report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Retail Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 06:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Metropolitan Education Enterprises......UGH

My husband bought encyclopedias from them at some point in the recent past, before we met. I was furious when he told me about them a week ago, while he's deployed. To me, they're useless. You can get current information off the internet for a lot cheaper. Plus, they outdate themselves fairly quickly. He also made a big deal that he got a $4000 set for $2500 at 18% interest! That's a scam right there, and I knew it. I'm not going to deal with lawyers, since this was all done on the West Coast and I don't know anything about how it came about.

I will say this, I called a little while ago to make a payment. The only information I have is the amount owed, interest rate, account number, and a toll-free number that kept ringing. I decided to get on-line and see if I could find a different number and came across this site. Someone from the company had posted the direct number and a different toll-free number. I figured I'd call and see what time they're open so I could call back. The guy who answered was somewhat rude even when I offered to call back since they weren't technically open (if you're not open, why answer the phone), he was nicer when I said I wanted to make a payment, rude AGAIN as he was telling me he would need a bank account/routing numbers as the debit card wouldn't support the amount I was paying (which I already had the information available so the attitude was irritating), and then nice again as we finished up and hung up.

I will be having them send me an email to confirm it's paid off when I make the final lump sum payment in about a week, and will not get off the phone until it's received. After that is confirmed, I'm making my husband close the checking account he used to ensure they don't charge anything else. I don't know what's up with this company, but I'm not happy with them...and my husband is in the doghouse because of them.

Good luck to those of you taking legal action!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Oh my god. I just found out about this site while trying to search for this company online.

I've read over all the posts and I'm still confused about what to do. Will someone help me?

My story is some guy came knocking around in Febuary and he sold my husband on this stupid program. He never told us anything about "3 days to cancel" or anything. We've made a couple of payments and then I called their office because I haven't recieved everything. They were very rude to me and hung up on me (And I wasn't being rude to them at all). We recently closed our bank account because we cannot afford this (Back when we signed we could, but money troubles hit) and they would not let us cancel. Today, they called my husband while he was at work and told him that if we didn't pay by June 1st, then they would go to his Commander and make him pay.

Is there anything we can do? I thank you for reading this and hopefully helping me. My email address is vampgurl678@yahoo.com

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Newbie Member

Hey Vamp girl have u hubby call and tell thm not to call him at work and if they do it again after he tells him not to then he can go to jag about it cause it is illigal for creditiors to call u at work when u tell them not to but make sure u tell them not to and i will warn u u will probably end up going to jag because they wont quit but u do have to warn them

Old 10-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

One of these salesmen came to our house this weekend. My husband works in a civilian capacity with the military and we live off base around a lot of military families.

First he came on Sat at 8:30 p.m. Due to the time and the fact we have a small child, I sent my husband to get rid of him. My husband, trying to be polite, asked him to return the next day.

He returned and proceeded to show us a presentation of books from Metropolitan Education Enterprises that were over 10 years old. His presentation materials (posters and binder full of book samples) were yellowed with age as well and all copywrited sometime after 1990. When asked why his presentaion materials were so dated, he said that was what Metropolitan Education Enterprises provided him and if I wanted to I could call and suggest to them to update their material.

The "free" prize he brought for my son was an 18 year old copy of a Childcraft educational book wrapped in yellowed plastic with damage to the spine.

He also showed us a phonics system called Road to Reading that actually came with cassettes. When we asked why it came with cassettes he said it was b/c little ones tend to chew on DVD's and CD's and ruin them for good whereas a cassette cannot be damaged the same way...ummm o.k.

The Great Books collection from Britannica was nice (and I think it was a recent publication) but for all 3 libraries he wanted $2,600. $2,600 for the Great Books and 2 full children's libraries of 15 year old material.

He had already filled out a contract for us and the contract form numbers were from 1999.

The whole thing seemed shady so we told him we would get back to him. We asked for his name and number and he refused to give either and said he would just stop by again. My husband said I am not going to give a $2,600 check to just anyone so I need to know your name and the name of the company that employs you so I can verify you are a legit salesman and not a fly by night. He complied.

After he left we searched Metropolitan Education Enterprises on the net and found this site and over 15 legal cases against them almost all involving military families. I also looked up the Great Books set from Britannica from their website and they are charging $1,000 for the entire set. When I looked up the children's libraries, they were all only sold used through e-bay and amazon. My husband was furious and wanted to go tell the guy himself not to return and found him another house down. He confronted him professionally and the guy left the neighborhood. Today we plan on turning him into the base.

