report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Used Car Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
The fly in your Anti-MLM ointment...

Re: car buying do's and don't's

Sorry, I sold cars for over five years. Toyota, Chevrolet, & Oldsmobile.

I agree with parts of your post, but parts are just plain WRONG.

Lying to the salesperson and blatant manipulation will get you NOWHERE. These guys sit around all day waiting for customers like this so they can go have some fun with them! The ONLY thing you have real control over when your on their turf, is your presence.

My best advice, KNOW exactly what you want, do some research on the car you want to buy, as well as your trade in and what it's worth (KNOW, ...don't guess, KNOW what your trade-in's worth in the real world!) Also realize that the key reason you won't get full pop for your trade-in, is the fact that trading your car into the dealership is easy & convenient. You'll pay for that priviledge, but IMHO, it's worth it.

If you can, & your brave enough, slip into the salesmen's shoes and SELL your TRADE-IN yourself. You'll get more $ for it and you'll have a new respect & perspective on the whole sales process itself.

Be realistic in your expectations. On average there's about a 10-15% profit margin on any new vehicle, PERIOD. (USED cars ??, different story!) Walking into a dealership, expecting to buy a new $40,000.00 vehicle for 30K is UNREALISTIC, and your setting yourself up for a frustrating buying experience. Dealerships RARELY sell a vehicle and take a loss.

Quote:
Don't tell them that you have a car you want to trade in. Again the idea here is to get you to think that your trade will take care of the down payment and get you thinking about the monthly payment to get your mind off what you are actually paying for the vehicle. After you agree on the price, you can always turn around and ask, "OK, what will you give me for my trade?"
This is the worst advice possible! :eek: Dragging your trade into the deal last, out of left field, is crazy!?? Especially if you owe money on it! It's like saying, "Let's figure out the best possible deal first, then we'll drag the trade into it, so we can start all over & we can find the real figures! It makes NO SENSE. The numbers are what the numbers are. Every deal's different, especially when there's a trade-in concerned. It's tantamount to looking for a roommate, you interview several, you finally find a great candidate, he's gainfully employed, has excellent referrences, meets all your requirements etc,... When he shows up to move in, he has two doberman's & a crazy-as-a-loon Uncle that lives with him that he "forgot" to tell you about! It changes EVERYTHING.

Don't get too attatched to anything. Be prepared to WALK AWAY at any moment. Your willingness to "walk" is your biggest assett. USE IT!

Not ALL car salesmen are crooks either. I myself pride myself on my personnal & professional integrity, but how would any customer know that?(HINT: Don't know an "honest" car salesman? Ask for referrals!) It's one of the key reasons I left car sales, people generally wouldn't know the truth if it stared them in the face. MANY times I told the customer the truth, only to loose the sale to a salesman down the street cause they were told what they wanted to hear, which was NOT the TRUTH.

It's a business like any other. They are there to make a profit. Your research & due diligence will make the difference.

If you don't want to deal with the dealerships process of holding a profit margin, buy a Saturn or a Scion. NO negotiations there. :D

Hope that helps, some.

Kerry

Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Re: applying hitlerism in vehicle sales!

Let me guess, you didn't have any money to put down for the new vehicle either, did you?

Besides, if you're still 3k upside down after two years of paying on it, it's not time for a new vehicle either!

Nothing's going to change those numbers no matter what dealership you're at.

Try doing a deal with some tangeable equity and your experience will be a little different I would imagine.

As for your transmission problem, Dodge,...IMHO, has quite a bad reputation for those particular "issues". Next time try a Toyota truck, or at least a Chevy, ...or a Ford even! Dodge trucks are rattle traps. JMO

Kerry

Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

thanks for all your input. i am however having my car repaired at that dealership at their cost. lets just say i have gotten over my little hissy fit! howerever. i'm going else where with my buisness next week.
to be honest, my city does not have a that high of crediblillty for any of the car dealerships in town.
but then again, when has there ever been a dealership that hasn't been degraded!

Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

During the "quality drive" did they know you were going to back out of purchase? Of course not... (wrong!)

they did, i was only there for a credit approval,
and this fact only agitated the seller even more, because he knew i would not be an official guarantee for him,
as a matter of fact, that is not the only thing have to complain about.
he was a total jerk! how he has managed to keep his is job is absolutely
oblivious to me.
all i kept hearing was no but then he would go to contradict himself that i was qualified, for just about anything in the lot with no money down.
he just wanted me to leave so i was no longer a waste of his time.
if you were in my same predicament, don't you think you atleast think you deserve the time to look around and gain an idea of what you want instead of being told what you want. that is my grief.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 AM
-- ---- --------, ---- ----.

1. I used to work automotive service for the largest dealership in my area... dealerships DO NOT sabotage cars to get business for the service department. They're busy enough and don't need to 'create a job' (sales department and service department rarely work together on anything since they barely tolerate each other)... but that's ok... you know the car business.

2. Take your business elsewhere.

Do you have a friend of the family who sells cars?? Do you know somebody in the business? Until you develop a friend 'on the inside' you will always feel shorted in any car deal... anywhere.

Have fun car shopping

Old 03-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takethemout701
recently, i had gone out and tried to trade in my vehicle for a another one.
everything was going fine until i had learned that i had to trade it in for an even newer one than the vehicle i owned (2005 dodge).
when i wasn't willing to pay more than what i had to pay every month,
i cancelled the sale and called off my interests in purchasing a new car.
during this half transaction of mine, the car dealer i was going through for the new vehicle took my vehicle for a quality drive to determine what i would get for it in kelly blue book. i was allowed the maximum but i was still 3,000
underneith the overall payoff. so in order to get a new car, i had to upgrade to a vehicle that i couldn't afford, however...
this drive they took with my car only lasted 5 min.5 days later, my transmission went out and i had to get my car repaired (through my manufactory warranty) at the same dealership that i cancelled my prior sale with!
funny how that worked out, heh?

now i have to trade in my vehicle for a newer one.
all i can ask is: someone please evaluate the legitamacy at kimberly chrysler and dodge in davenport, ia.
Never, ever tell the dealership that you plan to trade in your car until you have the deal you want. Same's true for financing. A dealer is going to try to divert all of your attention to the down payment and the monthly payment so you won't worry about the selling price and the trade value. Don't fall into their trap. When they ask if you have a trade say no in no uncertain terms. When they ask how you will pay for the car tell them that financing is already arranged. Now they have nothing to talk about but how much profit are they going to have to give up to get you to buy a car. You can always later say "Well I'm planning to sell my car myself but if you want to make a bid go right ahead." And, "I have financing in place but I'm always looking for the best value. What do you have to offer?"

Dealers love to talk a few dollars in a monthly payment as apposed to hundreds or even thousands in the selling price. And if you have already beat them up on the price of their car, giving up some trade dollars on your part might be an even better deal than selling it yourself. A good deal is a good deal.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

beware lee dodge of commack

lee dodge is a complete fraud dealership all they want to do is make quick money by financing dealers all over newyork,they are wanted in banking fraud,dmv fraud,they will be shut down very soon,they have broker deals for several fraud dealers,those dealers have served time for fraud deals,odometer fraud,frame damage cars,over stated equipments for banking advance on these loans,fraud paystubs,fraud identifications.lee dodge has to buy all these cars back soon.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: beware lee dodge of commack

Junior, you need to post some links to news reports, docket numbers, or any other documentation that supports your allegations; otherwise, you may be dismissed as a simple googleslanderer.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wesley Chapel Toyota

http://www.wesleychapeltoyota.com/

My wife and I bought an Infiniti from this dealership. The car was listed as an excellent condition Infiniti that needed no refurbishment. We took it for a test drive, fell in love with it. My wife takes it home and when shes bringing it back to the house that night, she notices the passenger side headlight is out. She asks me to take it up to the dealership (1 hour away) the next day while shes at work. So I take it and after a 3 hour wait they say they can't fix it, its not the bulb, its the ballast. So my wife is infuriated. Wesley Chapel Toyota recommends that we take it to an Infiniti dealership to get it fixed. When we get there, the service guy immediately asks us "what happened to the wood trims?" When we look in side, he points out that the wood trim had been ripped out. We were taken aback. Wasn't this the car that needed no refurbishment? As he looks the car over more, I notice the bumper is sticking out on the same side as the messed up headlight. Sure enough, he sees evidence of it being in a wreck. The hood was raised up half an inch. Now, most of you are probably thinking "How did you not notice this at first?" It had been a long day of negotiating with the Toyota dealership and we actually didn't have that long of a test drive in it. So then we take it back to the dealership, they tell us theres nothing we can do about it, we've signed the papers. My wife pleads to just get the contract ripped up, give her back her Altima (which was in pristine condition) and that we wouldn't have a problem. The sales manager then comes in and its all I could do not to lunge across the desk and throttle him. He was rude and abrasive and almost caused my wife to cry, and let me tell you, she never cries. So we storm out, call Infiniti, a lawyer, and finally calm down. We go in and tell them the steps we've taken and they start to tell us they will do whatever to make us happy, they will fix the car, so we start to talk. Fixing the car is obvious, they sold us a car that wasn't what they had said it was. We ask them what else they will do to make my wife happy. They literally could offer nothing else. Not even a rental car while they work on her car. So now we're stuck with one car while they fix a problem that should have already been fixed before we even saw the car.

