report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Used Car Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Toyota of Dallas destroyed my Rav 4

Please help or direct me to someone who can. My daughter's car was hit by uninsured driver. We thought we were luckily to have uninsured motorize insurance however; we have found out that it covers very little. (To make this whole situation more difficult, I reside in the Houston area and my daughter resides in Dallas). Geico adjuster came to her my daughter's grandmother's house in Dallas and took pictures of the vehicle and did his estimate. My daughter did not feel it was a fair estimate because it did not include any mechanical repairs. She was told by the adjuster to take it somewhere that could look into that.

She took it to Toyota of Dallas. Jr of Collision repair verified that it did need major brake work done. While the vehicle was in his possession he chooses to rip off the bumper and side panel to check for additional body damage. He was never asked to that and certainly never called me for permission.

I am the owner of both the vehicle and the Geico policy holder. My daughter is only 17 and has no legal right to sign any sort of monetary contract. I received a call from the Geico adjuster explaining that they were not going to cover $2000.00 of brake related repairs. The adjuster believed they were not accident related. I called Jr in collision repair and after he verified my out of pocket expense was going to be around $2000.00 I had no choice but to refuse the service and have the vehicle to a less expensive place for the brake repairs.

To this point I still have not seen the vehicle, other than photos Geico posted on their website. From the photos I felt the body damage was not as much of a priority as getting the brakes in workable condition. Jr told me I could not have the vehicle towed off their property until I paid their storage fee, teardown fee (I had assumed brake related) and tow fee.

I paid him $477.37 and another tow service $140.00 to have the vehicle towed to Just Brakes.. My daughter goes to pick up the car and is outraged at its condition. The vehicle has no bumper, no side panel, and no headlight. Just Brakes verified this was the condition it was in upon its arrival to their shop being delivered from your dealership. I called Jr in the collision shop to be told that they don't put damaged parts on vehicles. I told them no one ever told them to remove the parts.

I have never been somewhere that they destroy a person's vehicle like this. Granted there was a little body damage repairs that needed to be made, but now it looks like something in a junk yard. Not to mention is not legal to drive it in this condition. My daughter took it to another body shop and was told just to put the parts back on will be $1700.00; this does not include any body work. I am very outraged about this whole situation and want the dealership to put my vehicle back in the condition it was upon arrival into their shop.

Below are links to photos, after the wreck before going to Toyota of Dallas, After Toyota of Dallas front view. I have other photos available as well.

https://claims.geico.com/(bh4ydiyw4uwzyr45k4svol55)/Temp/230788981_P_2.jpg

https://claims.geico.com/(bh4ydiyw4uwzyr45k4svol55)/Temp/233531432_P_8.jpg

I thank you all in advance for your time and look forward to any help you can provide.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Re: Toyota of Dallas destroyed my Rav 4

LeslieB,

Yes, Toyota of Dallas is owned and managed by Mr. Bill Adkins.
Mr. Adkins also owns Nissan Cars of McKinney and Trophy Nissan.

Mr. Adkins is known for running the worst ethical dealerships in town and has for years had a horrible reputation in the auto industry.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Newbie Member

I do not think brakes wearing out should be included in that damage cost, unless brake failure occured to that car at time of accident. So sorry about your daughter. Good that she is alive.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB
Please help or direct me to someone who can. My daughter's car was hit by uninsured driver. We thought we were luckily to have uninsured motorize insurance however; we have found out that it covers very little. (To make this whole situation more difficult, I reside in the Houston area and my daughter resides in Dallas). Geico adjuster came to her my daughter's grandmother's house in Dallas and took pictures of the vehicle and did his estimate. My daughter did not feel it was a fair estimate because it did not include any mechanical repairs. She was told by the adjuster to take it somewhere that could look into that.

She took it to Toyota of Dallas. Jr of Collision repair verified that it did need major brake work done. While the vehicle was in his possession he chooses to rip off the bumper and side panel to check for additional body damage. He was never asked to that and certainly never called me for permission.

I am the owner of both the vehicle and the Geico policy holder. My daughter is only 17 and has no legal right to sign any sort of monetary contract. I received a call from the Geico adjuster explaining that they were not going to cover $2000.00 of brake related repairs. The adjuster believed they were not accident related. I called Jr in collision repair and after he verified my out of pocket expense was going to be around $2000.00 I had no choice but to refuse the service and have the vehicle to a less expensive place for the brake repairs.

