report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Dun and Bradstreet

I feel compelled to post this...

But Dun and Bradstreet is really scamming people into signing up for services.

Here's how. I got a call from D&B and I smelled a sales pitched coming on. Now let me first say, I am not a fan of D&B because they make you pay for every little thing, including management of your own company profile. Its one thing to pay for a D&B report for another business, but your own business listing should be free, and they claim it is, but every step of the way they try and catch you and get you to pay.

So the guy from D&B on the phone starts telling me that is a courtesy call, and he wanted me to know that some negative items have been reported against my business. He says he will forward me a free copy of my report, but this free copy never arrives.

If you go online, and want to view your report, same thing, not free, you gotta pay to view your own report.

A buddy of mine has a D&B account, so I asked him to lookup my business, and guess what... There was nothing negative on it.

I'm convinced this is D&B's latest scare/sales tactic, they call you, plant a seed in your head that your business has a negative item on its report, pretent to send you a copy, then hope you go online and purchase the report to make sure your clean.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dun and Bradstreet

The majority of what is reported in a Dunn & Bradstreet report is what the business owners or principals told D&B. Occasionally they verify stuff or get additional infor from public records.

The only value to a D&B report is that it may, possibly, but not always, tell you who is involved in the company and even that is questionable.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just got the same call from D&B - It's sheer scare tactic. The guy told me there were areas of concern...I told him my oldest outstanding bill was 15 days. I told him that I didn't believe him then I thanked him for taking up my time. WHAT A SHAM...I though D&B was a reputable company...I was very mistaken!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

As a former employee of D&B who spent several years there, I wanted to chime in.

I've seen other people make posts regarding D&B and have tried to paint them in a negative light.

I just wanted to offer some suggestions to help others understand why other companies use D&B as a way to assess risk. Some have complained that they don't need D&B. Whenever there is a lack of information on a business regarding credit, that always equates to some level of risk.

A D&B D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit sequence recognized as the universal standard for identifying and keeping track of over 151 million businesses worldwide. It enables potential customers, suppliers and lenders to easily identify and learn about a company.

If you've had a D&B employee contact you, it is most likely because another company has purchased a credit report or other type of report to:

a. Assess Risk - You may have requested a line of credit through a bank, supplier/vendor and they are looking to see what you've done (how much credit you've been extended, terms, public filings, etc.) with other suppliers/vendors in a similar industry, and how well you've paid them on time. Why wouldn't other companies do their homework? Nowadays, potentially any company can go under overnight, and if there is an issue in the way you pay your suppliers/vendors, they will be notified of a change in your paying habits. In addition, if one of your suppliers/vendors suddenly went out of business, you'd need to scramble to find another quickly perhaps to get a shipment out, or hire another subcontractor to complete a job. I'm sure they'd want to get paid as well.

b. Become a Potential Supplier/Vendor - Other companies may be looking to do business with you and they may be cheaper to do business with. If you are a supplier/vendor/contractor, you may want to ensure that the company you are going to do business will stick around as well. Many companies require a D&B number and a qualifying score to even be considered a vendor for them.

c. Become a Potential Customer - Some companies may check your file to see if there are other business opportunities they are missing with you (or you may do the same with them to see if you are missing out on any business opportunities with them). Many companies have other divisions that you may have not known about where there are additional opportunities to bring in extra revenue.

d. Compare - Yes a competitor may do so

e. Check Credit on Your Customers - How often do some of you just send out invoices without checking your customers' histories to see how well they pay, if they've had prior bankruptcies/liens, or are on the verge of going out of business? What type of terms are other companies giving them? Lines of credit? Are they paying there other suppliers on time? That will predict likely how you will get paid.

You may laugh, but I cannot tell you how many times I, or someone else had contacted certain business to update their business information and they stated clearly that they "didn't need us", yet a year out and they were out of business. Not always, but often. Some people were meant to be business owners and some weren't. If you can help it, it's always smart to make your business look viable on paper because you never know who is watching you or what opportunities you are missing.

