report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Corporate Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Bronze Member

Re: smc corp

Its definatly not a scam was a part of it for one year made alittle bit of money off of it from ebaying catalog items. You could make some serious cash with it if you have the capital to rent space in a mall ie a kiosk and bought the products and resold em.Didnt have the capital or the credit to pursue that avenue though so I threw in the towel wasnt making enough for efforts applied besides ebay I did sell some through handing out catalogs to interested parties around the christmas season. Basically its a wholesale package example you buy something for 5 dollars wholesale recommended retail 9.95 so you made your money back plus 4.95 profit. My recommendation if you own a retail outlet or something else near your citys tourist area its well worth it and you can probaly expect high sales. Work at home and try to do a mail order business can work but not likely to get you out of your 9 to 5 job maybe at best a few hundred dollars enough to cover merchandise smc fees etc and get a few annoying bills paid.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

SMC Scam--How Can We Stop This?

I recently found many blogs from people who were misled by Tom Bosley's infomercial asking us to go into business with Specialties Merchandise Corp. ("SMC"). I ordered their package for $315.00; however, others appear to have paid all kinds of different amounts. I was assured over the phone that I would have access to thousands of products on-line. I received the kit and once my website was up (for which I only have to pay $39/mo. for upkeep), i checked it out. It was pitiful. There were about 100 products total, and when I "turned the page," I occasionally had a blank screen. I was thinking that something was wrong with the website, technically. However, I talked to my "coach" and found that for another $5,100 I could have lots more product to sell on my website. What the heck?! I told my coach I wanted to cancel the whole thing, and she transferred me to a telephone message, which requested that I send a letter of cancellation to one address, send the kit back to another address, insured for $100 in order to track the shipment, and to call another phone number to cancel the website. This was on March 29, 2007. Since then, I've gotten several emails from SMC people asking me why I'm not selling anything yet? I've responded to each email that I cancelled my membership with SMC on March 29. Still their emails come, with no answer to my emails to them. I've read that the Better Business Bureau is not helping anyone, and they wonder who at the BBB knows someone at SMC. Complaints have been filed with the Attorney General's office but no one's gotten a response yet. I hear about lots of people getting scammed via infomercials and the internet. How can we stop this? What ever happened to "united we stand"? Sue

Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: SMC(specialty merchandise corporation)

I make 3000-3500 a month with SMC not rich but its not bad.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 AM

Re: SMC.... Yeah or Ney?

Did you ever get satisfaction? I am looking at starting a Class Action Lawsuit on behalf of all the people that have been scammed by this company....I am working with a girl who is on social security disability, mental problems, they told her the cost to join was $39.95 to get initial materials....then she had a call from a "business coach" trying to sell her a replicating website for $360 per yr....I was on the call with her and turned it down....he hit her account that same day for $29.95 and they then informed her she had a "contract" for $479....they have been taking double payments out of her account since March 07, they admitted the sales rep used her banking information on signing up another SMC customer....they will not refund nor as her guardian let me listen to their so called recording....I have called in and recorded their sales pitches 14 times now from the number given on their infomercial, this is definately a "bait and switch" operation that needs to be shut down by the attorney general of the State of California.

My attorney is JD Sullivan and his email address is
jdsullivan@igonet.com, he is looking for a half dozen others to join with us in a Class Action Lawsuit....once lawsuit is filed the attorney will force them through discovery to open up their records so all past people who bought these so called memberships and services can be contacted in regards to the Class Action Lawsuit.....

