report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Chat Here
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Found $182,000.00...

Recent news here in the U.S.; two contractors, working at a woman customers home, installing a new bathroom had to demolish one wall in the process of the job.
In the wall they discovered and old lunch-bucket, hung on a wire. Upon opening it they discovered $182,000.00 in paper money - legitimate U.S. Currency; Silver Certificates.
Well, [dumb they] showed the find to the woman and turned it over to her saying they would appreciate 30% finders payment [ha-ha, tell me another joke!] The woman reneged and said no, it was her money since it was her house and she didn't have to give any of it to anyone. Of course they lost the job, as she kicked them out, rather than having them around to look at and hear their whining.
The contractors decided to take her to court to press the issue. This all got a lot of publicity which was published in the newspaper. Descendants of the prior owner, an old man, decided to jump on the money train and they got involved. They wanted all the money as they said it belonged to their deceased relative. There was twenty-nine of them! Well, it went to court. THe contractors got $1,000.00. The present woman owner of the house was awarded $73,000.00 and the remainder went to the descendants.
THe woman took $13,000.00 of the money and went on a vacation trip to Hawaii. Upon her return, she announced that $60,000.00 that she had stashed in a shoe-box in the closet was missing! [ha-ha.. persuade the IRS to believe that!] Nothing more heard from the descendants. However, the contractors are going to sure in court for more.
Moral of this story? I would think if anyone finds this amount of money obviously secreted in some place many years ago, just take it and keep you damn mouth shut!.

Comments?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Re: Found $182,000.00...

I'm waiting for input...

Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coontie View Post
I'm waiting for input...
I learned to keep my trap shut a long time ago, well sometimes anyway. Remember the old saying we had as kids. Finders keepers--losers weepers.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

Do you have a pic of the stash? It might be mine too...

Quote:
I'm waiting for input...

Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXJ View Post
Do you have a pic of the stash? It might be mine too...
Hmmm... the story was on CBS news Saturday past. They showed two guys that were with all of the money. I take it they were the contractors that found it. I don't know what you look like, but perhaps one of them was you, eh?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Hmmm... the story was on CBS news Saturday past. They showed two guys that were with all of the money. I take it they were the contractors that found it. I don't know what you look like, but perhaps one of them was you, eh?
Boy they can come out of the woodwork can't they, when it comes to money.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Just to the edge ,never over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
Boy they can come out of the woodwork can't they, when it comes to money.
Trolls and wood work. Tremites and wood work . Sounds like a job for RAID or Black flag,,,hmmmm

about the stashed money
If it was my wall in my house I'd say the contractors did the right thing.

If I had been one of the contractors I'd be pissed .

And why was the former owners even allowed have a 'finger in the pie'? If their deceased relative had of wanted any of them to have it he /she would have given it to them .IMO

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn

Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathaj View Post
Trolls and wood work. Tremites and wood work . Sounds like a job for RAID or Black flag,,,hmmmm

about the stashed money
If it was my wall in my house I'd say the contractors did the right thing.

If I had been one of the contractors I'd be pissed .

And why was the former owners even allowed have a 'finger in the pie'? If their deceased relative had of wanted any of them to have it he /she would have given it to them .IMO

I don't recall where this incident occurred. It is a true story.
Her's my position, opinion:

The Contractors that found the money were undeniably honest. They could have kept the money as only they knew about it. Split 50 - 5o they would have EACH gained $91,000.00, with no one the wiser!
In their honesty they took it to the owner. She is obviously a person of not very good ethics, as she should have given them the 40% that they asked for. As, if they hadn't bought the money to her she wouldn't have had any of it.
In taking the situation to court, she was repersented by an attorney that would get a percentage of what she was awarded in her settlement. Therefore, the attorney argued in her behalf for the largest share, as he was guaranteed because of his services to get twenty percent of her settlement.
The heirs of the man that originally owned the house, whom stashed the money in the wall; by that state law, they were entitled to a percentage of the amount. I think the court awarded them twenty percent, a portion of which they paid to an attorney. They found out through the publicity in the newspaper.
The Contractors wound up with $1,000.00 total.
The woman indicated she wound up with $73,000.00.
If she had simply settled with the two contractors for the fourty percent they initally requested, she would have gotten $115,200.00 and wouldn't have had to go through the court situation. As well, the publicity of the situation ti[[ed off the country, state and federal government tax people of her windfall, or which she will have to pay them a percentage.
She claimed that $60,000.00 she had of the above mentioned amount the court awarded her, she stashed in a shoer=box in the closet and it was stolen. I think that was a ruse to try to get out of paying taxes, which wont work.
I think the moral of this story is that their is a price for being greedy. Sometimes it shows up quicker than others.
It is like "Karma"; payment for actions - sometimes it is "Instant-Karma" which is like kicking a dog and it immediately bites you in the ass. Or, the dog my slink off and later bite you badly on the ankle when it sees an appropraite opportunity..
That is the same as Scammers - low down, degenerate, criminal types that use dishonest means to get other peoples money and property. Sooner or later they will pay the price - guarnteed. Besides, they are just toally bankrupt individuals.
THis woman is a scammer in her own right and she paid the price, big time. Wil have to borrow money, maybe even mortage or sell her house to pay the taxes bill. Or goes to jail if she cannot!
That's how it works - there is justice; sooner or later.

Last edited by coontie : 11-18-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Just to the edge ,never over it.

Quote:
I don't recall where this incident occurred. It is a true story.
Her's my position, opinion:

The Contractors that found the money were undeniably honest. They could have kept the money as only they knew about it. Split 50 - 5o they would have EACH gained $91,000.00, with no one the wiser!
In their honesty they took it to the owner. She is obviously a person of not very good ethics, as she should have given them the 40% that they asked for. As, if they hadn't bought the money to her she wouldn't have had any of it.
In taking the situation to court, she was repersented by an attorney that would get a percentage of what she was awarded in her settlement. Therefore, the attorney argued in her behalf for the largest share, as he was guaranteed because of his services to get twenty percent of her settlement.
The heirs of the man that originally owned the house, whom stashed the money in the wall; by that state law, they were entitled to a percentage of the amount. I think the court awarded them twenty percent, a portion of which they paid to an attorney. They found out through the publicity in the newspaper.
The Contractors wound up with $1,000.00 total.
The woman indicated she wound up with $73,000.00.
If she had simply settled with the two contractors for the fourty percent they initally requested, she would have gotten $115,200.00 and wouldn't have had to go through the court situation. As well, the publicity of the situation ti[[ed off the country, state and federal government tax people of her windfall, or which she will have to pay them a percentage.
She claimed that $60,000.00 she had of the above mentioned amount the court awarded her, she stashed in a shoer=box in the closet and it was stolen. I think that was a ruse to try to get out of paying taxes, which wont work.
I think the moral of this story is that their is a price for being greedy. Sometimes it shows up quicker than others.
It is like "Karma"; payment for actions - sometimes it is "Instant-Karma" which is like kicking a dog and it immediately bites you in the ass. Or, the dog my slink off and later bite you badly on the ankle when it sees an appropraite opportunity..
That is the same as Scammers - low down, degenerate, criminal types that use dishonest means to get other peoples money and property. Sooner or later they will pay the price - guarnteed. Besides, they are just toally bankrupt individuals.
THis woman is a scammer in her own right and she paid the price, big time. Wil have to borrow money, maybe even mortage or sell her house to pay the taxes bill. Or goes to jail if she cannot!
That's how it works - there is justice; sooner or later.
I agree that the contractors are undeniably honest and that the woman is scammer . And a not to smart one if she really left the rest of her money in a shoe box in the closet , and if she didn't then she sure put herslf in a corner with the story of it being gone. 'either way that dog didn't slink off'
It can be hoped that 'Karma' will work as fast for the contractors .

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathaj View Post
I agree that the contractors are undeniably honest and that the woman is scammer . And a not to smart one if she really left the rest of her money in a shoe box in the closet , and if she didn't then she sure put herslf in a corner with the story of it being gone. 'either way that dog didn't slink off'
It can be hoped that 'Karma' will work as fast for the contractors .
Greed, the main destroyer of all that was built to be good.