report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Retail Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Intelius Background Check

This company will tell you that you can get a comprehensive background check by social security number but they do not give you a comprehensive background check, they just give you a few bits of information (which you probably already know) and then anything else you want to know they want to charge you for every bit of information that they give you even though you have already paid over $100.00 for the information they want you to pay $45.00 extra for each thing before it will come up.
They tell you after you have paid the full amount for a comprehensive check that some states do not allow that and then the company will not give you credit-they keep your hard earned money and then tell you too bad.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Re: Intelius Background Check

Anyone else had this happen? I just googled "intelius" and "scam" and came up with an interesting post over at Amazon.com:

Quote:
They [Infospace] and Intelius mislead visitors, August 1, 2005
Reviewer: W Boudville (US) - See all my reviews

Go to infospace.com in your browser. Pick 'find a person' and type the lastname, firstname and pick a state. Then press 'search' to see results. These are from intelius.com.

There is a scam here. Intelius will return results, for almost any name that you type in. Suppose you make up a random name, like "qddaspiweras, john" and choose AZ. The results page will show a table in the lower part of the page. Often with 3 entries. and the ages given for each supposed person. These are fake. An utter fabrication. You can ascertain this by making up new fake names and redoing the above steps. For example, make up a surname with digits, like "asf3d08ds".

It is true that the results page will say in the top part that "Sorry, no matches were found". But the impression given by the lower part is that indeed, results [real people] have been found.

VERY misleading to the casual visitor. Because if she types in a real name, she has no apriori way of telling if the results are real.

The results page seems designed to induce unwary readers to pay intelius for a search.
Source: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...infospace.com/

Also head over to Rip-off Report.com and see what people say about Intelius. It's probably always best to do an internet search first before paying money.

Last edited by zirchowvii : 03-17-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 PM
I am new at Scam.com

um, dude, the background report costs $50, and includes most of the info you could get on a name, so don't go paying extra. i've been offered credit for any report i've, justifiably, felt unhappy with.

that said, you should read up on anything before you make a purchase over the internet. it's dangerous enough without being stupid about it. with enough reading, it becomes perfectly clear what the limitations of their information are. public records are notoriously spotty.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I've used them without any problems. In fact, once they never even billed my card even though I got the background report....but shhhhhh! Don't tell them:)

Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I ran a background check on myself to see what would come up and it was total crap. It gave me a 'property report' and 'sex offender list' on an address I lived at about 10 years ago (I could buy a report on my current address for another $15). Also listed a slew of criminal records and bankruptcy filings for people with the same name as me but different age/location, etc. Even though I got the report by my SSN

If the person you are checking into has a name that is the least bit common then this report is going to be totally worthless. I would not advise anyone wasting their money on this.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I am new at Scam.com

It turns out that the facts are in and there is no question that Intelius is a scam. What they do is outright theft from consumers. For all of the details, see the excellent blog at: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/29...nue-is-a-scam/

Many people on blogs and comments have said they felt that these guys at Intelius deserve to be in jail. Read the TechCrunch story and the various comments and decide for yourself. There are also numerous web site where consumers have complained about these guys.

Intelius claims to offer background checks and public information. Itís pretty clear that all they do is to scrape public data and repackage and sell. All by itself, that is a legitimate service, but for them that is just a vehicle for a scam. All consumers should be pleased that TechCrunch did a background check on them, and found what a fraud they were,

By the way, there are 100's of honest and ethical background check firm around that do a great job.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Hey Folks:

Here is what you need to know about any online background investigations check.

There are a ton of companies out there that conduct online background checks and other searches for a fee.

They are probably 80%-85% accurate with what they report back, in some catagories, but you absolutely have to verify any derogatory info they report back by other means.

If they tell you a person has a criminal record and you are making a hiring decision on that report you had best have someone go the courthouse where the prosecution occurred and get a certified copy of the case file to make sure it is the same person and to make sure they reported the conviction right, if they even reported one.

You must try to verify everything they report to you by a second source if possible.

The main advantage to them is that sometimes they will come up with an arrest or address in a state or county you had no idea they had ever been in or lived in. It gives you a good idea where to go looking for stuff.

ALso it may give you the names of companies they owned or were part of.

