report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Preserve. Protect. Defend.

Okay...you asked for it! I.Q. and Race

For my Aussie friend...

Study claims IQ differences at least 50% genetic

A 60-page review of the scientific evidence, some based on state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of brain size, has concluded that race differences in average IQ are largely genetic. The lead article in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy and Law, a journal of the American Psychological Association, examined 10 categories of research evidence from around the world to contrast "a hereditarian model (50% genetic-50% cultural) and a culture-only model (0% genetic-100% cultural)."

The paper, "Thirty Years of Research on Race Differences in Cognitive Ability," by J. Philippe Rushton of the University of Western Ontario and Arthur R. Jensen of the University of California at Berkeley, appeared with a positive commentary by Linda Gottfredson of the University of Delaware, three critical ones (by Robert Sternberg of Yale University, Richard Nisbett of the University of Michigan, and Lisa Suzuki & Joshua Aronson of New York University), and the authors' reply.

"Neither the existence nor the size of race differences in IQ are a matter of dispute, only their cause," write the authors. The Black-White difference has been found consistently from the time of the massive World War I Army testing of 90 years ago to a massive study of over 6 million corporate, military, and higher-education test-takers in 2001.

"Race differences show up by 3 years of age, even after matching on maternal education and other variables," said Rushton. "Therefore they cannot be due to poor education since this has not yet begun to exert an effect. That's why Jensen and I looked at the genetic hypothesis in detail. We examined 10 categories of evidence."

1. The Worldwide Pattern of IQ Scores. East Asians average higher on IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan Africa.

2. Race Differences are Most Pronounced on Tests that Best Measure the General Intelligence Factor (g). Black-White differences, for example, are larger on the Backward Digit Span test than on the less g loaded Forward Digit Span test.

3. The Gene-Environment Architecture of IQ is the Same in all Races, and Race Differences are Most Pronounced on More Heritable Abilities. Studies of Black, White, and East Asian twins, for example, show the heritability of IQ is 50% or higher in all races.

4. Brain Size Differences. Studies using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) find a correlation of brain size with IQ of about 0.40. Larger brains contain more neurons and synapses and process information faster. Race differences in brain size are present at birth. By adulthood, East Asians average 1 cubic inch more cranial capacity than Whites who average 5 cubic inches more than Blacks.

5. Trans-Racial Adoption Studies. Race differences in IQ remain following adoption by White middle class parents. East Asians grow to average higher IQs than Whites while Blacks score lower. The Minnesota Trans-Racial Adoption Study followed children to age 17 and found race differences were even greater than at age 7: White children, 106; Mixed-Race children, 99; and Black children, 89.

6. Racial Admixture Studies. Black children with lighter skin, for example, average higher IQ scores. In South Africa, the IQ of the mixed-race "Colored" population averages 85, intermediate to the African 70 and White 100.

7. IQ Scores of Blacks and Whites Regress toward the Averages of Their Race. Parents pass on only some exceptional genes to offspring so parents with very high IQs tend to have more average children. Black and White children with parents of IQ 115 move to different averages--Blacks toward 85 and Whites to 100.

8. Race Differences in Other "Life-History" Traits. East Asians and Blacks consistently fall at two ends of a continuum with Whites intermediate on 60 measures of maturation, personality, reproduction, and social organization. For example, Black children sit, crawl, walk, and put on their clothes earlier than Whites or East Asians.

9. Race Differences and the Out-of-Africa theory of Human Origins. East Asian-White-Black differences fit the theory that modern humans arose in Africa about 100,000 years ago and expanded northward. During prolonged winters there was evolutionary selection for higher IQ created by problems of raising children, gathering and storing food, gaining shelter, and making clothes.

10. Do Culture-Only Theories Explain the Data? Culture-only theories do not explain the highly consistent pattern of race differences in IQ, especially the East Asian data. No interventions such as ending segregation, introducing school busing, or "Head Start" programs have reduced the gaps as culture-only theory would predict.

