report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Banned

Is WOT a scam?

The company is based out of Finland and rates sites good bad or dangerous.

Facebook uses there rankings to determine if a URL in FB can be clicked on or blocked. You can also install a plugin for security protection from badly ranked sites.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...browsing-tool/

They will charge you about $750 per year to keep your sites good ranking.

http://www.mywot.com/en/trustseal/comparison

I have found a few sites that are really angry with them. Here are a few

http://host-file.net/

http://www.affhelper.com/mywot-reviews-exposed/

It seems if you criticize WOT they rank your site Malicious and get it banned from Facebook.

MOD NOTE
This account has been banned as it was posted from the same IP as justasking4u.
Please read the Forum Rules;
Quote:
7. NO MORE MULTIPLE USERNAMES. On first offense the extra names will be banned and rendered unusable. If you make more to replace them, you will be blocked from using the site.

Bookmark and Share

Last edited by nomaxim : 05-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Is it time yet Mr. Washington?

Re: Is WOT a scam?

Quote:
Do Not Trust myWOT or Sami Tolvanen Rated

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-tool/reviews/

WOT retaliates against criticism and rates according to their political agenda. In March I wrote a critical review of WOT related to a sight they where attacking on their forum called stdcarriers.com. Sami Tolvanen responded against my criticism and we parried back and forth several replies.

I referred to my domain “wavefour.com” at the beginning of my critical review. Wavefour.com had no ratings at all when this started and within 6 hours was ranked deep into the red. At the beginning of this parry with Sami Tolvanen he copied my review on Mozilla and copied it to his myWOT forum and added some editorial that “Judging from the owner of wavefour.com, this probably has more to do with certain "internet marketers" that were caught trying to game the rating system some time ago though.”

Within 6 hours my domain was ranked deep into the red. You can all draw your own conclusions.

Video documentation can be found here.

http://youtu.be/PJix7FAsnrA
There are hundreds perhaps thousands of complaints regarding mywot. But the real mystery is why does Facebook partner with them?

Just Askin

MOD EDIT
Infraction (Warning) given for violation of Rule #7.
Please read the Forum Rules;
Quote:
7. NO MORE MULTIPLE USERNAMES. On first offense the extra names will be banned and rendered unusable. If you make more to replace them, you will be blocked from using the site.
Your other account deadsnow has been banned.

Last edited by nomaxim : 05-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned

This is the video Just Askin was talking about

Last edited by deadsnow : 04-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsnow View Post
The company is based out of Finland and rates sites good bad or dangerous.
Correction: WOT allows people to rate websites and computes the results.

Quote:
They will charge you about $750 per year to keep your sites good ranking.
This is false. WOT sells trust seals only to websites that have already earned a good reputation, and buying a seal has zero effect on the reputation. If the reputation changes to bad, the trust seal is removed from the site.

Quote:
I have found a few sites that are really angry with them. Here are a few
There are lots of people who are really mad with us. The examples you gave are from people selling HHO kits, which several people consider to be scams:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho_scam.shtml

Quote:
It seems if you criticize WOT they rank your site Malicious and get it banned from Facebook.
WOT doesn't rate sites, our users do. Since reputations tell you how much people trust sites, posting intentionally malicious content and defending known scammers often results in people not trusting your site.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
This is the video Just Askin was talking about
This video was created by Thomas Prendergast, who's business is incidentally being discussed in this thread:

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=11365

He and his friends tried to manipulate ratings and were banned. The site in the video was discussed on our forum. They appear to be quite unhappy about this.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
There are lots of people who are really mad with us. The examples you gave are from people selling HHO kits, which several people consider to be scams:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho_scam.shtml
This is outrageous. I'm going to drive to your head office in my water-powered car and have words with you. Just as soon as I can get my damn car to start.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 AM

Mywot and Sami Tolvanen punishes anyone that dares to speak out against them.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Here is an example of Mywot rating a site based on a political agenda. Onemillionmoms is a conservative based political action group.

This is there Purpose (in summary)
We are searching for one million moms who are willing to join the fight for our children. We want our children to have the best chance possible of living in a moral society.

http://www.onemillionmoms.com/purpose.asp

One of the comments lodged against Mywot's negative political biased campaign.

"The negative comments I have seen here have nothing to do with the security of the site, and everything to do with its content. This site is a way for social conservatives to lobby media and companies when problems relating to the entity's family-friendliness arise. It's very convenient to complete a form email through the OneMillionMoms.com site, and I appreciate receiving their email alerts to new problems I can help with. If someone disagrees with the content of this site, just avoid it; don't vent your spleen upon it by unjustly claiming it's not trustworthy. "

Many comments are lodged against the anonymous rating system and unknown person voting, but it seems it is coming to light that it is in fact the Wizard (Sami Tolvanen) behind the curtain that is in fact controlling and manipulating the rankings.

Looks like Facebook has cut ties with Mywot in favor of using other more reliable sources too.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi guys!

There are many businesses and websites suffering at this moment as WOT / Web Of Trust plugin is advertised as a security protection solution.

In reality it's just a rating system scam. Basically anyone can rate any website in any way. But no matter how you vote, the last deciding vote is with Sami Tolvanen and his buddies in crime.

Now, the plugin is a deception as it is advertised as a protection and security tool for surfers. It is not clearly stated that it is based on random opinions of their members who do not have a clue what hacking or anything else is.

