report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Personal Assistant Scam?

I have found that most of the scams are coming out of Africa or the UK.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

@ lujones06
Thanks for posting up that email from a "cash the fake check" type scammer.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Quote:
I have found that most of the scams are coming out of Africa or the UK.
Scams are world-wide and come from every country on the globe. However, some are more common in certain regions. "Webcam girls" are common in Southeast Asia, "pay cash for visas, immigration fees" are common in Canada and the UK, "cash the fake check" is more common in the US and Western Africa, "pay for non-existent goods" is common from China and the "pay the fee for an interview" type scam are gaining ground in India and countries close to India. That being said, every type of scam can be found in every country.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I would be very hesitant of anyone that would hire me without talking to me. There are 1000's of people out of work now why would she email a total stranger.
I just recieved an email similiar to yours today. I was not looking for a job and do not have a resume on the internet.

Have your heard of "mosaic identity theft"? It is when a person takes a little information from a bunch of people and puts it together as one person. It is becoming more and more common.
If you think you want more information about this ask her more questions.
1. phone number
2. place of busines
3.Better Bussines Bureau
You will discover the more questions you ask that eventually she will stop contacting you. Why? because it is a scam!

Good Luck! Your instinct had redflags come up. Trust that!.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi. I have spent loads of time on-line looking for 'at home/virtual assistant' jobs. I am a bit wary of anyone who uses shocking English grammar and punctuation. Good luck with looking for work, it seems to be impossible to find!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi everyone,

I applied for a job on a online job site and got a reply from a Richard Diego, stating that he owned a furniture company below is his email

Hello Trustee PA,

My name is Richard Diego, originally from Brazil, but I have spent most of my life in United Kingdom, Finland and United States. I'm into furniture business and I have been pretty successful in all my investment I invest my finances but I have decided to employ a talented hard working candidate as my PA for a full time job here in the UK to be my eyes watching my UK clients while I am away. I have offices in Finland, US and before the end of the year we will be launching new offices in France and Philippines. We deal with all kinds of office furnitureís such as reception room furnitures,meeting rooms furnitures,office storage furnitures,office desking furniture e.t.c.

My everyday schedules are always occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy personal admin assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities. However I just left UK last week and Iím in the United States to monitor a new furniture store warehouse project under construction and I'll also be spending another 2 weeks in Paris France from February 4th to monitor the new furniture store warehouse before returning to the United Kingdom by February 18th.

Congratulations on your PA application that was received and approved by our HR office section. I believe you are already aware of the opening up of a new store in Paris France and Philippines, hence these two new stores will be your primary assignments and you will be provided with the paper work as its ready for preparation with all required details. It is my pleasure to inform you that work is starting in earnest this week. Your basic salary will be £1520 Bi-Weekly which equals to £760 per week;£36k-£40k/yearly;£19/hr;8hrs/day;Monday-Friday (5 DAYS).

Do take note that this position is not an office based for now until I arrive by Feb 18th because of my frequent travels and tight schedules. The first 1 month will be a full time work from home office station and the flexibility means that there will be busy weeks than others. Afterwards all home office equipments bought would be moved by a mover to your office upon my arrival. If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra time while you get busy doing some other important assignment. As I have said, I do have some paperwork and a number of unattended documents which you can immediately assist me with this week. Please be inform that this job is a direct email employment job based on your received CV and not an interview job but I could give you a phone call whenever I am free to handle a phone.

We don't want to inconvenient your finances by asking you to purchase the needed office equipment yourself or a charge back to the company's account to create your home office work station. So it's our responsibility to make provision for the funds to purchase the items for you. We are responsible to provide most of the office equipments so we don't depend on your personal office equipments for your home use. Please send your full name, full address and phone numbers again for validation when replying to this email.

