report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Used Car Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Mitch Rider - High Country Motors RIP OFF!

I recently had an experience with a Missoula, MT Car dealer called High Country Motors where I was totally ripped off! http://highcountrymotorsmt.com High Country Motors is one of those small one-man businesses owned by one Mitch Rider... scam artist supreame! Mitch totally stole money from me on a transaction where he openly admitted he was wrong and was screwing me over!

Avoid MITCH RIDER and High Country Motors in Missoula MT at all costs! You will be very sorry if you get involved in a business deal with this guy!!!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Mitch Rider - High Country Motors RIP OFF!

I wish I had seen this post a year ago... I also got screwed by Mitch Rider and High Country Motors! He tried to squeeze me on a vehicle by forcing me to provide him a down payment before he put everything in writing on the specifics and details. He then tried to squirm out of a problem with the car, but used my deposit as leverage in an attempt to force me to close on the deal with him.

I ended up having to get really forceful and threten all kinds of legal action before I got him to cancel the deal and just refund my deposit. I would recommend you avoid Mitch Rider and High Country Motors at all costs!

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just saw this while surfing around and unfortunately I guess I have to add my problem to the list about High Country Motors. The following is the full account of what happened. Mitch Rider still owes me $200 to this day!

Note: I reported this whole mess to the Better Business Bureau. They contacted Mitch for a response, but he just ignored them (read below... what could he possibly say after all???) You can read the BBB complaint - High Country Motors BBB complaint.

On October 17, 2008 Mitch Rider sold a 2004 Ford Ranger (VIN# 1FTYR14E34PA61411) on my behalf to an out of state car dealer for an agreed upon price to me of $7,000.00 and had the vehicle shipped to Arizona. This was being done at no cost to me as a friend of mine worked with Mitch and routinely arranged for things like this for people he knew. After a few weeks of nagging my friend for the check, he told me it was no problem and that Mitch had my money at the dealership... just go stop in and pick it up... he's waiting to hear from you.

Okay, so a little annoyed at that point that I'd had to chase down the money that should have been taken care of within 1 week max, I went ahead and stopped in to High Country Motors to pick up the check. This is where the story goes wrong. Mitch shook my hand and introduced himself, started into some kind of studdering speach muttering something about how he's an honest businessman and has never screwed anyone over, etc, etc.... then looked me in the eye and promptly told me he was having a problem with a house he was building and that he had flat out spent my money to cover some personal debts.

Naturally I was surprised, but I remained composed and said that I understand everyone gets in a jam sometimes and that I could offer him a little flexibility (by not calling the cops to High Country Motors right then and there!), but that I needed to know what kind of timeframe we're looking at. He said he hoped to get me something within 60 days(!) I told him that wasn't good enough and that I was thinking more like 1-2 weeks max... that Mitch Rider had basically just flat our stolen money from me under the High Country Motors name and that what he'd done was flat out wrong, unethical, and totally immoral. He was just passing his personal financial problems onto me. He tried to reassure me by saying that he has all kinds of assets (boats, property, etc.) that he or High Country Motors own outright and that I had nothing to worry about. He told me he'd contact me in a couple days to let me know when he could get the full payment taken care of.

After hearing nothing from Mitch Rider for about a week, I called him to ask for an update. He told me he would have my money by that Friday... and that he would call me either way on Friday to discuss. Friday came and went with no call from Mitch Rider so I was pretty sure I was about to get totally hosed. At that point I contacted my attorney and sent a registerd demand letter to High Country Motors documenting everything and requiring the payment to be provided in full by 12/1/08. I explained that if he failed to do so I would move forward legally, charge for lawyer fees, 10% interest, etc. Then place a lien on his property after get a judgement against either Mitch Rider or High Country Motors. I would also get in touch with the Missoula County District Attorney to press full criminal charges as allowable by law, and file a complaint with the BBB as well as the Montana Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division recommending that his Car Dealerís license be revoked.

Well surprise, surprise... nothing from Mitch Rider by 12/1 so I moved forward with everything. Eventually he gave me a $3400 payment... and then a while later another $3400. But then he told me that he was keeping $200 for the hassle and that if I wanted that part back I should go ask my friend for it (who he had let go in the mean time).

