report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Corporate Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Platinum Service Dubuque Iowa They will suck you

These people will suck you dry and embarrass you in the process.
They also decieve you about the pay, make inconsistent statements
about pay, and they while they are recruinting you, they never want to reveal to you
about how much you are supposed to get paid.
I spoke to four different people within the company regarding pay as
an indpendent contractor for Platinum, and I was told four different things.
I hope that anyone thinking of working for these people (you most
likely got one of Keith's ads in the newspaper) googles Platinum scam
before even wasting the time to go meet them at an "interview" at
some Holiday Inn express hotel.
First off, when you fist call them and answer their ad, they will
tell you to meet them at a Holiday Inn Express. And they will refuse
to give you any information about the job, they'll make you have to
meet them hotel to get any information about the job. Then when
you get to the hotel, you are going to meet this clean cut guy, he's
a very good presenter, and very convincing. He'll convince you that
the pay is soooo good, and that you can make 100K+ a year. Which,
I don't believe to be true. Then he'll tell you you need to pay 115 dollars
for the at home course fee for the accident and health license, 103 to take the test, then 180 to get the license.
And you'll get absolutely no help form these people in any capacity.
It is soley commision based, and you won't get paid if you don't make
sales. And even if you do get sales, they're not going to be clear
about what percentage of commisions are due to you. Which means
they can do whatever they want to you.
Platinum services in Dubuque Iowa is an insurance marketer for Dubuque, Iowa, they contract under Guarantee Life Insurance, who is from Glenview Illinois. In another words, Platinum is not even the actual insurance company
(ensurance entity) who you will be soliciting insurance premiums for.
This is important because this means that the company all this is saying is
that platinum is the middleman who will recieve an unfair cut out of every cent that you are even lucky make when you go door to door knocking on
complete stangers doors.
Wayne Briggs is the guy that owns it, but Keith Lucy and Dan McFarlane
do all the hiring with new recruits. Once you pay your different fees,
Ketih and Dan drop you like a hot potato, and put you on a different
stranger from within the company. I worked with a guy named Craig Balser, and he kept pressing me on their script. The script is outrageous because
you have to memorize 4 pages by your first day on the job, and if you don't memorize by that first Monday, you don't get the 100 dollar "bonus". It's pathetic.
On top of that it is only commision based, and they brainwash you about their
script, and make it more important than it really is. If anything you could
just as easily read the script to the client, and it would be the same as
memorizing it anyways.
Also the main problem I have with Platinum is that they will make you literally
go out in the wilderness alone after one or two weeks of training. Here is
what the real deal is: they give you a map for a specific township that you
are assigned to (you cannot leave your assigned area), and they make you
go to these far out farms and rural areas that are out in no mans land.
Not so bad so far? You may say not so bad. Here is the kicker:
They make you go to these people's homes on the farm unnotified!
That's right, that make you go to these peoples homes with no prior
appointment, no notification, not knowing anybody, no nothing!
It is not a good idea to just go to a farmers home unnotified,
I know because I have had experience with this. Most of the
time the people you uninvingly visit are not home, either that or
they get scared because they think you want to rob them or
take some of their crops or something like that.
It may be harmless to do this once or twice, or for even a couple of weeks,
but when someone consistently solicits door to door to different farm homes,
its not doing anything but asking for trouble. Doing something like that
on a consistent basis week after week, month after month, just is not safe.
Especially when they make you go door to door all alone by yourself,
defenseless, with no one else with you, when you go to these people's home
unexpectantly and without any prior permission whatsoever.
Its especially dangerous doing this with farm people, because they
are out in the wilderness all alone, and are suspicous anyways, so
they are going to be funny about you solicting to them at their door,
with no prior notice. No one is doing this sort of work, because it is
flat out dangerous and unsafe, not only that, it is risking your life
going out to people homes in the wilderness, with nothing, not even
an extra agent with you to help you when you go door to door for them.
They make you stay at the Holiday Inn for 50 dollars a night for a
3 to 4 nights every week, even if you live in or close to your assigned
region.

