report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: Have you been scammed on ebay
yes 4 80.00%
no 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: ripped of on ebay

Hi Meri Widow
I was not sure if i could leave that information
The Sellers user name was ''double martini''
As Ebay have made him unregistered i can't get any more information on him
There are other people i have been in contact with that he also scammed
I payed by bank transfer .
The items i brought were for childrens birthdays and this seller knew that i find him/her disgusting
After being through seven years of drought i could finally afford to buy the two girls something special .

Kerry

Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Sorry to hear your scammer was particularly cruel, while the loss of money is difficult to recover from, sometimes it is the loss of trust in others and the lost chance to make someone else happy that is worse. Scammers have no problem taking a cancer patient's prescription money or the last bit of cash from a family facing foreclosure.

Unfortunately ebay and c ragislist have become havens for scammers who will rip off anyone and everyone. They find stock photos and 'borrow' them from legit websites, cut-n-paste emails and use anonymous ways to pay/pick up the cash.

The best suggestion I have to stick to paying by credit card. That is the only payment option that carries any kind of protection. Western Union, moneygram and green dot money cards have no refund policy of any kind, money sent is money gone forever. Bank transfers and paypal are no better. You transfer the money, the scammer picks up the cash with a fake ID and disappears.

If you have any emails with that 'seller' you could post those up. Scamming 'sellers' will frequently reused the same cut-n-paste emails on every victim and posting them makes them all googlable for other potential victims to find.

My other suggestion is to google everything, person's names, company names, yahoo chat IDs, MSN IDs, paypal IDs, email addresses, phone numbers, even sentences from the emails and post here and on every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find. You might find a post from a former victim and/or get opinions if you are dealing with a scammer.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I know this might not always make sense for smaller purchases like the one you decribe, but for expensive items you are purchasing on eBay or *****slist (or wherever) you might consider using an independent verification service like WeGoLook.com. They will have an independent representative contact the seller and arrange to meet to make sure the item actually exists and to verify the sellers claims. They will take current digital pics and provide them to you along with a simple report. If you order the Custom report they can even arrange transport or deliver the item to the shipper for you. Great service for expensive items.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Another EBAY scam

I know it's too late now, but for expensive items you are purchasing on eBay or *****slist (or wherever) you might consider using an independent verification service like WeGoLook.com. They will have an independent representative contact the seller and arrange to meet to make sure the item actually exists and to verify the sellers claims. They will take current digital pics and provide them to you along with a simple report. If you order the Custom report they can even arrange transport or deliver the item to the shipper for you. Great service for expensive items.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Brennan Helping Others

Ebay scam

I recently opened an account on Ebay to sell a ring. I got a message from a potential buyer and all they said was that they would be interested in buying it. They then told me that the payment had been processed and they would appreciate quick shipment.
I never received payment after several requests. I then found out that the person deleted their account. I relisted the ring again on Ebay and someone did the same thing to me. However, they changed their name. They are just trying to get me to send the ring immediately before I verified that I received payment. How stupid can I be? Anyways, keep this in mind!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Re: Ebay scam

You will probably receive dozens of emails from fake buyers, all will sound about the same: payment by check, use of some unknown shipping company, paypal 'payment' forever pending and/or use of some non-existent third party escrow service such as yahoo/ebay buyer's protection program.

Since you are selling a piece of jewelry, most scammers will try to convince you to send the ring before you are 100% sure you have the payment, whether it is by paypal or check.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-fraud-watching site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ebay Buy it now scam

I am really good at spotting scams, and have never been taken before luckily because I know how to spot the little details that identify it as a scam. I have helped numerous friends and family member avoid being scammed. But now, here I found myself almost being led into a scam. Luckily I think I caught it before any real damage was done.

I had a pickup truck listed for sale on Ebay with the buy it now feature enabled. One day out of the blue this davidappleton41davidjackpeter character pushes the buy it now button without ever asking me any questions about the vehicle or anything. So that was suspicious right there. Then I get to looking at his ebay profile, and he has zero feedback, and his account had just been created THAT DAY. So I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was a real person that was just looking through ebay and found my vehicle for sale and decided to create a new account so they could buy it.