The list of office equipments below is what you will be purchasing for your home office work station and I will be providing the funds to purchase these items. Before we have funds sent to your address I would want you to carry out a price survey research online or in stores for the prices/features of the listed equipments below and reply with the total cost. I understand there are various online stores available on the internet to compare prices so do your research on the best available prices and include the names of the stores for my personal use.

1)Printer : Brother MFC-9840CDW All-In-One-Printer
2)Shredder :Fellowes C-120Ci 100% Jam Proof Cross-Cut Shredder
3)Personal Laptop : Apple Macbook White 13" 2.4GHz
4)Internet_Access:Monthly Internet Bills.....
5)Laminator: GBC HeatSeal H312 12.5-Inch
6)Paper Cutter: Fellowes Plasma A3 Heavy Use Guillotine
7)Cabinet: SentrySafe Fire-Safe 2-Drawer Insulated Vertical File,17-1/4 inches wide by 23-1/4x28h
8)Calculator: TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

It is our duty to provide all necessary office equipments delivered to you so we can have your home office fully set up. FYI you are not expected to use your personal money for any kind of purchase for the purchase of the lists so wait until I instruct the funds sent out to you before proceeding to buy the equipments. But I most inform you before you get started that if you want to quit working with us then we have to send one of our mover to pick up all our office equipments bought at your address.

Note that this job will not consume much time and you will be free most of the week. But when duty calls its paramount that you answer and get things done in a timely and orderly manner. You will be provided with all you need to work at our expenses and when any duty comes up all needed instructions & information will be provided for you in PDF to your email until you have fully mastered my needs and how things should be done. I hope to read from you on the prices and features of the equipments within 24hrs.Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you on the total cost of all office equipments first thing Tuesday morning.

Kind Regards,

Richard Diego

the email address is richard.diego@btinternet.com

He has also been calling me (im in the UK) from what he is calling his US mobile he even sent me the number.

No he has emailed me stating that a client will be sending me a payment for some purchases and I am to bank the cheque if i do not get a reply to my confirmation of receipt email and bank the cheque then forward the money to his project manager in the Philippines!

I am guessing this is a scam im tempted to call the number he called me from???

Thanks for every ones post it has been very helpfull

Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi Everyone,

I have received similar Email. First time when i have read it, i couldn't believed that someone wants pay me money in advance and send me money for the shopping if i have never seen him before. I am form the UK and i was looking for work so i have posted ad on gumtree.com and i have received:

Hello,
How are you and how is the Family ? are you available to work? i need to get some things done, are you honest and can work , i pay you 300 every week, get back to me and let me give you more information asap.

And my answer was:

Hello.

I am very well. Thank You. Yes i am available to work, if you can only tell me bit more about the job. Thank you for you mail anyway.

Warmest Regards.
Lucas

Then he:

Hello,

I am in need of a personal assistant,I would love to meet up with you
to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am presently out
for a short business trip so there will be no interview. I will
pre-pay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have my mails and letter
forwarded to any post office close to you. If you will be unable to
stay at your house to get my mails, so that you can pick it up at
your convenience. if you have to, When you get my mails; you are
required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to
put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have mails mailed
to your house and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the letters
to reveal its content. The content of the and some i do some
shopping which you will help me do

All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between
15 and 20hrs
a month. How much will you charge per week? I will pay 300
weekly for this
position. That is not a bad offer is it? I need your service because I am
constantly out of town. I work in Oil and Gas and I own an Art
Gallery in Italy. I will return by MAY Ending , 2011 so this
process will be going- on
till i get back If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I
return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. Hope to hear I will
email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy
packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. You will
be shopping for Electronics and clothings. I will provide you my personal UPS
account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to
UPS and shipping charges will be applied to the account. I will provide clear
set of instructions for each task I need done as well as the funds to
cover them.
If I were to mail you payment to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your
service, where would you want it mailed to? Kindly fill the Short form
below and send
it back to me.