Stay away from Wesley Chapel Toyota.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: car sales(men): the experience of a lifetime

I've had a couple of 'fun' experiences buying cars.

The first was when I was in Jacksonville Fl. My wife dropped me off at a car lot so I could look around while she ran the the store real quick and was coming back in a few. A salesman came out and I told him what I was looking for and my price range. He only had a couple cars that fell in the price. One of these cars was a station wagon. I wasn't sure since it would be my wife that would be driving it I told him that she would be back in a few and I would discuss it with her before making a commitment. He then told me: "OK, you ask your wife for permission to buy the car and I'll go ask my wife for permission to sell it to you." Needless to say, I told him exactly where he could stick the car and promptly left.

The other was many years later at a buy here, pay here place. The salesman kept trying to tell me that I would have to buy the extended warranty, $800, or their 'finance' company would not approve me. He kept this up for probably 2 hours going back and forth to the 'manager'. I finally told him that I would buy the warranty IF he would knock $800 off the price of the car. Of course he didn't go for that but 10 minutes later he said I was approved. When I went to sign the finance papers there was a sign on the wall that said loan approval did NOT require the extended warranty.

Just remember, the buyer is in control and can walk away at any time and know how to deal with high pressure sales tactics.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Re: car sales(men): the experience of a lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Nighthawk0o View Post
I've had a couple of 'fun' experiences buying cars.

The first was when I was in Jacksonville Fl. My wife dropped me off at a car lot so I could look around while she ran the the store real quick and was coming back in a few. A salesman came out and I told him what I was looking for and my price range. He only had a couple cars that fell in the price. One of these cars was a station wagon. I wasn't sure since it would be my wife that would be driving it I told him that she would be back in a few and I would discuss it with her before making a commitment. He then told me: "OK, you ask your wife for permission to buy the car and I'll go ask my wife for permission to sell it to you." Needless to say, I told him exactly where he could stick the car and promptly left.

The other was many years later at a buy here, pay here place. The salesman kept trying to tell me that I would have to buy the extended warranty, $800, or their 'finance' company would not approve me. He kept this up for probably 2 hours going back and forth to the 'manager'. I finally told him that I would buy the warranty IF he would knock $800 off the price of the car. Of course he didn't go for that but 10 minutes later he said I was approved. When I went to sign the finance papers there was a sign on the wall that said loan approval did NOT require the extended warranty.

Just remember, the buyer is in control and can walk away at any time and know how to deal with high pressure sales tactics.
Interesting stories. Thanks for sharing them!

I sold cars myself for over 5 years.

IMO, many times, the "pressure" is created by the customer, either expecting a grind, or wanting too much of a discount, putting the salesman in a "lose money" position on the deal!

And you're right. If the deal's going south, WALK AWAY!
― Criss Jami
BEWARE:Joecool44, aka 'joecool', anti-MLM fanatic, Trolls here anonymously!!
Click Here!
Joecools ugliest LIE!...~"I'm not hiding my identity."
Some common sense Re:MLM/DS can be found, here...!! Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Before you buy your next car ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamorigin View Post
If you are going to be purchasing a car in the near future let me help you buy it the right way. I can show you how to minimize that profit to save you money. I was a finance manager for several years at one of the largest ...... I will inform you as to what you can do and say to keep them from totally ripping you off. helpus
Okay, I am looking to buy a new car; how can you help?
Thanks for your offer.