report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Yahoo Finance Scam

Anyone looking to purchase a car online beware of someone claiming to use Yahoo Finance as a 3rd party arbitrator for the deal. It's similar to the Worldpay scar. I was almost suckered out of $5,000.00. After reaching an agreed to price with the seller you will receive an email from someone claiming to be with Yahoo Finance. I verified with Yahoo and they don't offer this type of service.

Bookmark and Share

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Yahoo Finance Scam

Where were the car details posted?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

search "camaro 254 247 3882" and prepare to be amazed at the number of ads

Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Found an ad in Auto Trader for 1992 Red Jeep Wrangler. Incorrect number listed. Location of vehicle Naples, FL. Contacted owner by email-received following-*** am contacting you regarding a 1992 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4x4 I had advertised for sale on autotrader. I thing I have replied to you before, but for some reason my messages disappeared, so please excuse me for sending you this e-mail in case you bought another car or you are not interested anymore.
I just finished the divorce, and I am very glad that I took the car, because it was my husbands most precious thing.The price I am asking for it is only $3,999. It may sound amazing, but it truly is an outstanding deal. I don't ask to much for the car because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, since the bastard cheated on me in this car. It is bad memory and I should get rid of it. I would probably donate the money from the car to the red cross, as it seems the best solution.A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle.Never been in any accidents.Where are you located?If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
So Far So Good---next reply from seller---

Hello again,
The car is located in Reno, NV sealed and ready for the shipping. Shipping will be done via DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days top (depending on your exact location).
I have a contract with Yahoo Finance so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According to Yahoo Finance you have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
- Working Phone#
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to Yahoo Finance .
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. You will send the payment to Yahoo Finance . They will hold in trust the funds and advise me to ship to your address.
5. Yahoo Finance will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment details from Yahoo Finance so that I can pick up the money.
6. If you will decide that you will not buy the car, Yahoo Finance will refund the money and I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed.
I look forward to hear from you.
Thank you,
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BITTER WIFE?? Email from John Jamieson <jo89jamieson@hotmail.com>

Obvious scam

Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Information is Power

Good job checking with Yahoo. Yahoo is in the Search and Advertising business not the financing business.

In scams like this where email communication is used I see a common redflag is that they talk about personal issues they are having. They always mention a divorce they are going through, someone dying, financial issues, someone going to jail, etc..

In the real world if I have having financial issues and need to sell something I would never discuss that with a person I don't know.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The latest Yahoo finance scam involves a 2006 volkswagen Jetta TDI that is supposed to be located in Reno Nevada. The poster has placed the vehicle for sale in Atlanta, Nevada, and Miami.
There are the messages the scammer sent me.
Scammers e-mail is martawhite@live.com

1st email
Hello ,
Thanks for replying to my ad.
I want you to know the car is in excellent condition with no rust or any kind of damage anywhere and it doesn't need any maintenance.
Title is clear and free of liens.
My price is $ 4200. I am now in a divorce and I am in desperate need of money to pay the mortgage on my house with this economical crisis.
That's my only reason for selling it otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Where are you located?
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask
Best Regards

2nd email
Hi,
The car is located in Reno, NV sealed and ready for the shipping.I work as a dealer on a cruise ship. Now I am not in the town. This the reason that I chose to sell my car over internet.I hope this situation won't affect your decision in buying the car.
All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car.Also about payment and shipping I will use only Yahoo Finance.I need your name and shipping address so I can reserve the car for you and register the transaction with Yahoo Finance and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the transaction.fees).After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car.Let me know your decision.

Best regards

None of the e-mails are signed and there is no finance option offered of this sort from Yahoo Finance.
This type of long distance theft will continue to occur as the economy gets worse. I expect it to be rampant in the automotive sales industry within the next few months

Here are the scam pages

http://miami.backpage.com/AutosForSa...Ad?oid=8170030

http://espanol.phoenix.backpage.com/...Ad?oid=7358476

http://toronto.nowtoronto.com/AutosF...Ad?oid=3018563

Last edited by bobby hawk : 11-11-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I am new at Scam.com

There is currently a 1999 Honda crv for sale on autotrader for $3700 an it's a scam. I recieved the same email word for word as the person below with the jeep. I'm about to report them to autotrader. It's a shame that someone might actually fall for these!! Beware!!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This happened to me but luckily i googled!