D&B is a business that has been around since 1841. Yes, as a business, that means that services cost a fee, just like Experian, Equifax, etc. If another company reports you as a slow payer, it's gonna stay on your file unless you dispute it, and there is no fee for that.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Oh yeah, that really makes me feel better, a sales pitch from D&B on the scam thread.

The fact of the matter is, D&B called me, and specifically said there was a negative post to my credit file. This was false, there was no activity, its was just a sales pitch. To view my D&B file, I have to pay, so they scare you in thinking that something bad was posting hoping you take the bait and purchase your report.

How is that ethical and NOT a scam mister former D&B employee?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by essenz View Post
Oh yeah, that really makes me feel better, a sales pitch from D&B on the scam thread.

The fact of the matter is, D&B called me, and specifically said there was a negative post to my credit file. This was false, there was no activity, its was just a sales pitch. To view my D&B file, I have to pay, so they scare you in thinking that something bad was posting hoping you take the bait and purchase your report.

Well, you can take it or leave it, or KMA for all I care. I offered advice. I'm no longer employed with them and haven't been for quite awhile now, so there is no benefit to me for posting that information.

Like I stated before, they wouldn't have contacted you had someone NOT pulled a report on you, and whenever there is a LACK OF INFORMATION (to spell it out clearly for you), that equates to risk. Real business owners understand this, and this sets apart successful business owners from ones who are too cocky and think they understand everything...understanding enough to barely get by in business or even stay in business. If there WAS a negative post to your account, were you sure your "buddy" had pulled a full comprehensive report on your business (you do understand there are several different reports, don't you???)...

Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Just got the same call. I get this about every 6 months....
I own a 4 million dollar a year company, it is a private, not incorporated (DBA)

We routinely move $50,000 purchases, net 30, and yet he tells me they have me at "$1000 credit limit". My credit card has a $48,000 limit!

But there are "other issues" as well. Now I am a DBA, and my personal credit score is 815....

What got my goat was, he proceeded to tell me that all information he had on my company seems to be wrong, even the email address.

I told him That if he provides a serivce to his customers that is totally bogus and inaccurate, his customers will stop using his service. If I sell you information, and it is wrong, I dont stay in bussiness. His reply- we have been around for 100+ years, we are not going anywhere...

What bull.

I get the same pitch from the phone book, and all the web sites. If I do not pay to get in the book, my name does not show up. But guess what, if your phone book does not have all the numbers listed, people will stop using it (If I am looking for Pizza, and only the ones that pay are in the book...)

so, if my "competition" is using D and B to check me out, that must be why I am growing 30% a year, that must be why

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Allow me to clear things up. DnB supposedly contracts random outbound calling services to do their sales for them. They are unregulated and even more so unethical.

I sat down and listened in on one of them, and they would call business owners, not knowing a single thing about them or their business, and claim that they had negative inquiries on their credit report. If they wanted them to be fixed, they'd need to pay 350 for D&B services.

Another claimed that the information was listed inaccurately on D&B's database, and unless they paid 350 for their services, they wouldn't be recognized as a legitimate business.

I don't know whether D&B supports these outbound calling centers from using their name and such a horrible way, but if there's any connection between them, then it's D&B's fault for not thinking ahead on how important ethics are in sales. Never do ANY sales with D&B unless you're calling them.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Newbie Member

I've gotten the same inquiry calls too. They must just search through the corporate registers since one of my businesses that they called about is a single member LLC holding company that has no dealings, credit, or any other business interactions with anyone other than me.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I agree!

I get the same bogus calls from D&B and they make it so dramatic ..."We need to notify you about an Important/Critical issue on your report"..when I ask them what it is, they tell me to buy their service ($39/month for 3 months) in order to tell me what's going on..

What a scam...

It's mind boggling how all businesses in the US rely on this fraudulent company to report on their credit worthiness..

We, as a business, need to do something about these scam artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randp View Post
Just got the same call. I get this about every 6 months....
I own a 4 million dollar a year company, it is a private, not incorporated (DBA)

We routinely move $50,000 purchases, net 30, and yet he tells me they have me at "$1000 credit limit". My credit card has a $48,000 limit!