To this point I still have not seen the vehicle, other than photos Geico posted on their website. From the photos I felt the body damage was not as much of a priority as getting the brakes in workable condition. Jr told me I could not have the vehicle towed off their property until I paid their storage fee, teardown fee (I had assumed brake related) and tow fee.

I paid him $477.37 and another tow service $140.00 to have the vehicle towed to Just Brakes.. My daughter goes to pick up the car and is outraged at its condition. The vehicle has no bumper, no side panel, and no headlight. Just Brakes verified this was the condition it was in upon its arrival to their shop being delivered from your dealership. I called Jr in the collision shop to be told that they don't put damaged parts on vehicles. I told them no one ever told them to remove the parts.

I have never been somewhere that they destroy a person's vehicle like this. Granted there was a little body damage repairs that needed to be made, but now it looks like something in a junk yard. Not to mention is not legal to drive it in this condition. My daughter took it to another body shop and was told just to put the parts back on will be $1700.00; this does not include any body work. I am very outraged about this whole situation and want the dealership to put my vehicle back in the condition it was upon arrival into their shop.

Below are links to photos, after the wreck before going to Toyota of Dallas, After Toyota of Dallas front view. I have other photos available as well.

https://claims.geico.com/(bh4ydiyw4uwzyr45k4svol55)/Temp/230788981_P_2.jpg

https://claims.geico.com/(bh4ydiyw4uwzyr45k4svol55)/Temp/233531432_P_8.jpg

I thank you all in advance for your time and look forward to any help you can provide.
You can file a complaint with the BBB, if that does not help, you can go to the Texas Department of Transpertation that issues their Dealer Tags and regulates dealerships in the state of texas.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I am SO sorry to hear about your horrific experience with Toyota of Dallas. Being from the same area I will make note to never use them and pass this info. on to others. I too have been victimized by a repair shop but it was an Econo Lube N Tune. Besides filing a complaint with the BBB you can (and should) file a complaint with the TX Attorney General's office. Here is the link to answer your questions, get you started, and to file a complaint.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/...er.shtml#ifyou

Personally, I think there should be some type of third-party organization that makes sure mechanics are not ripping people off and if they do then they should have to pay MAJOR consequences.

Good luck!!! :)

Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I am new at Scam.com

You should also check into the law about charging you to remove your vehicle from the dealer. In California by law, you can take your vehicle out of the shop even if you cant pay. I think this is an illegal move by the dealer. They did work without your consent and made you pay before you could take the vehicle. Look into the law on that one.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 AM

They have a bad record with the BBB:

http://www.dallas.bbb.org/commonrepo...3&gen=13&lid=1

Old 08-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Newbie Member

I drive a vehicle from Toyota of Dallas as do many (5) of my friends, my parents and neighbors and we LOVE our vehicles. The service I have received has been outstanding. I'm sorry about your issue but there seems to be more to that story. They also can't be responsible for third party vendors. A dealership as big as Dallas Toyota can't possibly please every customer but I do get the feeling they try. I've had issues with my BMW dealership before I drove Toyota and I have come to the realization that no one is capable of satisfying unrealistic expectations. I expected great service from BMW but I get better service at Toyota of Dallas.

Also, that guy who says he knows the owner and his reputation sounds like a fired former employee. I met the owner and manager and his name is not "Bill".

Good luck to you! I'm actually on my way to Dallas Toyota with my little sister who is going to buy a new Scion!!! ; )

Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 PM

Catina,

You sound like a care salesman/saleswomen whom IS an emplyee at Toyota fo Dallas.

I am not a former employee and have never been in the car industry the least little bit. Never would. I would not enjoy trying to milk consumers for every penny they can, every transaction. I don't have a problem with business trying to make a profit. But car dealerships try and screw as many people as possible as much as possible. And Toyota of Dallas and Mr. Adtkins dealership is the worst.

My wife actually knows the owners wife very well. We have both been to there home in West Plano. Mr. Adkins wife is very sweet lady. I am sad for her.

Bill Adkins owns, Toyota of Dallas, Nissan Cars of McKinney, and Trophy Nissan. He is one of the few people who have franchised out a Vantiele (sp?) dealership.

David Kelly ( the younger guy) is just the GM.

The original poster is correct. The dealership had no right to tear off parts from the car and did not have authorization to peform the work yet.

The sign of a good dealership is, how do they make an effort to correct a problem once it occurs. You are right, EVERY dealeship will not be able to make everyone happy. But, the question is, do they make a good faith effort to resolve a problem once it occurs? Or do they run from a problem after the collect their money?