Full Name:
Full Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
mobile Phone:
Get back to me with the required details above , So that the
travelers check payment can be forward to you as soon as possible and
I will
appreciate quick response from you. Thanks and please get back to me asap and
confirm this mail asap.

Your Sincerely

And i wrote to him:

Hi there.

The offer sound good to me. But before i send you my details , i don't want to be rude but i have got lots of bad experience with the similar mails.And it would be great if you'll tell me what is your name.

Kind Regards.
Lukas

Then he answered:

lol. my name?

Then me:

Its good to know who you work for. Isn't it ? You see. I told you i had lots of bad experience with similar mails. Look you want to give me a job without any interview. How do you know that you can trust me? Don't take all of this wrong. I hope you understand what i mean.

Warmest Regards.

Then he:

sure, and am n ot sure i want to offer you the job again.

So after his mail i thought ok i am not risking if i will give him details. So i gave him my details. And then he answered:

Thanks for the details. Great to hear from you, .The Job will be
assigned to you immediately without any delay alright. As my assistant
you will resume work with helping me on errands, sorting out my
delivers and packages since I am not available and make payments on my
behalf. You will be properly briefed in order to carry out every task
appropriately. I believe we started the purchase with TRUST, HONESTY
AND SOUND MIND..! Please assure me of you trust, honesty and
commitment. I will make arrangement with my associate to send payment
to you in Bank Draft for your first salary and also to carry out your
first assignment. You will be informed once the payment has been sent
and what you are to do with the remaining money after deducting your
salary. I hope we have an understanding ?., Thanks for the
co-operation and understanding in this transaction / Work Assigned you
are to carry out, Thanks once for your effort .
I will get back to you immediately the Money is sent to you it will be
send to you via UPS COURIER SERVICE Or Post Mail Service alright which
will take 4 to 5 working days for the payment to get to your
destination alright , I will get back to you immediately the Payment
is send to you as soon as possible this week ..!
N/B........ Please get set and please I don't want the situation where
by the payment will be send to you and said you are not Interested
again I will never allow that at all please just get set and consider
you have getting a per-time job already for yourself Okay. I would be
delighted to hear from you as soon as possible for confirmation that
you received this mail from me .

And me:

I understand everything and i am waiting to hear from you soon.

And him:

Hello, i just want let you know that funds for your first assignment as been sent out to you and you will get it in the post. let me know when you get it so i can instruct you on what, also you will be getting for first salary also

And me today:

Hello. I have received yours letter today, so i will have that money on my account probably after the weekend. So i am waiting for your next instructions what to do next..

So i have received cheque for 1880.00 Pounds. And i was thinking about this all the time who gives money to the strangers ?? So i have typed in google personal assistand scam, and i saw lots of websites with similar mails, and just couple of words were different rest was this same. So the check is in the bin. I was aware because my friend was selling the car trough the autotrader website and he had similar mails.

That is his e-mail: drstevepk@gmail.com

And pictures of the cheque :
http://img195.imageshack.us/i/img0635rm.jpg/
http://img651.imageshack.us/i/img0636n.jpg/
http://img211.imageshack.us/i/img0637f.jpg/
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/img0638pn.jpg/

Strange was that he have send the letter from london(stamp on the envelope) but he said that he is abroad. Strange ain't it?

So what do you think people? What shall i do next? Shall i reply him f*****ck you etc.?

Or maybe tell the police?

Last edited by buczer2 : 01-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buczer2 View Post
So what do you think people? What shall i do next? Shall i reply him f*****ck you etc.?

Or maybe tell the police?
Thanks for posting up the "job posting" from that scammer. Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to post. Thanks!

As all you have is one of the scammer's fake names and free email address, there is almost nothing law enforcement can do. You don't even know what country that scammer is located in.

What you can do is make the scammer think you are a perfect victim and make him spend hours emailing you, spend money on cyber cafe time, minutes on his phone and sending you homemade pictures. Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called scambaiting. If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thx for you answer Meri Widow .So i will find something about scambaiting and probably that will become my new hobby.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

As much as we would like these types of things to be legitimate opportunities, they are not.