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in my 2007 Ducati Superbike 1098 MOTION
The bike is in perfect condition, the paint looks like new without any scratch on it.Also it's free of accidents.
Always garage kept,no problems i can say it's in the best shape possibile.
One month ago i moved to London, Uk, with my work and i need some extra cash for a house here and i decided to sell my bike.
The shipping to any location in Australia will be included in the price.
Last price i want for it is $4000
If you are interested we can make this transaction in a secure way through yahoo finance so i will receive my money only after
you will have the Bike.
So please let me know if you are interested with this deal
Thanks

second email

Hello again,
The bike is with me in UK and it's available if you want to buy it.
I can ship it in australia in 7 days.
Look how i want to complete this deal in a secure way through yahoo finance if you want to buy the bike:
Yahoo holds the money until the bike is delivered to you, with properly executed title and all the paperworks to register the bike under your name. After you will receive the bike you will have 10 days for the inspection period. If the bike is not like described,
you will have to ship it back in 30 business days on my expense, but I am sure that you will love it.
So if you want to do this deal look what are the steps
- you give me your full name and shipping address,
- I start a transaction on yahoo finance,
- they send you the invoice with payment instructions,
- you send the payment to yahoo trust account
- they confirm me that they received and secured the funds,
- I ship the bike immediately after the payment is received by yahoo finance
- you receive the bike (maximum 10 days) inspect it and if you decide to keep it they will release the funds to me,
- if you don't keep the bike they will send the money back to you in 2 business days.
Thank you,

nearly fell for it

Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Newbie Member

I started a thread from what looks like the same person scamming other and is selling a mustang on Deals on Wheels who refused to removed the scam ad

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...back-scam.html

Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Newbie Member

Same scam, probably same person since they slipped up and mentioned a truck instead of a mustang when talking to me a few times
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/detail/1967_FORD_MUSTANG/00688036E51.aspx
Thomas Yelenovsky [mailto:yelenovskysellcar@msn.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:47 PM
To: asdfasdfasdf[/font]
Subject: RE: 1967 Ford Mustang
Hello,
Am contacting you regarding a1967 Ford Mustang.I had advertised for sale on dealsonwheels. I thing I have replied to you before, but for some reason my messages disappeared, so please excuse me for sending you this e-mail in case you bought another car or you are not interested anymore
I just finished the divorce, and I am very glad that I took the car, because it was my husbands most precious thing.The price I am asking for it is only $4490. It may sound amazing, but it truly is an outstanding deal. I don't ask to much for the car because I just want to get rid of it ASAP, since the bastard cheated on me in this car. It is bad memory and I should get rid of it. I would probably donate the money from the car to the red cross, as it seems the best solution.A Totally Rust, Corrosion And Flood Free Vehicle.Never been in any accidents.Where are you located?If you have any further questions please do not hesi tate to ask.[/font]
Thank you!

From:Thomas Yelenovsky [mailto:yelenovskysellcar@msn.com]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 3:52 PM
To: asdfasdf

Hi,
Sorry the phone company make some upgrades in my area and my phone line is down.The car is located in Reno, NV sealed and ready for the shipping.I work as a dealer on a cruise ship. Now I am not in the town. This the reason that I chose to sell my car over internet. I hope this situation won't affect your decision in buying the car.All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car. Also about payment and shipping I will use only Yahoo Finance.I need your name and shipping address so I can reserve the car for you and register the transaction with Yahoo Finance and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the transaction. fees).After you receive the car you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. Let me know your decision.
Best regards

