report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Corporate Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Has anyone tried (SMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbexperts.com View Post
The cost is $299 Full-Price to get involved with the wholesaling program.

Shipping charges are a bit outrageous!
Products are often out of stock!
Products are shoddy and low quality!

Most of the products are extremely hard to sell because of the low quality. I would still choose pass here because this is not a scam. But very few in this type of business ever make it into proifts. Unless you got huge amounts of money to invest and open up a storefront space. Better forget it and Look for something else.

Dumbxperts
I do think you can make good money from SMC. You just need to put a lot of effort and time.!

Last edited by smchbr : 10-21-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: SMC Scam--How Can We Stop This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Lord View Post
I recently found many blogs from people who were misled by Tom Bosley's infomercial asking us to go into business with Specialties Merchandise Corp. ("SMC"). I ordered their package for $315.00; however, others appear to have paid all kinds of different amounts. I was assured over the phone that I would have access to thousands of products on-line. I received the kit and once my website was up (for which I only have to pay $39/mo. for upkeep), i checked it out. It was pitiful. There were about 100 products total, and when I "turned the page," I occasionally had a blank screen. I was thinking that something was wrong with the website, technically. However, I talked to my "coach" and found that for another $5,100 I could have lots more product to sell on my website. What the heck?! I told my coach I wanted to cancel the whole thing, and she transferred me to a telephone message, which requested that I send a letter of cancellation to one address, send the kit back to another address, insured for $100 in order to track the shipment, and to call another phone number to cancel the website. This was on March 29, 2007. Since then, I've gotten several emails from SMC people asking me why I'm not selling anything yet? I've responded to each email that I cancelled my membership with SMC on March 29. Still their emails come, with no answer to my emails to them. I've read that the Better Business Bureau is not helping anyone, and they wonder who at the BBB knows someone at SMC. Complaints have been filed with the Attorney General's office but no one's gotten a response yet. I hear about lots of people getting scammed via infomercials and the internet. How can we stop this? What ever happened to "united we stand"? Sue
I have read a lot of good reviews and I wonder if you actually have spent enough amount of time in your business.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: smc corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1631 View Post
Hello to all current smc corp members. I just signed up butcan't get the business off the ground. Is anyone that can assit it this area? I pay to work under your business so I can learn how to make money with smc. I currently have website in construction but with all the product that can be sold through smc I have now clue what to sell. Thanks for any info that given
You may want to learn more about internet business. Buy a Book !

Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

SMC(speciality Merchandise Corporation)

This company does not stand by their words, They offer what seems to be great support and a way to make extra money but they never deliver. They try and upsell you on everything including advertising that I bought into but then they disappear into thin air. My "main contacts" offered little to no support and the whole thing has been a nightmare. I have spent a lot of money on their advertising and even on my own but it just does not work. I would never recommend anyone buy into this.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Specialty Merchandise Corporation SMC

1) Beware of SMC, especially the "coaches" that are really just sales reps
2) Beware of all the calls from marketers trying to help you succeed with SMC
3) Beware of the calls from companies trying to help you recover funds from SMC when you are not satisfied

If you are thinking about selling online:

The initial SMC websites are online catalogs only - you have NO CONTROL over pricing or any other relevant part of online selling. No one can purchase from the site without having a gift card first. Gift cards are another way SMC sucks the money out of people.

Try this first - select a couple of products you would like to sell, look them up on eBay and see if they are selling for more than you can buy them for from SMC. Want an example - look up "Slumbering Gnome": SMC Cost $13.95; eBay Buy It Now $8.41, $9.99. I actually liked the Slumber Gnome - at least until I let one sit outside for a while and all the color quickly faded away.

That is another thing about the products if you are going to keep them yourself or care about the quality you are selling - it is hit or miss - I have bird feeders than cannot be out in the weather, wind chimes that even protected from the elements fall apart from the sun. I will admin not all the products are bad but they are typically low cost Made in China stuff.

I like many others have SMC products filling up my house that I cannot sell for more than I paid for them. I recently had a yard sale where we took in more the $900 (not bad for a yard sale) and was unable to sell any of the SMC products for even a dollar over cost.

Some people can sell the stuff but you have to be a salesperson or have a lot of interactive skills.

I am working on trying to get money back - letters to BBB, the Federal Trade Commission, e-mails to SMC, if I knew how to contact a TV station I would. I know some people have gotten refunds, I am just now sure exactly how yet.

In the meantime I am going to try and contact as many new inductees to SMC website use and help them become aware of what they might be getting into and try to save them some money.

I would be glad to share what I have tried and what I have been told works and if anyone out there has any better luck I would like to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Kellie

Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM
The fly in your Anti-MLM ointment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoutbuilding View Post
1) Beware of SMC, especially the "coaches" that are really just sales reps
2) Beware of all the calls from marketers trying to help you succeed with SMC
3) Beware of the calls from companies trying to help you recover funds from SMC when you are not satisfied

If you are thinking about selling online:

The initial SMC websites are online catalogs only - you have NO CONTROL over pricing or any other relevant part of online selling. No one can purchase from the site without having a gift card first. Gift cards are another way SMC sucks the money out of people.

Try this first - select a couple of products you would like to sell, look them up on eBay and see if they are selling for more than you can buy them for from SMC. Want an example - look up "Slumbering Gnome": SMC Cost $13.95; eBay Buy It Now $8.41, $9.99. I actually liked the Slumber Gnome - at least until I let one sit outside for a while and all the color quickly faded away.