Unfortunately, this type of scam is not only used with jobs but also with apartments. One of my friends daughters was looking for a place to live and replied to an ad advertising an apartment on a well known free advertising site. The place was advertised well below market.

The advertiser responded that they were out of the country and could not show the apartment now but she could go ahead and send the deposit and they would send her the keys. Of course it really wasn't even their apartment to rent out.

It is really shameful how low people will go to cheat others.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi buczer2
I applied for a job on gumtree the same as you...........I received a cheque for £3,000 in my name from a company called GRA Limited so I googled them and contacted the company to see if they had actually sent the cheque and as I thought it was fraudulent! I was then advised to contact the police and I had to give them copies of the emails and the cheque and it is now with the Fraud Investigation Department............the police said that they probably will not catch the person as they send them around to so many different people before it actually gets banked that it is almost impossible to track where they come from.

If you need anymore info let me know :)

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi borgie101 .

Thx for yours info. I have discovered that he is from nigeria .

Anyway, i have got small update of his mail because i have changed it.

drstevepkk@gmail.com

Last edited by Meri Widow : 01-25-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I am new at Scam.com

here is another email employ.resumes@rocketmail.com

my husband and i got scammed also just last week. our employer went by the name Tom Mayer, so please watch out for this name. we were desperate for extra work and money and were suckered. he had my husband opened a bank acct where he had his "client" wired money into. from there he instructed my husband to pull the money out and send it via western union to Nigeria. i really wish we search up this forum earlier. we found out through our bank, our scamming employer somehow got hold of someone else's account access and wired money to our acct. that person filed a fraud report and the bank returned the money back to him. but sadly, the money is now charged back to us and we now owe a negative on our acct as we are held responsible. now we have to pay the money back before we are on all banks' black list. we will be filing a police report.

are there any other actions we should be taking aside from the possibilities of more scamming emails and police report?

my husband has been really bummed since we found out this is a scam. it is hard enough for us as money is tight as it is already. now we have to pay the bank money we innocently helped take. i really wish all of the scammers out there all get what they deserve in the end.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meena View Post
are there any other actions we should be taking aside from the possibilities of more scamming emails and police report?
Making a scammer's scam googlable is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post and then does not become a victim because you took the time to "get the word out". There are other scam-busting sites that would love to add that scammer to their collections.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, ask questions and learn all about that hobby.

Now for the really bad news. Since you have you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money, email address or identity to a scammer.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

thanks alot Meri Widow. i am glad to have to found this forum and was able to share our story. thank you so much for your advices, it was really helpful. we will definitely be more careful and will seriously look into scambaiting.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Be even more careful now.. i got a LONG email about this guy who is suppose to be on vacation for 2 weeks.. and is gna send me money for an orphanage and stuff..just like all these people .. (was posted on Seattle *****slist) i noticed it was fishy when he wouldnt say a location.. in the two emails i got from him.. it was about where you live.. or by your home... not in seattle.. or more specific (where my address was) just like in others he had bad hearing so couldnt hear... also supposedly works for AIN in canada n US.. made some errors in saying HERE IN US.. when he was suppose to be in austrailia... so im thinkin hes somewhere in the states.

he also said this....

A payment in form of check from one of my clients will be sent to you and i have some lists to email you once you received the funds,You will make some arrangements by buying some items for the kids at the Orphanage home at the nearest store around you so you can have them mailed out. I will get you more information the assignment i have for you.

which flagged me to look for any scams on it...
along with the form to fill out address name etc.. no real personal info just like the others, which i saw fishy because he had it all already.