Oh yeah, one last thing, they provide you no company car, no help with attaining state licensing
no spending money, no cell phone, no uniform, no nothing, no food money
and most importantly no help with the overnight stays in the Holiday Inn,
which by the way, comes out of your pocket for 50 dollars a night for 3 to 4 nights. So we are talking at least 400 dollars just in hotel money for your
first two weeks, and remaining weeks thereafter working with these folks.
Well I already blew hundreds of dollars on them, and I would not want this
happing to anyone else.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Platinum Service Dubuque Iowa They will suck y

You sound like someone who definitely does not belong in sales - or should pursue a 30-40K sales job with benefits. Insurance as an industry can be tough - yeah, you need to work your ass off, but if you follow their system there is a ton of money to be made. It's like anything where if you want bigger rewards, you have to work harder and go outside your comfort zone. You are very clearly unwilling to do that or take any responsibility for yourself, so you made the right choice in leaving the company.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Why didn't you report it to BBB? So the complaint is logged with them and many other's who go there for that purpose?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Sales is more about listening than speaking. Obviously, you did not listen during the recruitment process...nor during the training process...nor during the morning huddles...nor during the nightly check-ins...nor to your team-mates. Thankfully you've chosen another career, both for you and us. We see many of you new recruits come out to the field and join the team....with dollar signs in your eyes...and thinking that it's easy. IT ISN'T! That's why their is money involved. Those of us who WORK the system, who have bled-sweat-cried-wallowed-endured, we prosper because of the system and because of those who've came before us and sacrificed to give us a system that works. No you won't make 6 figures your first year....but you should your second...and your third...and fourth....and fifth....and then...if you've worked....truly worked.....RETIRE if you want and go do something else....and keep your renewals. Hmmmm. Many do not make it because it isn't easy. It's frikkin hard. You're on the road, away from your family, your kids, your friends. You work 15+hours a day. You hear "No, we're not interested!" more than you'd like. However, farmers and people in the rural areas ARE THE SALT OF THE EARTH!!! They are always the ones to help you when in need, to allow you in their home, to give you time even when they're busy. Please don't diminish the rural folks characters because of your own biases and fears.

This is the greatest company to work for if you are going to do this type of work. Wayne, Eric, Mike and the rest are the most family oriented and honest guys that I've ever worked for. Don't blemmish Platinum, my second family, because of your short experience....and don't prevent others from trying it and possibly changing their lives for the better forever.

Last edited by PlatinumAgent : 10-14-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Did not finish

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I am new at Scam.com

(Your comments in black)These people will suck you dry and embarrass you in the process.What on earth are you talking about i have worked for them for 10 months and this has never happened to me or anyone on the 2 teams i have worked with.
They also decieve you about the pay, make inconsistent statements
about pay, and they while they are recruinting you, they never want to reveal to you
about how much you are supposed to get paid. That is complete horse feathers perhaps you are just not a good listener!
I spoke to four different people within the company regarding pay as
an indpendent contractor for Platinum, and I was told four different things.
I hope that anyone thinking of working for these people (you most
likely got one of Keith's ads in the newspaper) googles Platinum scam
before even wasting the time to go meet them at an "interview" at
some Holiday Inn express hotel. This is standard procedure or would you rather travel at your expense to Dubuque Iowa for an interveiw in their opulent office building.
First off, when you fist call them and answer their ad, they will
tell you to meet them at a Holiday Inn Express. And they will refuse
to give you any information about the job, they'll make you have to
meet them hotel to get any information about the job. Then when
you get to the hotel, you are going to meet this clean cut guy, he's
a very good presenter, and very convincing. That is because he is a professional and he has made a sucessful career in this industry. He'll convince you that
the pay is soooo good, and that you can make 100K+ a year. Which,
I don't believe to be true. Well it is true as I said I have worked for this company for 10 months, I was skilled but destitute when I started and now I have bought a car and a home of my own, I am a single female. Then he'll tell you you need to pay 115 dollars If you choose to use theirs. You can obtain it from other sources if you desire. This is the most concise though, i know i bought it and
not only was it more concise it was also cheaper. They have made it easy for you, you dummy. They are helping you starting out.
for the at home course fee for the accident and health license, 103 to take the test, then 180 to get the license. $103 for the test and $180 for the licence is required by the state not Platinum . You would have to do this no matter what insurance company you wanted to work for.
And you'll get absolutely no help form these people in any capacity. HOGWASH! did you just attend and interveiw and make assumptions?
It is soley commision based, Yes industry standard and you won't get paid if you don't make
sales. NAR DAH -Of course dopey!
And even if you do get sales, they're not going to be clear
about what percentage of commisions are due to you. That is an absolute lie everybody starts on the same level and then it increases in 6 months , then again in 12 months, but you would not know that you did not stick around to see just how full the glass is , because yours is still draining. Which means
they can do whatever they want to you. Crap!, you read and sign an agreement that clearly sets out your commission structure before you even start. It protects you and the company.
Platinum services in Dubuque Iowa is an insurance marketer for Dubuque, Iowa, they contract under Guarantee Life Insurance, who is from Glenview Illinois. In another words, Platinum is not even the actual insurance company
(ensurance entity) Really, No *#it Sherlock if you knew anything about the insurance industry you would understand that is exactly how it works for all of them. GTL is the underwriter that is insurance speak numb nuts for the company that owns the policies and pays out the big bucks. that who you will be soliciting "Providing" insurance premiums for.
This is important because this means that the company all this is saying is
that platinum is the middleman who will recieve an unfair UNFAIR!!! They provide all the product training , journals, Brochures, paperwork, support. Give you a paid very opulent holiday every year. to you cut out of every cent that you are even lucky to
make when you go door to door knocking on complete stangers doors.
There is no luck involved here, you are trained and skilled at what we do. You must by law maintain a level of licensing and continued education to keep your insurance licence, luck does not play into this. We provide a much needed service. Unless you knock on these doors and provide this information how else would people know? Sure the company can place TV adds at extra expense to the client then no one could afford it. They find out everything in the comfort of their own surroundings and they have not had to make appointments and be intimidated in foreign surroundings in some cold office somewhere. This is important stuff you wally. Unless you have had the experience of finding out first hand how much this has helped some poor unfortunate person that has had to use it you will never be able to see the benefits. I have it was very rewarding knowing you helped save someones home and family from bankruptcy.
You are clearly disgruntled and quite wrong. I wish i could sue you! for these misleading comments to both prospective clients and prospective staff. You are obviously disgruntled and have no idea what you are on about. You really do not have a grasp of how this company/industry works.
I love my career and I have had the pleasure/ opportunity to meet a large cross section of people from all demographics.
I am a country girl myself and let me inform you that Farming and people in rural communities are no fools.
If you work hard in this business there is not just a lot of money to be made but also a lot of respect in the industry from other companies.
Platinum Services in Dubuque Iowa has an exemplary record. It has no unresolved law suits or grievances with their clientele. We state this at every home and so would not be able to make these claims lawfully if it were not true. It would make no sense. Get on with your pathetic existence and stop badmouthing something you have no grasp of.oh and learn to spell check and type! PION

