report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2005, 04:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Magazine Phone Scam

Anyone else experience this? Over the past couple months in my new home, I've been receiving phone calls from "my magazine" company. I did have some subscriptions a couple of months ago, but have since cancelled them.

The company calls, the woman said she is from "MS" or "Magazine Services." The number on my caller ID is usually 999-999-9999. This past time it came up as Tom How (508-934-0717). I called it back after the call and it said the Verizon Wireless subscriber you are trying to reach is no longer available.

The call goes like this:

woman: "are you getting your magazines on time? blah blah Are you getting renewal notices? blah blah We're going to offer you a great deal, you are one of our best customers, we are going to pay for your magazines for the rest of the year, all you pay for is shipping costs ($19.16)"

Now before I ever even agree to anything, she says "I am new hear, so my manager would like to check up on me to make sure I'm doing a good job. Would you mind putting in a good word for me?" This happens EVERY TIME.

The manager comes on the phone, asks me how she did, then starts asking me about my hobbies and says they're going to send some free magazines about my hobbies.

Then it hits..... he tells me all they have to do now is verify that I am the holder of the account. "Now if you could grab your credit card, we just have to verify your CC number." They ask me for the expiration date and the CC number.

Now I've had this happen about 5 times now. I tell them I'm not comfortable giving out that info on the phone, and they tell me that I have nothing to worry about, Visa has fraud protection blah blah blah. I've had different variations of this happen to me. I hung up on the last guy in mid call when he asked for my CC number, and he called me right back.

I've talked to this people a number of times now, each one seems to have a different story. Sometimes they tell me "Now what do you have, a visa? okay, now if you could give me the cc number, it starts with a 4...." They almost had me there, then I learned from a friend that every visa starts with a 4.

Anyone else have any similar calls?

Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Magazine Phone Scam

Yes, I get those as well. I 'fell" for one their spiels about 5 years ago and well, Im stuck with about 200 lbs of magazines I dont even read. luckily, i dont fall for their calls anymore. I just say "not interested' and hang up. im on the last year for all my mags, so that's a good thing

Youre not alone. It happens. They also send out 'snail' mail post cards with something like

"Such and SUch we've been tryng to contact you! URGENT. Call this #####"

and no inkling as to who sent it or why. But I have come to recognize those post cards as well.