So I email the person and tell him I need to know how and when he intends to pay for the vehicle, and how he intends to pick it up. So in response to my message he sends this from email address Peter Benson [peter.benson96@yahoo.com]:
Hello,
Thanks for your reply back, I will be very happy to buy the truck from you and i will be paying for the truck in full via cashier check so kindly email me back with your full name, address and contact phone number so that i can send you the payment as soon as possible.
Hope to read from you soonest
Thanks

Well, so far I am still playing into his game and thinking maybe it could still be real, so I sent him my address and phone number so he could send me the payment. Well then right after getting that message, I also get this message from him and it's showing his name as Peter Benson.

thanks for your immediate reply the payment will be sent out first thing tomorrow morning ,you will receive the payment within 4-6 working days am currently working on a project in UNITED KINGDOM, and my son lives there. i just want to inform you that i work on the crane at a contruction site, from 7am-9pm , this make me a very busy person. my shipper will handle the shipment for me.he will pick the car at your door-step i will be including the shipping fee to the cost of the car, all you need to do is to contact the shipper as soon as you get the payment all necessary information including the shipper's contact will be attached to the check. if you are ok with this arrangement pls kindly give a response pls send your cell number to me so that i can talk to you on phone.
Regards

So after reading that message, I am fully convinced that this is indeed a scam as it possesses many of the details that I have learned to recognize as a scam, such as the person being in another country, and never mentioning anything specific about the vehicle in question. Later after he allready told me he was sending payment, I get this message as well.

Am pleased with the buy it now price of your item, please kindy send your name and address so that i can issue out a
certified cashier check or money order to you.,,. sorry for any inconvenience if i have breached your sales term and
condition to make a deposit.i dont have a paypal account.NOTE: i will take care of the shipping and the shipping fee will
be included in the payment so that you can complete the transaction .After the payment has cleared in your account ,you
will contact my shipper, whose information will be attached to the payment.My shipper will handle all shipment
procedure.He will pick-up the vehicle at your door-step and ship it to my son.pls kindly get back to me with your full
name and address and Your phone contacts (home/office/mobile) for an effective communication.i will be looking forward to complete this transaction as soon as possible
thanks

So like I said, I am usually quite good at spotting scams, and figuring out what they are trying to accomplish. However, this one has me very confused since I am the one selling the vehicle this time, and he is telling me now: hello

the payment has been sent out to your address this morning
it comes with an intruction on how to contact the shipper
it will be delivered within 4-6 working days
pls mail me and contact the shipper as soon as you receive the payment

So I am very curious to see what the next step is going to be. If he really does send me payment, what his next move it going to be in trying to scam me. Am I actually going to get a cashiers check in the mail for the full price of the vehicle plus shipping like he says? But then what? If I have the money, and have verified it in my bank account, then what do you suppose his next move is going to be? Is he going to also be the shipper that I am supposed to contact? Then when I go to pay the supposed shipper he is going to somehow withdraw a lot more money from my account than the cost of shipping? I am very confused with this one since it is kind of backwards with my being the seller.

What do you all think? Right now where it stands, I am waiting for the payment to come. And when it gets here if it does, I intend to take it to the bank and explain to them that it appears to be a scam to me, and that I want them to determine if the funds are real. But I have a feeling that IF the funds are real, that it is probably some other poor scammed persons money, and I would be taking part in scamming someone else by accepting the money. I am fully expecting the funds to NOT be real, and for me to learn the rest of the story if the fake funds ever do actually arrive.

Like I said, this one really has me confused. I know it's a scam, I just haven't figured out how just yet!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Re: Ebay Buy it now scam

100% scam.

The check is fake.

You bank might not realize it for weeks but it will bounce.

Yes, you saw the red flags, out of country, vague replies, both huge red flags.

The "shipping company" is just the scammer using another of his fake names and free email addresses. That email will demand you cash the fake check and use Western Union or moneygram to send your cash to the scammer.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer.Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell you email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, then google for information and learn how. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Thanks for posting up those emails and email address from that scammer, making his scam googlable for a suspicious potential victim to find is a great way to slow him down.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Ebay Buy it now scam

Thanks so much for the reply! I wasn't sure what his next move was going to be, and was pretty sure I wasn't going to fall for it, but the way you describe it, I just might have. I will be sure not to cash or deposit that check.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

eBay ratings are a pile of ...

Recently I get lower than 5 stars for dispatch time. There was 2 feet of snow in Scotland, and deliveries in some parts of the UK at a standstill. Still eBay gaily rolls along with their new ratings system. Apparently my dispatch performance dipped in the EXACT SAME couple weeks...

What a pile of crock

Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ebay/Paypal Scam

So I am selling my truck right now on eBay for $17,500. I have had it in the local classifieds section for 2 days now and last night I decided to post it on eBay motors for everyone to see so I have a better chance at selling my truck.

Anyways, I get an email this morning from "Mary Woods" saying, "Hello, what a lovely item you have on post...is it still for sale? Mary Woods."

So immediately I got a red flag. Of course it's still for sale since I posted it last night. But anyways, I told her yes, it is still for sale.

She instantly emailed me back saying, "Hello
I will be offering you $17,500.00 for the truck I will be paying via PayPal. So please do reply me as soon as possible with your PayPal email address or email acct and also send me some pictures and the present condition of the truck. including your phone #,and do get back to me so we can arrange for pick up as i will like the truck to be picked, so no shipping included I await your reply, Mary."