In their article, Rushton and Jensen also address some of the policy issues that stem from their conclusions. Their main recommendation is that people be treated as individuals, not as members of groups. They emphasized that their paper pertains only to average differences. They also called for the need to accurately inform the public about the true nature of individual and group differences, genetics and evolutionary biology.

Rushton and Jensen are well-known for research on racial differences in intelligence. Jensen hypothesized a genetic basis for Black-White IQ differences in his 1969 Harvard Educational Review article. His later books Bias in Mental Tests (1980) and The g Factor (1998), as well as Rushton's (1995) Race, Evolution, and Behavior, show that tests are not biased against English speaking minorities and that Black-White-East Asian differences in brain size and IQ belong in an evolutionary framework.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Okay...you asked for it! I.Q. and Race

Too bad the IQ test is also culturally biased, have you ever looked into the strange and controvercial history of the IQ test? These researchers obviously did not...

Old 11-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Preying upon the weak and stupid.

Aha! White aren't the best! Suck it BVR! :P
lol

Old 11-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Preserve. Protect. Defend.

yeah...this is EXACTLY the point!

Do YOU really care that it may be the case? Is it so hard to believe that there are inherent differences between races? It boggles my mind to think that liberals can see the amazing differences in the way people look, yet get ANGRY when someone suggests that one race may be DIFFERENT than another in any tiny way. In fact, liberals also don't like to hear that women and men are different, either. It is because they are idiots.

jiggle, whether you agree with the results of this testing, it can surely not be argued that cultural differences did not figure into their methodology. Which you would have known had you read the article. I know, I know, reading IS a hassle...

Last edited by pwrone : 11-23-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

the orientals are even smarter than they seem to be on the test cause the test was made by and for europeans. so, if you say blacks are generally better than whites at basketball, who is harmed ? once i met a black female member of mensa and could not resist asking the rude question - " do you realize, that, statisticly, you do not exist ? " she was not amused. i think nobody beats the indians in math.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
yeah...this is EXACTLY the point!

Do YOU really care that it may be the case? Is it so hard to believe that there are inherent differences between races? It boggles my mind to think that liberals can see the amazing differences in the way people look, yet get ANGRY when someone suggests that one race may be DIFFERENT than another in any tiny way.
I don't think they're upset that it might be the case. I think they're upset at the implications inherent in promoting a study like this one in the first place. That it seems to turn on the white, male republican so much to tout this kind of research is a disturbing confirmation of their preexisting suspicions regarding an unhealthy superiority complex, which, sadly unbeknownst to him, is as pitifully obvious to everyone else as a football-sized goiter growing from his neck.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Diamond Member

I think we should be all happy that there are "differences" among
people. Everyone excelling in the same field would be pretty boring/
stagnant.

Hmm.......I take that back....we could do with fewer "libruls".:devil:

PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION.....ENFORCE OUR LAWS.:mad:

What are reparations? Making me pay
for something I had nothing to do with compensates no one
who suffered an injustice therefore I would be penalized for
something I didnt do and someone else would recieve a settlement
for an injury they did not suffer.[/b]

By D.B.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

why do we need IQ test to reveal what is already OBVIOUS - shaded test score results for entrance qualification to colleges/universities and a lesser qualifying score for a disctinct social class for acceptance to positions in managment, public services institutes such as the Police, Nursing, Doctors, EMS workers, control tower operators and so on.
The outcome is serious compromise of demonstrated skills, knowledge and overall competness and willingness to take first hand responsibility.
For instance, in the medical profession, a Nurse blaming an subordinate technician for making available wrong type medication or wrong dosage.
Patient is adversely affected. The Nurse should ALWAYS verify meds and other procedures, materials intended for patients. That is one reason Nurses are paid more.
But, if one can rook their way into entering into the social work force, professionaL levels to where they are immediately, so to speak, hoisted on to the shoulders of "underlings", they get the benefit of prestige, status, "authority" and higher pay and are always confortably in a position to avoid responsiblity and let others take the fall while they always take credit for advances and successes, which were actually earned through the hard work and accomplishments of their "subordinates".
It gives an altogether new meaning to the "Peter Principle", wherein one that is actually deemed incompetent to rise in corporate or business structure is continiously elevated to an ever higher position of responsibility, but others are always depended upon to bolster this and finally arrive at an ever higher position in the structure where they can no longer camaflouge their ineptness. By then, there has been much damage done and many bodies litter the road behind them.
In the end, it is all about degradation of social structure to an ever lower level to accomodate them. Plain and simple it is the "dumbing down" of our society.

