report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Chat Here
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: Sr Citizens should renew D.L. Annually by Testing
Yes 4 40.00%
No 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

Re: Senior Drivers Should Be Tested Annually

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseroption View Post
I hear you and agree to a point, but worthiness of this is so individualized, just like your grammie's driving record. There are records showing folks who don't have a license to carry a gun either, but carry one anyway and have mistakenly killed another in one quick reflexive move that was wrongly judged. Others are licensed and maybe never used the machine and then you have your Dick Cheney's, but that's another story all together.
To be honest, i don't know how one can compare a car to a gun. It's like comparing Cannabis with Heroin! Yes a car can be used as a deadly weapon but so can a bannana skin if not disposed of properly... so what exactly do you mean? All babnana eaters should be taught not to throw their bannana skins on the pavement and should be trained to do that every year??? Cos people still do chuck bannana skins on the floor you know! Just some food for thought. :sunglasses:

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

What age does one become a Senior? Stores will say if you are 55 you are a senior. Other places tell you, you are a Senior at 65. How about testing people who get into accidents all the time and how about asking people if they DRINK and how about asking people what type of medications they are taking and how about asking people if they have heart conditions and how about asking all these pertinent questions like the above for they are more prone to having problems on the road and oh how about asking them if they are doing DRUGS that could impair their judgement and etc. I do not think age has everything to do with it. Or we could reverse it since lots of teens are very dangerous drivers. They should be tested more frequently. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
What age does one become a Senior? Stores will say if you are 55 you are a senior. Other places tell you, you are a Senior at 65. How about testing people who get into accidents all the time and how about asking people if they DRINK and how about asking people what type of medications they are taking and how about asking people if they have heart conditions and how about asking all these pertinent questions like the above for they are more prone to having problems on the road and oh how about asking them if they are doing DRUGS that could impair their judgement and etc. I do not think age has everything to do with it. Or we could reverse it since lots of teens are very dangerous drivers. They should be tested more frequently. Just my thoughts.
:i agree:______________________________:i agree:___________________________________:i agree:

Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Spammer jammer are you talking to me? : what would I do for money? Nothing dangerous, but something silly

Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Spammer jammer are you talking to me? : what would I do for money? Nothing dangerous, but something silly
Thats part of my signature, with the photos as an example of what some moron made for me for money. but thanks for your input anyway! :devil:

Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

I don't know the annual statistics regarding "death by slipping on a banana-skin". However, I think it is safe to surmise that, wildly guessing, perhaps ten people a year.
Automobile-wise, I think the world statistics for annual automobile deaths far excels the present fatatilities [putting it nicely] of U.S. troops killed in Iraq. I think the figure is around 4300 now. There are probably somewhere areound 10,000 people killed every year as the result of operation of motor vehicles. Maimed, meaning so badly injured they have terrible permanent disabilities, such as my friend that is a Parapelegic; broken back caused permanent paralysis of his body from the waist down and lifelong confinement to a wheelchair. He was twenty-eight when that happened. He is now fourty-two.
Sometimes, maiming is worse than death. There are quite a few thousand people that fall into this category every year.
Lets face it, there is a lot of carnage on the roads and it is a very dangerous place to be.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

I think that MOTORCYCLES SHOULD BE BANNED. So many of them are killed, all they have to do is hit a smal pebble and they lose control of their motorcycles. Some are too vain to even wear helmets, but the helmets dont do much for them, they are very dangerous vehicles and should be banned they have NO PROTECTION what so ever.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

In most instances involving vehicles and motorcycles it is the vehicle operator that made the wrong decision that caused the accident. Often, many automobile drivers, especially women, do not consider a motorcycle as a bonafide road vehicle. Besides, they think if they hit one, it wont damage their car much and especially they wont get injured. Many people drive carelessly in regard to motorcycles that they would not otherwise do in regard to another automobile.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coontie View Post
I don't know the annual statistics regarding "death by slipping on a banana-skin". However, I think it is safe to surmise that, wildly guessing, perhaps ten people a year.
Automobile-wise, I think the world statistics for annual automobile deaths far excels the present fatatilities [putting it nicely] of U.S. troops killed in Iraq. I think the figure is around 4300 now. There are probably somewhere areound 10,000 people killed every year as the result of operation of motor vehicles. Maimed, meaning so badly injured they have terrible permanent disabilities, such as my friend that is a Parapelegic; broken back caused permanent paralysis of his body from the waist down and lifelong confinement to a wheelchair. He was twenty-eight when that happened. He is now fourty-two.
Sometimes, maiming is worse than death. There are quite a few thousand people that fall into this category every year.
Lets face it, there is a lot of carnage on the roads and it is a very dangerous place to be.