Bob Sterling bobsterling7@hotmail.com
941-655-0252

QUOTE=yankee]undefined :mad: Let me tell you what happened to us. We signed up with SMC and started with a website and the whole bit....we really wanted to do well. The first person you talk to after you order your kit is called a "business coach" which in my oppinion after dealing with them he should be called a shifty salesman that is in a position to sell you a bill of goods. However, I thought he really had good intentions to assist us getting started and being successful. So, he told me that if I ordered a Gift Card website it would cost me $1495.00, but i would receive $2900 worth of gift cards free and I would receive a $1495.00 credit when i wanted to upgrade my website. I told him I really did not want a gift card site, but I wanted a site that did a lot more for me, but he said that I would get a full credit, plus credits on the giftcards too. So, he sold me on that idea. The next day someone called from the e-merchant Club, which is the sister company to SMC too upgrade my site. This guy explained to me that I did not purchase a gift card site for $1495.00 but I purchased gift cards and a site. I was completely lied to. But...I still wanted to do this business and he assured me that I would be taken care of with more gift cards with my upgrade. The first set of gift cards came and were $500.00 short on what was promised. The second website was another $3213.00 and I still have not received any of the additional gift cards that were promised, which currently is a $5700.00 retail value) I have to no avail tried to contact customer service, supervisors and finally the Better Business Bureau. I have a report in to them and three disputes on my credit card. Someone recently informed me that SMC makes over $300 million per year, I do not know its accuracy and that they pay the Better Business Bureau to be a memeber and that they will not report them accurately as long as they are receiving payment. However, once again I do not know how true that is. We have become very unhappy, we were really attempting to do an honest and ethical business with a decent pricing and decent product. So far the products have not been bad and the pricing has been reasonable, but we have had terrible service and dishonesty with the company. I would stear completely clear of becoming a member of SMC or Specialty Merchandise Corporation or its sister company EMerchant Club. I ordered the initial site over one month ago and never received that and finally when the second website was up and running it did not even have the current fall catalogs on the site. :([/quote]

Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just wondering if you had started your class action as of yet against SMC. . .or are you still in need of people to join your pursuit? Please let me know. I have been scammed by this company. . .and would love to see them go out of business. . .or at the very least, lose a major class action lawsuit, and have to shell out thousands of dollars, as they have made so many people pay for absolutely NOTHING!!

Please let me know. Thanks so much. :confused:

Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: smc corp

Hello to all current smc corp members. I just signed up butcan't get the business off the ground. Is anyone that can assit it this area? I pay to work under your business so I can learn how to make money with smc. I currently have website in construction but with all the product that can be sold through smc I have now clue what to sell. Thanks for any info that given

Old 08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Newbie Member

I can tell you that when we started Trejo Home Designs back in February of '02 in 3 sales we made over $500 profit and we STILL have those 3 as regular customers... we mainly only sell to friends & family and the regulars in town that know us but put mildly when we show the catalogs it gives good money and the products... some are great others not so great just depends on the items... I try to get people to stay away from the "shabby chic" b/c the items are not always top quality... otherwise for the most part they are good quality... I am about to start another sales bomb this week (just got in the new Fall catalogs & will be offering a Buy Christmas Presents early & save promo) and every year that gets us about a good $6-$8k in about 2-4 months...

so all in all... pretty good but some products do disappoint...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee
I would stear completely clear of becoming a member of SMC or Specialty Merchandise Corporation or its sister company EMerchant Club. I ordered the initial site over one month ago and never received that and finally when the second website was up and running it did not even have the current fall catalogs on the site. :(
[/quote]

I have to say that EVERYONE I know that has worked with EMC has the same reviews... EMC is over priced and poor customer service...

BUT I can say that IF you put the legwork into it SMC can work... I am guilty of not working it the way I should (unless we need NOW money) and then I do damn good... but IF you choose to start with SMC STAY AWAY FROM EMC... and as far as the business "coaches" go your better off reading the business manual and following that... and trusting your gut and trying to help others because if your in it to help others find the best gift then they know it... if your in it for the $$$ then they will know it too and they will not want to buy from you...

I would NEVER depend on the net for SMC... it is WAAAYYYYY too flooded with WOP products... local is the ONLY way to go with SMC... period

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I have been struggling to make some money at SMC, but to no avail.
I have made about $90.00 total in 5 months, and that was selling to friends.
I have invested about $2,000.00 so far.
I also used Yahoo pay per click to try to attract business, but no orders!
I have given out over 100 catalogs, and only have a couple of friends that registered on the website.
I cannot really understand why no one else registers, even when I plainly put a label on the catalog, saying I will give them a Free $10.00 Gift Card?
I have also tried putting the website on lots of Free Classifieds, and put ads in the local paper, and to my knowledge only one person even knew about the website.
I can only think that something is drastically wrong with the website, since a friend of mine, registered, and was swithed to a website in Lousiana.
I sent a note to SMC, but did not even get a response that made sense.
I am about to give up?
Any suggestions.
the lawsuit sounds like a Great Idea?
Fred Jacobs

