report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Avon Cosmetics Scam?

i am an avon rep, the best thing about it is that we get a special cataloge just for us to order from , for instance, if i want to buy the (awesome) dandruff shampoo i use i can get it for 1.79 head and shoulders is like almost 4 bucks now! i can get the best water proof mascara from same book for 2.50 where as loreal at walgreens is 8 to 12 bucks! plus they advertise for us and have lots of celebs promoting their lines too, like reese witherspoon and patrick dempsey and his make up artist wife.
this month i got reeses perfume, bodyu wash and lotion along with patrick dempseys new cologne all of that (and its not available to the public yet) for 33 dollars! they are all full sizes too. my reg. discount is 33% when i have a $60 order and more if its over that. i have at least a $80 order every 2 weeks. its a great way for me to get my own beauty supplies for much cheaper than i would at walmart and its only 10 bucks to sign up! you never have to order inventory and they do NOT charge a fee right now if you sign up to be an "e-rep" which is being online. so really its a win-win for me! you get out of it what you put into it just like any business.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Avon is not a scam, it is a fun company for those who do like to go door to door! It is just their compensation plan that suffers! If you are planning on building an organization, forget it as you will reap small rewards compared to most comp plans that are much better! My mother in law does it and would never do another MLM program just because she likes to chat with women!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapro48 View Post
Avon is not a scam, it is a fun company for those who do like to go door to door! It is just their compensation plan that suffers! If you are planning on building an organization, forget it as you will reap small rewards compared to most comp plans that are much better! My mother in law does it and would never do another MLM program just because she likes to chat with women!

Agree 100% My wife's friend does, and enjoys it tremendously. And she knows she'll never get rich from it.
Thise links basically had comments that looks like it waas written by Amway IBO's.
About 10 minutes later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool44
Learn to read you fvcking moron. I never claimed those pages were from IBO's.
And he admits to changing people's posts!
Quote:
By the way, I only change links when people make personal (unsubstantiated) attacks on me. I find it works quite effectively when I employ that tactic.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Diamond Member

Avon buys Silpada

I heard this on my local news yesterday.

I thought oh my there are people posting on Scam that say all MLM's are a scam.

Silpada Jewelry was started by two women in Lenexa, Kansas.

They just sold this company for 650 million dollars.

After hearing the story and reading this article I just posted I would say no way is this MLM company a scam.

Please explain if you feel all MLM companies are a scam how this company could be nothing but a great opportunity.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...cosmetics.html

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
The fly in your Anti-MLM ointment...

Re: Avon buys Silpada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I heard this on my local news yesterday.

I thought oh my there are people posting on Scam that say all MLM's are a scam.

Silpada Jewelry was started by two women in Lenexa, Kansas.

They just sold this company for 650 million dollars.

After hearing the story and reading this article I just posted I would say no way is this MLM company a scam.

Please explain if you feel all MLM companies are a scam how this company could be nothing but a great opportunity.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...cosmetics.html
Thanks for posting that Tulip.

I was considering when I saw THIS over at WatchDog.com this morning. (Though Rod's WatchDog site does indicate it was 65 Million, which is a mistake apparently)

650 million too!

I can hear them now,"another one of those, "chump change" MLM's trying to get some credibility, huh?!"

I'm curious to see if any of the Anti-MLM crowd will even respond. I'm sure they'll put a really nice negative spin on it to justify their strange, extremist position.

Thanks Tulip!

Kerry
― Criss Jami
BEWARE:Joecool44, aka 'joecool', anti-MLM fanatic, Trolls here anonymously!!
Click Here!
Joecools ugliest LIE!...~"I'm not hiding my identity."
Some common sense Re:MLM/DS can be found, here...!! Click Here

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
Thanks for posting that Tulip.

I was considering when I saw THIS over at WatchDog.com this morning. (Though Rod's WatchDog site does indicate it was 65 Million, which is a mistake apparently)

650 million too!

I can hear them now,"another one of those, "chump change" MLM's trying to get some credibility, huh?!"

I'm curious to see if any of the Anti-MLM crowd will even respond. I'm sure they'll put a really nice negative spin on it to justify their strange, extremist position.

Thanks Tulip!

Kerry
I just went to their website. I need to do some research on this company. I will post more after I research. I really hope some people post cause I find this all very interesting.

I love silver jewelry but I am very picky.
I buy my silver jewelry from S un dance catalog. If this is good silver jewelry and from what I have seen it looks to be very nice, I could see this being a great job.

People love jewelry. Especailly affordable jewelry. I cannot beleive I have never heard of this company. Because of Scam I took notice when I heard of these two women who started this company and have made it such a success. Then I thought about those that post on this forum and say all MLM's are scams. I know they are not.

