report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I am new at Scam.com

*scam* Office Assistant Clerk Position c raigslist

Peter Smith: how are you doing?
ME: great and yourself
Peter Smith: am ok
Peter Smith: Good Day...Personnel manager for Data Capture Solutions Ltd , a company described with great history was established in 1996 with a commitment to provide computer products that would stand up to the demands of European and American market..I am here to interview you for the position you seek with our company. Can we proceed ?
ME: yes
Peter Smith:
What's your Fullname and where are you currently located ?
ME: FL
Peter Smith:
Why do you want this job, what do you understand by the term "pettycash" and are you currently employed ?
ME: I currently own my own business however it has slowed down and need to find another job to bring in income.
ME: Pettycash - money used for misc. things... depending on the environment
Peter Smith:
How would you describe your work ethics and are you comfortable with the fact that this is an online/work from home job?
ME: I am extremely comfortable with working online and at home. I have been doing it for the past 10 years
Peter Smith: Do you know how to make use of ms excel and whats your typing speed ?
ME: My skills with Excel are very good. Type about 45-50 wpm
Peter Smith:
Privacy and code of conduct....explain the phrase?
ME: in the online industry?
ME: or in general?
ME: Mainly I would say its protecting ones privacy and priviledged information.
Peter Smith: in general
ME: Confidentiality
Peter Smith: This is a work from home job where you will be doing data entry clerk (accounting related) work will be sent to you daily via emails and u are to submit work back to me at the end of the day via email...
Very well....i would like to tell you more about this job offer
As an Office Assistant Clerk , you will:
*Enter admission and billing data for clients and payroll information for employees into the computer system, and forward documentation to the appropriate processing center.
*Maintain client/employee records, and distribute copies of compliance documentation to appropriate branch staff based on Company approved standardized paper flow.
Peter Smith:
*Ensure all client and employee files are current and complete, interface with administrative staff to gather deficient or inaccurate documents, and notify the manager when employees do not respond to requests for needed documentation
And any other related data entry tasks as it may be assigned by the supervisor. I believe you can handle all of this at any given time?
ME: Do you mainly use excel or other programs?
Peter Smith: excel
ME: Is the work every day
Peter Smith: NEXT IS PAYROLL & WORKING SCHEDULE
1. How many hours are you willing to Work per day? (4hr Minimum)
2. What time range? (Morning Section 8am-12noon or Afternoon section 3pm-7pm)
3. Payroll Interval? (Weekly or Bi-weekly)
4. Payroll Method (Check or bank transfer)
We offer $25 per hour
Peter Smith: yes
ME: The morning hours would work best but I can be available after 4pm as well
ME: Prefer bi-weekly or whatever works best for you
ME: Check
Peter Smith: ok
Peter Smith: Just to inform you that Data Capture Solutions Ltd would be providing you with a mini office equipments that would be use for the data compliement. the following would be sent to you
* Hp Notebook Pentium D Duo Processor 1800 mGHZ, 120 Gigg HDD, 1G Internal Memory.
* All in One Printer, Scanner, Fax and Photocopier Machine.
* Microsoft Office and Microsoft Operating Systems ( Service Packs 2 )
* Mini-Office Stationaries.
Peter Smith: A Check of $2950 will be issued and mail out to you for the purchase of the following softwares that will be needed during your orientation and training.
* $350 For BS 1 Accounting software which is to be purchase next week.
* $200 For Peach Tree Software (US Patent Single Users Pack)
* You deduct $200 for your self for signing Bonus ( This is to help to Multivate staff towards commencement )
* Telegram the remaining to the Shipping agent to effect Shipping Logistics for your Equipments Listed above.( this is to be done via Western Union money Transfer or Money Gram )
ME: can you explain this: Telegram the remaining to the Shipping agent to effect Shipping Logistics for your Equipments Listed above.( this is to be done via Western Union money Transfer or Money Gram )
Peter Smith: telegram means wire transfer
ME: i understand that
Peter Smith: the remaining balance from the check you will send to the shipping agent for the shipment of your mini office equipments
ME: so you are saying i would need to wire money from my account to the shipping agent?
Peter Smith: from the check that you will receiving after having it cashed and deduct your ign on bonus and also the amount ment for the purchase of the software
ME: Sounds a bit fishy... thanks anyways
Peter Smith: ok
Peter Smith: bye
Last message received on 8/30 at 4:55 PMBookmark
EMAIL ON YAHOO IS - [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']trovit.comm75@yahoo.com[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']AND REG EMAIL connect@captureplc.com[/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']SUCH A SCAM - SEE WESTERN UNION YOU KNOW ITS A SCAM!!![/font]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']BEWARE!!![/font]

Old 08-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Re: *scam* Office Assistant Clerk Position c raigs

Thanks for posting up the name the scammer is using, email addresses and all that information on a "cash the fake check" scam.