I just wanted to share my story and say that yes you will get the books ordered but you are getting outdated and overpriced junk, or overpriced book sets that you can order directly from Britannica or whoever for a decent price. Hope this helps someone out there.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Newbie Member

OH BOY! I KNEW IT! My husband is in the Marine Corps stationed out at Naval Air Station Pensacola and I'm a full-time student attending American Military University.

So roughly around I want to say at the beginning of the year, I had come down with the flu and someone came knocking at our door. My husband answered and the man at the door said he had this fabulous deal and what not. My husband told him that it was late(it was around 7 or 8) and told him to come back tomorrow. So he comes back with this giant spiral and all these posters. He told us everything was up to date and that we would receive the more up to date copies if we go along with his contract. He pulled out the giant spiral that had all these letters from people who think that M.E.E. is this fabulous thing. Medical books, children's books, an atlas, encyclopedia set, dictionaries were all included in this FABULOUS deal,the educational plan. All that was needed was signatures from the two of us, a valid card, and a $200 deposit right on the spot. We thought it was this fabulous deal.

So about 3 weeks later, the boxes arrive, but the bookshelf arrived at my parent's place in texas. We called them back and they sent us this piece of crap bookshelf that had 6 pieces missing.

When we remotely miss one payment, theres so many levels of harassment. They call me, leave me a message then call my husband and yell at him. There have been constant yelling at the fact that they'll call Quantico (USMC HQ)if they don't get paid. And if we don't pay them immediate action will be taken to an allotment that will be a 25% of his paycheck until its paid in full. WTF?! We have to pay a payment of $136 every month...or is it every check? either way the grand total of this is..roughly over $4000 with an interest of 18%. again...WTF??!?!?!?

The only real reason I wanted this is for whenever my husband and I have kids, or the fact that I can find out more about my cat because he's an Abyssinian, or even about Iron-Defieciency Anemia. I didn't realize it until a few days ago that a lot of the books were dated back in the 1990s including the encyclopedia sets that were dated 1989.

Is there any legal action that can be taken? Is there anything thats being done about M.E.E.? can someone help me? yoshiscookie88@gmail.com

Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just have dealt with this company. This is my story. A representative came from Austin,TX but the headquarters is in Chicago, IL. He said he had a good deal for us of World Book Encyclopedias, 10 volumes of child stories, Webster Dictionary, Medical Encyclopedia, Science Library, Cookbook, World Atlas, and another set of free gifts just to try the program out. These items included Britannica DVD, tool box set, cookware, 2 daily planners, a Spanish to English Dictionary, and the bookshelf. These were given to us on the spot. We were told we can do a 3 year contract for $2968, with allotted bimonthly payments starting Jan. 1,2009 with the APR of 18% and no deposit fee. We were given a contract that included the 3 day cancellation notice form if we wanted to get out. We were told the books are tracked and they know if we received them or not. We were also told we can cancel if we are dissatisfied with the program. All we had to do was use, tell, and save and then get a phone call to confirm our interest. It is still the weekend so I hope to get this call Monday. To top it off, we received a $20 referral check the next day from "American Education Inc" delivered by the same fellow representative. He also told me he entered us along with 56 other military families that agreed to do this program, in a drawing and we won a prize. We had to choose between a flat screen tv or portable dvd player. We already have a tv so we chose the portable dvd player. He also delivered this to us with the check. I don't know what the future holds for my relationship with this company, but so far, the representative has stuck by his word and was great. He gave me the option to quit now while he was in town by Tuesday so he can take the items back and we would be done with them. We still would like to do business with them. Follow up when the items do or don't arrive. I suppose it's what representative you get that is fair or unfair.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

UPDATE:

I have looked up World Book online and found them to be way cheaper. They have an encyclopedia set, and pretty much what you would have ordered from M E E with no interest rate, no apr for a year and same payment range of $60 bimonthly for 11 months along with a 5% order discount. Oh yeah, NO SHIPPING COST WITH UPS GROUND! The gifts I received from the agent I now have to return and pay for whatever I used. I blame my husband for tampering with the items but it will be worth just paying them once than dealing with a money scam. No one on my post knew what was going on or who to go to with this to figure out if they were really affiliated with the Army like he said they were. This is how safe we are in our own shelter on post. Although our agent was great, the company itself has already many complaints on it's hands and I don't need another stressful dilemma on mine.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