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:46:51 -0700
To: yelenovskysellcar@msn.com
I am not sure why you are referring to a truck in this email? I will pay you after we talk in person. Where is your car? You can always call me from a pay phone, you do not need a personal working phone to communicate with me personally. Will you be able to call me?
From: Thomas Yelenovsky [mailto:yelenovskysellcar@msn.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:40 PM
To: asdfasd[/font]
I had some discussions with Yahoo Finance and they told me that they can help me and you to finalize this transaction fast and safe. I want to tell you that we will use Yahoo Finance in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them. Yahoo Finance will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems. They will take care of the shipping and all the small details. You will get the truck and you will have 5 days of inspection in which you can decide if you buy the truck or not. If you won`t like my truck (not your case) you notify Yahoo Finance and you send the truck back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce Yahoo Finance to send me the money (payment method and all the details will be set up by Yahoo Finance) and you keep the truck. Yahoo Finance will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit. Please get back to me with your full name and full address so i can forward your details to eBay in order for you to receive the invoice. Wait your reply.
P.S:The phone company make some upgrades in my area and my phone line is down . If you have other questions , please email me and I will reply asap Thank you![/font]

Last edited by MustangScam : 02-07-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I was nearly sucked in by this scam, this time for a 2008 Ford Galaxy advertised on the autotrader uk website. He wanted £3k when it should have been worth £13k. To good to be true almost always is!

Be careful out there everybody!

Last edited by airhugs : 03-02-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

There is a new scam regarding a motorcycle.
2003 Fatboy for $4900.00. Guy claims he's in Portland, Oregon. Email address is reed994@live.com. He is advertising in Tampa as well. Here is the body of the email:
The sale will be conducted through a third party, Yahoo Finance. You will send the money to Yahoo Finance and as soon as the payment is confirmed they will notify me to proceed with the shipping. I will ship the bike, and once you receive it and you have 7 days for inspection.
If you are satisfied with the bike and decide to keep it you must inform Yahoo Finance about this and they will release the money to me. If the bike is not as described or if you find any problems with it (I'm sure this is not the case because it's a state of art looking and working bike) and decide not to keep it, Yahoo Finance will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back of the bike will be my concern. I think this is fair for both of us.

If you want to proceed with the transaction please email me your full name and a shipping address so i can register our transaction with Yahoo Finance. After that they will contact you with all the details.

Thank you, John

I replied that I couldn't find anything about Yahoo finance on the internet. Haven't heard from him again.
Of course, if it sounds to good to be true it usually is!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I nearly fell for the exact same scam! I am in the process of saving up for a new car and saw an amazing deal on a seat leon advertised on auto trader. The first email read "Hello there,
I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my
2007 SEAT LEON FR TDI! Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Cadiz,Spain (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in you name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days. Final price is GBP 4,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in the Spain is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Spain.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a well known company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.
Thank you"

I naturally responded asking questions concerned that is was too good to be true to which i got this reply "Hello,
I completely understand your concerns and I want this transaction to be safe and secure for me and my buyer.
I attached the pics in case you want to see the vehicle again.
I want to inform you the the car is in Cadiz and it will be shipped from here to UK.The shipper I will use will deliver the vehicle to your door, you don't have to pick it from the port. Shipping will take 10 days maximum. The car will be shipped in a container; it will be loaded direct into a 20 ft or 40 ft steel shipping container at the port and it will be secured to the flooring rings of the container by ratchet straps and the wheels will be locked into position by wooden chocks, strapping to stop any movement. All vehicles are securely blocked, braced and tied down ensuring absolute security during transportation.
Due to the fact that i am located outside UK and we can not deal in person,i`ve contacted Yahoo Finance regarding this issue and they told me that they could offer to me a program that is created especially for international transactions that protects both of us.
Regarding the transaction, you will send the funds to Yahoo Finance and they will keep the money until you receive the vehicle and test it.In this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.Yahoo Finance will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their service is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that Yahoo Finance is in possession of the funds during the delivery period.
You will be given a 15 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home( i will ship it to your address insured for full value to you ).
If you decide to keep the car, then you will have to authorize Yahoo Finance to release the funds to me, and the transaction is complete.If the vehicle is not as described ( perfect interior,exterior,mechanical condition ), you will be able to send the vehicle back through the same shipping company ( return postage at my expense ), and ask Yahoo Finance to return the money to you.