I worked for a woman whose daughter sold Amway. This woman was making good good money selling Amway. I don't know enough facts to post about it but I do know at the time she was making very good money.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Diamond Member

Hmm, here is one thing that bugs me about Silpada, no online catalog. You have to contact a rep in order to see their catalog and prices.

As far as jewelry companies - a lot of them are pricey. I really like some of Lia Sophia's jewelry but the stuff is EXPENSIVE and I can't for the life of me justify spending $80 on a necklace.

I've peeked at Guy & Eva and I have to say their prices are far more reasonable than a lot of the other jewelry companies I've seen.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I just went to their website. I need to do some research on this company. I will post more after I research.
What does that entail, research?

Quote:
I really hope some people post cause I find this all very interesting.

I love silver jewelry but I am very picky.
I buy my silver jewelry from S un dance catalog. If this is good silver jewelry and from what I have seen it looks to be very nice, I could see this being a great job.

People love jewelry. Especailly affordable jewelry. I cannot beleive I have never heard of this company. Because of Scam I took notice when I heard of these two women who started this company and have made it such a success. Then I thought about those that post on this forum and say all MLM's are scams. I know they are not.
They are NOT ALL SCAMS, contrary to what certain members here spout.

Quote:
I worked for a woman whose daughter sold Amway. This woman was making good good money selling Amway. I don't know enough facts to post about it but I do know at the time she was making very good money.
Cool!

Sounds like you may have something for yourself.

Good Luck to you in your efforts. If it's a product you'd use and happily recommend yourself, with or without a business, that's half the "battle" right there!

Here's to your success!

Kerry
― Criss Jami
Click Here!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
I know a few ladies in Silpada, and a couple others in other jewelry companies...

I don't see them as much different than any other mlm.

You have touched on something that is more than beneficial in mlm, an interest in the product, intention to be a consumer, and a passion for the product.

Now if you were to just do a few parties...just get maybe the jewelry you want at a50% discount....

The anti mlmers here will call you a cultist and a failure...

Because you will be happy with your decision and have not 'made' any money.
My very first job years ago was selling sportswear. I loved fashion. I was good at sales and did window display and also modeling for the shop I worked at. I then went on to better jobs and eventually a buyer. I had a passion for the job and did very well.

This job working for Silpada would take work and a love for the product. I could see this kind of job working out and someone being very successful. Of course in sales you have good times and bad times.

With Silpada you make 35% of your sales. It says an average party is $950 so you would make 35% of the sales.

I just cannot imagine having a jewelry party with good silver jewelry and not selling a substantial amount.

I can see where you would have to spend time and money advertising and get a customer base but this particular company just sounds like it would work.

If you were doing something you really enjoyed having bad times and not making any money would be ok as long as there were more good times.

I hope to hear from one of the anti MLMers.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Hmm, here is one thing that bugs me about Silpada, no online catalog.
I guess it bugged Avon too! Enough to buy it!

Quote:
You have to contact a rep in order to see their catalog and prices.
If the original owners/founders built it into a company big enough for Avon to want to buy it for 650 Million bucks, they must have been doing something right!

Besides, with this new buyout, the catalog dynamic's sure to change with Avon I'd suspect!

Quote:
As far as jewelry companies - a lot of them are pricey. I really like some of Lia Sophia's jewelry but the stuff is EXPENSIVE and I can't for the life of me justify spending $80 on a necklace.

I've peeked at Guy & Eva and I have to say their prices are far more reasonable than a lot of the other jewelry companies I've seen.
I wonder if that'll change with Avon at the helm?

Kerry
― Criss Jami
Click Here!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
My very first job years ago was selling sportswear. I loved fashion. I was good at sales and did window display and also modeling for the shop I worked at. I then went on to better jobs and eventually a buyer. I had a passion for the job and did very well.

This job working for Silpada would take work and a love for the product. I could see this kind of job working out and someone being very successful. Of course in sales you have good times and bad times.

With Silpada you make 35% of your sales. It says an average party is $950 so you would make 35% of the sales.

I just cannot imagine having a jewelry party with good silver jewelry and not selling a substantial amount.

I can see where you would have to spend time and money advertising and get a customer base but this particular company just sounds like it would work.

If you were doing something you really enjoyed having bad times and not making any money would be ok as long as there were more good times.

I hope to hear from one of the anti MLMers.
I looked on ebay to see how much Silpada jewelry was selling there... it's pricey. (Well, for me it's pricey.) I would NEVER pay $70 for a bracelet or $25 for hoop earings, and I have to purchase hypo-allergenic earrings.

Since you purchase your jewelry from Sun Dance (why is that word censored??), which is pricey too, I don't think it will make a big difference to you. However, right now more than ever, I've noticed that women aren't laying down big bucks for quality jewelry. I have 2 family members that are Lia Sophia reps and I know another woman who used to be one. Out of the 3 of them only one of them had reached the average party amount (with Lia Sophia it's $750). She reached it a couple times, however she had also tapped out every person she knew. I know one woman who hosted a party and reached the average, however her wealthy mother-in-law purchased over $600 in jewelry so it didn't take much.