But there are "other issues" as well. Now I am a DBA, and my personal credit score is 815....

What got my goat was, he proceeded to tell me that all information he had on my company seems to be wrong, even the email address.

I told him That if he provides a serivce to his customers that is totally bogus and inaccurate, his customers will stop using his service. If I sell you information, and it is wrong, I dont stay in bussiness. His reply- we have been around for 100+ years, we are not going anywhere...

What bull.

I get the same pitch from the phone book, and all the web sites. If I do not pay to get in the book, my name does not show up. But guess what, if your phone book does not have all the numbers listed, people will stop using it (If I am looking for Pizza, and only the ones that pay are in the book...)

so, if my "competition" is using D and B to check me out, that must be why I am growing 30% a year, that must be why

Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

The government needs to investigate these people...our economy is based on Small Businesses and D&B is targeting them by injecting fear into them to buy their service...

We need to investigate D&B for their unethical behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSKing View Post
Allow me to clear things up. DnB supposedly contracts random outbound calling services to do their sales for them. They are unregulated and even more so unethical.

I sat down and listened in on one of them, and they would call business owners, not knowing a single thing about them or their business, and claim that they had negative inquiries on their credit report. If they wanted them to be fixed, they'd need to pay 350 for D&B services.

Another claimed that the information was listed inaccurately on D&B's database, and unless they paid 350 for their services, they wouldn't be recognized as a legitimate business.

I don't know whether D&B supports these outbound calling centers from using their name and such a horrible way, but if there's any connection between them, then it's D&B's fault for not thinking ahead on how important ethics are in sales. Never do ANY sales with D&B unless you're calling them.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Sounsd like, you are still working for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerD&B View Post
Well, you can take it or leave it, or KMA for all I care. I offered advice. I'm no longer employed with them and haven't been for quite awhile now, so there is no benefit to me for posting that information.

Like I stated before, they wouldn't have contacted you had someone NOT pulled a report on you, and whenever there is a LACK OF INFORMATION (to spell it out clearly for you), that equates to risk. Real business owners understand this, and this sets apart successful business owners from ones who are too cocky and think they understand everything...understanding enough to barely get by in business or even stay in business. If there WAS a negative post to your account, were you sure your "buddy" had pulled a full comprehensive report on your business (you do understand there are several different reports, don't you???)...

Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I agree...and guess what..I don't think he is a former Employee...the fact that he even chose the screen name "FormerEmployee" screams fraud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by essenz View Post

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

A. D&B is not held to the fair credit reporting act
B. they do offer a free report slick and it is accessible to you via the web
C. You are not required to do anything with them except update info.
D. Why wouldn't you give them info. they are creating a free listing for your business
E. The credit some of you speak of getting without doing anything to build it( I hate to break it to you but it is all going through personal.)
F.You have to understand they are a business too and there services offer you solutions to business needs, soooo maybe you should find out if it is beneficial to your business before you determine that you don't need them or for any matter want them .
G. They deal with millions of companies so yes some of the info. in your file may be wrong or outdated but thats because you take no ownership of it and allow it to be listed incorrectly.
H. Millions upon millions work closely with them to ensure the reports are accurate ( you are the minority)
I. they been around longer and have pretty much invented commercial credit so be thankful someone paved the way for some no name business to get recognition.
J. Over 160 years of operations and you think this is a scam " are you serious?"
K. It's your business and in the grand scheme for them your report may be pulled a handfull of times over the coarse of its life. If its being pulled its for a reason and its usualy to influnce a business deal. How economical is it to track down every mom and pop to shop and fully investigate their operations to show they are viable. THATS SHOULD BE IMPORTANT TO YOU NOT THEM.
L. I could go on but its getting late

Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 AM
SVP of Common Sense Group, Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiZwIz View Post
A. D&B is not held to the fair credit reporting act
B. they do offer a free report slick and it is accessible to you via the web
C. You are not required to do anything with them except update info.
D. Why wouldn't you give them info. they are creating a free listing for your business
E. The credit some of you speak of getting without doing anything to build it( I hate to break it to you but it is all going through personal.)
F.You have to understand they are a business too and there services offer you solutions to business needs, soooo maybe you should find out if it is beneficial to your business before you determine that you don't need them or for any matter want them .
G. They deal with millions of companies so yes some of the info. in your file may be wrong or outdated but thats because you take no ownership of it and allow it to be listed incorrectly.
H. Millions upon millions work closely with them to ensure the reports are accurate ( you are the minority)
I. they been around longer and have pretty much invented commercial credit so be thankful someone paved the way for some no name business to get recognition.
J. Over 160 years of operations and you think this is a scam " are you serious?"
K. It's your business and in the grand scheme for them your report may be pulled a handfull of times over the coarse of its life. If its being pulled its for a reason and its usualy to influnce a business deal. How economical is it to track down every mom and pop to shop and fully investigate their operations to show they are viable. THATS SHOULD BE IMPORTANT TO YOU NOT THEM.
L. I could go on but its getting late

You must work for D&B. There is absolutely no way in hell you would be so oblivious to their shady ways unless you had a vested interest.

They email me once every 2 months in a manner that would suggest something is wrong and needs updating. Only to try to whack me for $200 just to see my report that hasn't changed in years and is so rediculously inaccurate its scary. Not to mention you can pay them to make up credit lines..

D&B is quite possibly the biggest scam out there. Noone uses them as a basis for judging your credit worth. They always look at your personal credit.. period. Once you're big enough and your P&L/BS numbers contain numbers in the millions (2-3+) it doesn't matter anymore. I've been approved for commercial property and 50-100k lines at banks/etc based on P&L/BS and Tax returns.. not once has our D&B been pulled. Noboddy reports to D&B.. unless they themselves are using it as a sales/scam tool such as ULine.. god knows ULine uses that as a tool for marketing ("We report to your D&B!")..

EDIT:

I would like to add that the CONCEPT of D&B is great. Its the execution that's poor and unethical. D&B pitches you on the concept.. not their execution.

Last edited by MikeInTheBay : 03-17-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I get the same call from Dumb & Fraudstreet about every 3 or 4 months. Only I am told, by a person, that there has been a spiked increase in businesses asking for credit on my company. They tell me it is over 25 companies. If it is spiking up, why do they continue to tell me it is 25 company's every time?

Further, they say I need to update my information because D & B has me listed for only $5,000 credit. My business generates $10 million in sales every year, for the last 8 years. I never needed Dumb before, and do not need them now or in the future.

Oh, and the sales people sound like they are working in a sweat shop. No thank you!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 AM
I am new at Scam.com

We got the call in December 2010. Due to the nature of our business (working with the government) we saw the value and joined. However, WHAT A FREAKING NIGHTMARE!!!!! I have requested my website address be changed at least 3 times, still not done. Since December we keep getting this slow pay report, which we dispute. Heck, we only cut about 20 checks a month! We simply don't have a lot of payables. I KNOW the report is incorrect. Through a dispute process, I found out who it was and contacted them. They say it is not supposed to be there. I have gotten the ROYAL run around since then. D&B tells me I need to talk to the Trade Department to get it blocked. The the number they give me to the Trade Deaprtment is not the Trade Department oh and now the Trade Department does not have phones in their group. NONE, now they are not allowed to give me their last names. They are completely clueless and USELESS.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I got my quarterly "scare tactic" phone call today. The price to fix the problem has risen to $549. The tactic used was that four suppliers/business contacts have reported our company as more than 19 days late on scheduled payments. Interesting, since I have only ONE OUTSTANDING LINE OF CREDIT with a bank and that payment is AUTOMATICALLY TAKEN FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT each month on its due date. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Just to add--the background noise does sound a lot like a boiler-room/sweatshop operation. You'd think at the very least they could afford soundproofing pads in the call center.

Last edited by Waikiki : 04-13-2011 at 10:02 AM.