High County Motors and/or Mitch Rider still owes me the $200 to this day.

Last edited by Fly Fisher : 01-19-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Newbie Member

Mitch Rider just came to my attention today. I live is So. Calif. and bought a car from one of his partners (or something like that). I paid $4394 for a car plus $1000 invested for future profits off other cars. I paid this to Rowllando Retana, AKA Ron Retana. After 1 month I have yet to received this car which was supposed to be at auction in Fontana. Well I started looking up court record on Ron and found nearly $600000. in lawsuits. To make a long story short, Ron is working under Mitch Rider from Billing Montana. His dealer auction card has Mitch Rider's name on it. Ron has several cases with people who got the same rap as me. My husband even went to church with this guy! My advice, dont pay for anything until it is in your hands. Oh, the car never was at this auction, the car my husband saw has a different vin#. The car I paid for has been totalled and salvaged. I even ran a carfax report in Jan 09. It came back clean. This scam is just sick.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just stumbled upon this thread and thought that I would only be right if I stated what I know about this car dealer. I have bought about 8 cars from Mitch Rider over the last six years and I have had nothing but the best of experiences. These cars have been direct purchases from Mitch's store, I have never hired anyone to sell a car for me.
I see that "Fly Fisher" had an different kind of deal, he states that his arrangement was with his friend who worked at High Country, some sort of a consignment deal. I am fairly certain that I know who he is talking about, and that fellow does not work on that lot anymore.
I have shopped all over town for cars, I have for years, and I want everyone to know that I have made great deals on great cars from Mitch with absolutely no problems at all. In fact, I bought a subaru forester for my daughter a couple years ago from Mitch. The car was in very nice shape but was way out of factory warranty when I purchased it. About 3 months after I bought it, the car had a minor mechanical issue in which I was completely prepared to fix on my own. It so happened that I ran into Mitch at the coffee shop and he asked how my daughter liked her subaru, so I said she loved it but it was getting looked at by a local service garage. To make a long story short, this man, Mitch Rider, went above and beyond my wildest expectations and volunteered to help me with my car! In no way was he responsible, Obligated, or pressured into this amazing gesture of kindness.
I think it is important for people to look at all sides of every situation. I saw this post and didn't think that was at all like Mitch Rider, especially like the Mitch Rider I know. And if you look at these stories here, true or false, you must look at the facts posted by Fly Fisher and jrpoker:

Fly Fisher made his deal to sell a truck with his own friend, NOT Mitch, he did not PURCHASE a car from Mitch. And Mitch does not have anyone else working for him now.

jrpoker bought a car in California, NOT from Mitch, NOT from High country motors either. Mitch has never lived in California nor has he had a dealership in California. And jrpoker never talked to Mitch or set foot in his store. I am sorry for jrpokers loss if it is true, but he had no dealing with Mitch Rider or HCM. I researched this "Rowllando Retana" and found information on lots of lawsuits he is in, as stated by jrpoker, and in no way, shape or form, is Mitch riders name associated on ANY of those complaints.

I hope that if you are in the market for a used vehicle, you go talk to Mitch and make the call yourself, in fact ask for his stack of satisfied customers, i'm sure he would love to show you. I'm sure you will leave the lot in great car just like I have so many times before.
Thank you for your time
d

Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbusiness View Post
I just stumbled upon this thread and thought that I would only be right if I stated what I know about this car dealer. I have bought about 8 cars from Mitch Rider over the last six years and I have had nothing but the best of experiences. These cars have been direct purchases from Mitch's store, I have never hired anyone to sell a car for me.
I see that "Fly Fisher" had an different kind of deal, he states that his arrangement was with his friend who worked at High Country, some sort of a consignment deal. I am fairly certain that I know who he is talking about, and that fellow does not work on that lot anymore.
I have shopped all over town for cars, I have for years, and I want everyone to know that I have made great deals on great cars from Mitch with absolutely no problems at all. In fact, I bought a subaru forester for my daughter a couple years ago from Mitch. The car was in very nice shape but was way out of factory warranty when I purchased it. About 3 months after I bought it, the car had a minor mechanical issue in which I was completely prepared to fix on my own. It so happened that I ran into Mitch at the coffee shop and he asked how my daughter liked her subaru, so I said she loved it but it was getting looked at by a local service garage. To make a long story short, this man, Mitch Rider, went above and beyond my wildest expectations and volunteered to help me with my car! In no way was he responsible, Obligated, or pressured into this amazing gesture of kindness.
I think it is important for people to look at all sides of every situation. I saw this post and didn't think that was at all like Mitch Rider, especially like the Mitch Rider I know. And if you look at these stories here, true or false, you must look at the facts posted by Fly Fisher and jrpoker:

Fly Fisher made his deal to sell a truck with his own friend, NOT Mitch, he did not PURCHASE a car from Mitch. And Mitch does not have anyone else working for him now.

jrpoker bought a car in California, NOT from Mitch, NOT from High country motors either. Mitch has never lived in California nor has he had a dealership in California. And jrpoker never talked to Mitch or set foot in his store. I am sorry for jrpokers loss if it is true, but he had no dealing with Mitch Rider or HCM. I researched this "Rowllando Retana" and found information on lots of lawsuits he is in, as stated by jrpoker, and in no way, shape or form, is Mitch riders name associated on ANY of those complaints.

I hope that if you are in the market for a used vehicle, you go talk to Mitch and make the call yourself, in fact ask for his stack of satisfied customers, i'm sure he would love to show you. I'm sure you will leave the lot in great car just like I have so many times before.
Thank you for your time
d
Seeing as how u seem to know all the details of the other posters transactions. I think its safe to assume that you, Mitch, are simply just trying to save face. Anyone with half a brain could see that.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Mitch Rider needs to Pay!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Newbie Member

Mitch- If you want to clear your name then you need to explain why Rowlland (Ron) Retana had a dealer card, which I have a copy of, with your name and address on it. Now Rons son Justin is in jail on 400K bail amount. Ron has not got him out and has a warrant himself for 400K, 195K, 100K etc. His son got caught up in one of Rons deals, got pulled over and Ron kept going. There are several charges and they even searched his house and found a gun he was not allowed to have. Now Ron has totally disappeared, left his son in jail for his dirty work and several people out thousands of dollars.
So Mitch, if you want to regain your reputation, help us find this idiot who was working with a dealer card from YOU. My guess is he is in Costa Rica and can't get back in the country.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prÍt automobile donne.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Well I am still recovering from the worst investment(mistake) I have ever made in my life. My story about my dealings with Ron Retana aka the biggest con man, lying POS I have ever crossed paths with lasted about a year and after my family finally had an intervention and made me cut all communication with Ron so I could try to get refocused on my failing businesses due to a lack of attention from me unfortunately. I had given Ron Retana nearly $400,000 total, over half of that was my own hard earned money and the rest came from family, business partners and a girlfriends father. It has been nearly a year since I last spoke to Ron and since then I have lost all of my 10 businesses I had invested interest in, one of them being my charity for Autistic Children that Ron defrauded and destroyed. I purchased 35 High line Vehicles that ranged from Ferrari 360 Modena's to Range Rovers all of them being dealer demos that I put deposits down on but NEVER got even one. I went to Vegas to meet Ron and pick up some of the cars but called his bluff and he never showed up so I made him pay for my hotel. I told him I wasnt leaving till he showed up with cars. Well they never showed up and neither did he (his excuse was his wife was dying of cancer).
Long story short, I met Ron when I was on top of the world and everything was going well for me. Over the course of 12 months knowing Ron I lost all my businesses, every dollar I had saved, lost my house, my cars, offices, my relationships with the people that gave me money for cars they never got.
The final straw was Rons pathetic attempt at showing good faith for his debt by repaying me $5k with a stolen credit card that I wasnt aware of at the time but was contacted by the local authorities in the last few months and all I can say is if I didnt have bad luck I wouldnt have luck at all. But, the show must go on! Live and Learn....
If anyone wants to help me track Ron down or would like any info on Ron I have more dirt on Ron than anyone I know and I have all the time in the world right now. I heard Costa Rica is nice this time of year!!!
Email me at patchedupbrandy@aol.com
"But if Ron's in Costa Rica, than who's watching hell

Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow! You mist be an incredibly angry individual to write such slanderous statements regarding Mitch @ High Country Motors. I purchased a Toyota 4Runner from this dealer and his dealership. I had not met Mitch prior to buying my car from him, but am totally impressed with his professionalism and genuine care for assisting me in my purchase. He and the men at his car lot helped with the ease and transition of this purchase. No hidden adjenda, no pressure to buy. I had a nice car I was comfortable with driving but saw this vehicle, something I had been looking for.

Mitch went out of his way to help me in every aspect. I think when people who read the slanderous accusations you posted and do a little research about you, they'll find out who is actually the scam artist.

If Mitch had really been guilty of these accusations he would no longer be in business. People are not stupid. For those of you who read this post and know Mitch @ High Country Motors, stop in and tell him thank you for his integrity and honesty. Enough of people getting away with such damaging statements. I would buy, and will buy from you again Mitch! Just in case you read my post.
Brenda

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

ok "brenda"

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Rowllando Retana aka Ron Retn, is currently living in posh Escazu Costa Rica, because he's wanted in the US. His newest scam is to tell people that he has a brother that works for Best Buy and he can get super cheap electronics and phones. He needs $10k to get started, but then his "brother" gets caught, and someone else needs to be paid off to let the delivery leave the warehouse. Then his mom goes into the hospital for diabetes, and his dad has a stroke, and his car gets stolen.... and on and on. He is a piece of sh*t, and someone will find him some day, and he'll get what's coming to him. I think he's just waiting around in Costa Rica till the statute of limitations runs out on his crimes. In the meantime, he keeps sending money to his wife and kids in southern california to support their lavish lifestyles. The FBI is worthless and refuses to extradite him, even though it's a well known fact where he and his parents live, his phone number, his email. The money is "gone" now. He bought land with it in his parent's name, in Samara, Costa Rica. He's doing some sort of development there. Hope that prick gets what he deserves. I know I've got something for him if I ever run into him.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Newbie Member

Doesn't surprise me that Ron is still scamming people. He is a professional scam artist. Very interesting his wife and kids are still here. I bet they are still in Yucaipa or Fontana. I wonder how his wife would feel If she knew I had 2 of her bracelets, Rons wedding ring, and another 1K diamond ring. I took these as collateral when I had him cornered. I should have had him arrested instead but was trying to recover some of my money. He still owes me 6000 and last time I totaled it about 350K to others. I'd like to track his wife down with some pictures of her J E Welry and let her see what a piece of sh*t he is. Anyone know what name she goes by?
Yeah I don't think any of us will get our money back, but he HAS TO BE STOPPED.
I didn't realize people had messaged me on this until today so if anyone wants to contact me my email is jrpoker@msn.com. I can't help you find him but would like to go have a chat with his wife. FBI really needs to step up here. Does anyone have a specific FBI person we can all talk to. I never filed a case so they don't even know about mine. If you do you should post it on the thread so we can all call this agent. He used EBAY on 1 case which would qualify it for a FBI jurisdiction. I did pull all the court records from SB a couple years ago, and 1 in Riverside. Someday he is going to scam the wrong person who would be willing to take him out. I know a bailbond company went to Costa Rico without success. Ron SUCKS

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I am new at Scam.com

hope you catch this MF...as you all know he is scaming people in Costa Rica now....if you need some info on where he lives (neighborhood), where his father works, phone numbers or other info, mail me...I will find the way to provide you with it..