If you're looking for a jewelry company I recommend www.wahm.com/forum - they have a jewelry company section and it's a good site for information as well as to ask questions as there are usually reps for companies on there.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
I guess it bugged Avon too! Enough to buy it!

If the original owners/founders built it into a company big enough for Avon to want to buy it for 650 Million bucks, they must have been doing something right!

Besides, with this new buyout, the catalog dynamic's sure to change with Avon I'd suspect!

I wonder if that'll change with Avon at the helm?

Kerry
I hope it changes, however from what I've read management at the company is going to stay the same. I'm sure some minor changes will happen but it doesn't like there will be any major shifts.

Apparently Tupperware did something similar awhile ago and bought BeautiControl. Some small changes were implemented with BeautiControl, but nothing major.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hmm, here is one thing that bugs me about Silpada, no online catalog. You have to contact a rep in order to see their catalog and prices.

I am not familiar with the companies you mentioned. Most of my jewelry has been gifts from my husband. I have bought jewelry I just did not like that much after buying it. Silver needs to be heavy or it bends. Stones cost quite a bit if they are good stones and well diamonds forget it, way to much money for our budget.

I would need to see this jewelry cause there is so much I do not care for. Kind of like shoes and purses and clothes. Much I just hate.

I'm willing to pay the price if it is good quality and a style I like. If it is good quality it lasts forever.

Geez now I really am curious what this jewelry is like.

Think how much these women who started this company made. sold this company for six hundred and fifty million dollars. My goodness two women who just made a ton of money. I know it probably costr quite a bit to get started. I was interested in starting an online business and started researching. Found out how much you really needed to know and how much money you would need to invest. Decided I should have done it years ago. To late now to invest the amount of money it would take. Sounds fun though. When you read how many fail it does give you cold feet.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
I hope it changes, however from what I've read management at the company is going to stay the same. I'm sure some minor changes will happen but it doesn't like there will be any major shifts.

Apparently Tupperware did something similar awhile ago and bought BeautiControl. Some small changes were implemented with BeautiControl, but nothing major.
Yes I hear they are staying the same and based in Lenexa, Kansas.

It will be interesting to see if they do change their catalog policy.
Avon hands out catalogs door to door.

Maybe this company will change the catalog only being seen through a rep.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Diamond Member

Good luck, Tulip! I do have a couple of Lia Sophia necklaces (the less pricey ones) and they've stood up to being abused my daughter (who loves to play dress up and use my jewelry).

I don't wear a lot of jewelry, I also am not big on purses or shoes. My husband has more shoes than I do and I have 2 purses, but I never use one. It's a backup in case my current one goes downhill. I got it from WalMart, $15. My shoes are Nike, but I got them from an outlet for $20.

Really do check out www.wahm.com/forum - you will find several jewelry companies there and a TON of information.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
posted by ohein56
What does that entail, research?
Gathering as much information as you can find about what you are interested in.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Good luck, Tulip! I do have a couple of Lia Sophia necklaces (the less pricey ones) and they've stood up to being abused my daughter (who loves to play dress up and use my jewelry).

I don't wear a lot of jewelry, I also am not big on purses or shoes. My husband has more shoes than I do and I have 2 purses, but I never use one. It's a backup in case my current one goes downhill. I got it from WalMart, $15. My shoes are Nike, but I got them from an outlet for $20.

Really do check out www.wahm.com/forum - you will find several jewelry companies there and a TON of information.
Lisa we are not the same at all in comparing what I would spend on jewelry, shoes, purses or clothes. I love leather and I love fashion and as long as it is good quality and I love it I am willing to pay quite a bit. With fashion you can go really really high priced and of course I could never afford that. Wish I could. I probably have twenty purses and the same amount of shoes. That is fewer than when I was younger. I will pay up to $250 for a purse. A good leather purse is hard to wear out. Same with shoes. I love soft comfortable leather shoes and also purses. I like suede a lot too. I had some great navy suede heels way back when. I will never forget them. Loved them Too sexy.

My daughter does not have the passion and love for fashion that I do. Neither does my husband. I have always loved fashion and certainly should have stayed in that line of work. I got off track for a few years and then was a buyer but not for fashion.

You have reminded me not everyone loves fashion, jewelry and such. Many do not want to spend money on these things.

My husband thinks jewelry is a waste. He buys me nice things because he knows I love it but he himself thinks it is a waste. He just says he does not understand anyone getting that excited about jewelry.

Last edited by Tulip : 07-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Diamond Member

I need to remind what got my interest in this company was what it sold for.

I really may hate the jewelry. I am very curious what the jewelry is like just because of the success of this company and what it sold for. Also because of all the anti mlmers