report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Diamond Member

Lights In New Orleans For Bush

Brian Williams:

Quote:
I am duty-bound to report the talk of the New Orleans warehouse district last night: there was rejoicing (well, there would have been without the curfew, but the few people I saw on the streets were excited) when the power came back on for blocks on end. Kevin Tibbles was positively jubilant on the live update edition of Nightly News that we fed to the West Coast. The mini-mart, long ago cleaned out by looters, was nonetheless bathed in light, including the empty, roped-off gas pumps. The motorcade route through the district was partially lit no more than 30 minutes before POTUS drove through. And yet last night, no more than an hour after the President departed, the lights went out. The entire area was plunged into total darkness again, to audible groans. It's enough to make some of the folks here who witnessed it... jump to certain conclusions.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:13 AM

Re: Lights In New Orleans For Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmatthews

I heard on the news this morning that the White House crew brought their own lights and generators and such to provide lighting for the event. They had to have lighting and electricity to conduct this event. I'm not sure what is being inferred by your post. :confused:

Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
I heard on the news this morning that the White House crew brought their own lights and generators and such to provide lighting for the event. They had to have lighting and electricity to conduct this event. I'm not sure what is being inferred by your post. :confused:
The inference is that the folks think that Bush isn't going to follow through. What the people don't understand is that where the electricity traveled will depend on what section of line the generators were hooked up to. Whether it was in a substation, or which transformers on the poles were tapped into.

Maybe the people thought they would just leave the generators there until the lines were fixed. But to run hot wires isn't exactly safe for the lineman who have to rebuild all of it. Electricity will be re-established from the substations outward, it's how the power must flow. And in the case of New Orleans, they might gain electricity back on the north and west ends of town and move eastward. It just depends on where most of the damage is and how things are hooked in down there.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Last edited by sojustask : 09-16-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojustask
The inference is that the folks think that Bush isn't going to follow through. What the people don't understand is that where the electricity traveled will depend on what section of line the generators were hooked up to. Whether it was in a substation, or which transformers on the poles were tapped into.

Maybe the people thought they would just leave the generators there until the lines were fixed. But to run hot wires isn't exactly safe for the lineman who have to rebuild all of it. Electricity will be re-established from the substations outward, it's how the power must flow. And in the case of New Orleans, they might gain electricity back on the north and west ends of town and more eastward. It just depends on where most of the damage is and how things are hooked in down there.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I did hear a lot of skepticism from the locals that were interviewed after the speech. I myself am generally wary of anything that a politician says. I hope for all of the peoples sakes in all of the affected areas that our government follows through with its promises in ways that will benefit the people that have lost so much. My prayers are with them.

Robert

Old 09-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys
I myself am generally wary of anything that a politician says.

Politician = Big fat liar.

Lady Mod

Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
1--800-282-2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojustask

Maybe the people thought they would just leave the generators there until the lines were fixed. But to run hot wires isn't exactly safe for the lineman who have to rebuild all of it. Electricity will be re-established from the substations outward, it's how the power must flow. And in the case of New Orleans, they might gain electricity back on the north and west ends of town and move eastward. It just depends on where most of the damage is and how things are hooked in down there.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
You are correct, I am impressed. You must have studied MHO (ohm's law) and Malvino. Do I sense a big fat electrical engineering contract for Lady Mod? Just go down there and take it for a FAIR price. Lead by example and save the poor taxpayer some loot!!!

Old 09-17-2005, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider
You are correct, I am impressed. You must have studied MHO (ohm's law) and Malvino. Do I sense a big fat electrical engineering contract for Lady Mod? Just go down there and take it for a FAIR price. Lead by example and save the poor taxpayer some loot!!!
You are weird. My husband is a lineman, he works for companies that build power lines. I've been married 28 years to the man, dated two before then and unlike most wives, I took great interest in his job.

Lady Mod

Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 AM
tommywho70x

and such a fun job it is, too, once you get the fine reflex pathway "body knowing" of what you can and can't touch while you're working on systems that will blow your feet right off your ankles or incinerate your hand halfway to the elbow in an instant.

i worked outdoor lighting maintenance from a boom truck in Chicago. Woo-hoo! 50 feet up in a swinging basket, 10 above zero, 50 mph gusting, 440vAC Ballast, 2000W Sodium Vapor lamp that can explode in your face if it's defective. Yee-haw/Yee-haw!

there were four of us in three trucks on the crew. We rolled at 8am sharp directly to our first coffee break, worked from 9 to 10 and it was time for coffee again, 11-12 and it's lunch time, 1-2 and more coffee, 3-4 and coffee again, back to the shop between 4:30 to unload, a 5:00 air horn and see you tomorrow!

Funny thing was, with all the goofing off we did, the only tickets that didn't get completed were ones that needed parts or special tooks we weren't carrying, like my favorite friend, Mr. Pneumatic Jack Hammer.

As for N.O. LA district getting lit and blacked out: PUTZUS brought his own generators, they hooked them into the grid somewhere and somehow. Whatever was on got lit. Party Over -> Shut down generators -> Neighborhood goes black again. No mystery. Basic electrical engineering and innate characteristics of electrical circuit designs.