Last edited by FredJacobs : 02-13-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 PM

Forget about making any money with SMC, 99% of all the suckers that see the TV commercial and buy into this never make anything....and Never get their investment back.....the business model is to get you to sign up for whatever they can get you up front, then to have one of their telemarketers (they call them business coaches) up sell you with websites and tools to make thousands of people go to your website......Best place to complain is the FTC.....federal Trade Commission.......this is nothing but a bait and switch scam....I have talked to hundreds of people and average loss in between $500 and $4000 depending on how much they were able to get you to buy for websites, webtools and other cyber hype....... Bob Sterling

Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Bob, have you done anything else about SMC since 2006.
I am wondering what I should do next?
FredJacobs

Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Newbie Member

Speciality Merchandise Corporation

Hi

Has anyone ever heard of SMC ie speciality merchandise corporation? The stuff they sent seems to b legit bt yet am nt sure..

Would b a gr8 help if i can recieve some inputs in this regard.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Re: Speciality Merchandise Corporation

They are a legit company. My sil tried it. The problem is HOW are you going to sell the merchandise? Just to family and friends won't make you a steady income. You can't depend on selling online, there is too much competition and even the wholesale prices for some of their products was steep. Will you be willing to host parties to showcase and sell products? Will you be going to fleamarkets and bizarres to sell? Will you be able to price the products low enough that they will actually sell?

Just some things to think about.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Speciality Merchandise Corporation

They're still in business? I used to run an electronics store on the Internet in the late 90's, and I had all kinds of problems with them... like they'd take thousands of dollars from me for a big screen TV, and then not send it to the customer...

It was also impossible to get live inventory status from them... basically they'd let you order any product from their catalog (whether or not they had it in stock) and take your money, then you'd have to wait until they received it.

Maybe they've gotten better, but I would get some references from current clients before getting involved.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thought this Was a Scam But it is Legit!

I work at the Better Business Bureau. So I have access to some very
great research tools. After reading so many favorable savings stories
here about the savings program at: SPAM
I
decided to research the company. I was able to verify that they have
been in business at the same address since 1977 and in that time they
have had no complaints. Excited about my findings I decided to sign up
for their sampler program and I must tell you the savings are even
better than what the company reports. It is exactly what some person
said here when they said it was like shopping at 1970 prices! What a
great way to fight back against todays soaring costs!

Lisa Dermott
Company Investigator IV

Last edited by katiescorner : 06-09-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Banned

Re: Thought this Was a Scam But it is Legit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytankerwell
I work at the Better Business Bureau.

-and-

I was able to verify that they have
been in business at the same address since 1977 and in that time they
have had no complaints.
That's odd because the BBB report shows a business start date of 1OCT1983 and that they have one complaint.
Quote:
Business Contact Information
Name:
WORLD OF PRODUCTS
Address:
P.O. Box 841
Rockville Centre, NY 11571

Original Business Start Date:
10/1/1983

Principal:
Susan Chambers,
Phone Number:
(516) 872-2919
Email Address:
wproducts@yahoo.com
www.worldofproducts.com
Type of Business:
Mail Order & Catalog Shopping
Also, the website in the BBB report is no longer valid and the WhoIs info for worldofproducts shows the following
Quote:
Registrant:
eMerchantClub
996 Flower Glen St.
Simi Valley, CA 93065
US

Domain Name: WORLDOFPRODUCTS.COM

Record expires on 30-Aug-2010.
Record created on 31-Aug-1998.
Database last updated on 8-Jun-2008 07:34:27 EDT.
And the WhoIs for americasdiscounter shows a private registration.
Quote:
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Domain Name: AMERICASDISCOUNTER.COM
Created on: 14-Jun-06
Expires on: 14-Jun-08
Last Updated on: 29-Oct-07
There also seems to be a third website involved, WhoIs info for savingmorethanbefore,
Quote:
Domain name: savingmorethanbefore.com

