report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Chat Here
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

Homeopathic Medicine...

I appreciate the loads swear by it, yet it has no measurable medical value or merit, in most cases, and you can go see that yerself, it is all out there on the net.

The basic principle of this 'treatment' is to give a small amount of the v thing that is making ill the person, and it is said to negate the illness, whatever it is.

AFAIK, in most cases the actual amount most use is so v tiny that there is literally not a hope of it having any theraputic effect, other than a placebo one.

And yet there are those who will pay money for it, and those that get rich by it.

Their business I suppose.

If you want to waste money on something that cannot be properly authenticated, when it comes to health, go ahead, that is your freedom, of course.

But until I see more evidence to support it, I will remain a skeptic.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Homeopathic Medicine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post

AFAIK, in most cases the actual amount most use is so v tiny that there is literally not a hope of it having any theraputic effect, other than a placebo one.
Placebo effect is the only thing that saves many "alternative medicines" from disappearing.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
Placebo effect is the only thing that saves many "alternative medicines" from disappearing.
They are big business though, with many wealthy people willing to swear by them.

Not that this is proof of anything.

The wealthy have often been the easiest to buy into ideas and cures that have no scientific basis.

Same with the well known who subscribe to religions, in order to gain public attention - like Tom Cruise, for example.

For them, it is all just a fashion.

Herbal medicine is perhaps different, that does maybe have much measurable worth to it, but homeopathy, as far as I am aware, does not.

You would be amazed the stuff people believe though.

Ever heard of the that bunch who believe that humans do not need solid foods, and can survive of the nutriets in the AIR??

True story.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
I appreciate the loads swear by it, yet it has no measurable medical value or merit, in most cases, and you can go see that yerself, it is all out there on the net.

The basic principle of this 'treatment' is to give a small amount of the v thing that is making ill the person, and it is said to negate the illness, whatever it is.

And yet there are those who will pay money for it, and those that get rich by it.

Their business I suppose.

If you want to waste money on something that cannot be properly authenticated, when it comes to health, go ahead, that is your freedom, of course.

But until I see more evidence to support it, I will remain a skeptic.
Hey I am selling mud pies here. Best thing for everything and cheap to. Only $1,000.00 each cures anything and everything. Would I lie?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
Hey I am selling mud pies here. Best thing for everything and cheap to. Only $1,000.00 each cures anything and everything. Would I lie?
No.

I'll take six.

Can I pick up in Nigeria?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
No.

I'll take six.

Can I pick up in Nigeria?

Of course. Send money first. cash only

Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

What I want to do is first send you a cheque for an overpaid amount.

You send me back the balance, and keep the rest.

Okay?

Good.

Just PM me over your bank details.

Thanks

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
What I want to do is first send you a cheque for an overpaid amount.

You send me back the balance, and keep the rest.

Okay?

Good.

Just PM me over your bank details.

Thanks
Well I have just changed all accounts to direct deposit only, just send to mybank.com c/o OT

Old 12-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

I could do a bank transfer upon receipt of the goods?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
I could do a bank transfer upon receipt of the goods?
Well in that case just forward your mailing address to me and I will get your fabulous mud pies right out to you. Of course it will have to be shipped C.O.D. but you can always deduct the charges from what you owe me.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

I had a friend who was into homeopathic medicine, he swore it helped him. I wonder how much of this is the result of Doctors who used placebos?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry05_99 View Post
I had a friend who was into homeopathic medicine, he swore it helped him. I wonder how much of this is the result of Doctors who used placebos?
100%. Placebos have very good effect in cases of pain management and depression. Basically, if your problem is partly mental, your doctor should not take placebo of the table.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
I had a friend who was into homeopathic medicine, he swore it helped him
He probably believes that it did, Terry.

Even some 'conventional' doctors have been known to be supportive of complimentary therapies, and I guess homeopathy would fall into that category.

But in order to accept homeopathy, he would also need to ignore many of the basic steps that are common to medicine, and that is peer reviewed testing.

When put to the test, in scientific conditions, the treatments have delivered a questionable and inconclusive result, at best.

Maybe your friend would have gotten well, anyway?

If you had 100 sick people, and gave them each a square of chocolate daily, and some started to get better, this would mean little, unless the test was repeated over and over, with consistant results.

If you see what I mean...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He probably believes that it did, Terry.

Even some 'conventional' doctors have been known to be supportive of complimentary therapies, and I guess homeopathy would fall into that category.

But in order to accept homeopathy, he would also need to ignore many of the basic steps that are common to medicine, and that is peer reviewed testing.

When put to the test, in scientific conditions, the treatments have delivered a questionable and inconclusive result, at best.

Maybe your friend would have gotten well, anyway?

If you had 100 sick people, and gave them each a square of chocolate daily, and some started to get better, this would mean little, unless the test was repeated over and over, with consistant results.

If you see what I mean...
Im not ever sure if anything was wrong with him Steve, that he was taking something as a remedy. I could be wrong, but he was always taking something. I say a beer a day keeps the doctors away! Drink up

Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
Im not ever sure if anything was wrong with him Steve, that he was taking something as a remedy. I could be wrong, but he was always taking something. I say a beer a day keeps the doctors away! Drink up
He was perhaps using it in a preventitive sense then? Maybe? Well, I don't suppose it would have done any harm, in the right doses, I am just making the point that there is no medical or scientific basis to homeopathy that I know of.

Not that I would dismiss all complimentary therapies out of hand.

There is something to be said for herbal medicine.

Many convetional medicines derive from a plant, therefore, herbal medicine has some basis to it, that homeopathy lacks, imo.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He was perhaps using it in a preventitive sense then? Maybe? Well, I don't suppose it would have done any harm, in the right doses, I am just making the point that there is no medical or scientific basis to homeopathy that I know of.

Not that I would dismiss all complimentary therapies out of hand.

There is something to be said for herbal medicine.

Many convetional medicines derive from a plant, therefore, herbal medicine has some basis to it, that homeopathy lacks, imo.

I suppose. I wouldn't always trust the motives of medical science either, after all money rules the day!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

Quote:
I suppose. I wouldn't always trust the motives of medical science either, after all money rules the day!
Well, if you reat health care as a business like any other, then that is what happens, sadly.

Me?

I beleive healthcare should not even be a business, as such, it should be beyond the objectives which most businesses are modelled on.