report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Science Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Diamond Member

The Jurassic Park Dilemma..?

Science, in theory, has forecast their ability one day to literally bring back a species of living thing, that had perhaps long since become extinct.

Who knows, we may even be able to do this with the largest creatures, such as the dinoaurs?

My question is this..?

If we reacht this point in science, should we do it?

Should we attempt to bring back an extinct species?

One one hand, I am wary of it.

Bringing back a species that was not part of the present system, might throw the ecology of a region, or even the planet, out of kilter.

For example, what impact would it have were we to bring back the biggest and most dangerous of dinosaurs?

WIth their sheer size and appetite, their presence would surely have an effect on all other life on the planet.

That said, perhaps there is an arguement for it.

In a case were man has accelerated the extinction of a species before it's time, or reduced it's number, we could redress the balance there, imo.

Thoughts..?
new technologies.
There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Bookmark and Share

Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 AM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Re: The Jurassic Park Dilemma..?

I wonder if an extinct species could survive anymore.

The ecosystem today is going to be very, very different to what it was 65 million years ago. Their instincts may have worked for catching and killing other dinosaurs, but I don't know if they would be capable of hunting down small mammals.

Their immune system is going to be 65 million years out of date as well, there are probably viruses etc..

If we could overcome those problems should we do it?

I'm wary of it as well. Thats not say I don't think it should be done, I just think it should be done very, very carefully. Any increase in biodiversity is a good thing. If they can't survive in today's ecosystem, well at least we gave them a chance.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazza
I wonder if an extinct species could survive anymore.

The ecosystem today is going to be very, very different to what it was 65 million years ago. Their instincts may have worked for catching and killing other dinosaurs, but I don't know if they would be capable of hunting down small mammals.

Their immune system is going to be 65 million years out of date as well, there are probably viruses etc..

If we could overcome those problems should we do it?

I'm wary of it as well. Thats not say I don't think it should be done, I just think it should be done very, very carefully. Any increase in biodiversity is a good thing. If they can't survive in today's ecosystem, well at least we gave them a chance.
I am sure they could survive, the current conditions?

In the case of the dinosaurs, it has never been properly established what wiped out a whole genus.

One theory is perhaps some sort of virus that their immune system could not deal with.

That is possible, and it is also possible that the virus itself is now extinct, and therefore, the species would thrive?

If we replicated the biggest or most fearesome dinosaurs, would they be a threat to man, or more likely, like elephants or lions, to keep away from man, and show a shyness?
new technologies.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 AM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment
I am sure they could survive, the current conditions?

In the case of the dinosaurs, it has never been properly established what wiped out a whole genus.

One theory is perhaps some sort of virus that their immune system could not deal with.

That is possible, and it is also possible that the virus itself is now extinct, and therefore, the species would thrive?

If we replicated the biggest or most fearesome dinosaurs, would they be a threat to man, or more likely, like elephants or lions, to keep away from man, and show a shyness?
What I mean is that their potential prey nowadays will have very different behavioural patterns to what they were feeding on in their times. I doubt they were the ultimate killers that they are portrayed to be in movies. Some may survive, but who knows. I doubt something that size could move fast enough to catch a lion, or a horse. A T-rex probably wouldn't have the agility to catch a dog or cat. On top of that the nutrition they obtain from eating mammals may be differnt to that from reptiles.

I don't know though, just speculating.

Also, viruses are constantly evolving. Its an arms race between our immune system and the viruses. The dinosaurs have been out of that arms race for a long time, so the equivalent of a common cold may kill them.

I don't think they would be a threat to man. Maybe a man caught alone and unarmed in the wilderness, yes, but I'm sure an elephant rifle would bring them down :)

Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazza
What I mean is that their potential prey nowadays will have very different behavioural patterns to what they were feeding on in their times. I doubt they were the ultimate killers that they are portrayed to be in movies. Some may survive, but who knows. I doubt something that size could move fast enough to catch a lion, or a horse. A T-rex probably wouldn't have the agility to catch a dog or cat. On top of that the nutrition they obtain from eating mammals may be differnt to that from reptiles.

I don't know though, just speculating.

Also, viruses are constantly evolving. Its an arms race between our immune system and the viruses. The dinosaurs have been out of that arms race for a long time, so the equivalent of a common cold may kill them.