Registrant Contact:
World of Products
Richard Erben

Box 841
Rockville Centre, NY 11571
US

Creation date: 05 Aug 2007 15:10:57
Expiration date: 05 Aug 2008 15:10:57
Domain tools also shows,
Quote:
Registrant Search: "World of Products" owns about 27 other domains
Of course that doesn't mean they are all owned by the same people. For example there are two other BBB reports for 'theworldofproducts' domain.
Worldofproducts BBB report in Texas.
Worldofproducts BBB report in Oregon.
Both of these are no longer in business per the BBB. However, the TOB classifications are pretty much the same.

EDIT:
Oh, I almost forgot the BBB report for eMerchantClub. And what appears to be the parent company's BBB report, Specialty Merchandise Corporation. Both of these company's are members of the BBB, and have no complaints, but they are not rated by the BBB for some reason. I also found a interesting note in the report for eMerchantClub,
Quote:
Our experience with some seller-assisted marketing plans (SAMPs) is that claims about the plansí income potential, the opportunity to work from your home--part time, if you wish--and the ability to realize success with little or no experience are unfounded.

Complaints about these types of plans allege that the promised assistance was not provided, at least to the extent represented, and that the product or service quality or marketability was misrepresented.

Last edited by nomaxim : 06-08-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Just say you work for someplace and the world will believe it is so? Not here. Does she really think this is original?

Here she is a grocery store manager and actually goes by Sally
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bac...r/message/2602

Here she is a doctor and goes by Arlene:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/p...2/message/4351

There are pages more

Last edited by katiescorner : 06-09-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

Same addres's
The WhoIs info for bestprivateprices shows,
Quote:
Registrant:
Susan Chambers
Box 841
Rockville Centre, New York 11571
United States

Domain Name: BESTPRIVATEPRICES.COM
Created on: 24-Nov-07
Expires on: 25-Nov-08
Last Updated on: 24-Nov-07
The WhoIs info for theshopperadvantage shows,
Quote:
Registrant:
world of products
box 841
rockville centre, New York 11571
United States

Domain Name: THESHOPPERADVANTAGE.COM
Created on: 22-Aug-07
Expires on: 22-Aug-08
Last Updated on: 22-Aug-07
That's what? Four websites so far and they are all less then a year old. In fact, the BBB report is the only thing that suggests they have been in business any longer then a year. I don't believe that the BBB actual checks that info, business start date, you just tell them.

Anyway, don't know if this is the same company, none of the names or the address match up. New York Division of Corporations,
Quote:
Selected Entity Name: WORLD OF PRODUCTS INC. OF NEW YORK

Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: WORLD OF PRODUCTS INC. OF NEW YORK
Initial DOS Filing Date: OCTOBER 28, 1985
County: QUEENS
Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION
Current Entity Status: INACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
WORLD OF PRODUCTS INC. OF NEW YORK
POB 7700
CORONA-ELMHURST STA.
REGO PARK, NEW YORK, 11373-7700
Registered Agent
NONE
BOLD text added by me to highlight business registration date and the fact that they are now inactive. If it is the same company. I haven't confirmed that, but it is the only 'World of Products' in the NY database.

EDIT:
Make that 8 websites, WhoIs info for paymuchless.net
Quote:
Registrant:
Susan Chambers
Box 841
United States

Domain Name: PAYMUCHLESS.NET
Created on: 28-Feb-08
Expires on: 28-Feb-09
Last Updated on: 28-Feb-08
WhoIs info for 1978prices.com,
Quote:
Registrant:
Susan Chambers
Box 841
United States

Domain Name: 1978PRICES.COM
Created on: 17-Mar-08
Expires on: 17-Mar-09
Last Updated on: 17-Mar-08
Also, another private registration, but leads back to the same website as the others. WhoIs for savemoreamerica.com,
Quote:
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Domain Name: SAVEMOREAMERICA.COM
Created on: 22-May-06
Expires on: 22-May-09
Last Updated on: 23-May-08

Last edited by nomaxim : 06-09-2008 at 09:51 AM.