Last edited by coontie : 11-24-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Terrific, thankyou pwrone, exactly what I was hoping you would provide. I've never seen this paper before. It's a 60 page paper, and there are some citations I want to read up as well, so it may take me a little while to get back about it.

If anyone else wants a copy of the paper, email me via the forum and I'll send it to you. I'd post it on here but it's probably a copyright violation.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Diamond Member

War Maiden, where are you? Take um down. Hehe:)

By D.B.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

I have three words to say in response to this thread: Dr. Benjamin Carson. Who's he? He's one of the world's preeminent neurosurgeons. He first came to fame in the early '90's when he succefully separated a pair of German Siamese twins who were joined at the head. He's been featured on The 700 Club (he's a devout Seventh-Day Adventist), 20/20, and in Parade magazine. Oh, and Dr. Carson is Black. Apparently, he didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be stupid, and neither did his mom.

Dr. Carson's story is remarkable. Raised in poverty by a single mother, he was well on his way to becoming the stereotypical Black male failure until Mama Carson stepped in. Seeing the bleak future facing her rebellious, hot-tempered son, she forced Benjamin and his little brother to read and write a report on a book every week. The boys had to turn the book report in to their mom. That was the beginning of Dr. Carson's salvation. For years he'd hated and done poorly in school, then one day his teacher asked the class a question about rocks. Carson was the only child who knew the answer, an answer he'd learned from the books his mother required him to read.

Suddenly, Benjamin Carson realized that he COULD LEARN. And with that realization came a thirst for knowledge that propelled him through middle school, high school, university and eventually landed him in that operating room separating those little twins. And what really makes this story amazing is that Dr. Carson's mother, the one who'd required him and his brother to turn in book reports to her, had only a third grade education and COULD NOT READ! The book reports were for her sons' benefit, not hers. By making them read books and write about them, she was making them learn AND making them love to learn. She was also teaching them the discipline necessary for success in all of life, not just school.

Dr. Benjamin Carson continued to distinguish himself in his profession long after separating the German twins. The last I heard of him he was fighting cancer. I do not know if he's still alive. I DO know that his story shatters any and all notions that an individual's fate is set by his race, class, gender, or family structure. Rather, an individual's life is what he chooses to make of it. Yes, we all have limits. I, for instance, could never be a Michael Jordan, Bill Gates, or Dr. Benjamin Carson. But those limits are INDIVIDUAL limits, not group limits. If IQ tests reveal anything at all it's only the sum of the collective, not the unique potential of each precious individual. That's my answer to the race-determines-IQ nonsense. And Dr. Benjamin Carson is the proof, if you dare to look.

"...victory at all cost, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival." Sir Winston Churchill

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Diamond Member

What a positive story! It proves that one can do what they set out to
do....having a supportive mom helped a lot too!

We are all different and whats wrong with that?? I dont have any
problem acknowledging the fact that there are millions of people
more intelligent than I, but Im good at what I do....soooo?

IQ all too frequently doesnt accompany common sense, regardless of
race!

Why does "race" come up all the time anyway?

By D.B.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
ɹǝpun uʍop

In this case it was in response to my challenge to pwrone. We were discussing race and IQ and I asked him to provide a peer-reviewed paper supporting his position, and he's done that. Still reading it over, its a long one.