BUT the main reason i wanted to post on here.. was his email address greatly changed. he told me he was an interior designer.. and even had a DESIGNER EMAIL ADDRESS.... so dont just look at emails for yahoo.com and gmail and stuff.. it can be anything...

his was...rmatt@premdesigns.com

it says there is a premdesigns.com but it is not started (aka google says if you are admin.. create a home page) and also there is no interior designer with premier designs.. or prem design or anything!

so BE AWARE of email addresses!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Glad to read that you figured out it was a scam before losing money to a "cash the fake check" type scammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nique0401 View Post
BUT the main reason i wanted to post on here.. was his email address greatly changed. he told me he was an interior designer.. and even had a DESIGNER EMAIL ADDRESS.... so dont just look at emails for yahoo.com and gmail and stuff.. it can be anything...

his was...rmatt@premdesigns.com

it says there is a premdesigns.com but it is not started (aka google says if you are admin.. create a home page) and also there is no interior designer with premier designs.. or prem design or anything!

so BE AWARE of email addresses!!!
Nice, a paid server email address. If you would like to cause that scammer some grief, you can help shut down his paid email address. If you google the word "scambaiting" you will find sites where you can post up that email address and the emails themselves. At the sites you find, look for the forum entitled "fake websites/banks" and post what you have there. Then you can read up on how to alert the hosting company that they have a scammer using their services. Even if you aren't interested is alerting the hosting company, you can still post what you have there for someone else "to take of".

Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 AM
I am new at Scam.com

UPDATE: so, after a week of dealing with our bank (paying all the money owed on the acct), filing police report, etc., we find out we might still be on the bank's black list. from the bank's perspective, we look like the ones committing the fraud. we are still waiting for our bank's update. our banker told us worse case scenario is the fraud will be reported to the bank's check system (all banks). from there we will not be able to open another bank acct for the next 5 years. as for our current accts, depending on which bank, they can decide to cancel our existing accts and we will not be able to bank with them anymore. just a head's up on what to expect if you were scammed as deep in as we are.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

The English and Grammar in the on i received hurt my head. :(

It is a pleasure you response to my email...,I am a Building contractor,I am from Cardiff, Wales, I build home for Orphanage and homeless people in and outside UK, presently am building Orphanage construction project....I am very sure there is a post office and UPS Courier service is around you to send Items?...In addition to that, I don't mind you handle the tasks during your spare time outside of work or school. Like I mentioned its a flexible hour job that will fit your present Job. I am a Building Contractor, Build homes for Orphans and homeless people... I . I wish I could meet in person to discuss about am still working here for a Orphanage Building construction project and the project will last for 3months .For this reason there will be no interview until I return UK after I done with the project.
Your primary objective is to facilitate the purchase of household items, home appliances etc for orphans and homeless people, All errands will be in your county/town, so It is not necessary that you have a car, you can run errands via bus or taxi,you won't have to put money out of your pocket, You main objective it to do shopping for Orphans ( purchase of Home appliances,Household etc ) which I will mail you a brochure for you to browse through it for exactly what to buy at the stores.

1.Have you ever worked as a Personal Assistant ?
2.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?
3.Will you be able to run errands 1hrs. 30mins per day for and will be
needed 3 days per week?

You will be earning 250GBP on every successful duty/purchase completed in every week, and next assignment will only be upon successful completion of the first assignment,note that all shopping expenses,shipping and pick up arrangements for items purchased will be duly arranged for by me OK .
Please note that no commitment from your pocket made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested in taking up this employment opportunity, do forward me the under listed information(s) for the issuance of the payment ( Cheque ) I need your details for the money ( Cheque ) to be mail to you.As my representative, you will be receiving payments from my sponsors in UK.....

FULL NAME:
FULL CONTACT ADDRESS :
COUNTY/TOWN :
POSTAL CODE:
MOBILE NUMBER:
NATIONALITY
EMAIL:

I am grateful for your attention.
Upon receipt of above details, I will send you an e-mail acknowledging your status, Details forwarded will be used to disburse payment
If you are interested get back as soon as possible with details required above for immediate employment.

Respectfully,