Arcaix

Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Newbie Member

I hope Ron gets caught somewhere, somehow, by someone. As for me and probably Patch we have had to put this behind us and move on with life. I am too busy now just trying to get my child support from a Morongo Indian who is 180,000 behind. Our laws are stupid and the thieves just keep getting away with it. That is why they keep doing it. Probation here, plea agreement there, no big deal for the criminals.
As for Ron, I saw a non profit in Costa Rico online that received 35,000 that has a new worker "Eduardo Retana" and flags went up. Could this be Ron ripping off another Non Profit. See link http://www.lutheranwomen.ca/grants/current.htm. I just think that if enough of us could get together maybe we could get some action, maybe the "American Greed Scams " show. Obviously the courts or FBI don't have time for this. Please Beware, anyone who comes in contact with Ron Rowlando Eduardo Retana, He is nothing but a thief and a scam artist. And anyone who lends a Morongo Indian money, or has children by them, You cannot collect if they default, even if you sue them. The Morongo Tribe does not honor State court orders, even for their descendants. As for me I put it all in Gods hands and just accept that until Jesus comes back for us this world sucks. Too many liars and thieves. Oh and yes My husband met Ron at Morongo, how ironic. God Bless and Beware.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi everyone.
My name is Jesyca Retana, Im 19 years old, and I am the daughter and 2nd Oldest child to Ron retana, aka Rowlland Retana aka every other name you have to call him. Today of all days, I got a very random and odd desire to google my dads name and to my sad surprise, came across this blog posting. I have no idea in hell where to start and Im honestly a little frightened to confront all of you people but I feel obligated too.. Im here in honor of myself, My older brother Justin, My 16 year old sister , my 10 year old brother and my Mother, to give each and every one of you an apology. We are so sorry. So sorry that all of your lives were shaken and partially destroyed because of Our father and our blood. I know for many of you, this wont mean anything, for you may sit there and think that his offspring and the person who he chose has his mate, have to be exactly like he is, but i assure you from the bottom of my heart we are not. The last time I saw my dad was when I dropped him off at LAX and havnt seen him Since. As I can see you all know where he is at and claim to know every little thing about his life there, and I just want to say thank you, thank you so much for abling to control your anger and not harming him. I truley thank you, because if i were any of you, Im not sure id have the same strength. but he is my dad and no matter what pain hes caused, I love him, because I realize every bad deal and every person he hurt, although is NO excuse, was for me. was for me and my brothers and sisters and for my mom, to provide us with a lifestyle he thought we needed from him, a lifestyle, that i now regret, influenced on him. From reading some of the posts I saw a comment about him " sending money to his wife and kids in southern california to support their lavish lifestyle"... there is no lavish lifestyle.. when my dad left, so did every nice thing we had. every car. every belonging. every penny. every thing that probably didnt even belong to us in the first place, is gone. It was gods ultimate karma. The people my father stole for and loved the most, suffered the most, which is exactly what my father deserves. My mother left him and started with nothing after he left, and I now work two jobs and attend college. I can honestlly having my dad away from me, from going everyday to seeing and loving him, to not seeing him in three years, and being SO in love with a voice that calls you every 3 days is a pain I will have to learn to deal with for the rest of my life, a long with all the pain you are all living with because of my dad. Im sorry he didnt elarn his lesson, and is continuing his same shit Over there, I guess loosing his family wasnt enough, but as you all said, karma always takes affect. I will never wish him harm, in fact, i pray god keep shim safe at all times and all costs, but i realize hes truley sick. a man so addicted to money and power that hes willing to destroy for it. I cant tell you enough how sorry I am for everything, for everything youve all lossed, if i could give you back even half of what hes stolen from you all, I would and my mother would. You cant imagine how shes suffered and the sadness she feels knowing this man that shes been in love with since she was 19, could lie about her having cancer, who could provide things to her kids that were stolen from others, you could never imagine how horrible she feels. and From all of us we thank you for never putting him in jail, and never harming him, because of all you, we got 16 happy years with him..I pray for you all and I hope you find peace and forgivness in your hearts. God bless.

-jess

Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

WOW- I worked for Ron Retana at a mortgage company he owned with a partner in Upland California. I have met his wife and kids. I have to say I am not shocked at all about any of your posts about him.
I had heard that he was in jail for Real Estate Fraud.
He also gave someone I know a heart shaped diamond ring of his wives as collaterol.
Sorry Jessyca I think everyone would put him in jail if they could and it is not out of the kindness of their heart. He has hurt a lot of people. I witnessed him forging loan documents, etc. I am sure you would find a lot more people who have burned by him in real estate and cars in the southern california area.