Mc'Donalds kills and there is proof, but still nobody will tell me where i can get a Mc'licence :shocked:

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Hold your horses Bub!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamma Scammer View Post
To be honest, i don't know how one can compare a car to a gun. It's like comparing Cannabis with Heroin! Yes a car can be used as a deadly weapon but so can a bannana skin if not disposed of properly... so what exactly do you mean? All babnana eaters should be taught not to throw their bannana skins on the pavement and should be trained to do that every year??? Cos people still do chuck bannana skins on the floor you know! Just some food for thought. :sunglasses:
Are you saying one is not as bad as the other? If you want to take that stand, then I could say that guns are not used solely to murder. Guns like cars, can be used for recreational purposes also (ie; people use cars to race - people use guns to skeet shoot) or for necessary reasons (ie; people use cars for transportation to work- officers use guns for protection while at work).

Simply put, the point is that both are weapons of destruction and can be the tool of removing another human being from the face of this earth if it is used in the wrong way or by an incompetent or irresponsible individual.

If you believe that one is in fact more dangerous than the other, then I agree with you because guns are not as dangerous as vehicles. They are certainly is not as large. A drive-by shooting can take out what, maybe one life, while a drive by vehicle can take out an entire crowd. Guns are not as readily available to anyone who has the cash to buy one or finds Daddy's keys laying on the end table, and guns are definitely not as widely used as cars are.

BTW, I don't get your comparison of Cannabis with Heroin. They are both drugs that alter the natural state of the body and mind which can REALLY screw with the ability to drive!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Hold your horses Bub!!!

Quote:
And very valid thoughts they are. I agree with you. As I originally said, Those are other battles worth pursuing. I am only taking on one at a time.

The age that constitutes being a senior is determined differently according to the goals of those setting the age. If you are a department store, then you are wanting to generate sales, so tell a younger person that they qualify for a senior discount at 55 and you might get more business, but if you are an insurance company that only wants premiums pouring in, then up that age for as long as you can to not give a discount. My guess is, check the motive of the place making the determination and see if it doesn't benefit them, however they choose!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying one is not as bad as the other? If you want to take that stand, then I could say that guns are not used solely to murder. Guns like cars, can be used for recreational purposes also (ie; people use cars to race - people use guns to skeet shoot) or for necessary reasons (ie; people use cars for transportation to work- officers use guns for protection while at work).

Simply put, the point is that both are weapons of destruction and can be the tool of removing another human being from the face of this earth if it is used in the wrong way or by an incompetent or irresponsible individual.

If you believe that one is in fact more dangerous than the other, then I agree with you because guns are not as dangerous as vehicles. They are certainly is not as large. A drive-by shooting can take out what, maybe one life, while a drive by vehicle can take out an entire crowd. Guns are not as readily available to anyone who has the cash to buy one or finds Daddy's keys laying on the end table, and guns are definitely not as widely used as cars are.

BTW, I don't get your comparison of Cannabis with Heroin. They are both drugs that alter the natural state of the body and mind which can REALLY screw with the ability to drive!

Hey, are you that naive? Guns were designed with the sole purpose to kill. Except for water pistols and perhaps pellet guns. Now you tell me of a vehicle apart from an army tank which is designed to kill. Please don't get clever and say James Bond's cars. Cars are not weapons. They can hurt people and animals but they were not designed to. A gun on the other hand is designed to KILL!

Many things can kill people which were not designed to "KILL". These include Fireworks, Food, Rope and Swimming pools. Now should a person have to obtain a licence to carry a rope? It would sure be a horrible death to strangle somebody with it!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Hold your horses Bub!!!

Quote:
Hey, are you that naive? Guns were designed with the sole purpose to kill. Except for water pistols and perhaps pellet guns. Now you tell me of a vehicle apart from an army tank which is designed to kill. Please don't get clever and say James Bond's cars. Cars are not weapons. They can hurt people and animals but they were not designed to. A gun on the other hand is designed to KILL!