So, playing along I said, "I have updated pictures on my for sale post since I made the post last night. How do I know this isn't just a scam? You've never identified my listing as being interested. Just said my "listing" and "truck."

She said, "OK, can i have your PayPal email address and you can contact my pick up agent"

So I know this is a scam, but I haven't heard anything with PayPal. Like once she sends me the money to my PayPal, isn't it mine? I don't see how this could effect me. I haven't wrote her back as I am 99.999% sure it is a scam, but the whole paypal thing is making me wonder.

Anyone care to explain to me? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Re: Ebay/Paypal Scam

100% scam, you are correct.

There is no buyer.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be "paypal" saying the money is "pending" and "will be released as soon as the shipping agent is paid". Then another fake email pretending to be from the "car shipping agent" will demand you immediately withdrawal the paypal money or simply send your own cash pay for "shipping costs" and send it only by Western Union or moneygram. Paypal does NOT send emails demanding you send cash or tracking numbers in order for the "funds to be released".

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake car shipping scam", "western union shipping fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts of victims and near victims of this type of scam.

Yes, you are correct, the fact that the buyer sent such vague emails is a HUGE red flag. Scammers never read the actual ad and just send the same stock copy/paste email to everyone selling everything in c_raigslist and ebay. Scammers always call what you are selling "item" or "this". Only after a few more emails might the scammer call what you are selling by name as he doesn't care what you are selling, he only wants your cash sent to him by accepting a fake paypal transfer or cash a large fake check.

The request for pictures is the scammer attempting to use your truck to steal other people's cash. Scammers love to steal pictures of vehicles for sale, collect real VIN#s and then "sell" your vehicle to hundreds of victims for the next decade. Scammers will also sell the pictures and information to their buddies who will also post ads all over to "sell" your truck to more victims.

Are you pictures w_atermarked or hosted remotely?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 AM
This is Business

delphi_oracle John Johnson EBAY LAB SUPPLIES

John Johnson
delphi_oracle
delphiranch@yahoo.com

John Johnson
5157 Round Lake Road
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
United States

I purchased benzyl alcohol, and a few sealed vials for lab project I had to complete for organic chemistry> he said it was 99+ percent PURE
after his chemical failed to hold my SERUM solution I knew that it had been exposed to oxygen. by the way, the whole reason I had to buy a chemicals from this person was. I was on two weeks leave for a major family event. Anyhow, when I got back to school. I explained my professor that I purchased chemicals that clearly weren't what they were arequdvertised as. HE claimed he had access to USP grade chemicals. He also claimed his vials were sterile. out of curiosity my professor ested irenic gas chromatography test> The results came back less than 90%. There is a 3% conversion. I could not remember but the rest of it was basically water> benzyl alcohol is often used for injections. Same with sterile vials. Lucky I wasn't one of these people because I'd probably be dead. I just wanted to make sure everyone out there is aware if they feel leery of this character. There was actual DUST with the second VIAL that it was actually visible to the naked eye>this guy is a big-time scam artist. He needs to be shut down immediately.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Triangulation scam on ebay

I bought an item on eBay and sent a money order and when I received the item I purchased I also had some postal guy show up to my door talking about credit fraud. The item I bought with a money order was actually bought with a stolen credit card. I may have to repay for the tv I bought. And the guy who I bought it from isn't caught. I did research and it turns out what happened was he purchased the tv from a retail site with stolen CC after I sent he money order.. My question is, how is it he can cash this money order without being caught?! How was he untraceable? I want justice and y money back.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Most Valued Gold Member

Re: Triangulation scam on ebay

he gave you a fake name and he also has a fake ID in same name. he used his fake ID to cash the money order. just my guess. the original seller of Tv should not have taken payment by credit card if the shipping address did not match the billing address, but, perhaps the crooks have a way to get around that, too.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Triangulation scam on ebay

Yup he got ahold of someones card and was taking MO's for stuff paid for by that card, then cashing. Youre out whatever you sent buddy sorry.... or it will be a pita to get back.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 AM
reporter7

FIGLIO DI GEORGIO -Is a Ebay Scam shoe Seller

FIGLIO DI GEORGIO -Is a Ebay Scam Seller

There site is http://www.fdg.gr
Dont buy from them if you are a regular seller in EBay.
They are truly honest scam individual and will be run away
after getting your payments .

Dont trust those scammers in Greece,

Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I am new at Scam.com

ripped off by a ebay seller

I recently paid 164.00 for a Wii system for my sons bday. 20 days have passed and there is not a Wii system in sight. The sellers name is alenscott84 and he has did this to a few people. Is there anyway I can locate this seller by his ebay account name because he is not replying to none of my messeges. I feel violated and I just want to find out what city he is from. Thanks