The scam goes even deeper as they seem to be running an extortion. Your website gets in yellow by default, if it's not one of the corporations and companies of the ruling elite. Then you're asked to pay a so called "WOT Trust Seal", current prices are between $450 and $600 if I'm not mistaken. The if you do not pay, your website goes in the red.

Now, this is not my personal experience, mine is much worse because Sami Tolvanen is a big fan of Minecraft, the game I highly dislike and wrote an article about, he says I wrote it back in 2010. I can't remember that, but he and his buddies have it all documented.

Anyhow, if you want to find more and join me in the search for other people, I already found some people and websites, you can do so by reading first what happened to me:

http//www.codergames.com/news/games/myWOT-WOT-Web-Of-Trust-public-opinion-worldwide-scam/

The worse fact is that they won on the court back in 2011 in Florida, so they are protected by the ruling elite and are a part of global overtake of the Internet. Ruling elite members and services always attack on many different fronts not just a single one, hence SOPA, PIPA, CISPA and whatnot. Facebook was a ruling elite scam from the start, so what do you expect. But, they're doing it gradually, so you won't feel a thing. Keep in mind that they got many different scientists working on different human behaviors and analysis. Many homeless people and children died during experimentation since the 50ties. We're expendable to them, sheeple, slaves, etc.

So, we need to find each other, join, and start doing some serious damage! We need to spread the word to people and explain to them how to remove WOT plugin. We need many different websites to join in and distribute that information or put in on their websites. The WOT is also a security threat as when you uninstall it, it's not really uninstalled, seems to be a potential backdoor entry point onto your computer if you're connected to the Internet, so I've heard, this is not verified.

Last edited by codergames : 05-20-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

My previous message didn't post the link correctly, it repeated http:// twice

http://codergames.com/news/games/myW...orldwide-scam/

Last edited by codergames : 05-20-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

This is where you can post your experience with WOT and make sure nobody else is scammed as this is displayed to everyone who want to download their plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-tool/reviews/

Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Here is an example of Mywot rating a site based on a political agenda. Onemillionmoms is a conservative based political action group.
Umm, that's the American Family Association (AFA). They are a conservative Christian based political action group.

They've been listed as a 'hate group' by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) since November 2010 due to their Anti-gay stance.
splcenter.org
splcenter.org

Other sources;
huffingtonpost.com
iowaindependent.com
theatlanticwire.com

About the only thing that can likely be concluded from the MyWOT rating for Onemillionmoms.com is that more homosexuals use MyWOT then Christian Conservative gay bashers.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Thank you for making my point. It has nothing to do with 'trust', 'vendor reliability, 'privacy' and 'child safety'. It has everything to do with a political agenda.

It is not a Trust seal. It is a "I don't like what they're saying or not saying seal'.

And Sami Tolvanen is behind the curtain making it up as he wants.

He also lurks at other forums like Freelancer.com.au offering to fix your ratings for $3000 on the side.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justasking4u View Post
Thank you for making my point. It has nothing to do with 'trust', 'vendor reliability, 'privacy' and 'child safety'. It has everything to do with a political agenda.

It is not a Trust seal. It is a "I don't like what they're saying or not saying seal'.

And Sami Tolvanen is behind the curtain making it up as he wants.

He also lurks at other forums like Freelancer.com.au offering to fix your ratings for $3000 on the side.
Very similar things have been posted about RipOffReport (ROR) and Ed Magedson over the years. There have even been lawsuits in that case.

My point, which you apparently missed, was that using a website that has already been listed as a 'hate site' is not exactly a good public relations move.
Basically, onemillionmoms has been listed as a anti-gay website. Do people have the right to post those kind of remarks, yes they do. But, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of sympathy because they have low ratings.

And the Westboro Baptist Church's website is rated even lower the onemillionmoms;

Again, another 'hate' website. Since many people may find the messages on these websites detestable it shouldn't be shocking that they have low scores. They are not very good examples to use.

The Vatican has a rather high score by the way;

The Vatican also promotes a anti-gay policy. Yet, the Vatican does not have a low score like the other two.

I checked two other websites MyWOT ratings as well;
mywot.com/en/scorecard/naacp.org
mywot.com/en/scorecard/stormfront.org

Do I even have to point out that the NAACP has high ratings while StormFront has low ratings.

Perhaps, just perhaps, people simply do not care for racism, bigotry, and hatred.

NOTE
MyWot (WOT Services Oy) is registered, hosted, and located in Finland, so they do not fall under US law.

Last edited by nomaxim : 05-22-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 AM

Again that is my point. Mywot has nothing to do with "TRUST". It is all about political agenda.

Mywot terms make it clear what ratings are supposed to be. But the political agendas usurp this and in fact make Mywot misleading and a tool to cause unwarranted damage.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again that is my point. Mywot has nothing to do with "TRUST". It is all about political agenda.

Mywot terms make it clear what ratings are supposed to be. But the political agendas usurp this and in fact make Mywot misleading and a tool to cause unwarranted damage.
So basically, MyWOT is not enforcing their rules.

That isn't a political agenda. Their are just lazy, or perhaps overwhelmed.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Nope, Sami Tolveran, the owner defends the ratings as legitimate. However, you can always saunter on over to freelancer.com.au and he (Sami has an account there) will gladly fix your ratings for around $3000.00

Total scam.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope, Sami Tolveran, the owner defends the ratings as legitimate. However, you can always saunter on over to freelancer.com.au and he (Sami has an account there) will gladly fix your ratings for around $3000.00

Total scam.
Sorry.
But, I see no reason to 'saunter' anywhere to look for your evidence.

I'll just wait for you to post the links to substantiate your claims.