report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 03:34 PM

Is Cashback Research a scam?

Hi:
I was just searching online and came upon an ad for a company called Cashback Research. According to their website, they pay one via paypal and gift cards. Unlike a lot of similar websites that I've come across they provide contact information, but when I went to look them up on the Better Business Bureau they were not listed. So, I was just wondering whether this operation is a scam? If not, has anyone done anything with them before? If so, what was your experience like? Their website is: www.cashbackresearch.com
Finally, I was just wondering if anybody out there happened to know of a legitimate company that paid people to take surveys from home via cash, check or paypal not points.
Thanks
amitt

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Re: Is Cashback Research a scam?

The answer to your question lies in their "about us" section: It is not a get-rich quick scheme or even a realistic part-time job. To date we have given out, along with our sister survey sites, over $275,000.00 in cash payments for having taken surveys and completing other online activities.

REAL consumer research companies like Bakerstreet, Focus Forward, etc, never ask you to "complete other online activities"., I'm will to bet those other activities are "offer sites".

Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitt View Post
Hi:
I was just searching online and came upon an ad for a company called Cashback Research. According to their website, they pay one via paypal and gift cards. Unlike a lot of similar websites that I've come across they provide contact information, but when I went to look them up on the Better Business Bureau they were not listed. So, I was just wondering whether this operation is a scam? If not, has anyone done anything with them before? If so, what was your experience like? Their website is: www.cashbackresearch.com
Finally, I was just wondering if anybody out there happened to know of a legitimate company that paid people to take surveys from home via cash, check or paypal not points.
Thanks
amitt
At this point, I wouldn't know whether or not to say that this site is a scam. I recently retired and, having a lot of time on my hands, I thought I'd see if I could make a few bucks on the PC. I am fairly savvy with the internet and I figured that if I could put in a couple of hours a day, I might manage to pull in a few bucks. Couldn't hurt, right? So, I googled for sites offering gigs to make cash at home. I got a bazillion hits.

At my age, I've been around the block a few times and am familiar with most of the money scams out there. You've got your MLM scams (multi-level marketing) which promise you the world, but really only make money for the people at the top. Sort of like a pyramid scheme. The idea is to sell the idea of making money to others, thus the multi-level aspect. If you are familiar with Amway or Mary Kay, you know the story. Anyway, these deals were not for me, so on to the next idea.

It seems that there are an unlimited number of sites that promise an income by merely taking surveys. Really? I've got time, so, perhaps I could take some surveys, right? So, without further ado, I joined CashResearch.com, and a lot of others. I decided to use the shotgun approach for a couple of reasons. One, I figured that not all of the sites would pan out for one reason or another and, two, these surveys didn't pay very much. . .$.05 to two or three dollars in most cases, with some exceptions.

You might be thinking like I did, that, hey, no matter. I can do one survey after another, five cents, ten cents, or twenty five cents each, and still make it worth my time, right? And the surveys offered for several bucks or more would even be better, right again? Well, not so fast. I found out a few things about this site, and others (they seem to all have about the same format--big surprise there) that had a chilling effect on this money making idea. To begin with, you don't just take a survey. In most cases, you need to be "evaluated". Now, to most of us, that would imply that you are a living, breathing, human with habits and can be surveyed. To most of these sites, though, it means you will have to jump through hoops. For example, in one survey I attempted to enter, when I hit the evaluate button, I was informed that the survey was for a debt consolidation company. However, in order to "qualify" for the survey, I would have had to actually apply for their service. That's right. In order to take this survey for this company, I would have had to apply for their service. I declined. In another survey, which was for Netflix, in order to qualify and take the survey, I would have had to order the service. That's right, I would have had to order the product, at a cost of eight or ten dollars, in order to spend 30 minutes or more on a survey that would only have paid a few bucks at the most. When I clicked on one survey after another to see what each one wanted, it started to become clear to me that this site, and others like it, were trying to get me to buy product from the people being surveyed. Many of the surveys required a cash outlay and even a credit card. Starting to sound like something other than merely taking a survey now, huh? Oh, and if you decline the product or service, you can't "confirm" the survey and the site will not pay you. And, to add insult to injury, you cannot even get paid until you reach an arbitrary figure, like $25.00. Trust me on this, when you start adding up the time spent doing these surveys, including the ones that didn't work out for you for one reason or another, and the small amounts you are trying to earn, you will discover that you are probably working for twenty to fifty cents an hour, at best. Even for someone like myself with all the time in the world, that is not a good deal.

So, is this site really a scam? Let's just say that it bends the truth a hell of a whole lot. Can you make money? I guess, but you'll spent way more hours than it's worth. The site advertises that it's easy to pick up $150 or so a month, which sounded ok to me at first for doing what I thought would be simple survey taking. However, it has become clear to me that to earn $150 in one month, I'd probably have to put in 40 hour weeks, and that just isn't going to happen.

My final advice to you or anyone who wants to try this site or others like it is, first, use a secondary e-mail address, not your primary one, because, as you might imagine, you are going to get a ton of spam. Secondly, be realistic about the time you spend doing this. It's easy to lose track of time spent at the computer (I know because I'm a gamer). If you find, as I did, that you are only averaging a dime or so an hour, let it go. Lastly, don't be sucked into giving up credit card information or entering into any contracts in order to gain two or three bucks for the survey. In my opinion, I think these sites probably are making money from kickbacks from people taking surveys, knowing in advance that a certain percentage of these survey-takers will do just that.

I wrote a long reply, but I wanted to make sure that I answered completely and fairly described my experiences with these sites. I hope what I wrote here is helpful. Now, hopefully, if you do decide to try one or more of these sites, you'll at least have an idea of what you are getting yourself into. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Hi:
Thanks so much for answering my questions about Cashback Research. I certainly won't be singing up with them. I did however just sign up with www.surveysavvy.com
I looked up Focus Forward and Bakerstreet and each got an F Rating and no rating from the BBB respectively. Does anyone happen to know of any survey sites in additon to www.surveysavvy.com that offer payment for taking surveys in the form of cash, check or pay pal?
Thanks again.
amitt

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Focus Forward got an F? That is insane.. I've done tons of research projects with them and gotten paid. I can't imagine why they would get an F unless people are mad that they aren't qualifying for the studies. SurveySavvy is a great company. I personally haven't done any projects with Bakerstreet in a few years because my youngest is too old for the projects now but I did some awesome studies with them, the last one was baby wipes and I got a TON of wipes and they paid $50 for the study.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I am new at Scam.com

ok I have evaluated cash back research and regretfully can confirm they are a scam site.

You will get paid 2 times then you will find no credit for surveys completed, or the survey site has an error when you complete it
after several tickets sent they will claim that if you have a relative who uses the same external panel ie toluna you will only be credited once, quite clever if your relative lives in a separate country from your own

to this date cashback research owes me around £20 but i am sure i will not be refunded for my time

my opinion. Use them for 2 payments then drop them

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Information is Power

As long as you don't invest your own money or give out things like your SS# to take the surveys, I say give them a try. There are survey companies I make money from that people call scams and vise versa.

As long as the only thing at risk is you wasting a few minutes of your time, you never know.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

People have mixed reviews about this site. I would not know for sure where to place it. At times some say it is a scam and then also at times they say it is legit so am also confused.