Last edited by britia : 02-25-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Whatever . . . you are such a whiny, lazy moron. I had to stop after the first month of trying, but I still saw the potential. I'll bet you have never had to work hard a day in your life. Platinum Services is a real, honest-to-gosh company that pays extremely well to those who have what it takes. Obviously you didn't and don't have the balls to admit it. You just took the easy route and blamed it all on the company. Real mature, dude. I didn't make it -- not because Platinum was preying on me, but because I'm not a hardcore salesperson. I'm too laid back. I had to admit I wasn't cut out for that line of work and move on -- and I moved on with respect for the company and respect from my supervisor.

Also, you're obviously a hopeless city slicker. You portray rural people as paranoid and potentially psychotic hillbillies. Again . . . you're an idiot. If I had to guess, I'd say you're the one who was jumpy and paranoid. Yeah, you run across some cranks and maybe some timid types, but that's what happens when you're knocking on dozens of doors every day. All the rest can be really nice, fun people if you approach them right. All you have to do is wear a smile, look them in the eye, and be open and honest. I had some extremely pleasant conversations, shared good laughs, and received a plethora of firm, hearty handshakes.

Grow up, man. It's not Platinum you have an issue with -- it's the sales world. Stop badmouthing and admit that you're a snot-nosed wuss.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I am new at Scam.com

You're an idiot. A company that requests that you meet one of their reps or HR persons at a hotel? How is that so odd? Job fairs are held often at hotels. Furthermore, Platinum does business and hires people to be agents all over the midwest. Instead of having you drive to corp HQ's in Iowa they meet you at a hotel, duh!!?/

And a far as paying for your own own study materials, paying for your own state test! oh no! That is a typical practice in the insurance industry. They aren't scamming you, just requesting that you make an investment in yourself and your future.

And needing help to pass the state insurance exam??!! What are they going to do hold your hand? My god! Take some ownership.

By the way.. I met with Mark B. from Platinum Services 5 weeks ago, was offered a job, studied hard for the test and easily passed the exam on first attempt. No one held my hand while preparing studying for 3 weeks. I studied hard and long probably 60+ hours over those 3 weeks and took nearly 80 pages of notes on 8 1/2 by 11" legal pad. It's called working towards a goal and investing in yourself.