I don't think they would be a threat to man. Maybe a man caught alone and unarmed in the wilderness, yes, but I'm sure an elephant rifle would bring them down :)
Of course, dinosaurs is a generic term, and in that, you had thousands of different species, some tiny, some huge, some that ate meat, and those that ate plants.

Many were very fleet footed, and could easily catch a dog or cat, to use your example.

The creatures the meat eaters fed on at that time, were probably not that unlike those that exist today, therefore, I do not think diet would be the big problem.

Viruses?

Yes, it could go the way you describe, or not, time would tell.

I guess there is also the danger of that, in reverse, that is to say, a species brought back to life, could be carrying a virus that would harm animals and mankind...?
new technologies.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 AM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment
I guess there is also the danger of that, in reverse, that is to say, a species brought back to life, could be carrying a virus that would harm animals and mankind...?
Thats very true. I forgot about that. I think that would be a much bigger problem.

If they were wiped out by a virus, I think we'd probably be careful about reintroducing that DNA.

On the other hand, if we were able to create dinosaurs, we could create a Jurassic Park style zoo, raise plenty of money to further study the ecosystem, and hence solve any of the problems bringing dinosaurs to life would have caused in the first place :)

Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Diamond Member

Of course the original question, the most pertinent, is "should we do it." The answer to that question will be all over the board depending on ones religious, moral or other ethical standards. We're going through that now with embrionic stem cell research. The reality is though, whether or not we should, if we can make it happen, someone will eventually. Just like the A bomb.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie
Of course the original question, the most pertinent, is "should we do it." The answer to that question will be all over the board depending on ones religious, moral or other ethical standards. We're going through that now with embrionic stem cell research. The reality is though, whether or not we should, if we can make it happen, someone will eventually. Just like the A bomb.
YES!?that's the PRICE of freedom!?a freedom we all participate in!?and at the same time!?a freedom that is REGULATED by MEN and god!?for if you think for 1 minute that the regulations of MEN have so far CONTROLLED the ASSOCIATED FREEDOM made ACCESSABLE you are just NOT paying ATTENTION!?or if you prefer,the associated regulations of men have so far NOT stimulated the WILDEST dreams of the frontrunners DUE to the FINANCIAL concerns of same!?take your pick!?it saves us all!?from the headstrong ways of the unincumbered by religious values!?take japan for example!?their attitude on sex!?they are COMPLETELY lacking in western or puritan ideas on the subject!?did i mention any other asian countries!?hehe!!but in the same regard....what damage has been done!?what grudge do they hold!?what moral indignation do they defend to the death!?or imprisonment!?hehe!!so goes this example for ALL regulation!?it MUST BE BY EXAMPLE and NOT words!?take the swartz's latest speech at the so and so on c-span!?I LIKED IT!?he only came for the JACKET!?hehe!!and this a disclaimer if you will!?what he came to say is....why cant we all just get along by cooperation for the GOOD of the PUBLIC!?hehe!!and i was moved to his message but then realized he is NOT the man to get it DONE!?(by himself!?)no,for it is ABOVE all men because by logic any man is FALLIBLE!?so how can PURE trust be acheived in a MAN!?cant happen!?WHAT!?you think i'm WRONG!?so then....only trust can be acheived in principles BACKED by EXAMPLES that do NOT exclude ANY HUMAN BEING!?(the public at LARGE!?).....HOW hard is THAT you ask!?...well,to QUOTE the jesus man of resident authority in power in america!?GLAD YOU ASKED!?hehe!!.....just askin.....

Last edited by lexx : 03-03-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Newbie Member

We have the ability to clone cells from DNA, so why can't we do this?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguniversity1
We have the ability to clone cells from DNA, so why can't we do this?
Monotheistic influence?

Fear?

Ignorance?

What do you think?
new technologies.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

I say, let's do it! Ted Kennedy needs company.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

No thanks. I don't want to see any escaped t-rexes running through my neighborhood stomping everything!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlawton
No thanks. I don't want to see any escaped t-rexes running through my neighborhood stomping everything!
But would they though?

Seriously.

Or would they perhaps shy away from man, in the manner that most predatory creatures do?

I don't see many lions and tigers out of my bedroom window, of an evening!

Steve
new technologies.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Supreme Adjudicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipper
I say, let's do it! Ted Kennedy needs company.
No, he needs AA.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quertol
No, he needs AA.
True....:D

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

GODZILLA RULES!!!!!?.....ok,it's all i could think of!?.........hehe!!.....just askin...