I have met both Bill Adkins and David Kelly, They are both Jerks!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Occupant Ilied Industries

I think it's Van Tyul or something. They bought out Westway back in 1997. Own Van Chevrolet among others.

Unless the brake problems were CAUSED by the accident (brake lines ruptured by moving sheetmetal, suspension damage from accident forces, etc), GEICO is not responsible for fixing them. Like if I drive my truck into town and someone hits me, Safeco (my insurance), is not responsible for replacing my windshield which is already cracked in two places, my brakes which don't work well above 40mph, or my tailgate which is a different color from the rest of the truck, unless those parts are damaged *IN* the wreck.

As for ToD pulling damaged parts off the RAV4, you're going to have to pull them off anyway to replace them, yes? No? If they pulled GOOD panels off your vehicle, then they are obligated to put them back on CORRECTLY and charge you only for retaining clips and other such neccessities. Not $1700 for reassembly. ToD should have asked permission of you before taking those damaged panels off, but it doesn't matter now.

Next time, let GEICO handle everything. If ToD screws it up, let GEICO deal with them. When you get involved, more bad things happen. That's what you pay GEICO a premium for...to handle crap when it happens. I know if my wife wrecks her car, that my company will handle everything from the rental car to the car repairs. If it doesn't happen fast enough, I'll call my insurance agent and have him deal with it. That's what they're there for.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Newbie Member

Dear Cowboy, or rather REDNECK Jimmy,

You are wrong on soooo many levels. First, NO, I am not a car saleswoman and I have NEVER worked for Toyota Dallas and my parents would not appreciate me using my degree to sale cars. I'm not in sales. I am sure that you are really a former fired employee because you know way too much or think you do anyway. Who cares about someone's wife unless she works there. Second, my family and our friends have bought from there for more then 20 years and they have changed ownership multiple times maybe. Who cares!! As long as they treat us right, we are so there.

If you know the family why are you so eager to defame them, are you a customer? I asked about your so-called facts during a recent service visit and they found them laughable and untrue. There are obviously more facts to this case but the professionals and manager I spoke to said they are not at liberty to discuss another customer's case. Sounds reasonable. They are President Award winners for multiple years so obviously they have excellent customer service, beyond this customer who must have more to the story but doesn't want to share all the facts.

What happened to you, did they decline your credit to purchase or not want to give you a friend hook up? My friend got denied because she needs a cosigner but even she is not bitter like you are.

I don't care, I like them and obviously many do because they were PACKED when I went to pick up my car and everyone was smiling and eating the free donuts.

Get a life, or get a job, buddy!!!!!

[/quote]

Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catina View Post

TOYOTA OF DALLAS IS AWESOME!!! DAVID KELLEY IS AWESOME!

You are wrong on soooo many levels. First, NO, I am not a car saleswoman and I have NEVER worked for Toyota Dallas and my parents would not appreciate me using my degree to sale cars. I'm not in sales. I am sure that you are really a former fired employee because you know way too much or think you do anyway. Who cares about someone's wife unless she works there. Second, my family and our friends have bought from there for more then 20 years and they have changed ownership multiple times maybe. Who cares!! As long as they treat us right, we are so there.

If you know the family why are you so eager to defame them, are you a customer? I asked about your so-called facts during a recent service visit and they found them laughable and untrue. There are obviously more facts to this case but the professionals and manager I spoke to said they are not at liberty to discuss another customer's case. Sounds reasonable. They are President Award winners for multiple years so obviously they have excellent customer service, beyond this customer who must have more to the story but doesn't want to share all the facts.

What happened to you, did they decline your credit to purchase or not want to give you a friend hook up? My friend got denied because she needs a cosigner but even she is not bitter like you are.

I don't care, I like them and obviously many do because they were PACKED when I went to pick up my car and everyone was smiling and eating the free donuts.

[/quote]

TOYOTA OF DALLAS IS AWESOME!!! DAVID KELLEY IS AWESOME!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Newbie Member

Toyota Of Dallas Is Awesome!!! David Kelley Is Awesome!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Newbie Member

Bill Adkins and Toyota of Dallas are Awesome!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by catina View Post

[/quote]

Catina may not be employed there but certainly sounds like she has had a "special relationship" with one or two of the managers. Based on her sentence structure, "...using my degree to sale cars," if I were her, I would ask for a refund on that degree. Did they not teach you the inappropriateness of ad hominem attacks when presenting a viable argument, honey?

EVERYONE that has lived in the DFW area for any length of time has heard horror stories for years about those dealerships. They continue to give the business a very bad name. Regardless of what drivel Catina spews, avoid, avoid, avoid!