If you haven't already, you could flag that listing with c_raigslist so less enlightened potential victims won't fall for it.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I had a similar Online Interview and he sent me this E-mail
Hello Mehmood,
Sorry for the delay in getting you started,this delay was caused by circumstances beyond our control.I like to bring it to your attention now, that the Check which you would be using to cover the expense of your sign on bonus and purchasing the accounting soft wares plus the shipping expenses for the office supplies and equipment has finally been sent out to you...It will be delivered to you via FedEx delivery tomorrow morning before 10am and here is the FedEx Tracking # -------
.....You are to Deposit the Check at your bank. Below is the instruction you are to follow on how to spend the cash after you must have cashed the check at your bank;
* $150 For BS 1 Accounting software
* $250 For Peach Tree Software US Patent Single Users Pack
* You deduct $200 for your self as your sign on Bonus.
The remaining balance should be sent to the shipping agent who will ship out your mini office equipment and supplies..You are to send the remaining balance via western union money transfer to this name and address and you are to deduct the western union charges from the remaining balance you sending to the shipping agent after deducting the above expenses:

NAME : MARGARET
ADDRESS : =====
City : ======
State : ------
Zip : 00000

I refused the delivery of the FEDEX I have hidden the Number and the address of Magaret

This guy should be caught and prosecuted

Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I did not have an interview, but I did receive the following email in response to my request for more information about an office assistant position posted on *****sList.

"Dear Applicant,
Thanks for your response. My name is Stevie Gate. I live in US but presently in London on a business trip and I need a Personal Assistant urgently to run my errands until I return back to the US. I own an electronics and clothing store in London, United Kingdom. Here belowis the job description.
1. You will run errands for three times a week and two hours each day.
2. You will do my business shopping.
3. You will receive my packages which will be shipped to the nearest UPS office to you. You will go to the UPS office and pick up the packages. The content of the packages are electronics, clothes, my business and personal letters. You will open the packages and confirm the contents for record purpose.
4. You will ship out some of the packages where I want them to be shipped to. (You don't have to pay for the shipment. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me)
5. You will receive payments from my clients on my behalf which will be written payable to your name so you can cash them at your bank. The payments will be in either check or money order. The payments will be for the services you will be rendering and to do my business shopping.
Job Requirement
1. You must have good communication skill.
2. You must be efficient, reliable, responsible and trustworthy.
3. You mush be able to perform your tasks effectively
4. You should be able to work 3 times per week and 2 hours each day.
Payment and Work Duration
The Job will last for three months. I want to open another electronics and clothing store in the US when I return and if there is need to extend your services, an amendments would be made to your wages and you will be notified accordingly. I will meet you in person when I return back to the US . I am willing to pay $300 per week. Your weekly payment will be deducted from the payments sent to you by my clients.
I need the service of a personal assistant because I am always out of town for business trips. The lists and pictures of what to shop will be sent to you via email when am ready. No heavy packages are involved! The shopping will be done at any nearest stores to you. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothes. My personal UPS account number will be provided for shipping. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task to be done and funds to cover them.
If interested, Please confirm the following details:
Your Full Name:
Your Full Address with apt # (Not P.O.Box):
Your city and Zip Code:
Your Cell phone number
Your Home phone number
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Stevie Gate"

Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
3. You will receive my packages which will be shipped to the nearest UPS office to you. You will go to the UPS office and pick up the packages. The content of the packages are electronics, clothes, my business and personal letters. You will open the packages and confirm the contents for record purpose.
4. You will ship out some of the packages where I want them to be shipped to. (You don't have to pay for the shipment. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me)
5. You will receive payments from my clients on my behalf which will be written payable to your name so you can cash them at your bank. The payments will be in either check or money order. The payments will be for the services you will be rendering and to do my business shopping.
Job Requirement
Translation:
3.Pick up the packages paid for with a stolen credit cards that are shipped to your name, that you sign for after showing your photo ID.
4.Reship them to the scammer using your name as the shipper and using a stolen UPS or FedEx billing account number.
5.Cash the fake check and Western Union your cash to the scammer.

Consequences:
3. The local law enforcement officials show up at your door asking why you are using stolen credit cards.
4. UPS and FedEx send you the huge bill for the international shipping charges once they realize that you were not authorized to use someone else's billing account number.
5. The bank demands you pay the bounced check fee and pay them back for all the money you withdrew and sent to the scammer.

Flag that fake job at c-raigslist and don't bother responding, it isn't worth your effort.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

it makes me think of a money laundering scam. I was just talking to him and he was telling me how it was an at home job to fill out people's checks. You would be able to write anything you want on those checks if it was an at home, there's no way to monitor them.
that's when i knew

Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 AM

@ pbast872

Glad you figured out it was a scam before losing money.

