they offer that you can pay in 4 easy payments.

Guess what.

You will PAY the 4k, make the course (maybe the only part worth something) and NEVER get the mentioned Job (what a surprise).

After a few month and several thousand people scammed, they simply close the office and disappear.

They play with people and the tough situation, pushing folks even further into problems and debts.

Please be aware of this, if you think that you are contacted by such a firm, ASK questions about them. Not all is confidential and they have to tell you a little about the job first. And when your job depend on a course from their office, then GET OUT.

I think that those are the worst scumbags out there and I hope that this is not very common in your country.

G.

BREAKING NEWS: Join my Free Make Money Course www.FreeAffiliateMarketingTraining.org

Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I got the same exact email today

Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hey I just want to say that I got that email, I called we did a phone interview and now I am working for Northwestern Mutual.
I dont know maybe I lucked out but it worked for me.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

This is a recruiting firm, that works with other large financial service firms, such as John Hancock, AXA Advisors, Mass Mutual, ect., to help them find qualified candidates to come in and interview for a position as a financial advisor. How do I know this you say? Because I work at the firm. Not a scam in any way, we are a retainer based firm, (which means there is no cost to you, the large companies pick up the cost), that is trying to help others get a great job, possibly. Check us out, www.financialcareeragents.com thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagger21 View Post
This is a recruiting firm, that works with other large financial service firms, such as John Hancock, AXA Advisors, Mass Mutual, ect., to help them find qualified candidates to come in and interview for a position as a financial advisor. How do I know this you say? Because I work at the firm. Not a scam in any way, we are a retainer based firm, (which means there is no cost to you, the large companies pick up the cost), that is trying to help others get a great job, possibly. Check us out, www.financialcareeragents.com thanks.
Houdy Nagger. I'm glad to have someone from the company here to answer some questions.

In his post above bwh1 accurately described the modus operandi of a common type of employment scam. Namely charging people for expensive training with a firm promise that upon successful completion of that training they will have a high paying job. But once the training is completed there is no job to be had. Your website indicates that you offer job training, who pays for that?

And while I have you here, a few more quick questions. I did a search on the Ohio Secretary of States website and found only one buisiness listed with the name FINANCIAL CAREER AGENTS, INC. It's buisness address is listed as:

9378 Mason-Montgomery Road - #424
Mason Ohio 45040

The BBB has a file on them (here) , the BBB gives them a grade of F.

I see a seperate BB listing for FINANCIAL CAREER AGENTS (no INC) (here) with a Cincinatti address, just not the same one that's posted on your website. Do you guys move alot?

It's interesting that the FINANCIAL CAREER AGENTS that the BBB doesn't hate is one not registered to do buisness in the State of Ohio.

Or perhaps you are after all. I fed the website address you gave us in your post into the internet archive to see if any old copies of your website are still available, this ones from January of 07 and it shows your companies contact information as:

Quote:
Financial Career Agents, Inc.
9378 Mason-Montgomery Road, Suite 424
Mason, OH 45040
Why, that's the exact same address as the financial career agents that the BBB gives an F to. You guys do seem to move around alot, and change your names (slightly). Be sure to have someone back at the office update the appropriate paperwork with the Ohio Secretary of State, and the BBB.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM

The domain is also register under a hidden name. Never saw the need for a legit operation to do this. As well as the site is hosted on a Canadian IP. No IPs in America to host it on?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM
I am new at Scam.com

The address you have provided is a PO Box, check it out. We have never moved, our pysical address has always been the same since I have been here over 2 years. The boss, doesn't want mail coming into the office, primarily bills, etc.. As far as the BBB report, as you see, the reason we have an F, is because of a single customer service related issue (a woman failed our assesment test and got mad because we could not help her legally) then the BBB have contacted us to join, which cost money, and we have declined, talk a bout a scam. Here is my advice, if someone tries to charge you money, run for the hills, because their motives are not motivted by helping you get a job, once again, check us out, we may beable to help you find employment as a financial advisor. Thanks. By the way my direct extension is 800-670-0263 X711 Mark.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 AM
I am new at Scam.com

By the way, cincinnati, and Mason are the same city, Mason is a suburb of cincy, which somtimes puts Mason, other times puts cincinnati down. When you do a mapquest, you can put cincy for mason, same results.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I do not know if this company is a scam, but I have to say, at the very least, they are extremely unprofessional. After they contacted me and set up an initial phone interview, the recruiter totally blew it off without letting me know. I rescheduled the call and the recruiter was an hour late in calling me. After the call, he had me fill out an assessment questionnaire and he was supposed to call me in two days regarding the results. Two days came and went with no call. I followed up with an email to the recruiter but got no response. After having me repeatedly schedule the first call after he contacted me and after taking their assessment questionnaire, I thought the least I should get is a short note saying they had nothing for me. If this recruiter is any indication of how the rest of the firm operates, I am shocked that they have any clients. I would hate to be the HR person who has to deal with these guys.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I cannot speak for this recruiting firm "financial career agents"... however, I have been in the financial services industry for 10 years and I know that the big companies are using firms like this to source potential candidates for recruiting. The insurance industry has an aging and declining sales force and they are desperate for new agents. These companies market their products through independent agents. i.e. self employed independent contractors. The problem is that their is a HUGE lack of entrepreneurial flair in the candidate pool today.

In this thread there have been comments made about the big companies represented (Hancock, MassMutual, New York Life), and the "jobs" they offer. These companies do not offer ANY JOBS. A job, by my definition, is when you go to work for XYZ Company, they give you a salary, a bonus structure, a benefit package, possibly even a company car/cell phone, etc. But all of these companies mentioned above are offering an opportunity to go into business for yourself. You have to think of it as buying a franchise. Unfortunately, I think many of them don't make that crystal clear right up front. But, having had some experience on the recruiting side of things in this industry, there is a reason for that as well. They want to get your interest first, then tell you that it is an "independent contractor" position, not an "employee" position. Again, the big problem? Lack of an entrepreneurial flair in the general candidate pool today, as stated before. Everyone wants the guaranteed salary, and very few are willing to take the risk of being straight commission... even though the earning potential is much higher. It's no different than being an independent real estate agent. You don't sell a house, you don't make a dime.

I made $70k my first year in the business, which was $10k more than what I had been making at my prior "corporate job" after being with the company for 10 years. In this industry, I know people that make 7 figure incomes, and I've seen more than my share of people that fail out of the business in their first year... after they have spent their own money for licensing.. (I know of no company that charges for product and sales training.) The cost of getting into the business is in your licensing (Insurance license/Securities license, all of which goes toward third-party study materials, state licensing fees, and FINRA registratiton fees. None of the fees go to the company with which you are affiliating.) There is also insurance you have to carry called Errors & Ommissions Insurance. This is the equivalent to a physician having to carry Professional Liability Insurance. This also comes out of your pocket. Of course, everything you pay our of your pocket is tax deductible as a business expense.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in as I have seen on several threads people complaining about insurance company job scams. If you are dealing with an A+ rated insurance company, they are not scamming you. Sure, different locations will have better leadership than others, but the companies cannot afford to have complaints and class action lawsuits by "scamming" people.

They are what they are... they are providing an avenue to go into business for YOURSELF. With that comes risk, money out of your pocket, and the opportunity to make a great living... or fall flat on your face.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Newbie Member

I think you should ignore such e-mails

Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hey, I did get a genuine offer from them. However, I was offered a specific job and was directed to take an aptitude test. Don't trust it.