If you want to read more about Yahoo Finance service please visit :
http://www.yahoo-uk-finances.com

If you want to get more info about their terms and condition please contact Yahoo Finance at: support@yahoo-uk-finances.com

If you wish to purchase it and agree to these terms i will need you to provide your full name and address. I will then notify Yahoo Finance and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

I will be waiting for your reply as soon as possible

Thank you in advance!" I then proceeded and emailed the address i was provided with to recieve the following "
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.
In response to your recent enquiry, for international transactions, we are offering to our customers the Yahoo Finance service.
According to our Yahoo Finance Terms and Conditions, we commit to act as a third party for exchange of funds between the Seller and the Buyer.
We are committed to provide a safe,risk-free trade enviroment to our customers.In the unlikely event of fraud, the Yahoo Finance provides an additional measure of safety.
In the unlikely event of fraud, the Yahoo Finance provides an additional measure of safety and our company refunds payment in full.
Fraud is defined as:
-Paying for a vehicle and never receiving it.
-Sending a deposit for a vehicle and never receiving it.
-Paying for and receiving a vehicle:
-that was a stolen vehicle at the time of the transaction
-with an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title
-a make and/or model that is different than what was described in the seller?s listing
-without receiving the title
-that has different specifications than the ones at the moment of agreement
-whose odometer reading is different than the odometer reading described by the seller

In the unlikely event of fraud, the Yahoo Finance provides an additional measure of safety and our company refunds payment in full.If you wish to purchase the above mentioned vehicle, and agree to use our services for this international transaction, you will need to provide the Seller with your full name and address and ask him to contact us with his agreement on starting the transaction using your details ( as Buyer ).
Thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have further queries or require assistance.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

Yahoo Finance Inc."

I then replied to the so called seller of the leon to which i have had no reply yet. Talking to my girlfriend and various others i was concerned regarding the email from yahoo, there was no official logo or any small print on the base of the email. I ran a check of the car on auto trader and it gave me the exact details, hadnt been stollen or crashed etc. Seeming to be too good to be true my girlfriend typed in yahoo finance scams to then bring up this very scam page iam writing on now.

I may have spent £20 on a check of the car but i very nearly paid alot more. Hopefully this will help you not make the same mistake. Like the program the Real Hustle say "if its too good to be true, it probably is!!!"

Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just to add on to the above, the registration of the car is LD07 ZTZ and the so called seller is called Joe Piran with an email address of joepiran@msn.com, be careful out there everyone!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpilsley_1 View Post
Just to add on to the above, the registration of the car is LD07 ZTZ and the so called seller is called Joe Piran with an email address of joepiran@msn.com, be careful out there everyone!!!!!!!

to pkpilsley: same scam, different car, different names.

Just to add to my post from 02 March, the details of the 2008 Ford Galaxy I was offered was:

VIN: WF0MXXGBWM8A66486.
Reg: NG08 OLN

My man, Tom Slyn was also from Cadiz, Spain and I was to pay into this account:

Yahoo Representative Account Name :
TERJE NICOLAS
Yahoo Representative Address :
Vereda De Orihuela 21
Yahoo Representative City :
Cartagena
Yahoo Representative Zip Code :
Yahoo Representative Country :
Spain
Beneficiary Bank Name :
IBERCAJA
Beneficiary Bank IBAN :
ES94 20859561460330252554
Beneficiary Bank Account Number :
Beneficiary Bank Swift Code :
CAZRES2ZXXX
Beneficiary Bank Address :
Calle San Felix 46- 48
Beneficiary Bank City :
Castellon
Beneficiary Bank Zip Code :
Beneficiary Bank Country :
Spain

If anyone knows who can use these details to either catch this guy or at least cause him a lot of grief, ie get his bank accounts shut down, please do so.

Regards

airhugs

Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Here's a new one that is also a Yahoo finance scam and I can't get dealsonwheels.com to remove the ad, so beware:

http://www.dealsonwheels.com/detail/...688206E49.aspx

Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Newbie Member

For sure thats a scam, he even lists a Crossville TN chamber of commerce fax number as his contact. Deals on wheels is real bad about removing false ads. I finally got them to remove one car after emailing every single known deals on wheels email address daily for a a few weeks

Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Who should I notify about fraud?
  • FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
  • FTC online complaint form (www.ftc.gov)
Other helpful Resources about protecting yourself online