That is another thing about the products if you are going to keep them yourself or care about the quality you are selling - it is hit or miss - I have bird feeders than cannot be out in the weather, wind chimes that even protected from the elements fall apart from the sun. I will admin not all the products are bad but they are typically low cost Made in China stuff.

I like many others have SMC products filling up my house that I cannot sell for more than I paid for them. I recently had a yard sale where we took in more the $900 (not bad for a yard sale) and was unable to sell any of the SMC products for even a dollar over cost.

Some people can sell the stuff but you have to be a salesperson or have a lot of interactive skills.

I am working on trying to get money back - letters to BBB, the Federal Trade Commission, e-mails to SMC, if I knew how to contact a TV station I would. I know some people have gotten refunds, I am just now sure exactly how yet.

In the meantime I am going to try and contact as many new inductees to SMC website use and help them become aware of what they might be getting into and try to save them some money.

I would be glad to share what I have tried and what I have been told works and if anyone out there has any better luck I would like to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Kellie
IMO, it sounds like you should try a good, legit MLM that has a product or service that you'd love to use & recommend to anyone regardless of a profit motive.

Be careful out there, Kellie.

Welcome to the forum.
― Criss Jami
BEWARE:Joecool44, aka 'joecool', anti-MLM fanatic, Trolls here anonymously!!
Click Here!
Joecools ugliest LIE!...~"I'm not hiding my identity."
Some common sense Re:MLM/DS can be found, here...!! Click Here

Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Kellie, I have been selling SMC off and on for years. It will not make you a millionaire and anyone who thinks it will is likely delusional. However, it will put money in your pocket. I did flea markets in various cities and communities. My best day was at a Christmas market where I made over $500. $750 for the weekend. No, that's not pure profit. There was table rentals on top of my purchase price. SMC is like anything else worthwhile. You don't get something for nothing. You have to put in an effort. As for product quality, I will admit I've had issues but the support at SMC has been terrific and either replaced or credited me for any damaged or inferior products. It will not make me rich but een a few sales here and there help. And if you buy sale items, even better. Every spring I sell dozens of hammocks when they go on sale. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

SMC is a joke! There customer service is awful when you first join, all they do is lie to you in order to get you to spend more money ...... Beware of Ecommerce as well, they sell you on advertising and "guarantee" they will get people to your website .....it's all a joke! I have done a lot of advertising and nothing works. Anyone who read this....DON"T DO IT!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I made some money with smc, but i do agree it won`t make you rich at all. The problem with Smc is that they have too many commericals on tv. So when they get everyone sign up for a membership, there is no one left to sell to.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Don't be fooled! This will not make you any money! I even got sucked into E-commerce to "market" my website ....... I have sold almost nothing and I have distributed well over 250 catalogs, business cards etc ..... This is a big rip off! .......run the other way. If you are really that interested I will sell you my website for $1500 but I wouldn't trust anything anyone is telling you .....

Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Nobody's Fool Again!

This is one of the oldest scams in America. I cannot believe they are still allowed to operate and fleece people. Surely they are making some sizable "political contributions" somewhere. This gang is the classic textbook example of organized crime.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Nobody's Fool Again!

This is one of the oldest scams in America. I cannot believe they are still allowed to operate and fleece people. I remember my mother getting stuck with a lot of useless crap over 15 years ago from this company. Surely they are making some sizable "political contributions" somewhere.This gang is the classic textbook example of organized crime.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I am new at Scam.com

From my own research, smc charges you for a kit, I think $29, then upsells you for more services like website, oh about, $1200. Then, from what I understand there are problems with shipping services...alot of head acres. I could be wrong, this is just my due diligent research. I know there are some programs that have all the tools and that pay alot quicker! My secret paid... On the other hand, smc looks good, and you probably could make money at it! But you would have to have a plan and stick with it for a trial run like x amount of months or weeks and have a market place for the product. You'll find smc products in places like Wal-Mart where someone hit a gold mind there! See, if you have a market, plan, and action, anything is possible if you put your mind to it! Hope you find what works for you!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I sent away for the SMC kit as a teenager in the early 90's before the web took off. I ended up just returning the kit. I returned it a week late (past 30 days). Even though they had their kit back, they called my mother's house, tricked her into giving up my work number, and kept calling my work place demanding more money until I got fired. It turned out ok though - as a result I joined the Army and eventually finished college.

So thanks SMC for making it clear that I didn't want anything to do with you, and therefore changing my life for the better.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Does anyone have any idea on how to get your money back? Who can you go to? I spent over $7000 and got back about $3000 and no help with website. they kept taking my money and then shut my website before I got to sell anything.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Has anyone tried (SMC)

I signed up with smc about 3 years ago and i have made a decent amount of money... the things is people dont wanna make money...i do this part time and have no complaint and all i paid was 99.95 to get started and 49.95 yearly to kepp it going and 29.95 monthly for my website hosting fee. and i've made my money back and then some and am still making money....but i guess i just got the skills to get paid unlike the rest of you that seem to keep whining i bet half of you never even tried it and just need someone to talk to and are making up lies. I LOVE SMC and if you tried it you probably would to.

Last edited by loving smc : 03-13-2012 at 06:49 PM.