report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Melaleuca - Unethical Practices

I have repeatedly called to cancel a recurring order with Melaleuca. I have honestly stated that I am utterly broke, do not own a printer, fax machine, nor even have the money for a stamp to send in a signed request to cancel the recurring order. Melaleuca continues to ignore my request that they stop making attempts to charge my debit card and refuses to cancel the monthly recurring order. Melaleuca claims that a signature is needed to cancel the order but a signature was not required when it was initially set up! It is an absolutely unethical business practice to claim that a recurring order cannot be canceled with a phone a call.

The above complaint was filed with the Better Business Bureau after repeated phone calls to Melaleuca.

Melaleuca knows that in today's high speed society, most people aren't going to send a snail mail letter to cancel an order...and the average person doesn't own a fax machine.

Now you know the secret to Melaleuca's high customer retention rate.

I am intimately familiar with a "no cancellations by phone" policy because a previous business partner implemented that policy for a company we put together. I left the company soon after because it is absolutely unethical.

Last edited by OnPatrol : 05-07-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Cranky Old Fart

Re: Melaleuca - Unethical Practices

Well, the good news, Patrol, is that if you're utterly broke, then they'll have a hard time charging anything to your debit/credit card!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
Well, the good news, Patrol, is that if you're utterly broke, then they'll have a hard time charging anything to your debit/credit card!
certainly not hard to go to your bank and change the account number and/or show them that you have not authorized the debits.
I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
certainly not hard to go to your bank and change the account number and/or show them that you have not authorized the debits.
I called my bank and they had to cancel my card and issue another to me to prevent any further transactions from Melaleuca.

This does not prevent me from accumulating debt with Melaleuca. They claim I owe them $64.50 for an order I told them I did not want.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Don't pet an angry bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPatrol View Post
I called my bank and they had to cancel my card and issue another to me to prevent any further transactions from Melaleuca.

This does not prevent me from accumulating debt with Melaleuca. They claim I owe them $64.50 for an order I told them I did not want.
I would welcome the scumbags trying to collect.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPatrol View Post

I'm curious how you can't afford a stamp, but can afford internet access.
I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 AM
The fly in your Anti-MLM ointment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
Looks like Doc finally landed on a subject he knows a little something about, being broke!
― Criss Jami
BEWARE:Joecool44, aka 'joecool', anti-MLM fanatic, Trolls here anonymously!!
Click Here!
Joecools ugliest LIE!...~"I'm not hiding my identity."
Some common sense Re:MLM/DS can be found, here...!! Click Here

Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Diamond Member

Something that has MLM written all over it doing something unethical and screwing people out of money?

I have never heard of anything like that? Have you?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
I'm curious how you can't afford a stamp, but can afford internet access.
In your world, is internet service something you have to put coins in each day or is it something you pay in monthly or yearly installments?

Anyway...

After submitting a complaint to the BBB, Melaleuca cancelled my account and voided all monies owed to them.

Interesting that it takes the BBB getting involved. This certainly flies in the face of Melaleuca's claim that it takes a signature to cancel the account.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Unfortunately, a lot of companies are like this. Bally Total Fitness required a written letter cancelling my membership which they many times "never recieved" and wouldn't take an e-mailed gif/jpeg of the letter, nor a fax. That gym was terrible anyway and I am pretty sure they're closing down a bunch. Not suprising.

CoolGrey: [Son concerned with is parents choice to join Amway] After one last heated argument with my mom, I have been kicked out for "being too negative" and "bringing so much negativity home" (just got home from college)

ChrisDoyle: I have to be honest I'm with your parents on this one.