It is a good "first strike" when doing a background and using several different data bases can give you info you would otherwise never know, but you still have to double check it to ensure it is the same person.

This info is taken from public court records, magazine subscritions, phone records, utility bills, telephone books and just about any other source of printed or stored information.

Not only does your name get put on mailing lists without your knowledge but quite a few companies sell your info to the people who manage and develop these so called internet sleuths.

Be careful out there. Trust but verify when you can.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Intelius is a scam in its entirety. It's adverts claim to provide "free" information, yet all one gets is questionable/misleading identities and locations with a "cost" gain the real information one sought to begin with.

They seem to be "sucking up" the whole personal information market like a bunch of rats, and in doing so obstructing access to the smaller, more honest providers.

Disgusting. I wish someone would put them out of business!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by swibirun View Post
I've used them without any problems. In fact, once they never even billed my card even though I got the background report....but shhhhhh! Don't tell them:)
Oh!!! You are very lucky,swibirum. Really these type of services are helping a lot to find background and credit regarding any company in the market. The interface of the intelius is user friendly and getting to what you want is quick and easy.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I am new at Scam.com

terah14, I also totally agree with you. These type of services will really very help as well as also make the people task that much easy so that people can easily find about their queries and can get the quick result.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Sorry, plants from company in question, but the information is not helpful to anyone because it is WRONG!

It is lumps everyone together with the same name and makes false connections, possibly smearing people who have no criminal records, debt problems, etc. I hope no employer is foolish enough to use this to screen potential interviewees, but it bothers me because some people are going to assume that a big company has a decent process in place and will use it. I hope legal action is taken before this causes real problems for people, not to mention the customers ripped off paying for open public records. They'd do a better job themselves for a fraction of the cost!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just looked at what information Intelius has on me. The last listed address thay have is from 1994 and I don't even know 4 of the 6 possible relatives. I also never lived at most of the addresses shown.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ladies and Gents,

It is really important to clarify what Intelius and other online background check outfits are actually selling online.

I am a licensed private detective with 20 years experience doing background checks. Most background check websites are selling INSTANT DATABASE information, which is publicly available information which is aggregated to provide instant reports. Anytime you buy an INSTANT database product, it is not going to be up to date, accurate info. This is why FEDERAL LAW (FCRA) prohibits employers from using instant database searches for employment decisions.

When doing a background check on someone or a company, the only way to get accurate, up to date info is to go to the "horse's mouth"- the courts or the government agency that generates those records. If you are looking for a criminal record, you have to check the courts. If you are looking for bankruptcies you go to the federal bankruptcy court. If you are looking for a company registration, you check the state agency that registers corporations in that state.

Anytime a website claims they can get this information INSTANTLY, then it is usually a scam! How can they go to the courthouse and check records instantly? Even if a particular court makes their records available online (which most don't, and those that do are less accurate than in-person searches) if they are providing the result INSTANTLY then what you are likely getting is public record information that the company is buying on a monthly, bi-monthly or even yearly basis, and making it available instantly to you. This means that if what you are buying is INSTANT database records, then there in NO WAY the info will be up to date!

Bottom line is, anytime you are offered something instantly, that should be your first red flag. Buyer beware! Real investigators send people to the courthouse to check records, which usually takes a couple of days.

Last edited by Anthony Rizzo : 08-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RollingStoned View Post
I ran a background check on myself to see what would come up and it was total crap. It gave me a 'property report' and 'sex offender list' on an address I lived at about 10 years ago (I could buy a report on my current address for another $15). Also listed a slew of criminal records and bankruptcy filings for people with the same name as me but different age/location, etc. Even though I got the report by my SSN

If the person you are checking into has a name that is the least bit common then this report is going to be totally worthless. I would not advise anyone wasting their money on this.
Really? well , you posted this a long time ago but if you bring it to their attention they legally have to take it down within 30 days or something upon your request. (if its a lie) unless you happened to read a report about someone with the same name as you.

I think these services try to do their best - I think their ways of getting data are cheap and prone to errors.

I bookmarked this a while back , it gives instructions on taking down personal info from these kinds of websites.
http://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldKno..._from_the_web/

This thread was posted a long time ago and I hope this kind of industry has improved since then.