You were simply lloking for someone to hold your hand and an easy meal ticket. I 'll be glad to be taking the job you left on Mon.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I also worked very briefly for them. The actual job was not quite what the recruiter promised. I was basically dropped off in a territory with no leads and no identification as to who I was, etc.,. Essentially I was cold calling 100%. I was also not thrilled with the method that I was taught to use in order to get into the home which was was to state that "many people in the area wanted me to drop this information with you". If the customer asked me "who sent you"? I was told to state that "because of privacy laws I cannot tell you". To me, this was lying and not professional. I just felt uncomfortable with the whole process which to me seemed highly deceptive.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Also, I forgot to mention that the recruiter, Mark Headrick, gets paid $800.00 for every person he puts out in the field. If I was paid that much money I would probably put anything with a pulse out there. The $3,000.00 incentive is a gimmick as well. It's only from month 2 through 12 and you have to make at least 12 presentations a week to get it, although it is unclear how they would actually verify how you made those presentations. I asked them why the $3,000.00 was not offered in the first month and they stated that there was enough bonus money offered during that month to cover that. I looked at the numbers and did not see that at all. It just did not add up. To sum it up, I guess I should have known better. As my Team Leader stated (who by the way, makes money off of you and will get your business if you quit),: "If we told you the truth about this job, would you have taken it"? Nope. I sure would'nt.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just had a gentleman from Platinum Services Inc at my door. I did not speak with him long, as I was unsure of what he was offering. Also, my husband was sleeping. It was my understanding that he was trying to sell me Cancer, Heart and Stroke insurance. I am deeply involved with a volunteer cancer foundation, so I agreed to allow him to come back tomorrow morning, when my husband would be home. So, I immediately jumped on the internet...
Now I'm not sure I did the right thing. Is he trying to recruit me as an employee? (I'm not interested, but he did ask what I do for work) Or is he trying to sell me insurance? (Still not interested in purchasing, but wanted to see what he had to offer and if legite, I would share with those I thought could benefit).
When I asked for any information on the company, he told me he did not have any. No brochures, business cards? hmmm
I did look on the BBB-nothing major. However, when I google complaints about the company, I consistently see the same complaints, on this website as well as others. They all pertain to employment. Then I see responses that are from Platinum employees that are very inappropriate: name calling, cursing, etc....all very unprofessional and unbecoming of a company employee. Not a way to handle complaints about your company.
Either way, I guess I will find out tomorrow just what this man from Platinum Services Inc wants from me.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow!! I only have a few things to say. As someone that is very familiar with Platinum Supplemental Insurance, I know first hand of their business practices. The insurance industry is a highly regulated industry and therefore there can be no misleading information supplied by an insurance company without severe consequences. Yes, Platinum provides an incredibly beneficial policy that is underwritten by GTL. There will never be a business with clients or customers that will satisfy 100% of them.
I know that all customer's concerns and/or complaints have been satisfied in a positive light. The complaints were almost always due to miscommunication and have been minor. As for the agents, I personally know of many who have gone from near poverty to very wealthy. Yes, it requires hard work. Everyone wants to make 100K a year or more, but not many want to work for it. If you have a good work ethic and a desire to succeed, then Platinum is able and willing to offer you everything you need to be highly successful.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I had a very bad experience with Platinum. An agent name of Keith Lucy came to my home selling his product.
I made him well aware that I had been diagnosed with 2 tumors on a kidney. I had NOT been diagnosed with cancer yet. Mr. Lucy repeatedly told me that as long as there had been no diagnosis of cancer, I was eligible to purchase the policy, and that it WOULD PAY me if my tumors were cancer. Three months later I had the kidney surgically removed. The labs came back positive for cancer. Platinum and GTL denied my claim of $15,000 saying I had a pre-existing condition. They have a clause in the policy stating that if the claim is denied due to a pre-existing condition you can cancel and get all your premiums back. Now they say that since I filed a complaint with the Iowa and Illinois Insurance Commissioners they can't give me my money back.
I have had nothing but a bad experience with this company. I wish I had never met Keith Lucy. I hope that the Insurance Commissioner will pull his license and fine him till he's flat broke. He deserves it.

Last edited by bcoop : 02-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Platinum Service Dubuque Iowa They will suck you

I worked for them, briefly, I might add. I think these simpletons should look at a dictionary for the term "pressure" instead of trying to redefine it. If these guys showed up at my door, I'd give them about 30 secomds to get off my property. Keith Lucy, who claims to be respectful, would get back in the car ngand if someone turned js down they were usually referred to as "f*****s or some other term. Want to talk to your family? Text your kids? You might want to rethink that. These guys are cutthroat. There was a large snowfall at one community we were at and although they say they're concerned with your safety? They're not. Imagine trying to drive hp a long farm driveway that hasn't been plowed, in a front wheel drive. Oh, by the way, I was informed by Keith that those no trespassing signs were in place for hunters, not insurance representatives. It's a schister business, full of high pressure, misleading statements and, let's say "different" people, Keith.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Another point: if you're thinking about working for Platinum, I hope you enjoy working 12+ hours everyday because guaranteed, no doubt about, you will.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The representative PROMISED me I would not do any cold calling sales. It would be referrers. And all the out of pocket expenses are not good when you are unemployed with no money such as myself.I don't like to be deceived when giving a job offer. I am glad I read this. I will NOT pursue employment with a company that lies in order to get you to join them.