wow...i am so glad i started researching this company before i even signed up...well, i guess here is the newest way to rip-off military people...nobody came to my door, nobody called me...better yet, they sent me a card in the mail, one that folds three ways, very patriotic looking. i guess they had to come up with something else other than going from door to door, wonder why, huh??? soliciting on military installation is prohibited. very clever who ever came up with the idea of mailing cards instead....i almost fell for this rip-off. i will let you all know what the card says, here it goes: "Just for you....COngratulations...
we have a valuable gift for you selected by Mr. CHris Wilson. It is for you and your husband and is his way of saying "Congratulations!" Everything has been paid for, including delivery charges. All we need is to make sure we have the correct address before making delivery. Because the gift is valuable, we hesitate to send it without first verifying the address and making sure you will be there to acceept it. (just another way for them to get ahold of your signature i might add).
For your protection, as well as our, please give us the correct necessary information. Merely fill out the enclosed card and mail it back to us. As soon as I receive it, I will personally see that your gift is sent promptly. Keep this letter for identification when delivery is made. Thank you, METROPOLITAN EDUCATIONAL ENTERPRISES, INC.
p.s. wE CANNOT CONTINUE TO ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY for more than 10 days after notifying you. Please return the enclosed card promptly.
MAIL TODAY to receive your free information WITHOUT COST OR OBLIGATION."
Every military family needs to know that this is a scam. And while I have no problems paying my bills, I am very cautious about what I spend my money on. I believe these people are being dishonest. What I really don't understand is the fact that these veteran's could be ripping off families of former battle buddies, families with low income, families that struggle to pay bills, feed their children, soldier's families who are fighting in two wars as we speak. (if it is true that lots of veterans supposedly work for them). JAG needs to get something moving for the people who got ripped off.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Hi, I am a 44 year veteran sales person for educational material. I have been affiliated as an independent contractor for Metropolitan Educational Ent. Inc.
Dave, you're a fucking idiot. Were you hired by PCS Financial to post refutes to internet claims of your company's inadequacies or do you really have nothing better to do than repost the same thing over and over, spamming a bulletin board? Perhaps if you had taken the time to look through your own reference materials, or at the very least, used spell-check, there wouldn't have been so many typographical errors (I mean spelling and grammatical errors, just so you don't have to look up the definition of 'typographical'.) and your posts wouldn't look as if a middle schooler had written them. In addition, next time that you 'quote' education reports for a post, make sure that you remove unnecessary spaces or at least edit the html coding so that it posts exactly as it was originally printed. Reading your post was like trying to talk to someone on acid.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Curmudgeon

They just got another military member - my Navy son, who is stationed at Mayport.

All shipments received from this outfit are being refused and returned to the sender. He is also contacting his Chief and the Credit Union, since they got his Debit Card Number.

Bunch of damned bottom feeders!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I've placed our award winning program with hundreds of families over the last 18 years and its a pure shame that some of you families are more concerned with a few bucks a month than you are with giving your children and yourselves a real edge with some of the best educational products available on the market today. If you would only shift your thinking to what you can gain from having the tools in your home instead of the minimal investment (which is very reasonable considering the cost of similar products) you would be way ahead of the game. This is one of the best investments you will ever make. Why in the world would you complain about tools that help your family have a real edge in life but have no problem throwing your money down the drain on meaningless items that you buy every month??? Where are your priorities? And as far as all these crazy stories about Metropolitan never said that or they never got a call or this happened or we never knew this or that, sell that story to someone else! We've been doing this for 40 years the same way and we have thousands of satisfied customers. Stop lying and disrespecting yourselves just to try and get out of your responsibilities. Not just to us but your responsibility to your children and yourselves. This is about you and your family. I know you want the best for yourselves and your children. Let us help you with tools that can give you a real edge in a tough competitive society. You'd better get an edge or you'll get eaten alive out here, especially in today's economy! If you think education is expensive...try ignorance!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I love how you speak for everyone. I cannot speak for the company as a whole, but I can tell you that the person who knocked my my door broke at least 4 laws (and got arrested for it). Trespassing, lying to a military police officer, solicitation, and disturbing the peace to start with. Since I live on a military instillation, ALL of these are federal crimes bucko. So go ahead and keep talking about how great EVERYONE that works there. I paid my bill in full and am done with it (therefore giving me the right to bi$ch about the company as much as I would like). Funny thing, I have NEVER used any of the things for myself, my toddler or preschooler, so I hardly think it was a great investment. I wish I could go back in time. I would be two grand richer LOL

Old 02-06-2009, 12:07 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_p View Post
I'm ex-military but while I was in I was aproached by this company aswell. I've been dealing with this for the last 3 years. I'm currently working with my lawyer and the FTC to build a case against them for violation of the FTC Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Please email me any information that you've been able to collect if you think that it will help my case. Please include your name and a short story about some of your problems. I will post all info that I find on this site.
feel free to contact me at karismaticcouture@yahoo.com. I have a bad experience with this company. It's been almost THREE years I have had these and they refuse to send all the materials to this day. My husband got laid off last year (only worked 6 months last year) and you can imagine money is tight. We paid PERFECTLY until May of last year (when he got laid off) and they were unwilling to work with us at all. They charged my bank account multiple times and then threaten to press charges because there were no more funds. We have been living on a little over 900 for the last 7 months, and they NEVER have fulfilled all the terms of their contract. Not to mention the books are not worth ANYTHING.

