report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Newbie Member

GMR Transcription appears to be a scam

Watch out for GMR Transcription. They say they hire transcriptionists. You transcribe a sample audio and then they immediately send it back and say you made several errors, yet they will not let you see the corrections! Then right below that message, there is a place you can click on to "become a certified transcriptionist." That leads you to a site where you can PAY for a course in transcription. I have been transcribing for major companies for 30 plus years. I have a bachelor's degree in business. Yet my sample was immediately turned down by them. I hate to see these scams out there when people need jobs so badly. It's just not fair. I wish we could stop them.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: GMR Transcription appears to be a scam

GMR is not a scam. I worked for them for quite a while in the past, and if you visit different work at home forums, you will find quite a few people that either work for GMR or have in the past.

I really hate the fact that they push that transcription course and I think it makes them look really bad, but they are a legitimate transcription company.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I also think it is a scam. I wonder if they do transcription at all, but are just in business to sell the course. I know I followed the instructions impeccably. The rejection letter contained four grammatical errors. If they were a legitimate transcription company wanting perfect transcribers, their rejection letter would be perfect. Here's the letter:
Thank you for testing with GMR Transcription!

We regret to inform you that your test did not meet our stringent criteria. Please find below the reasons why you did not pass our test.
Misheard Words – Accuracy is the most important part of transcribing. Misheard words could change the whole meaning of a sentence and you must type accurately in order to join the GMR team. GMR guarantees 98% accuracy to our clients and cannot afford to hire someone who mishears words.

Properties Box Incorrect - We clearly asked you to make sure the propertied box is correct in both the style guide and the letter with instructions. No doing so, shows lack of being able to follow directions.

Wrong Duration or Did not Include Duration - Formatting instructions must be followed correctly. No doing so, shows lack of being able to follow directions.

Should you wish to test with us again within 90 days of this date, please resubmit your resume under the ''Careers'' section of our website? You will automatically qualify to join as our independent contractor transcriptionist if you get certified by Transcription Certification Institute.

If you feel you could benefit from a course on general transcription you can visit Transcription Certification Institute (TCI). GMR Transcription Services Inc. would reimburse your registration fee of $199 if you get certified by TCI and join our roster as an intern. See our terms for reimbursement by clicking here.

Please note that this assumes that you have not been reimbursed by another transcription company for the certificate. TCI reimburses only one Transcription Company for its certified transcriptionist.

Again, thank you for testing with GMR Transcription, and we only wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

GMR Transcription
www.gmrtranscription.com
Click Here to Become a Certified Transcriber!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I work for GMR and have for almost 2 years now. They are a great company to work for and I can tell you that it is NOT a scam. Just because you didn't qualify to work with the company doesn't mean that they are not legit. Perhaps you should reapply after the 90 days and follow the instructions that were sent to you in the first place instead of being bitter about it.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

GMR is not a scam. I took the test and passed. You obviously did something wrong, or your skills are not as good as you think they are.

They're a legitimate company with legitimate work. I'm quite happy there.

Maybe you should try again.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I don't think it's fair to belittle people who have a complaint against a company. I was considering testing with GMR but I clicked on the careers page and saw this message:

Click Here To View Our Typist's Testimonials

Hmmm. Do they have only one typist? It's a little disconcerting to see a typo like that on a transcription company's website.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

GMR has chosen not to hire me, and the reasons they provide are simply not true. They claim that my practice transcription was unacceptable, stating that I "misheard words" and did not use their template. Indeed, I did use their template, carefully following each instruction included with their template and accompanying style guide. As for "misheard words", I would be interested to know what they are.

You see, although the quality of their practice audio was quite poor, in the course of researching names contained therein (standard practice for a professional transcriptionist), I was delighted to find online a video of the conference from which apparently GMR extracted the audio file they then provided to me. The audio portion of the video was crystal clear. After several careful reviews of this online version of the audio along with an additional several careful reviews of GMR's, I am convinced that the transcription sample I returned to them contained exactly zero mistakes.

Zero mistakes.

In addition, upon hearing the website version of this audio, I became convinced that GMR recorded their version externally from the website, adding noise and distortions externally, as could anyone with an internet connection and external recorder. I found this rather discomforting when contrasted with my extensive prior experience providing transcription for other, established, reputable companies. Companies for whom I have worked and still work always have a legitimate practice file, recorded in the field and provided ** a client with the client's permission. As the recording provided ** GMR does not sound to be original, I wonder whether the institution from which this audio was extracted is even GMR's client at all. My guess is no.

I do not know the real reason why GMR failed to hire me, but I am glad they did. I wish to avoid contact with an unscrupulous or at least unreliable business. GMR provided blatantly false information to justify their decision. I do not know if this was simply a careless error or willful deception, but it is unnecessary and unacceptable in any case. Better that they had provided no justification rather than false justification, or even to not have contacted me at all.

I most certainly will not reapply to GMR in 90 days or at any time in the future. I do not want to work for them under any circumstances, nor would I hire them to provide any services. GMR not only insulted my professionalism, they also wasted my time. Don't let them waste yours.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

How much are they paying for the job. I think if it is a good amount then you can go for it.