Many things can kill people which were not designed to "KILL". These include Fireworks, Food, Rope and Swimming pools. Now should a person have to obtain a licence to carry a rope? It would sure be a horrible death to strangle somebody with it!
I hear you, but that is still not a valid argument to justify an incompetent's use of a car. It is simply another subject all together. We could argue the gun issue all day in another debate.

Simply do the math comparing deaths by vehicular homicide to all these other comparisons that you have listed & I guarantee that vehicles will be at the top of the list, by far outnumbering anything in this country (America) that takes lives.

If we go with your argument, then I know someone who choked to death on a peppermint too, but you can't run over someone & kill them with a peppermint. However, vehicles can be used as such! Your argument is weak & unwarrantable & I maintain that people (this particular battle being seniors) should be required to re-test for a permit to operate a vehicle on public roadways.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Hold your horses Bub!!!

And btw, naivety escaped me, even as a child. It is a curse, I tell you, truly a curse!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear you, but that is still not a valid argument to justify an incompetent's use of a car. It is simply another subject all together. We could argue the gun issue all day in another debate.

Simply do the math comparing deaths by vehicular homicide to all these other comparisons that you have listed & I guarantee that vehicles will be at the top of the list, by far outnumbering anything in this country (America) that takes lives.

If we go with your argument, then I know someone who choked to death on a peppermint too, but you can't run over someone & kill them with a peppermint. However, vehicles can be used as such! Your argument is weak & unwarrantable & I maintain that people (this particular battle being seniors) should be required to re-test for a permit to operate a vehicle on public roadways.
well i agree to disagree and that is my opinion on the matter. Old people should not have to worry about bits of paper. They have done their service to live that long, why should they be dictated to by newer generations. Everybody is always looking for something to blame or to be a scapegoat. old people are easy targets and that is why they are bullied by the government (especially in the UK). When i am old, i will refuse to take tests of any sort, (perhaps the occasional eye test if needed though). I'll leave the tests to the Younger generations!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Hold your horses Bub!!!

Quote:
well i agree to disagree and that is my opinion on the matter.
"Agreeing to disagree" is a new phrase that annoys the daylights out of me because it is a cop out, so I will leave it at, I respect your right to have your opinion. It's wrong, but nevertheless, I respect your rights.

Quote:
Old people should not have to worry about bits of paper. They have done their service to live that long, why should they be dictated to by newer generations.
Okay, I'll give you that they should not be under any scrutiny that no one else is required to, but I do not think they should receive any privilige that overlooks any wrong-doing just because of seniority or tenure, either.
Quote:
Everybody is always looking for something to blame or to be a scapegoat. old people are easy targets and that is why they are bullied by the government (especially in the UK).
Come to think of it, you are right. That happens here in the USA also. We do have advocate services that offer to help the elderly (free of charge) though. It is just a matter of the elderly realizing that option is available to them. Look, my dad just died a few weeks ago. He was 82. His state of vulnerabilty had been so grossly taken advantage of that I could ring the necks of the corporations that "convinced" him of the need for their stupid services. I am ALL FOR advocating for the respect and dignity of the elderly, but my point is, if you respect them for their service, they should also be accountable to their limitations. It is a natural process for the body to begin failing (eyesight, reflexes, etc) with age. I am not TARGETING just the elderly. I am merely saying, start with the obvious. If that is arrogant teenagers, fine, start with them. Just cover them all eventually. The point is responsibility of public saftey for ALL.

Quote:
When i am old, i will refuse to take tests of any sort, (perhaps the occasional eye test if needed though). I'll leave the tests to the Younger generations!
I respect your right to object to any personal requests of you, but look at it this way.....say I am 76 yrs old & apply for a job driving a school bus. In this country, we can not discriminate because of age (something you seem to wholeheartedly agree with). So the school system hires me, but does not administer any tests (something you think old people should not have to do). I drive the bus that has your 8 yr old child in it. I didn't see that truck or hear the horn blowing & I pull out in front of him. Your child gets slammed out of the back of the bus & dies. Are you not going to ask the school system if they administered a test for this old fart if I could see or HEAR?