Feel free to email me ANYONE who is having problem with them. I would love to look at what we can do legally to protect us on our small budget.

God Bless

Amanda
karismaticcouture@yahoo.com

Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 AM
I am new at Scam.com

whoever works for this so-called company has been brainwashed good!!! i wonder metropolitan_representative, if you would speak this highly of the company if you were laid off by them? what would you say then? would you still think they are so awesome? you are just so brainwashed...

Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Newbie Member

im sorry but u people need to read and educate yourself i have had one of your employees ARGUE with me about what time zone i live in cause i know u cant start harassing people on the phone before 9 am and your people call at 7 am then try to tell me i dont know what time zone i live in but yet my hubby makes it to work on time every day with the time it says on our clocks and the funny thing is all of my neighbors and friends where i am have the same exact time so i think the ones that need to invest in an education is you! i regret ever purchaseing anything from you and since i had just moved onto base if i would have known then that what u were doing was illigal on base you best believe i would have been calling the mp's right away! i mean my money could have gone to better education like private schools then what you provided us with so dont tell us we need to spend our money on you its pretty bad we google a webpage for your company and this site scams.com is the first sight to come up why dont u use some of your money and make a website you might sell more but i guess u know so much u didnt think about that did you! yeah thats what i thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_representative View Post
I've placed our award winning program with hundreds of families over the last 18 years and its a pure shame that some of you families are more concerned with a few bucks a month than you are with giving your children and yourselves a real edge with some of the best educational products available on the market today. If you would only shift your thinking to what you can gain from having the tools in your home instead of the minimal investment (which is very reasonable considering the cost of similar products) you would be way ahead of the game. This is one of the best investments you will ever make. Why in the world would you complain about tools that help your family have a real edge in life but have no problem throwing your money down the drain on meaningless items that you buy every month??? Where are your priorities? And as far as all these crazy stories about Metropolitan never said that or they never got a call or this happened or we never knew this or that, sell that story to someone else! We've been doing this for 40 years the same way and we have thousands of satisfied customers. Stop lying and disrespecting yourselves just to try and get out of your responsibilities. Not just to us but your responsibility to your children and yourselves. This is about you and your family. I know you want the best for yourselves and your children. Let us help you with tools that can give you a real edge in a tough competitive society. You'd better get an edge or you'll get eaten alive out here, especially in today's economy! If you think education is expensive...try ignorance!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Curmudgeon

Got a call yesterday from a "Mediator" for this outfit regarding my son's business dealing with them. They have been shipping their stuff to our address, and we've been refusing delivery and returning it all.

This "Mr James" sounded and talked like he was an "enforcer" for the mob. When he started calling me names, I hung up on him. He then called back, had a few more things to say and then hung up on me.

These are not nice folks.

The sad thing is that my son supposedly had stopped all payments to them by the NFCU before he deployed; but he just checked, and they're continuing to debit his account.

Not nice people!!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

metro representative-

It seems that you and your cohorts are missing a blatantly obvious point here. Most people on this board are not complaining about having to pay for materials they ordered. Most are complaining about the practices of your sales people and financial department.

I really doubt people would take the time to make up these stories. I know my story isn't made up and mine has nothing to do with the financial side of your company. It has everything to do with a salesman trying to sell me a product that was well outdated, a salesman that was afraid to give me his name etc. etc. see my previous post for more details.

This is not about people trying to get out of their contracts for legtimate materials they ordered. This is about Metropolitan's business practices as a whole and people need to be warned.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Curmudgeon

Just got a call from the Sales Rep in Mayport who sold my kid the bill of goods. He was highly upset that we were refusing delivery of their stuff and sending it back. He, too, sounded like a leg breaker for the mafia.

When he started swearing at me, I advised him that, if he wanted to talk like that, he needed to call someone else; and I hung up the phone.

These are not nice people; and I'm only happy that my wife and/or daughter haven't answered the phone when they call.