Is your scammer using a different email address, could post up the emails themselves and the email address that the scammer is using? It will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I received a check in the mail today for $2892.00. It was sent by USPS express mail. The check looks real. It is real, but if you go and cash the check at a check cashing place I'm betting that the account numbers don't work. It was inside the envelope by itself. The name of the sender on the envelope was Michael J Bean with a location address in Wayland, MA. It is a cashiers check from Chartway Federal Credit union. I checked my email and had an email from an Edward Martinez with "shipping instructions". The instructions told me to deposit the check into my bank account and keep $150 as a signing bonus, $300 for the BS1 Accounting software and wire transfer the rest to a name they gave so the "office equipment" can be sent.

Me personally, I knew it was a scam from the very beginning I just wanted to see how far they would go and see what the NEW scam was since the OLD ones haven't been working anymore.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebone1200 View Post
Me personally, I knew it was a scam from the very beginning I just wanted to see how far they would go and see what the NEW scam was since the OLD ones haven't been working anymore.
Have fun and be safe. Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, ask questions and learn all about that hobby. There are all sorts of new scams and old ones with new twists you can read about at such sites.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Getting your application ready for start up.However we are glad to let you know that you are on-course and our representative would be getting back to you via phone shortly prior to next week start up. Your supervisor would be contacting you after completing the process below.

CONTENTS:

1. FUND INSTRUCTION

2. DEDUCTIONS

3. EQUIPMENT

4. SHIPPING AGENT INFORMATION

FUNDS INSTRUCTION:

We will like you to know that in regards to your online job we have build a trust in you and the company is having a strong believe that you will do as you said in your answers during your interview and we will like you to know that funds have been mailed to you Via FedEx and you should be getting it today, We will like you to know that as soon as you get the payment you will need to go and have it (Check Cashed) at your bank then follow the instructions giving below:

FED EX TRACKING NUMBER : 8750 8990 8478

(Please track and confirm estimated delivery time of your package)

DEDUCTIONS:

* $150.00 For BS 1 Accounting software which is to be purchased.

* $100.00 For Peach Tree Software ( sage pro)

* Deduct $100.00 for yourself as signing Bonus (Motivation of staff towards commencement of their job).

You will make a total deduction of $350.00 from the issued payment.

*Use $200.00 form the total amount you are sending for the Western Union Money Transfer Fee you are sending to the shipping agent.

* Send the remaining amount to the Shipping agent to effect Shipping Logistics for your Equipments via Western Union Money Transfer

These equipments are required to start up after your one week orientation and training on how to use the software’s and relating with your supervisor online.

EQUIPMENT:

The Following would be shipped to you by the shipping agent in other to start up.The items are listed below:

*Lenovo ThinkPad T400s Notebook,Printer, Scanner, Fax and Photocopier Machine( 4 in 1).

* Microsoft Office and Microsoft Operating Systems (Service Pack 2)

* Mini-Office Stationeries.

SHIPPING AGENT INFORMATION:

Name.. JANNETH AGUIRRE
Address.. 456 Flat Bush Ave
City... BRAWLEY
State... CA
Zip Code... 92227

Below is the shipping agent information print and take along while going to Western Union.

Transfer and make sure the status of the funds is ''MONEY IN MINUTE''

NOTE: The Reason for this brief test is just to ascertain the level of confidence and Trustworthiness in you, then the Company would be assured to give you its confidentiality. Details on Location and Stores close to you for the purchase of the software’s would be made available to you.

Once the fund is sent, kindly have the following Western Union Information mailed to us via E-mail as soon as possible in the format below.

MTCN NUMBER:

AMOUNT SENT FOR THE EQUIPMENTS:

NOTICE : Send in an Email with the subject ** PETTY CASH DETAILS ** with the details of your deductions and the fund transferred to the shipping agent. An email with summarized assessment of your performance would be sent to you and details of the delivery date including the arrival of the equipments would be made known to you.

Please acknowledge this email as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

Adam Cole
Tel: 240 324 6271

Is this a scam!! What do I do if I already have cashed the money and sent it!! Answer ASAP!!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

call the western union agent, try to cancel the transfer. it is you that has just been robbed, not the bank.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinbyfaith View Post
Is this a scam!! What do I do if I already have cashed the money and sent it!! Answer ASAP!!
100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

Go immediately to Western Union and see if you can stop the transfer. If so, pick up the money and take it directly back to the bank and deposit it and tell the tell the check you deposited is fake. If the money has already been picked up, still go to your bank and tell them that you accidentally cashed a fake check and want to work out a repayment plan. You WILL have to pay back the bank, they will NOT take the loss, sorry.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

If you are able to get your money back from Western Union, the scammer is going to be mad that you didn't fall for his scam. He will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "FBI@ gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement offical can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:
1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.
2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.
3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.
4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.
5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.
6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "money mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.